Should Christians read the Book of Jasher?

9,182 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PacifistAg
codker92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Most Christians know that the bible is not just one book. 66 in modern English translations. Less well known is that biblical writers refer to other ancient books as sources for their own books. Some of those books are lost. But sometimes rumors or evidence surfaces of finding that old book. One such book is the book Jasher.

Other examples are:

• the "Book of the Wars of the Lord" (Numbers 21:14)
  • the "Visions of Iddo the Seer" (2 Chronicles 9:29)
  • the "History of Nathan the Prophet" (2 Chronicles 9:29)
  • the "Prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite" (2 Chronicles 9:29)
  • the "Book of the Acts of Solomon" (1 Kings 11:4)
  • Other eyewitness accounts of the life and works of Jesus (Luke 1:1-2; John 21:25)

One of the more well-known lost books is the "Book of Jasher" (also spelled "Jashar" by some). It is mentioned in the Old Testament books of Joshua (10:13) and 2 Samuel (1:18). In Hebrew, the language in which the books of the Old Testament were originally composed, the name is sepher hayyashar. The word yashar means "upright" and so this lost book is at times referred to as the "Book of the Upright" or "Book of the Righteous."

Because of the number of times that scripture quotes the Book of Jasher and the fact that scripture refers to the Book as the Book of the Upright or the Book of the RIghteous, some scholars suggest that we should consider the Book as Scripture and include it in our reading.

One discussion of the lost book additionally notes that "Some scholars have suggested a third [reference] in 1 K[gs] 8:12," (Orr, Harrison, 1979-1988) where Solomon says, "The Lord has set the sun in the heavens, but has said that he would dwell in thick darkness." The Septuagint, the ancient Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament, translated this line as "written in the book of the song," which, in Hebrew (sepher har), sounds very much like sepher hayyashar. It may be that the Greek translator misread his Hebrew text and his "book of the song" is actually a reference to the "Book of Jasher."

Some scholars think Jasher is the same book as the "Book of the Wars of the Lord" because that book and Jasher were sources relating to military exploits. However, "the quotations [in Joshua 10:13 and Numbers 21:14] differ in metre, style and general contents," so other scholars doubt the association (Van Selms, 1996). On the other hand, because of this possible musical reference, some scholars believe the Book of Jasher was "a collection of odes in praise of certain heroes of the theocracy, interwoven with historical notices of their achievements" (Woudstra, 1981).

The Book of Jasher: Claims of Discovery
The Book of Jasher has a long history of publicationone that no modern scholars believe involves the true ancient book quoted in the Old Testament. A detailed accounting is available in the articles by Chiel (1977) and McClintock and Strong (1891). Chiel's research can be summarized here:
Printed Hebrew editions of a book publishers called "The Book of Jasher" appear as early as 1625 (Venice). An earlier edition may have been published in Naples in 1552, though there is some uncertainty on that point. The Venice publisher was Joseph ben Samuel. He marketed the work by two tales of the Hebrew book's survival from antiquity. That the details of ben Samuel's account have never been confirmed in any other account or ancient source speaks loudly for the inauthenticity of the stories.

The Book of Jasher was discovered after the destruction of Jerusalem by Sidrus, of the officers of Titus.

