St Mary's (College Station) head priest to resign?

22,235 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chimpanzee
Post removed:
by user
PabloSerna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saint Pablo said:

As a lifelong Catholic, I really struggle with the concept of a celibate priesthood. I don't understand how having a wife and kids would make a priest any less holy or any less capable of leading a parish towards Christ. I especially struggle with the idea that this regulation (not dogma) came about around the twelfth century so that priests' land couldn't be inherited by their descendants, rather it would be returned to the church. Christ's apostles were married.

Many protestant preachers that I have known or listened to in person or online seem to be much stronger in conveying Christ's message than some of the priests that I have encountered, despite having wives and kids. I think that one of the primary reasons that the 80% of Catholics no longer practice the faith 10 years after receiving the sacrament of Confirmation is because Christ's message isn't firmly delivered in mass and I think this is primarily because there is a shortage of strong, bold priests leading our churches. I think more men would feel inclined to become priests if they were able to live out that vocation while having a family of their own.

Would this prevent something like what Fr. Brian did? I think so, but maybe not. Maybe he would have just cheated on his wife and broken his vows.

I am happy for him if he found his true calling, namely to holy matrimony. We need Holy Families as much as we need Holy Men and Women.

The comments on here, like the one above, remind me of why we are to put our faith in Christ and his Church, not in any one person. Growing up, we tended to look to a Priest or Nun as a model of holiness - only to be shocked when they faltered. I attended Catholic School through 6th grade and we had a Nun that could toss an eraser across the room like Nolan Ryan. You had to have your head on a swivel!

Saint Pablo - mi tocayo! - I don't know if its 80% or 72%, but its up there right? If you are a Catholic and you are expecting to be "led" by a Priest in Mass to better understand the word of God - then you have been poorly catechized. As all Catholics should know - Mass is for giving thanks to God, putting our thoughts, hopes, dreams, trials - all of it - on the altar - is it not? The Priest is the minister standing in for the Bishop to offer up prayers (Latin Rite for me) to our Lord. It is a very ritualistic experience, one that places an emphasis on the Liturgy and not the Homily as much.

I'm probably derailing this thread - but this is a case in point - where I think many good Catholics rely on other people for their holiness. I think JC called it - being lukewarm? Jump all in - don't leave it to Mother Theresa or JP2 - I'm sure your parish has a Bible Study, RCIA, or a local Lay Dominican Chapter (hint) to go to the well more than just 15 minutes on Sunday (average Homily).

It has less to do with married Priest than each of us!

+pablo

jrico2727
AG
Breaking a vow of celibacy is one sin and sodomy is another.
Post removed:
by user
PabloSerna
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Not trying to excuse anyone for breaking a vow, but I find the other adult in these type situations pretty disgusting. Who knowingly consents to break a priest's vow of chastity, and one that could drastically affect his life and career? How could you do that to someone you supposedly care about? Even if his self-control was weak, it's still pretty loathesome to take him up on it.

I would hope that if they fell in love, and by definition God is Love - then "disgusting" is the farthest word from the truth.

I think the word we are searching for is "scandalous." Precisely because the Priest has taken a vow of celibacy and now finds himself in love with a woman! We should not assume any more (sexual) than that. I can imagine the difficulty he must have faced during this time. A man of character will remain celibate while making the necessary arrangements for his next chapter in life - a Deacon! In another parish of course.

+pablo
jrico2727
AG
That's a fair point but one decision can lead to several actions, each with their own consequences.
Saint Pablo
PabloSerna said:

Saint Pablo said:

As a lifelong Catholic, I really struggle with the concept of a celibate priesthood. I don't understand how having a wife and kids would make a priest any less holy or any less capable of leading a parish towards Christ. I especially struggle with the idea that this regulation (not dogma) came about around the twelfth century so that priests' land couldn't be inherited by their descendants, rather it would be returned to the church. Christ's apostles were married.

Many protestant preachers that I have known or listened to in person or online seem to be much stronger in conveying Christ's message than some of the priests that I have encountered, despite having wives and kids. I think that one of the primary reasons that the 80% of Catholics no longer practice the faith 10 years after receiving the sacrament of Confirmation is because Christ's message isn't firmly delivered in mass and I think this is primarily because there is a shortage of strong, bold priests leading our churches. I think more men would feel inclined to become priests if they were able to live out that vocation while having a family of their own.

Would this prevent something like what Fr. Brian did? I think so, but maybe not. Maybe he would have just cheated on his wife and broken his vows.

I am happy for him if he found his true calling, namely to holy matrimony. We need Holy Families as much as we need Holy Men and Women.

The comments on here, like the one above, remind me of why we are to put our faith in Christ and his Church, not in any one person. Growing up, we tended to look to a Priest or Nun as a model of holiness - only to be shocked when they faltered. I attended Catholic School through 6th grade and we had a Nun that could toss an eraser across the room like Nolan Ryan. You had to have your head on a swivel!

