Great Churches/Cathedrals; post your favorite(s)

13,492 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by nortex97
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This one is on my bucket list to visit (great twitter follow, btw);

747Ag
AG
Saint Francis de Sales, Saint Louis, MO

Sapper Redux
Notre Dame before the fire

San Luigi dei Francesi In Rome

Has the Contarelli Chapel with 3 Caravaggio masterpieces

notex
AG
Not the most ornate church, but the largest organ Bach played/helped design would be neat to go visit/hear.

Quote:

The most impressive item in St Wenzel's is without a doubt the magnificent Baroque organ. This is the largest organ played by Bach and the largest organ built by the famous organ builder Zacharias Hildebrandt (1688-1757) that is still in working condition. It is played often.
Johann Sebastian Bach was instrumental in the design of this organ. He cooperated closely with his friend

Hildebrandt, who in 1743 received the contract for replacing the existing organ with a new, larger instrument. On 27 September 1746, J.S. Bach and master organ builder Gottfried Silbermann Hildebrandt's former teacher tested and approved the organ.

In 1748, Johann Christian Altnikol became the first organist a year later he became Bach's son-in-law. No existing organ in the world has more Bach in it. Altnikol observed in 1753 "… und wer diese Orgel gesehen und gehöret, der is niemals ohne Bewunderung davon hinweggegangen." (Implying, although the German is more descriptive and stronger, "no one who saw or heard this organ had ever left without being impressed")

Through the centuries, the organ was altered to reflect changes in taste and restored several times. The latest restoration completed in 2000 by Hermann Eule Orgelbau Bautzen returned the organ largely to the original condition to reproduce the sound as closely as is possible to what was heard in Bach's lifetime.
The Hildebrandt organ has around 3,300 pipes, 52 stops and is played via three manuals and a set of pedals see full technical description at Hildebrandt-Orgel.
edit to add picture, which I failed at.
Sapper Redux
St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin is similar. Not terribly large or ornate, but Jonathan Swift is buried there and it was the site of the first performance of Handel's Messiah. Definitely worth a visit.
nortex97
AG
I'll throw in with St Stephen's in Vienna and the Cologne cathedral as well. I'd actually enjoy a list of orthodox options, for those who are knowledgeable (or monasteries).

Of course the Hagia Sophia would be amazing to see, if sad.

Vienna:

Cologne (just a little nave!):

I've actually been to the Strasbourg one, which is cool, but life is too short so I am not sure I'll make it back, though it again has a fascinating history going back to some roman bits still in place.

The Germans, when I was there 15 or so years ago, seemed to be spending some pretty good money restoring some of their older remaining churches.
Serotonin
AG
Grace Cathedral in San Francisco:

Serotonin
AG
Quote:

I'd actually enjoy a list of orthodox options, for those who are knowledgeable (or monasteries).
For something a little different, there is a good amount of Byzantine-style architecture in Italy, which is probably a more accessible destination for most Americans than Orthodox countries:

Basilica of San Vitale (Ravenna):

https://mandalameadow.com/ravenna-mosaics/

Monreale Cathedral (Sicily):

La Mortana (Sicily):

https://arsartisticadventureofmankind.wordpress.com/2015/06/06/expansion-of-byzantine-art-through-sicily-and-southern-italy-norman-arab-byzantine-art/
jkag89
Basilica of St. Josaphat - Milwaukee. WI (Link gives some history, a few photos and VR 360 Tour)

Sapper Redux
The baptismal building at the Duomo in Florence is truly beautiful and deeply influenced by Byzantine / Orthodox art.

barbacoa taco
AG
Favorite one I've visited is the Catedral de Sevilla

nortex97
AG
Awesome. Thx.

The cathedral in Florence I think belongs on any top 20 list, though the interior to me, from pictures, is a bit disappointing.

Grace and Trinity churches in Manhattan are great, for a different/newer flavor, as are the two cathedrals in DC.
agfan2013
AG
Have been to Cologne Cathedral:

And Salzburg Cathdral:

Best I've been to in the US is Cathedral Basilica of St John in Savannah, Georgia:

Wish list:
Notre Dame - Paris
St Peter's - Vatican City
Pantheon - Rome
San Giovanni in Laterano - Rome
St Mark's Basilica - Venice
Win At Life
AG
I visited the one in Milan. They claim it has the tallest ceiling of any cathedral. It's been under continuous construction, expansion, remodel and repair for about 609 years. Quite amazing. You'll have to GIS images because I'm on a phone stuck in traffic.
Martin Q. Blank
The greatest church is one that faithfully preaches the gospel and administers the sacraments.
90 bull
AG
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Sofia Is amazing. Also the blue church in Bratislava

Can't believe I forgot Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
Also the mezquita in cordoba.
File5
AG
Pics or it didn't happen
Zobel
AG
my church is kinda pretty inside

UTExan
Milan:
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
UTExan
Win At Life said:

I visited the one in Milan. They claim it has the tallest ceiling of any cathedral. It's been under continuous construction, expansion, remodel and repair for about 609 years. Quite amazing. You'll have to GIS images because I'm on a phone stuck in traffic.

And a piece of the true cross inside…or so I was told.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
nortex97
AG
For those of us too poor/don't want to/can't go the Vatican also has a really cool virtual site, fyi;

https://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_pietro/vr_tour/index-en.html

https://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/index_sistina_en.htm
nortex97
AG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Saint_Paul_Outside_the_Walls

Some great pics;

Serotonin
AG
Beautiful.

If you are visiting London then Westminster Abbey and St Paul's get all the attention (and they are both incredible), but St Bartholomew is worth a visit, and if you go offseason there's a good chance you'll have the place to yourself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Bartholomew-the-Great

And for any Braveheart fans the church is located right next to the site where William Wallace was executed (marked by a plaque).
mesocosm
AG
My favorites are all of the ones in Europe that are no longer used as churches because of lack of churchgoers. The ones that become government offices, conference centers, bars & restaurants, movie theaters, secular schools etc.
RAB91
Cathedral of the Madeleine - Salt Lake City

jkag89
mesocosm said:

My favorites are all of the ones in Europe that are no longer used as churches because of lack of churchgoers. The ones that become government offices, conference centers, bars & restaurants, movie theaters, secular schools etc.
The building materials for Basilica of St. Josaphat (above) was salvaged from the United States Custom House, Court House, and Post Office in Chicago. . The entrance doors even use the brass hardware of the long-gone Federal Building. .

The Basilica has also outlived its replacement Fed building.
94chem
Chartres

Ulm Munster
Thaddeus73
AG
Notre Dame Cathedral Montreal - I never wanted to leave..Truly awesome..JPII said Holy Mass there...
nortex97
AG
That's incredible. Thx.
Serotonin
AG
nortex97
AG
LOL, some people do worship the fed, I suppose. Apropos your user name, it probably also generates stress to many, when considered.
Ag_of_08
AG
The Iglesia de San Joaquin de Flores in Heredia, Costa Rica is a positively beautiful church. It does not hurt that the priest who ran the church in the fall of '09 was an exceptionally kind man, who cared for the people of the town, catholic or not. I always put money in their collection plate when I went with the family I was living with to watch mass.

Thaddeus73
AG

St. Joseph's downtown Church, San Antonio
nortex97
AG
Pretty cool.

Many will know of this one, but it is neat to see/visit. St Mary's in Plantersville, TX ('the painted church').

(Yes, they have a periodic quilt show stilI I think).

Some cool older ones in Texas to see/visit are at this link;

http://texasescapes.com/Texas_architecture/TexasChurches.htm

Here are 5 cool ones I'd like to get to some day in South America.

nortex97
AG
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.