The Book of Jasher: Publishing a Fraud
Joseph ben Samuel used the above tales about Sidrus and Ptolemy II to legitimize his 1625 edition. That work in turn was printed successively in various places, including Krakow (1628), Prague (1668), Frankfort-am-Main (1706), and Amsterdam (1707). It was translated into Yiddish in 1674 and into Latin in 1732.
The authenticity of Joseph ben Samuel's Hebrew edition of the Book of Jasher went unchallenged until 1828. Arthur Chiel summarizes what happened:
. . . n early November of [1828] the Bristol Gazette carried a story that Philip Rose, a publisher in that city, was soon to release a remarkable volume, The Book of Jasher. The report indicated that this was the English version of an ancient Hebrew scroll discovered in Persia in the eighth century, by the renowned English churchman, Alcuin. Alcuin, who had been summoned to France by Emperor Charlemagne to be his personal counsellor, had learned that the Book of Jasher was to be found in the royal Gazna library. He determined to make the perilous journey to the far-off Persian city where, eventually, in return for heavy payment of gold, he was permitted to study the scroll for a period of three years, and to translate it into English. It was this one thousand year-old English translation that was now being published.
Next, on November 19, 1828, a letter appeared in the London Courier over the signature of Moses Samuel, a Hebrew scholar of Liverpool. He, too, had come into possession of the Book of Jasher, the Hebrew text; it had been brought to him by a Jew from North Africa. Moses Samuel went on to say in his letter that he was currently translating the work and preparing a critical edition of it. He conceded that, while certain later additions had been made to it, the core of the work was, indeed, very ancientperhaps two thousand years old.
Within days of Moses Samuel's letter in the London Courier, a lengthy and learned epistle appeared in the Berliner Nachrichten. It was, in fact, a treatise suited to a scholarly journal. The Book of Jasher was there carefully analyzed and its origins were traced to the twelfth or, perhaps, the eleventh century. It was, in all likelihood, written in Spain by a talented Hebrew. . . . The signatory of the indignant response which appeared in the Berliner Nachrichten was none other than Leopold Zunz, the father of Jdische Wissenschaft [i.e., the founder of modern academic Judaic studies]. (Chiel, 371-372; cf. Singer and Hirsch)
Recall that, in Joseph ben Samuel's otherwise un-witnessed and unproven story about the history of his 1625 publication of the Book of Jasher, the Hebrew text had come to Venice (perhaps by way of Naples) from Spain. The Spanish provenance suggested by the result of the scholarly essay in Berliner Nachrichten suggests quite strongly that Joseph ben Samuel's edition of the Book of Jasher originated in Spain and was therefore not ancient, ben Samuel having fabricated an earlier ancient history for the Spanish literary creation. But the truth is a bit more complicated as Chiel elaborates once more:
Zunz had, indeed, locked horns with Samuel over the Book of Jasher, the Hebrew Aggadic [i.e., Midrashic] work. . . . [T]he Bristol Gazette story, however, was related to an entirely different Book of Jasher. This one was the ingenious product of the pen of Jacob Ilive, a Christian deist, who, with his brothers, Abraham and Isaac, ran a quality printing establishment in London for several decades. The Ilives were exponents of a variety of non-conformist ideas, and Jacob became a prolific writer of tracts in which he elaborated their views. In them he inveighed against the doctrine of eternal damnation [and] favored a religion of nature and denied the divinity of Jesus. In 1751 Jacob created a sensation with the latest work which he brought off the family's London press, the Book of Jasher. In the title-page he informed his readers that this book "was translated into English from Hebrew, by Flaccus Albinus Alcuinus of Britain, Abbot of Canterbury, who went on a pilgrimage into the Holy Land and Persia, where he discovered this volume in the city of Gazna." (Chiel, 372)
It was this translation that Philip Rose was re-publishing in 1828. Ilive's literary creation (the alleged ancient English translation of the Book of Jasher) was deemed a fraud from its initial publication. It bore all the marks of the doctrinal eccentricities of the Ilive family, complete with a rejection of the divine revelation of the Torah. Chiel notes that in Ilive's Book of Jasher, "Jethro emerges as the 'founding father' of Israel's law code. It was Jethro who convokes Moses and the seventy elders on Mt. Sinai where he instructs them about the governance of Israel" (Chiel, 373).
Ilive was actually arrested for the fraud and imprisoned three years. Nevertheless, his Book of Jasher continued to sell and, in one form or another, be re-published in subsequent eras:
This clumsy forgery was reprinted at Bristol in 1827 [sic], and published in London in 1829, as a new discovery of the book of Jasher. A prospectus of a second edition of this reprint was issued in 1833 by the editor, who therein styles himself the Rev. C. R. Bond. This literary fraud has obtained a notoriety far beyond its merits in consequence of the able critiques to which it gave rise, having been again exposed in the Dublin Christian Examiner for 1831, and elaborately refuted by Horne in his Introduction (ut sup.; new edition, iv, 7416). (McClintock & Strong, 787-788)
It was news of the re-publication of Ilive's fraud that prompted Zunz to publish his scholarly analysis of the Hebrew text that allegedly undergirded the English work.
To date, then, there is no reason to think that any Book of Jasher one finds for sale on the internet is authentic, either in Hebrew or English. At best the Hebrew text originated in the eleventh or twelfth century AD and is thus medieval. The English translation was created in 1751. The lost Book of Jasher is still lost.