Saint Pablo - mi tocayo! - I don't know if its 80% or 72%, but its up there right? If you are a Catholic and you are expecting to be "led" by a Priest in Mass to better understand the word of God - then you have been poorly catechized. As all Catholics should know - Mass is for giving thanks to God, putting our thoughts, hopes, dreams, trials - all of it - on the altar - is it not? The Priest is the minister standing in for the Bishop to offer up prayers (Latin Rite for me) to our Lord. It is a very ritualistic experience, one that places an emphasis on the Liturgy and not the Homily as much.

I'm probably derailing this thread - but this is a case in point - where I think many good Catholics rely on other people for their holiness. I think JC called it - being lukewarm? Jump all in - don't leave it to Mother Theresa or JP2 - I'm sure your parish has a Bible Study, RCIA, or a local Lay Dominican Chapter (hint) to go to the well more than just 15 minutes on Sunday (average Homily).

It has less to do with married Priest than each of us!

+pablo

I understand what you are saying and I fundamentally believe in Christ, his teachings, and his presence in the Eucharist. I return to mass week in and week out because I believe in what I receive. I am involved in my home parish's CRHP program and am working through RCIA with my wife who is in the process of converting. I am confident in my faith and what I believe. In the last few years of my life, I have come to understand what a personal relationship with Christ looks like and my interaction with Him is my primary focus when I go to mass, good homily or not.

For many Catholics; however, the Mass is the only time in a week that they focus on God or the only interaction that they have with Christ through the Church. It is sad, but it's true. As Catholics, why wouldn't we want this experience to be as vibrant as possible? Why wouldn't we want dynamic homilies that inspire and challenge us? Why wouldn't we want strong, bold, spiritual warriors leading us? I think that more people who are not strong in their faith would feel called to partake in Bible Studies, other church activities, or even to pray on their own if they felt compelled to do so by a stronger experience in mass if that is the focal point of their faith lives. Only 31% of all Catholics believe in transubstantiation! Nearly 70% of Catholics do not believe that Christ is present in the Eucharist!!! 80% of Catholics stop practicing their faith 10 years after receiving the sacrament of Confirmation. This is a spiritual epidemic that the Church is experiencing. I don't think that telling people to pick up a Catechism is the solution. I think that the Church has a lot of room to grow and tend to Her flock.

As for your "relying on other people for their holiness," comment; I don't think that any of us would be where we are today in regards to our walk with Christ without the help or inspiration of others. I don't think that there are many people who wake up one day and hear Christ's voice literally. Many people are molded by parents, friends, spouses, etc. If priests are the most visible form of leadership of the Church for most Catholics (I say they're the most visible since we interact with priests on a weekly basis rather than the Pope or a Bishop), I would say that they have the greatest possibility to impact lay people. If there is a CEO Catholic or a Catholic who was just dragged to mass by their parents as a kid without a strong understanding of what is going on, what is going to inspire them to dive deeper into their faith?

I feel that I am in a very good place in my personal journey with Christ. However, I see the Church failing so many and I feel any time I raise any kind of concern people's general response is something along the lines of "being poorly catechized" or formed as you said or something to the affect of "people just need to work harder". I don't think saying that the Church as an institution and the Church as its body of Christ followers can do better needs to be mutually exclusive. However, since the Church as an institution should be leading Her people, I think that naturally if leadership were to do better, its people would fall in line. As I said, 80% of Catholics no longer practice their faith 10 years after their Confirmation. This statistic should be horrifying. The Church should be doing everything it can to right the ship. It doesn't feel like anything is moving in that direction. It feels as if the Church has largely become complacent.

Do I think that on its face a married Priesthood would resolve this issue on its own? No. Absolutely not. But I do think that it would allow for far more dynamic leadership within the Church.
Ag4coal
Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I would argue that married clergy with children are better examples to follow than those that remain celibate. Life experience aids in guidance. Being able to relate to the layperson.
I agree.

Talk to any experienced priest about any of your lay problems, and you will be shocked by just how experienced they may be. Not directly, of course, but from the hundreds and thousands of other like you they've counseled.

The point of a celibate priesthood is to better serve their flock. Can you imagine all the baptisms, the confirmations, the last rights, the funerals, the church functions, etc, etc, etc. that these guys go through? Now do that with a family. There is a reason why "the pastor's kid" is such a common meme. I can't imagine trying to be a father, working 80+ hours a week and having to be the emotional and spiritual guide to thousands. Tradition says even the married apostles chose a life of celibacy within their marriages.

The second advantage of a celibate life is that they SHOULD be free to much more bold in their proclamations and evangelizations. There is no one depending on them to keep their job, stay out of the fire of cancel culture, or even avoid martyrdom. The greatest Saints we know we're celibate because there was no earthly connections binding them to the worldly life. That's why they would cross continents and face torture and murder for their faith. Saint Francis can walk up to a Muslim army and try to evangelize a sultan, in part, because he wouldn't be leaving behind a widow and orphans.

