Do you believe the Second Coming will happen in your lifetime?

8,013 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bmks270
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you'd said you thought the world was getting worse in the past 50 years I wouldn't have said anything.

But you said four thousands of years all of these behaviors would have never been tolerated. I said that pre-Christian western history is rampant with all of the things you said were not tolerated.

Then you said they were on the periphery, which is false because they were normative.

Then you amended to that they weren't "government sanctioned" (still not sure what that means) and doubled down pederasty was never government sanctioned anywhere in history. But this is also demonstrably untrue.

This is a nice rant, I guess, but I don't see why it is directed at me.

But, since you asked - do I expect prosecution of Christians? In the US? I don't know, I'd need a time frame. Much of Christian morality is "baked in" to our legal and societal framework. The #metoo movement is more or less a direct historical descendent from Christian morality (which is the source of the idea of sexual consent regardless of nationality, sex, age, etc). Do I expect the ungodly to persecute Christians? Yes. This is fairly common in the history of the Church.

The last few centuries have been exceptionally peaceful in that regard - but not globally. Millions of Christians were killed by the Soviets. Over a hundred thousand clergy were murdered between 1936 and 1938 alone. Is it worse today here than Russia in 1936?

Christians were not allowed to print Christian materials in the Ottoman Empire. If you went into a church in the middle east around 1900 and looked, they would have been reading from manuscript gospels and lectionaries. Hand written. Is it worse today here than Turkey or Greece in 1900?

I don't think Christians are called to speak biblical truths because the world is getting worse. And I don't think that if the world is getting better that means we stop talking about the gospel. By nearly any measure the world is better now than it was in the first century. I don't really understand why this impinges on us speaking the truths of the gospel, which really transcend material well-being.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Sorry, I didn't realize you were unaware of these passages.

Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence.
Gen 6:11

Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy.
Ezekiel 16:49

Now, please answer my question. What rights should I have stripped from me because I'm a trans woman? You said equal rights are evil. Just answer the question.

I'm not on the work, I just wanted you to put them in context. You left out several things. I pointed it out above.
Acts 2:38
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

If you'd said you thought the world was getting worse in the past 50 years I wouldn't have said anything.

But you said four thousands of years all of these behaviors would have never been tolerated. I said that pre-Christian western history is rampant with all of the things you said were not tolerated.

Then you said they were on the periphery, which is false because they were normative.

Then you amended to that they weren't "government sanctioned" (still not sure what that means) and doubled down pederasty was never government sanctioned anywhere in history. But this is also demonstrably untrue.

This is a nice rant, I guess, but I don't see why it is directed at me.

But, since you asked - do I expect prosecution of Christians? In the US? I don't know, I'd need a time frame. Much of Christian morality is "baked in" to our legal and societal framework. The #metoo movement is more or less a direct historical descendent from Christian morality (which is the source of the idea of sexual consent regardless of nationality, sex, age, etc). Do I expect the ungodly to persecute Christians? Yes. This is fairly common in the history of the Church.

The last few centuries have been exceptionally peaceful in that regard - but not globally. Millions of Christians were killed by the Soviets. Over a hundred thousand clergy were murdered between 1936 and 1938 alone. Is it worse today here than Russia in 1936?

Christians were not allowed to print Christian materials in the Ottoman Empire. If you went into a church in the middle east around 1900 and looked, they would have been reading from manuscript gospels and lectionaries. Hand written. Is it worse today here than Turkey or Greece in 1900?

I don't think Christians are called to speak biblical truths because the world is getting worse. And I don't think that if the world is getting better that means we stop talking about the gospel. By nearly any measure the world is better now than it was in the first century. I don't really understand why this impinges on us speaking the truths of the gospel, which really transcend material well-being.

My point is that the church is not doing its job. If we were to speak biblical truths to the world, it wouldn't be waxing worse. Revival has always brought about a Renaissance. But of course, the overriding reason for biblical projection, is the salvation of souls. It just so happens that that creates a better society.

What's happening in China, and what happened in Russia and other parts of the world can very easily happen here. And in my opinion, it's going to.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Btw, if you're going to cut and paste, at least include the link to where you're cutting and pasting from.

