lost job due to no vax

31,388 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Reload8098
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If a member of your church is not vaxed, what are your thoughts as to whether others in the congregation should help to support this person and his family financially if he loses his job as a result? I have heard of some pastors taking this position.
diehard03
seems kinda silly to punish his family by having them go without food or lose their housing, doesn't it?
powerbelly
AG
I would hope my church would take care of struggling members no matter how they ended up struggling.
dermdoc
AG
powerbelly said:

I would hope my church would take care of struggling members no matter how they ended up struggling.

Agree. But as a Christian and a doc I would encourage them to get the vaccination.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
powerbelly said:

I agree. I'm just not sure how universal this might be.
Azeotroper
I'm still wrapping my head around the reality that the government and businesses are telling people "inject this and we will let you work here". My WW2 grandfathers fought for this??
powerbelly
AG
Azeotroper said:

I'm still wrapping my head around the reality that the government and businesses are telling people "inject this and we will let you work here". My WW2 grandfathers fought for this??
This isn't the first vaccine mandate. I had to have certain ones to attend A&M. Businesses have had vaccine requirements for employment for years. This is nothing new.

I am firmly against these mandates from government but businesses should be allowed to set employment requirements as they see fit as long as they are legal.

FTR your grandfathers were required to receive typhoid, smallpox, and tetanus vaccines or face court martial IIRC.

ETA: Source for GIs required vaccines.
Sapper Redux
Azeotroper said:

You mean the guys who came from a violently segregated society?

Vaccine mandates are older than the republic. Washington forced his soldiers to get inoculated. Boston instituted vaccine mandates in the 1820s. Other mandates have been implemented repeatedly throughout our history.
PacifistAg
AG
Azeotroper said:

Government has long said "inject this and we will let you go to school here". Businesses are free to set their own policies and terms for employment. I have an issue w/ government, but private businesses are acting within their rights. So, from a private entity perspective, yes this is what your WW2 supposedly fought for.
Azeotroper
Ok how about "we will let you work here if you inject this in your body to protect you from dying from a pathogen with a 99.5% survivability." I'm glad my career choice was self employment. We just shrug our shoulders and say "whatever".
Star Wars Memes Only
I'm curious, do you have an objection to the government mandate in principle, or because you believe the virus is not deadly enough to merit a mandate?
PacifistAg
AG
Azeotroper said:

Ok how about "we will let you work here if you inject this in your body to protect you from dying from a pathogen with a 99.5% survivability." I'm glad my career choice was self employment. We just shrug our shoulders and say "whatever".
Private businesses have the right to set their policies as they see fit. You aren't entitled to work for them. If you cannot meet their terms of employment, you can find employment elsewhere. Stop acting entitled.

Kudos for you being self-employed. As a result, you can set your policies at your business as you see fit. Why would you deny other private businesses the same right?
Sapper Redux
Azeotroper said:

Over 740,000 Americans are dead. Millions more are suffering from debilitating long term problems. Global supply chains have been badly disrupted. Survival is not 99.5% for those who catch it. And the virus continues to mutate.
PacifistAg
AG
Azeotroper said:

Btw, the problem wasn't with how you initially worded it. Or that you seemed to be trying to hide behind your grandfathers. The problem was your position itself that infringes upon the rights of private business owners. You seem to believe those are rights that only you should enjoy.
Azeotroper
Gotcha chief. I'm a private business owner since 1987. I don't tell employees what to put in their bodies. You think it's acceptable. It's a free country. (Lol)
dermdoc
AG
powerbelly said:

Azeotroper said:

This isn't the first vaccine mandate. I had to have certain ones to attend A&M. Businesses have had vaccine requirements for employment for years. This is nothing new.

I am firmly against these mandates from government but businesses should be allowed to set employment requirements as they see fit as long as they are legal.

FTR your grandfathers were required to receive typhoid, smallpox, and tetanus vaccines or face court martial IIRC.

ETA: Source for GIs required vaccines.

You are correct. And of course you could not attend school without vaccination records.

I am against government mandates on anything but this is not new.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PA24
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Azeotroper said:

Over 740,000 Americans are dead. Millions more are suffering from debilitating long term problems. Global supply chains have been badly disrupted. Survival is not 99.5% for those who catch it. And the virus continues to mutate.
Per the CDC
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

In America

46,000,000 have had it. 750,000 have died from it.

98.5% survival rate.

The majority who die are over 70 with issues or just plain fat.

What is the hurry for getting a shot that has been around for 8 months?