Celibacy did not turn off strong men from the faith. There is a mountain of evidence and testimonials showing that men of certain inclinations took on leadership in the seminaries and made it very, very difficult for strong men on fire for God to make it to our pulpits. The priesthood was neutered from the inside, not by celibacy. And it's tragic.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

I would hope that if they fell in love, and by definition God is Love - then "disgusting" is the farthest word from the truth.

I think the word we are searching for is "scandalous." Precisely because the Priest has taken a vow of celibacy and now finds himself in love with a woman! We should not assume any more (sexual) than that. I can imagine the difficulty he must have faced during this time. A man of character will remain celibate while making the necessary arrangements for his next chapter in life - a Deacon! In another parish of course.
Except that this situation is clearly a past infraction and he was back as a priest. So this wasn't someone falling in love, leaving the clergy, getting married and starting a family. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that for either the priest or his associate
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Saint Pablo
Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I would argue that married clergy with children are better examples to follow than those that remain celibate. Life experience aids in guidance. Being able to relate to the layperson.
I agree.

Talk to any experienced priest about any of your lay problems, and you will be shocked by just how experienced they may be. Not directly, of course, but from the hundreds and thousands of other like you they've counseled.

I have talked to a few priests that have done an incredible job of understanding, helping, and relating to my problems as a lay man. A priest that was my spiritual director in middle school and high school seemed to understand everything that I was going through. However, I have encountered far more priests that struggle to help or understand the problems of a lay man. Confessions where a priest has nothing to offer, bu

The point of a celibate priesthood is to better serve their flock. Can you imagine all the baptisms, the confirmations, the last rights, the funerals, the church functions, etc, etc, etc. that these guys go through? Now do that with a family. There is a reason why "the pastor's kid" is such a common meme. I can't imagine trying to be a father, working 80+ hours a week and having to be the emotional and spiritual guide to thousands.

Is that the point? My father is close friends with the pastor of one of the largest protestant mega churches in the world....a church that is bigger than any Catholic Church in the country. He has three kids, an incredibly happy marriage, and is one of the best men that I have ever met. I don't see the responsibility of either inhibiting him from fulfilling the responsibilities of the other. The argument could be easily be made that if the celibate priesthood was removed, we would have more priests, and thus those responsibilities could be more evenly distributed, lessening the load on each priest.

Tradition says even the married apostles chose a life of celibacy within their marriages.

Everything that I have read about this seems to be pure speculation and there is little to no evidence that proves that the apostles didn't have sex. Eastern Catholic priests can be married. Married Anglican priests that convert are allowed to be Catholic priests.

The second advantage of a celibate life is that they SHOULD be free to much more bold in their proclamations and evangelizations. There is no one depending on them to keep their job, stay out of the fire of cancel culture, or even avoid martyrdom. The greatest Saints we know we're celibate because there was no earthly connections binding them to the worldly life. That's why they would cross continents and face torture and murder for their faith. Saint Francis can walk up to a Muslim army and try to evangelize a sultan, in part, because he wouldn't be leaving behind a widow and orphans.

This feels like complete nonsense to me. Many lay men have died for their faith over the years. Many protestants have died for their faith. People die for their country. People die for things as trivial as gangs. And you think that because a man is married, he would be less willing to lay down his life than someone who isn't? That kind of boldness is in a man or it isn't. It isn't inhibited because you are married or not or because you have sex or don't have sex.

Celibacy did not turn off strong men from the faith. There is a mountain of evidence and testimonials showing that men of certain inclinations took on leadership in the seminaries and made it very, very difficult for strong men on fire for God to make it to our pulpits. The priesthood was neutered from the inside, not by celibacy. And it's tragic.

While the latter part of your assertion here is likely true, I would certainly believe that. There is absolutely no way that is the case. We would have exponentially more priests if celibacy weren't a requirement.
Ag4coal
Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

I have talked to a few priests that have done an incredible job of understanding, helping, and relating to my problems as a lay man. A priest that was my spiritual director in middle school and high school seemed to understand everything that I was going through. However, I have encountered far more priests that struggle to help or understand the problems of a lay man. Confessions where a priest has nothing to offer, bu

The point of a celibate priesthood is to better serve their flock. Can you imagine all the baptisms, the confirmations, the last rights, the funerals, the church functions, etc, etc, etc. that these guys go through? Now do that with a family. There is a reason why "the pastor's kid" is such a common meme. I can't imagine trying to be a father, working 80+ hours a week and having to be the emotional and spiritual guide to thousands.

Is that the point? My father is close friends with the pastor of one of the largest protestant mega churches in the world....a church that is bigger than any Catholic Church in the country. He has three kids, an incredibly happy marriage, and is one of the best men that I have ever met. I don't see the responsibility of either inhibiting him from fulfilling the responsibilities of the other. The argument could be easily be made that if the celibate priesthood was removed, we would have more priests, and thus those responsibilities could be more evenly distributed, lessening the load on each priest.

Tradition says even the married apostles chose a life of celibacy within their marriages.

Everything that I have read about this seems to be pure speculation and there is little to no evidence that proves that the apostles didn't have sex. Eastern Catholic priests can be married. Married Anglican priests that convert are allowed to be Catholic priests.