You activate as if I weren't quoting. I put quotation marks in there. I would've said the exact same thing, except this is much faster. If I posted a link, you wouldn't read it. No one does. But I didn't claim it as my own. Although I wouldn't have changed a word.
PacifistAg
AG
The proper thing to do is cite the source, especially after I simply reference verses and you wanted the sources.

Btw, can you please answer my question that you seem to be dodging?
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Now, please answer my question. What rights should I have stripped from me because I'm a trans woman? You said equal rights are evil. Just answer the question.

The right to marry, for one. The right to adopt children. The right to serve in the military. And I never said equal rights were evil. I said homosexuality, and sexual sin is evil.
Star Wars Memes Only
Pierow said:

The right to marry, for one. The right to adopt children. The right to serve in the military. And I never said equal rights were evil. I said homosexuality, and sexual sin is evil.

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Are you saying equal rights for LGBTQIA people is a problem? And
what do you mean by "government sanction"?

Yes, I am. It's a horrible thing. It's a terrible thing. It is an evil thing.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

So should my marriage be dissolved? And you'd rather children remain wards of the state, bouncing from foster home to foster home, often subject to abuse, instead of a loving gay couple giving them a stable home? Doesn't really seem pro-life to me. And do you realize that trans people are 2-5 times more likely to serve than cis people? And I'm a combat infantry sergeant? Was I not capable of doing my job, as evil as it was to start with, simply because I struggled with gender dysphoria? Or that I'm not fit now, even for a desk job, even though I'm a productive member of senior management in my company?
PacifistAg
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

People tend to lie when called on their absurdities.
Pierow
AG
dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Equal rights based upon sexual perversity is evil. Not equal rights in and of itself.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Who lied? You completely misinterpreted what I said. No one deserves equal rights based upon their sexual proclivities. It's evil.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Who lied? You completely misinterpreted what I said. No one deserves equal rights based upon their sexual proclivities. It's evil.

You did, and now you're hiding behind "it was misinterpreted". I'm talking about equal rights/treatment under the law. We're not talking about extra rights, but of equal rights. What you want is codified discrimination.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Equal rights based upon sexual perversity is evil. Not equal rights in and of itself.

You didn't say that equal rights based on sexual orientation are evil. You said equal rights for LGBTQIA people are evil. That's a huge difference. You're moving the goalposts and trying to gaslight your way out of it.
PacifistAg
AG
But, I'm a woman married to a woman, and we have 2 kids. Should the state take our kids? Should our marriage be dissolved? What's the extent of government-sanctioned bigotry?
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

You did, and now you're hiding behind "it was misinterpreted". I'm talking about equal rights/treatment under the law. We're not talking about extra rights, but of equal rights. What you want is codified discrimination.

I don't care what you call it. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter to me. No one deserves special rights, equal or otherwise based upon sexual perversion.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

I don't care what you call it. Your opinion on the subject doesn't matter to me. No one deserves special rights, equal or otherwise based upon sexual perversion.

Equal rights aren't special rights.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

But, I'm a woman married to a woman, and we have 2 kids. Should the state take our kids? Should our marriage be dissolved? What's the extent of government-sanctioned bigotry?

Why do you care what I think? You're going to do it anyway. No matter what my beliefs are. My beliefs are based upon one benchmark. Anything else is human opinion. Talk about being able to change the "goalposts".
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

So you are saying that you want equal rights for a perverted lifestyle? Hmmm, sounds like special rights to me.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Why do you care what I think? You're going to do it anyway. No matter what my beliefs are. My beliefs are based upon one benchmark. Anything else is human opinion. Talk about being able to change the "goalposts".

I care because you want to use government coercion to treat me as lesser simply because of who I am. You want to deny children a home because of who is looking to adopt. I don't think you understand what it means to move the goalposts, btw.

You can disagree with your neighbor all you want. You shouldn't be free to wield a violent state to deny them equal treatment simply because you have moral objections to who they are and when they are not violating the rights of others.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

So you are saying that you want equal rights for a perverted lifestyle? Hmmm, sounds like special rights to me.

I want a secular state to protect the equal rights of people regardless of what you think of their lifestyle that does not violate the rights of others. That's not special rights.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

I want a secular state to protect the equal rights of people regardless of what you think of their lifestyle that does not violate the rights of others. That's not special rights.