If I was planning to have kids, I would be concern. I don't think it is worthy of a mandate.
Sapper Redux
PA24 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Azeotroper said:

Per the CDC
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

In America

46,000,000 have had it. 750,000 have died from it.

98.5% survival rate.

What is the hurry for getting a shot that has been around for 8 months?

If I was planning to have kids, I would be concern. I don't think it is worthy of a mandate.

Ah, yes, the staunch pro-life position that fat people and old people don't matter as much. And a 1.5% mortality rate is very high and very dangerous on a macroscopic scale.
PacifistAg
AG
Azeotroper said:

Gotcha chief. I'm a private business owner since 1987. I don't tell employees what to put in their bodies. You think it's acceptable. It's a free country. (Lol)
Good. You can set that policy. If you wanted, though, you would be well within your rights to demand they be vaccinated. They can choose to remain employed with you, or they can take their labor elsewhere.

I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp for you. They are merely exercising the same rights as a private business owner that you are. Stop being entitled.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

All who die bore God's divine image. Just because many are older or have other health issues doesn't make the loss of life any less tragic.
PacifistAg
AG
Its Texas Aggies, dammit said:

If a member of your church is not vaxed, what are your thoughts as to whether others in the congregation should help to support this person and his family financially if he loses his job as a result? I have heard of some pastors taking this position.
I would hope my church would support anyone in need. Don't care if it's due to their refusal to get a vaccine, or if they were an addict or sex worker.
Star Wars Memes Only
Discussing how dangerous a disease is in terms of only its mortality rate is kind of inane. At minimum, you should factor in transmissibility as well. The 2014 Ebola outbreak, though deadly, ended up being far less significant than Covid. The damage done matters more than mortality rate or transmissibility or any other single number. How some are so easily able to write off 750,000 Americans, and millions of people worldwide, is beyond me.
Dilettante
The mortality rate is much lower than 1.5%. Counting cases is different than counting infections.
jrico2727
AG
It's just a pinch of incense what's the big deal. Don't you love your family enough to bow to Caesar? The vax has made godless leftists both pro life and anti-choice. So it's clearly miraculous. Just hold your breath and take your medicine or you deserve to loose your livelihood, and your freedom.

All hail Fauci
PacifistAg
AG
I wonder how close to a single circle would the venn diagram be of those screaming "vaccine = bowing to Caesar" and those who had aneurysms at the thought of athletes taking a knee during the anthem.
Dilettante
You should go for a walk.
PA24
AG
Psalms 90:10

Duncan Idaho
Dilettante said:

The mortality rate is much lower than 1.5%. Counting cases is different than counting infections.
he should do the math for polio.

Hint: it is a really really really small number
PA24
AG
Dilettante said:

The mortality rate is much lower than 1.5%. Counting cases is different than counting infections
Yep
PA24
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Dilettante said:

he should do the math for polio.

Hint: it is a really really really small number
Baby Jane vs Grandpa, a sickly grandpa at that.

Duncan Idaho
Sweet proof texting from the old testament. That always works well.

Should I pull up the verse the calls for social distancing and mask wearing?

At a minimum hope you arent wearing blended fabrics
PacifistAg
AG
PA24 said:

Is this supposed to be your way of justifying a dismissive attitude about the deaths of those created in God's image?
PA24
AG
Psalms 90:10 was written by Moses, the author of the Pentateuch, first 5 books of the Bible.

It reads man will live to be 70, 80 if he is healthy.

Average age in America is 78 for man.

In the world is 76.

He nailed it.
Star Wars Memes Only
PA24 said:

Psalms 90:10 was written by Moses, the author of the Pentateuch, first 5 books of the Bible.

It reads man will live to be 70, 80 if he is healthy.

Average age in America is 78 for man.

In the world is 76.

He nailed it.

And if he lives any longer we'll ensure conditions are such that he's taken out!
PA24
AG
PacifistAg said:

PA24 said:

Is this supposed to be your way of justifying a dismissive attitude about the deaths of those created in God's image?
I justify everything thru scripture my fellow sinner.

People that are gluttonous should stop that lifestyle. Your body is the temple of your soul.

Unfortunately, the world continues to fight obesity due mainly to bad habits. I definitely understand, I could easily be over weight as I love the taste of unhealthy foods, especially ice cream.

Who doesn't like ice cream, chocolate ice cream mixed with some chocolate syrup and crushed nuts.
Yep, I understand the crave for things we shouldn't do and if we do, only in moderation.

Kinda like smokers, why should my insurance be higher for people that purposely harm their bodies?

Maybe a mandate agains unhealthy habits.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.