This feels like complete nonsense to me. Many lay men have died for their faith over the years. Many protestants have died for their faith. People die for their country. People die for things as trivial as gangs. And you think that because a man is married, he would be less willing to lay down his life than someone who isn't? That kind of boldness is in a man or it isn't. It isn't inhibited because you are married or not or because you have sex or don't have sex.

While the latter part of your assertion here is likely true, I would certainly believe that. There is absolutely no way that is the case. We would have exponentially more priests if celibacy weren't a requirement.

On mobile, so sorry I can't make this an easier read:

1. The confessional is not a place for spiritual guidance. It is a place for the metaphysical cleansing of the soul. While it is great to get advice from your priest, it's not the point. A priest acting as a spiritual director is a radically different, and vital, piece of the spiritual life. Just like a priest that gives an excellent homily is a true blessing, even the weakest orator still offers the Eucharist to us.

2. I'm happy for the pastor you describe and know several myself. Same as with our priests, one good one does not describe the whole. Also (and I speak with experience here) the situation is not always as it seems. I pray and hope that pastor's children are in Heaven with all on this board. But the meme is still a meme for a very, very good reason. It is extremely difficult for the modern pastor to raise children because of their roles, if they are truly serving in their role correctly. Furthermore, all denominations that allow for married pastors are doing no better in their vocations that the Catholic Church is. It is a significant problem we need to address, but it's not unique to our celibate priests.

3. You can either believe Church tradition or not. You're not obligated to. But it's important to note that married Catholic priests that are in communion with Rome require their priests to be married prior to ordination and (at least in the case of Anglicans) are required to stay celibate, even in marriage.

4. Many lay men have died, for sure. But just look at the lives of the Saints. Look to the martyrs. Do the math. White martyrdom or red, you have to either be an unmarried, fatherless individual, or naive to think a married father of multiple children can take on the same level of sacrifice as a man with nothing to lose. St Paul flat out says it's better to stay single for this exact purpose. When you have a lot to lose on this earth, it's much, much harder to lay down your life. Even using your military or gang examples, the analogy still fails, as most men who have died in modern wars were either unmarried, or not yet a father. Same with gangs, which is obvious. Sure, there are many good men and women who have assumed the responsibility of martyrdom anyway. But if you want to talk sheer numbers, you'll lose. Call it nonsense if you want, but I'll side with Paul on this.

5. Again, there are articles on this. Vocations are struggling across denominations. It's not a "Catholic problem". Allowing priests to marry won't solve our problem, and it should not be used as a reasoning. Listen to Patrick Coffin. He's had several men who left the seminary speak on the sexual exploitation their rector attempted to subject them to. Listen to Father Altman's homily on silent clergymen. It's very, very, very difficult for a traditional Catholic man to make it through the seminary without hiding it. That is a revolting truth you can find with just. A little searching. The saddest part is that the men who were forced away from their calling are so devoutly Catholic that they reluctantly speak out about their experiences because they don't want to turn people away from the true faith. Say your rosaries for these men and the rectors/priests/bishops who forced them away
aggietony2010
AG
Quote:

3. You can either believe Church tradition or not. You're not obligated to. But it's important to note that married Catholic priests that are in communion with Rome require their priests to be married prior to ordination and (at least in the case of Anglicans) are required to stay celibate, even in marriage.

I think this last part is incorrect, as it would require the person to essentially forsake their marital vows. Anglican priests who convert and remain priests aren't required to take a vow of celibacy. (It requires a dispensation from the pope).

This is an awful situation for St. Mary's. Fr. Brian was a big part of my time at A&M and my faith development. It's a reminder that the Church is made up exclusively of sinners.
RAB91
A message from St. Mary's.
https://www.facebook.com/aggiecatholics/posts/10158051501969794

Saint Pablo
Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

1. The confessional is not a place for spiritual guidance. It is a place for the metaphysical cleansing of the soul. While it is great to get advice from your priest, it's not the point. A priest acting as a spiritual director is a radically different, and vital, piece of the spiritual life. Just like a priest that gives an excellent homily is a true blessing, even the weakest orator still offers the Eucharist to us.
I understand that the primary function of confession is the forgiveness of sins, but to say that it is not a place for spiritual guidance is asinine. Yes, there are opportunities for spiritual direction. Yes, one can talk to a priest. But a priest should be able to sense if someone is struggling with sin and give them guidance in the confessional. Like many of my points earlier, why would someone who gets nothing out of a priest's homily in mass, gets nothing out of their interaction with a priest in confession seek out a priest for spiritual direction???

