Get the Vax

38,491 Views | 470 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by PabloSerna
Star Wars Memes Only
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dermdoc
AG
Got a friend with a 20 y/o son, incredibly healthy, who developed myocarditis after the vax. This is being shown to be a side effect in young males.

He basically went into total body failure and was intubated for several weeks. Both legs amputated, liver and kidney failure, and may need a heart transplant.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KaneIsAble
AG
wow; that's terrible.
Repeat the Line
Your vax only works if everyone around you is vaxxed.
Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

Got a friend with a 20 y/o son, incredibly healthy, who developed myocarditis after the vax. This is being shown to be a side effect in young males.

He basically went into total body failure and was intubated for several weeks. Both legs amputated, liver and kidney failure, and may need a heart transplant.

I hope he's able to recover. That's an extremely rare response.

The odds of myocarditis from the vaccine are far lower than the odds from contracting Covid.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110737

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2784800

Compared to infection with Covid

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/08/31/covid-myocarditis-risk-children-083121

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34341797/
Martin Q. Blank
dermdoc said:

My friend from the military went to the hospital with heart trouble after getting the vax. They discharged him after a couple of days. Two weeks later he went back and died.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

While I feel terrible for your friend. . . .I believe that you've missed the point of the video.
dermdoc
AG
I did not watch it. Will do later. This is just fresh on my mind.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

I hope he's able to recover. That's an extremely rare response.

The odds of myocarditis from the vaccine are far lower than the odds from contracting Covid.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2110737

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2784800

Compared to infection with Covid

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/08/31/covid-myocarditis-risk-children-083121

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34341797/

Maybe so but things do happen.
jrico2727
AG
Did the new cult really need a new thread?
Sapper Redux
They do, and I don't want to downplay it. It is still important to keep the broader context. Your friend's son unfortunately hit the very worst kind of lottery.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

I did not watch it. Will do later. This is just fresh on my mind.
its 37 seconds long. . .
dermdoc
AG
I watched it.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

If I'm not old or fat, I'd rather contract Covid.
Aggrad08
AG
On the other front my coworkers husband is being buried this week. And an architect I work with died a month ago, he was 40 and wasn't obese.

dermdoc
AG
And imho, we should always question science. Science lovers by and large sure question my religion. And freedom.
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

No, you wouldn't. The odds of significant side effects are much higher with Covid than the vaccines.
Aggrad08
AG
I agree with this. Problem is I see people not questioning science but flatly admitting they won't believe it regardless.

Or some others who question science and drink up tweets and Facebook posts as gospel.

Sapper Redux
dermdoc said:

And imho, we should always question science. Science lovers by and large sure question my religion. And freedom.

There's "questioning science" and then there's, "I don't like what science says, so I'm going to find any excuse I can to avoid reality." I see a lot more of the latter than the former in the anti-vaccine, anti-mask crowd.
Repeat the Line
The best source of scientific data is Wikipedia, followed very closely by the R&P agnostic crew (none of which are even employed in scientific or medical research).
Martin Q. Blank
Sapper Redux said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

No, you wouldn't. The odds of significant side effects are much higher with Covid than the vaccines.
I've had Covid. I'm fine.
Sapper Redux
SEATAC Aggie said:

The best source of scientific data is Wikipedia, followed very closely by the R&P agnostic crew (none of which are even employed in scientific or medical research).

JAMA and the NEJM are now Wikipedia? What sources are you using?
Sapper Redux
Martin Q. Blank said:

Sapper Redux said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Good for you. Going off of the stats, you're much better off with the vaccine. Much, much better off.
Martin Q. Blank
Sapper Redux said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Sapper Redux said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Good for you. Going off of the stats, you're much better off with the vaccine. Much, much better off.
From the whole 1 year of data we have? No thanks.
Sapper Redux
Millions infected and millions vaccinated. The data is far better than most.
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

dermdoc said:

There's "questioning science" and then there's, "I don't like what science says, so I'm going to find any excuse I can to avoid reality." I see a lot more of the latter than the former in the anti-vaccine, anti-mask crowd.
That is so arrogant I do not know where to begin. The amount of projection, generalization, moral superiority, etc. is off the charts. I do not presume to know how you think. Please do not assume you know how others do.

Thanks.
Sapper Redux
I've looked at the "evidence" being used frequently and shared. It's not science.
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

I've looked at the "evidence" being used frequently and shared. It's not science.

Show me a definitive study that show that masks do much unless they are N95s.

You can't because you can not do the trials that are necessary due to ethics.

Do you really believe these folks walking around HEB with the blue cotton masks are doing any good?

Sometimes you have to think critically and use common sense. And not just blindly follow "science" which often is biased. Trust me, I have a lot of experience of writing and reviewing scientific articles. Amazing how stats can be used to say what you like or to support who is paying you.

And I have really tried to stop being a pompous turd, but I can still smell and spot them. Very easily.
Martin Q. Blank
Sapper Redux said:

Millions infected and millions vaccinated. The data is far better than most.
Than most of what?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Good luck gathering all the adverse side effects. The system is rigged. Keep trusting big pharma though.
dermdoc
AG
Did your studies of myocarditis factor in what a patient's chances were they would get the virus? Or just what the incidence of myocarditis in people known it have Covid? Because if not, it is worthless.

There is one hundred percent chance of getting the vaccine if you choose to get it.

There is not a 100% chance you will get Covid if you are not vaccinated.
Sapper Redux
What are the odds? It's certainly not low that you can avoid Covid without extensive precautions.
88Warrior
dermdoc said:

Sapper Redux said:

Show me a definitive study that show that masks do much unless they are N95s.

You can't because you can not do the trials that are necessary due to ethics.

Do you really believe these folks walking around HEB with the blue cotton masks are doing any good?

Sometimes you have to think critically and use common sense. And not just blindly follow "science" which often is biased. Trust me, I have a lot of experience of writing and reviewing scientific articles. Amazing how stars can be used to say what you like or to support who is paying you.

And I have really tried to stop being a pompous turd, but I can still smell and spot them. Very easily.

My whole problem with the mask mandate from the beginning….

In the occupational world OSHA says in order to prove a mask is protecting you adequately you must go through either a Quantitative or Qualitative fit test (with the actual mask you plan on wearing) It doesn't take a whole lot to fail one of these test ( ie. razor stubble, scars on the sealing surface, fat face, skinny face etc. etc.) So now the government is certain any person can put on a face covering or mask and be protected from a virus…I've been involved with these test for almost 30 years…just not buying it…
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

What are the odds? It's certainly not low that you can avoid Covid without extensive precautions.

Disagree. I never shut down and still saw 60 people a day all last year. And I was 65 y/o. Sometimes wore a mask. Never social distanced and went to all the Aggie away games.

Why did I not get it?
Sapper Redux
You know as well as I do that the plural of anecdote is not data. Given the transmissibility of Delta, the odds of avoiding the virus entirely are extremely thin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.