https://www.fringepop321.com/the-book-of-jasher.htm

747Ag
AG
*73* books
codker92
AG
I was not referring to post-modern christians.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Your post says all known copies are frauds and the real book is lost. So, to answer your question in the post title, I'm going with "no"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
codker92
AG
Yeah that's the point. Obviously if the real version became known it would be worth reading. But the real Book of Jasher is still lost. No one would know this if we did not have rigorous critical analysis of the texts.
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

747Ag
AG
codker92 said:

I was referring to Christians that existed prior to the 16th century as well as those that still adhere to such teaching.

*laughing hysterically gif*
747Ag
AG
Should Christians read the book of Tobit? Maccabees?

codker92
AG
I was referring to believers who existed after 1000s of years of revelation in 0AD who think only they know what scripture says.
UTExan
Just thinking that some on-line diploma mill will soon adopt the moniker:

Get your degree in ***General $tudies*** using your Covid money!
This is your key to a secure financial future!
Campuses found wherever there is a laptop!

-----The University of Jasher----
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

I was referring to believers who existed after 1000s of years of revelation in 0AD who think only they know what scripture says.
Can you give us examples? Some names? You keep using the term "post-modern" but don't really explain who you're talking about.
codker92
AG
Here is a book explaining what post-modernism is.

https://www.christianbook.com/a-primer-on-postmodernism/stanley-grenz/9780802808646/pd/08646?event=AFF&p=1011693&

I actually disagree that post-modernism started in the 20th century though. In the context of biblical study, post modernism started before Christ. Post-moderns are anyone who think that careful scrutiny of scripture is not commanded by God. Several sects in second temple Judaism held this view. This is the mystical Judaism Paul railed against in Colossians and Ephesians. They think that everyone's opinion on scripture is important as long as somone has a good "experience" or some story to tell. On the other hand, believers are commanded to be discerning with scripture, and to carefully test everything. God never expects us to reflexively disengage our brains and just believe what someone tells us. We were created as God's imagers. One of the tools to enable us to represent our Creator, to image him, is rationality. That quality and faith are not incompatible and shouldn't be treated as such. Only opinions that are willing to do the work to back their statements up with data and facts should have any value to Christians.

In a nutshell, Christians should be skeptical of everything and willing to believe anythingwhen it survives critical thinking and doesn't violate what the biblical text can sustain. Scripture itself commands us to judge such things critically:
  • For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Do not let your prophets and your diviners who are among you deceive you, and do not listen to the dreams that they dream. (Jer 29:8).
  • Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. (1 John 4:1).
  • Test everything; hold fast what is good. (1 Thess 5:21).

ramblin_ag02
AG
I think we all have a good idea what post-modernism means, but you flat out state that use you an entirely new and different meaning when you use it. If you're going to use a common word in a unique way, then you might consider making up your own word or putting an asterisk or something
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Okay, so no. You won't give any actual names so we can have an idea of what you're talking about. Since, as ramblin points out, you are using the term in ways that we don't commonly use it today, actual names would be helpful so we can look at them and have an idea of what you're talking about.
Quote:

Only opinions that are willing to do the work to back their statements up with data and facts should have any value to Christians.
Uh, this is simply not true. Faith, at its very core, is something that can't be backed up with data and facts. Show me the data that God exists. Show me the data that Christ resurrected. Our faith is counted as foolishness to the world, because, in part, it's faith in the miraculous and unseen. This sounds more like Ayn Rand and her objectivism, which is entirely incompatible with the Christian faith.
codker92
AG
Did Jesus actually factually rise from the dead? It doesn't matter whether you think he did. Regardless of what you think he did.

Here is a post modern.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Heidegger
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

Did Jesus actually factually rise from the dead? It doesn't matter whether you think he did. Regardless of what you think he did.

Here is a post modern.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Heidegger
Yes, I believe He did. Can I use facts or data to prove that? No. It's a matter of faith. That's why your statement is so nonsensical.

And thank you for finally providing a name. I'll see if he wore skinny jeans.
codker92
AG
Here are facts and data.