2. I'm happy for the pastor you describe and know several myself. Same as with our priests, one good one does not describe the whole. Also (and I speak with experience here) the situation is not always as it seems. I pray and hope that pastor's children are in Heaven with all on this board. But the meme is still a meme for a very, very good reason. It is extremely difficult for the modern pastor to raise children because of their roles, if they are truly serving in their role correctly. Furthermore, all denominations that allow for married pastors are doing no better in their vocations that the Catholic Church is. It is a significant problem we need to address, but it's not unique to our celibate priests.
In research on religious statistics regarding the decline in faith, it is difficult to compare. The number of people that identify as "Christian" has declined dramatically lately. The number of people that identify as "Catholic" has declined as well. Catholicism has seen a greater net loss to other religions than any other Christian denomination. 69% of Catholics don't believe in Christ's presence in the Eucharist. Roughly 80% of Catholics are no longer practicing their faith 10 years after their confirmation. I am not sure if there are numbers in protestant faiths that can compare to those.

Where is the Church tradition that holds that Christ's apostles were celibate?? There is no Biblical basis for this and nothing in the CCC that pertains to the celibate priesthood ties back to the tradition of the apostles. This doesn't feel like a church tradition, it feels like pure speculation based on the fact that it isn't explicitly stated in the Bible that Christ's followers had sex. Even then, if that was a tradition that was held and passed down, why were priests married with kids up until the 12th century? That doesn't add up at all.

4. Many lay men have died, for sure. But just look at the lives of the Saints. Look to the martyrs. Do the math. White martyrdom or red, you have to either be an unmarried, fatherless individual, or naive to think a married father of multiple children can take on the same level of sacrifice as a man with nothing to lose. St Paul flat out says it's better to stay single for this exact purpose. When you have a lot to lose on this earth, it's much, much harder to lay down your life. Even using your military or gang examples, the analogy still fails, as most men who have died in modern wars were either unmarried, or not yet a father. Same with gangs, which is obvious. Sure, there are many good men and women who have assumed the responsibility of martyrdom anyway. But if you want to talk sheer numbers, you'll lose. Call it nonsense if you want, but I'll side with Paul on this.
This point is almost irrelevant as a whole. What percentage of priests in the United States today are going to ever be faced with martyrdom? The number has to be a fraction of one percent.

5. Again, there are articles on this. Vocations are struggling across denominations. It's not a "Catholic problem". Allowing priests to marry won't solve our problem, and it should not be used as a reasoning. Listen to Patrick Coffin. He's had several men who left the seminary speak on the sexual exploitation their rector attempted to subject them to. Listen to Father Altman's homily on silent clergymen. It's very, very, very difficult for a traditional Catholic man to make it through the seminary without hiding it. That is a revolting truth you can find with just. A little searching. The saddest part is that the men who were forced away from their calling are so devoutly Catholic that they reluctantly speak out about their experiences because they don't want to turn people away from the true faith. Say your rosaries for these men and the rectors/priests/bishops who forced them away
Again, the overarching point of all of my arguments is that a whopping eighty percent of Catholics are not practicing their faith 10 years after they receive the sacrament of Confirmation. SIXTY NINE percent of active Catholics do not believe in Christ's presence in the Eucharist. One of the most fundamental teachings of the church, if not the most!!! That is a clear failure in leadership. Something needs to change. Again, I don't know if allowing married priests to practice is the solution, but I believe that would give us more priests. More dynamic men would feel called, I believe.
chimpanzee
Saint Pablo said:

Again, the overarching point of all of my arguments is that a whopping eighty percent of Catholics are not practicing their faith 10 years after they receive the sacrament of Confirmation...

Relevantly, if pressed, the most often cited objection to the Church's teachings that people who leave it give is the Church's stance on sexual morality. They see it as unreasonable, cruel, mean spirited or at least irrelevant.

I know of several co-habitating couples that lied to their priests prior to marriage to get married in the Church and there are probably very few modern Catholics that have lived even some thinly stretched version of technical chastity prior to marriage. Even the people that remain in the pews on Sundays do not take the Church's teachings on sexuality seriously enough to practice it.

If the Church wants to throw up its hands and say, "well, that's just temptation and lust that the modern world has sold you and that you're succumbing to, don't say we didn't warn you", it doesn't mean their wrong, but it isn't persuading anyone.

I don't know what the persuasive argument is, but it doesn't credibly come from an authority with a prominent problem of meeting its own standards of sexual morality.
aggietony2010
AG
Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

I understand that the primary function of confession is the forgiveness of sins, but to say that it is not a place for spiritual guidance is asinine. Yes, there are opportunities for spiritual direction. Yes, one can talk to a priest. But a priest should be able to sense if someone is struggling with sin and give them guidance in the confessional. Like many of my points earlier, why would someone who gets nothing out of a priest's homily in mass, gets nothing out of their interaction with a priest in confession seek out a priest for spiritual direction???

In research on religious statistics regarding the decline in faith, it is difficult to compare. The number of people that identify as "Christian" has declined dramatically lately. The number of people that identify as "Catholic" has declined as well. Catholicism has seen a greater net loss to other religions than any other Christian denomination. 69% of Catholics don't believe in Christ's presence in the Eucharist. Roughly 80% of Catholics are no longer practicing their faith 10 years after their confirmation. I am not sure if there are numbers in protestant faiths that can compare to those.