I know where you stand on this issue. We disagree. I absolutely believe perverted lifestyles should not be allowed when deciding where to place a child. I believe it to be 100% evil. Of course you're going to disagree with that, because that is your lifestyle of choice, apparently. It's completely antithetical to my Christian belief. It's antithetical to biblical principles, and scripture. You have a humanistic point of view. I do not.
PacifistAg
AG
PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

dargscisyhp said:

Pierow said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

In actuality, I don't want the state to exist, but that's another thread. While it does, it shouldn't be a tool to violate the rights of others. I think the state shouldn't sanction any marriage, and any legal relationship (straight or gay or polyamorous) should be treated like a legal contract, and "marriage" certs issued by any religious body that wishes to issue them to whomever they wish to issue them.
PacifistAg
AG
My view isn't humanistic. Don't be silly. And I didn't choose to be transgender. You show your ignorance of what it means to be transgender. Oh, and I'm a Christian and love my Lord deeply.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

My view isn't humanistic. Don't be silly. And I didn't choose to be transgender. You show your ignorance of what it means to be transgender.

Sorry, but if you have a Y chromosome, I consider you to be a man. Sexual sin is a byproduct of the fall, and the cursing of the world. What I'm telling you is in scripture in many places. It's not new, and it was not handed down by man. I know the majority in this day and age consider that to be out of touch. I also think what you are doing is extraordinarily sinful, and that unless you repent of your sins, you will be thrown into hell. Not a make believe hell, but a place Jesus describes as where the fire is never quenched, and the worm never dies. Weeping and gnashing of teeth hell. I sincerely believe it to be true. It's not where I would want anybody to go, especially eternally.

Look, we are ALL extraordinarily sinful humans. The only difference between a Christian, and a worldly person, is that they (Christians) don't go out of their way to pervert God's word, and live lifestyles that are antithetical to his teachings. If they did, they could/should not consider themselves a Christian at all. We don't dive in, and poke God in the eye purposefully. The Holy Spirit would convict us in a New York minute. Again, I am just as much of a sinner as anyone on the planet. I would put my sins up against anyone's. But I hate them. I loathe, and am ashamed of my sinful nature. Praise God! Jesus paid for my sins, and sanctifies me daily. I apologize if my opinions upset you. But if you want to know how I feel, I'm not going to lie about it.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

My point is that the church is not doing its job. If we were to speak biblical truths to the world, it wouldn't be waxing worse. Revival has always brought about a Renaissance. But of course, the overriding reason for biblical projection, is the salvation of souls. It just so happens that that creates a better society.

What's happening in China, and what happened in Russia and other parts of the world can very easily happen here. And in my opinion, it's going to.
I don't know that I really agree. The world is going to do what it will - by definition when we look at "the world" vs "the Church" we will see people who will reject the Gospel, and people who will accept it. The scriptures make no comment to the numbers game. In fact, I'd say that the scriptures may suggest the opposite - the Church will be the little flock, a pecular people from the world.

It may well happen here. But if it does, it won't be because the people of God failed to "do its job." I think you could make the case that the absence of persecution demonstrates the that Church isn't "doing its job."

PacifistAg
AG
Well, we've already caught you in one lie. But according to your standard, I'm a "man", so no need to worry about trans people like me. I don't pervert His teachings, and strive to live by them daily.

Your problem, though, isn't the fact that we interpret ancient texts differently. It's that you want to use a violent secular state to deny equal rights/treatment to people you find icky. That's not Christian. Don't hide behind the state's skirt while having them do violence and violate people on your behalf. At least have enough integrity to own it.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Well, we've already caught you in one lie. But according to your standard, I'm a "man", so no need to worry about trans people like me. I don't pervert His teachings, and strive to live by them daily.

Your problem, though, isn't the fact that we interpret ancient texts differently. It's that you want to use a violent secular state to deny equal rights/treatment to people you find icky. That's not Christian. Don't hide behind the state's skirt while having them do violence and violate people on your behalf. At least have enough integrity to own it.