See William Lane Craig's Reasonable Faith and The Son Rises, J.P. Moreland's Scaling the Secular City, and Gary Habermas' The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus and Did Jesus Rise from the Dead?, a debate with then-atheist Anthony Flew
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

Here are facts and data.

See William Lane Craig's Reasonable Faith and The Son Rises, J.P. Moreland's Scaling the Secular City, and Gary Habermas' The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus and Did Jesus Rise from the Dead?, a debate with then-atheist Anthony Flew
So can you provide facts and data that prove Christ's resurrection? Or are you just relying on others providing "facts and data"? If the latter, then shouldn't we, as Christians, place no value in what you say since you can't back them up?
PacifistAg
AG
So are you no fan of Christian mystics?
codker92
AG
If someone owes you $100, do you tell them that cash is no good because they are providing the US governments money instead of that own individual persons money? Nobody does that. I have freely available information from reputable sources that are peer reviewed. Those are good enough. To require otherwise is dishonest because nobody really lives that way in practice.
PacifistAg
AG
Got it. I'll disregard your opinion going forward, and just listen to those you cut/paste from.
codker92
AG
It doesn't matter what you think post modernism is.
codker92
AG
This is actually becoming a serious problem. So many people are being duped into reading glorified "religion" or "spirituality" books as a substitute for scripture or peer-reviewed or tested materials, even in seminaries.

These books claims to have special secret knowledge of heaven or words from angels. New age stuff etc.
PacifistAg
AG
Which books? Sorry, I honestly don't mean to pester, but you keep speaking in these vague terms. It makes it much easier to identify these problematic works if you're more specific.
DirtDiver

Quote:

Should Christians read the Book of Jasher?

I apologize for not reading the entire long post however I think I have an answer for the initial question. A Christian is one who has placed their faith in Jesus and is saved. Now given that, I do not think any book is off limits for reading and educating oneself on what other books say or what other people believe. I do think however one's maturity may help determine when they read certain things.

A Christian who is not grounded in biblical truth and have a deep understanding of the Bible may be carried away by whatever tickles the ears. Grounded Christians may be able to read other texts and write statements on why the other material is not true.

*I'm not recommending that Christians read trashy romance novels with no educational value.
codker92
AG
One example is Zecharia Stichin's theories on ancient astronauts. Theories about a universal consciousness etc.

There is a really good article about the phenomenon in this journal. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249981603_Presumed_Immanent_the_Raelians_UFO_Religions_and_the_Postmodern_Condition

They publication talks about how a french race car driver claimed to see a UFO and then created a religion from it. The religion now has 60,000 followers. It just goes to show how vulnerable people really are to believing anything today. People are so detached from scripture and God's Word that they will listen to anyone who has a story to tell.

Probably the biggest mistake I see is the belief that Jesus rose from the dead because people believe it, not that Jesus rose from the dead because of His own merit etc.
PacifistAg
AG
Oh, never heard of it. You made it seem like it were something widespread in the church today. My bad.
ramblin_ag02
AG
codker92 said:

It doesn't matter what you think post modernism is.

You making up your own definition of postmodern and expecting everyone else to just accept it is the most post-modern thing on the board right now
Zobel
AG
It's such a persistent subtext of his posts I'm starting to think it's brilliant irony. I hope it is.
codker92
AG
It isn't in the church because people are leaving the church in droves.

I guess 60000 people losing faith isn't a big deal for you.
codker92
AG
If you are so knowledgeable about in Christian things then what is your definition of post modernism?
codker92
AG
As a true post modern you would only be impressed with appearances.
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

As a true post modern you would only be impressed with appearances.

Oh goodness. Did you just call the Orthodox poster "post-modern"?
PacifistAg
AG
codker92 said:

It isn't in the church because people are leaving the church in droves.

I guess 60000 people losing faith isn't a big deal for you.

Right. I clearly don't care about people losing faith because I don't believe a cult I've never heard of is a "widespread".

There are far greater threats to the church, although QAnon can show us how quickly a fringe cult can infect the church, but I've yet to hear of this group discussed in a study from 21 years ago.
codker92
AG
I think it is funny how you base your entire world view on labels and not on actual principles or facts and data. As long as someone is X they are ok. But it does not matter what they actually think or do.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.