Where is the Church tradition that holds that Christ's apostles were celibate?? There is no Biblical basis for this and nothing in the CCC that pertains to the celibate priesthood ties back to the tradition of the apostles. This doesn't feel like a church tradition, it feels like pure speculation based on the fact that it isn't explicitly stated in the Bible that Christ's followers had sex. Even then, if that was a tradition that was held and passed down, why were priests married with kids up until the 12th century? That doesn't add up at all.

This point is almost irrelevant as a whole. What percentage of priests in the United States today are going to ever be faced with martyrdom? The number has to be a fraction of one percent.

Again, the overarching point of all of my arguments is that a whopping eighty percent of Catholics are not practicing their faith 10 years after they receive the sacrament of Confirmation. SIXTY NINE percent of active Catholics do not believe in Christ's presence in the Eucharist. One of the most fundamental teachings of the church, if not the most!!! That is a clear failure in leadership. Something needs to change. Again, I don't know if allowing married priests to practice is the solution, but I believe that would give us more priests. More dynamic men would feel called, I believe.

Something did change in the 1960s, and belief in the real presence has plummeted. It has nothing to do with the dynamism of the preaching.
Saint Pablo
aggietony2010 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

Something did change in the 1960s, and belief in the real presence has plummeted. It has nothing to do with the dynamism of the preaching.
It is mind boggling to me that many faithful Catholics actually think this.
chimpanzee
Saint Pablo said:

aggietony2010 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

If you believe in the the divinely inspired and authoritative Magesterium, but don't believe that Vatican II was licit, valid, a good idea, or whatever, you are in a bit of a double bind.

Philosophically, it's why the Orthodox position is striking me as more cohesive personally lately, though that may just be because I don't know it well enough.

Saint Pablo
chimpanzee said:

Saint Pablo said:

aggietony2010 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

If you believe in the the divinely inspired and authoritative Magesterium, but don't believe that Vatican II was licit, valid, a good idea, or whatever, you are in a bit of a double bind.

Philosophically, it's why the Orthodox position is striking me as more cohesive personally lately, though that may just be because I don't know it well enough.

I was referring to the latter half of your statement. I should have bolded it in my initial reply.
chimpanzee
Saint Pablo said:

chimpanzee said:

Saint Pablo said:

aggietony2010 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

I was referring to the latter half of your statement. I should have bolded it in my initial reply.
One of my statements or one of Tony's? I'm not following (or meaning to be defensive) always trying to understand better.

I think I agree that both the belief in the real presence has plummeted and that it is indeed mind boggling.

Saint Pablo
chimpanzee said:

Saint Pablo said:

chimpanzee said:

Saint Pablo said:

aggietony2010 said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ag4coal said:

Saint Pablo said:

Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I agree.

One of my statements or one of Tony's? I'm not following (or meaning to be defensive) always trying to understand better.

I think I agree that both the belief in the real presence has plummeted and that it is indeed mind boggling.

Oof Tony's, I thought y'all were the same poster for some reason!
aggietony2010
AG
I believe all of the documents that came out of Vatican Ii are valid. At the same time, the implementation of the documents as far as liturgy is concerned basically ignored the documents. The documents don't call for liturgical abuses, they just left the door unlocked for them.

For example, the Sign of Peace. A reverent greeting of peace could express the unity of the members of the Church. There's nothing wrong with that. But it's rarely done reverently. Instead, the consecrated Body and Blood of Christ sit on the altar as every moves to shake hands with their favorite person. Sometimes the priest leaves the altar. The ushers roam shaking everyone's hands. Kids shoot peace signs across the aisle to their friends. You don't think this detracts from the magnitude of what we're supposed to believe just happened on the altar?

I think there are a lot of good things that came about with the Vatican II rite. It contains a much deeper dive into scripture than the traditional latin mass.

And Saint Pablo, I was hyperbolic in stating that the dynamism of preaching has nothing to do with the decline in belief in the real presence. I do think that the "Protestantization" of the liturgy has a lot more to do with it however.
Saint Pablo
aggietony2010 said:

I believe all of the documents that came out of Vatican Ii are valid. At the same time, the implementation of the documents as far as liturgy is concerned basically ignored the documents. The documents don't call for liturgical abuses, they just left the door unlocked for them.

For example, the Sign of Peace. A reverent greeting of peace could express the unity of the members of the Church. There's nothing wrong with that. But it's rarely done reverently. Instead, the consecrated Body and Blood of Christ sit on the altar as every moves to shake hands with their favorite person. Sometimes the priest leaves the altar. The ushers roam shaking everyone's hands. Kids shoot peace signs across the aisle to their friends. You don't think this detracts from the magnitude of what we're supposed to believe just happened on the altar?

I think there are a lot of good things that came about with the Vatican II rite. It contains a much deeper dive into scripture than the traditional latin mass.