Misinterpret it to your own peril. And not wanting you to be able to raise children, isn't violence. It's protecting the child. If you are living in that lifestyle, willfully, and unapologetically, you are not a born-again Christian. Again, if you believe in the Bible, read it very carefully. Christ talks about hell far more than he talks about heaven. If the Holy Spirit is not convicting you of your sinfulness, you're not a Christian. A Christian must be convicted of their sin.

And again, I did not lie. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I lied about it.
PacifistAg
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

I don't know that I really agree. The world is going to do what it will - by definition when we look at "the world" vs "the Church" we will see people who will reject the Gospel, and people who will accept it. The scriptures make no comment to the numbers game. In fact, I'd say that the scriptures may suggest the opposite - the Church will be the little flock, a pecular people from the world.

It may well happen here. But if it does, it won't be because the people of God failed to "do its job." I think you could make the case that the absence of persecution demonstrates the that Church isn't "doing its job."

This! I think prosperity mixed with governmental protection has been more problematic to the church than most people realize. And I think we know deep down that the comfort is a problem, since many seem adamant at screaming "persecution" at the most minor slight.
PacifistAg
AG
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

Misinterpret it to your own peril. And not wanting you to be able to raise children, isn't violence. It's protecting the child. If you are living in that lifestyle, willfully, and unapologetically, you are not a born-again Christian. Again, if you believe in the Bible, read it very carefully. Christ talks about hell far more than he talks about heaven. If the Holy Spirit is not convicting you of your sinfulness, you're not a Christian. A Christian must be convicted of their sin.

And again, I did not lie. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I lied about it.

The Spirit does convict me of my sin. Don't worry about that. You act as if my decision to transition didn't involve years of intensive prayer and study.

And yes you absolutely did lie. That you are too prideful to admit it even though it's clear as day doesn't mean you didn't.
Pierow
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

So we agree on this. As much as I hate to see it coming, the church will grow under persecution. Which means the true church will be doing its job properly. True persecution, it's just around the corner. That's what I'm talking about when I say "the church has not been doing its job".

"if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

How can we accomplish this if the church isn't preaching the gospel to all creation?
Buzzy
Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

You're openly espousing your personal bigotry, and hiding behind religion to sugarcoat it. If you want to be a bigot, be a bigot, but don't use religion to justify your personal hatred.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

The Spirit does convict me of my sin. Don't worry about that. You act as if my decision to transition didn't involve years of intensive prayer and study.

And yes you absolutely did lie. That you are too prideful to admit it even though it's clear as day doesn't mean you didn't.

If the spirit convicted you of your sin, you would no longer be in your sinful lifestyle. I gave up virtually everything that I loved in my sinful lifestyle. I couldn't enjoy it at all anymore, because the Holy Spirit would not let me enjoy any of it. I don't know who you were praying too, but it was not the God of the Bible if you went ahead and did what you did. Sexual sinfulness, according to Paul, is doubly worse than any other sin you can commit. You're sinning against your body and your spirit. He gives no caveats.

How do you get past these verses?

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 ESV

"But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.' 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' So they are no longer two but one flesh."
Mark 10:6-8 ESV

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination."
Leviticus 18:22 ESV

"Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them."
Romans 1:24-32 ESV

Again, I ask you one more time, how did I lie? Specifically, what did I lie about?
Pierow
AG
Buzzy said:

Pierow said:

PacifistAg said:

You're openly espousing your personal bigotry, and hiding behind religion to sugarcoat it. If you want to be a bigot, be a bigot, but don't use religion to justify your personal hatred.

If God says it, I believe it. I don't care if you call it bigotry or not, God calls it evil. I will call it evil.
PacifistAg
AG
But you say I'm a guy, so according to you, I'm not violating those verses. Btw, the scriptures don't address being transgender. The closest it comes would be regarding eunuchs.

And your lie has already been pointed out.
Pierow
AG
PacifistAg said:

But you say I'm a guy, so according to you, I'm not violating those verses. Btw, the scriptures don't address being transgender. The closest it comes would be regarding eunuchs.

And your lie has already been pointed out.

No, it hasn't. You keep alluding to something, but never specifically point it out.

And you are seriously parsing scripture past his breaking point.

"Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life."
Galatians 6:7-8 ESV

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.