And Saint Pablo, I was hyperbolic in stating that the dynamism of preaching has nothing to do with the decline in belief in the real presence. I do think that the "Protestantization" of the liturgy has a lot more to do with it however.
What do you mean by this?
jrico2727
AG
aggietony2010 said:

I agree with a lot of this.
The reason why we don't have belief in the real presence like we should is because we don't treat the sacrament as we should. Allowing Holy Communion in the hand has been a plague. We should bring back the Communion Rail for a start. The TLM is so much more reverent, I wish we could just do it in the vernacular, although I do see a benefit of the Church having a common language. I believe all Catholics should be able to do basic prayers in latin.
chimpanzee
jrico2727 said:

aggietony2010 said:

I agree with a lot of this.
The reason why we don't have belief in the real presence like we should is because we don't treat the sacrament as we should. Allowing Holy Communion in the hand has been a plague. We should bring back the Communion Rail for a start. The TLM is so much more reverent, I wish we could just do it in the vernacular, although I do see a benefit of the Church having a common language. I believe all Catholics should be able to do basic prayers in latin.
All fair and important concerns, but the Magesterium disagrees. I don't see how this would be rectified absent another council that doesn't seem anywhere near being called. If changing the liturgy isn't theological innovation, I don't know what is, it's the primary means by which the faithful practice their worship. If you change how that is done, you're changing everyone's perception of what is happening.

I always come back to the old problem of dealing with individual perceptions. There may be advanced theology behind this or that practice, dogma, doctrine, etc., but you still have to get it through one thick skull at a time. I've never attended a Latin or Byzantine mass, are they licit? That answer would change depending on who I asked and when. Would I have the correct or better perception of what was going on if one of these was all I knew? No one can say.

jrico2727
AG
The Latin Mass was never made illicit. You can go to diocesan Latin Masses or particular orders like the Fraternity of St. Peter which are in full communion with Rome. Even the SPPX is licit, but i find the people in their ranks to be sedevacantist.
chimpanzee
jrico2727 said:

The Latin Mass was never made illicit. You can go to diocesan Latin Masses or particular orders like the Fraternity of St. Peter which are in full communion with Rome. Even the SPPX is licit, but i find the people in their ranks to be sedevacantist.

Was it not strongly discouraged for decades for a priest to conduct the Latin Mass? I know they were hard to find, which seems like it wouldn't be an issue if all of its positive attributes were still appreciated by some substantial minority of the clergy and laity.

There's seems to me to be a lot of technicalities and formalities to a lot of things Rome puts out there (i.e licit or illicit), but if many eloquently and wholeheartedly defend the Tridentine mass now, surely some believed that its practice prior to 2007 was a good idea before Benedict XVI wrote his letter clarifying that it was ok for people to attend one. The need for that clarification tells me that if you asked different Bishops between VII and 2007 why it's not a more available option, the responses would have varied.

My "one thick skull at a time" problem again shows up when one lay person's primary vehicle to understanding the faith was one of these Bishops or the parishes that agreed with them that changed the experience of worship and the faith at the stroke of a pen.

One may try not to change how we engage with the faith, but inevitably we do and must rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us right, which sounds a lot like Methodism to pick which Church Father/Pope/Bishop/Priest from what era to listen to. I'm sympathetic to C.S. Lewis' view (as I took it, poorly paraphrasing) that it's best to dig in with prayer and trust in the Lord with what you have to work with in front of you, yet we all want to do it better, and we keep butting into long winded and well spoken folks that say the other guy is wrong.

jrico2727
AG
chimpanzee said:

jrico2727 said:

Was it not strongly discouraged for decades for a priest to conduct the Latin Mass? I know they were hard to find, which seems like it wouldn't be an issue if all of its positive attributes were still appreciated by some substantial minority of the clergy and laity.

There's seems to me to be a lot of technicalities and formalities to a lot of things Rome puts out there (i.e licit or illicit), but if many eloquently and wholeheartedly defend the Tridentine mass now, surely some believed that its practice prior to 2007 was a good idea before Benedict XVI wrote his letter clarifying that it was ok for people to attend one. The need for that clarification tells me that if you asked different Bishops between VII and 2007 why it's not a more available option, the responses would have varied.

My "one thick skull at a time" problem again shows up when one lay person's primary vehicle to understanding the faith was one of these Bishops or the parishes that agreed with them that changed the experience of worship and the faith at the stroke of a pen.

One may try not to change how we engage with the faith, but inevitably we do and must rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us right, which sounds a lot like Methodism to pick which Church Father/Pope/Bishop/Priest from what era to listen to. I'm sympathetic to C.S. Lewis' view (as I took it, poorly paraphrasing) that it's best to dig in with prayer and trust in the Lord with what you have to work with in front of you, yet we all want to do it better, and we keep butting into long winded and well spoken folks that say the other guy is wrong.

I say that the Church wanted to make the Novus Ordo Mass the norm. So they trained priest to perform it. All of the Popes and Bishops after the council endorsed it and they did not try to keep the TLM as a option. So I do agree it was suppressed. However some Bishops, Priest and members of the laity did not want to be part of the new mass. Older priest that were unable to learn the new mass were allow to keep saying the old mass. The SSPX was formed and was performing the TLM in a ordinary was until their founding Bishop ordained Bishops in defiance of JPII, and this lead to their semi-schismatic separation from the Church. Through popes Benedict XVI and Francis there as been a lifting of excommunication and a recognition of there ministry.

I think the most important thing is to offer a liturgy that is pleasing to God. After all the mass is the reflection of the heavenly worship that is seen in the book of the Apocalypse. Many Bishops and Priests have been taught that Vatican II is the best council and it will solve all of our problems. I do believe there was a effort to make the Mass more relatable to our current societies. There were problems with the Latin Mass at that time and it was not a perfect world before the council.

However while the council did allow the vernacular and change the liturgy, by taking out a lot of prayers and making it more pleasing to some of the protestants that helped write the liturgy. Cardinal Bugnini who stated he didn't want to have anything displeasing to protestants, was later to be found out to be a free mason and after the council was exiled to Iran. So some of the changes are dubious to many.

A lot of the changes we see were not codified in the council. The priest not saying the Mass Ad Orientem, communion in the hand, removing the communion rail, removing the statues of Our Lady and the saints, adding girl alter servers, playing flutes and guitars, removing chant and incense are examples of things taken out of the Mass and were not called for in the council. I think we need ask what places Christ in the center of the Mass and how to worship the Trinity in a way pleasing to God should be our motivation. The old liturgies the TLM and eastern liturgies seem to do this better than most novus ordo masses.
Potcake
AG
jrico2727 said:

It's hard to say. A week ago I would have said that Fr. Brian was probably on the fast track to be a Bishop since the last 2 pastors of St. Mary's have been elevated to be a bishop. There is a possibility for counseling I believe. Since it wasn't a student or a minor it may be likely he wouldn't be laicized, but is really up to the bishop. Considering that St. Mary's has been seen as a model of campus ministry for the whole country, I can imagine bringing scandal to it will not be taken lightly.

I would venture Fr. James Misko (Vicar General) will be the next from the diocese to become a Bishop. He was in the management group at Macaroni Grill in a previous life and he implemented several capital improvements at St. Louis before moving to his present position. He has really good homilies too.
747Ag
AG
Potcake said:

jrico2727 said:

It's hard to say. A week ago I would have said that Fr. Brian was probably on the fast track to be a Bishop since the last 2 pastors of St. Mary's have been elevated to be a bishop. There is a possibility for counseling I believe. Since it wasn't a student or a minor it may be likely he wouldn't be laicized, but is really up to the bishop. Considering that St. Mary's has been seen as a model of campus ministry for the whole country, I can imagine bringing scandal to it will not be taken lightly.

I would venture Fr. James Misko (Vicar General) will be the next from the diocese to become a Bishop. He was in the management group at Macaroni Grill in a previous life and he implemented several capital improvements at St. Louis before moving to his present position. He has really good homilies too.
I remember him at Saint Elizabeth's in Pflugerville.
PA24
AG
Maybe he was forced....

MidTnAg
AG
UTExan said:

OceanStateAg said:

The resignation has already occurred.
The Vicar General announced it at Masses beginning Saturday evening. In short, an inappropriate relationship with an adult, not at St Mary's, a few years ago, came to the bishop's attention recently and Fr McMaster tendered his resignation as pastor Friday or Saturday.
I hate to admit it, but I am almost relieved it was with an adult. Given the track record of clergy (both Catholic and Protestant) I suspected worse.
Catholics have decades of histories worldwide of sexual abuse of youth by their leaders. I was not aware of any other Christian religion having a similar abhorrent track record.
NonReg85
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Do sins stack like that? If something is already abhorrent to God and absolutely wrong, how can it be double wrong? I feel like sin is a binary, not a continuum.

How do Catholics assign how many Hail Marys etc. one has to say after confessional? Is there a point system?

You ask a good question in the 1st paragraph. Mocking confession in the 2nd wasn't your best play.
Ag4coal
MidTnAg said:

UTExan said:

OceanStateAg said:

The Vicar General announced it at Masses beginning Saturday evening. In short, an inappropriate relationship with an adult, not at St Mary's, a few years ago, came to the bishop's attention recently and Fr McMaster tendered his resignation as pastor Friday or Saturday.
I hate to admit it, but I am almost relieved it was with an adult. Given the track record of clergy (both Catholic and Protestant) I suspected worse.
Catholics have decades of histories worldwide of sexual abuse of youth by their leaders. I was not aware of any other Christian religion having a similar abhorrent track record.

A simple google search will solve that for you. There have been studies on this, and the rate of abuse is similar across denominations. The Catholic Church was the most egregious in covering it up though. No doubt about that at all.
PA24
AG
Ag4coal said:

MidTnAg said:

UTExan said:

OceanStateAg said:

A simple google search will solve that for you. There have been studies on this, and the rate of abuse is similar across denominations. The Catholic Church was the most egregious in covering it up though. No doubt about that at all.

....Don't believe you...Catholic priest abusing little boys 'surprise no one and are no longer "news" yet seldom hear of em abusing little girls.

Not suggesting ALL Catholic priest abuse little boys but it seems to have more than other denominations by far.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.