St Mary's (College Station) head priest to resign?

22,153 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chimpanzee
Saint Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/Southern-Baptist-sexual-abuse-spreads-as-leaders-13588038.php this was in the news last year. I saw NYT covered it too, but it didn't garner a ton of attention.
jrico2727
AG
Ubitag said:

Ag4coal said:

MidTnAg said:

UTExan said:

OceanStateAg said:

The resignation has already occurred.
The Vicar General announced it at Masses beginning Saturday evening. In short, an inappropriate relationship with an adult, not at St Mary's, a few years ago, came to the bishop's attention recently and Fr McMaster tendered his resignation as pastor Friday or Saturday.
I hate to admit it, but I am almost relieved it was with an adult. Given the track record of clergy (both Catholic and Protestant) I suspected worse.
Catholics have decades of histories worldwide of sexual abuse of youth by their leaders. I was not aware of any other Christian religion having a similar abhorrent track record.

A simple google search will solve that for you. There have been studies on this, and the rate of abuse is similar across denominations. The Catholic Church was the most egregious in covering it up though. No doubt about that at all.

....Don't believe you...Catholic priest abusing little boys 'surprise no one and are no longer "news" yet seldom hear of em abusing little girls.

Not suggesting ALL Catholic priest abuse little boys but it seems to have more than other denominations by far.

Here you go since you didn't feel like googling here are a couple links I found within a 3 secind search.
From Psychology Today

Newsweek

Catholic League

About 4% of clergy have been proven to be abusers, public school teachers are at 6% and males in general are about 3 to 5% pedophiles. Not making excuses for anyone just seems like it is about the same as the general population.
PabloSerna
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

I would hope that if they fell in love, and by definition God is Love - then "disgusting" is the farthest word from the truth.

I think the word we are searching for is "scandalous." Precisely because the Priest has taken a vow of celibacy and now finds himself in love with a woman! We should not assume any more (sexual) than that. I can imagine the difficulty he must have faced during this time. A man of character will remain celibate while making the necessary arrangements for his next chapter in life - a Deacon! In another parish of course.
Except that this situation is clearly a past infraction and he was back as a priest. So this wasn't someone falling in love, leaving the clergy, getting married and starting a family. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that for either the priest or his associate
I see. Well, from the short piece I read it sounds like he is still a Priest and will be part of the Diocese. Without knowing more, it would be a mistake to assume more. Still praying for him and all our Priest.

PabloSerna
AG
As I am reading through the comments and digging deeper for more understanding (which I find fascinating) - I came a across a comment from Pope Frances about the late Pope Paul VI -

"On 24 August 2017 Pope Francis emphasized that "the reform of the liturgy is irreversible" and called for continued efforts to implement the reforms, repeating what Pope Paul VI had said one year before he died: "The time has come, now, to definitely leave aside the disruptive ferments, equally pernicious in one sense or the other, and to implement fully, according to its right inspiring criteria, the reform approved by us in application of the decisions of the council."

So, in keeping in with this spirit, I do think further comments should be done so with this in mind. It was always clear to me that Vatican Council II was held at the height of Catholic faith not as a response to Protestant growth. Framing it that way (as a response to Protestant growth) could imply that V2 was looking at making the liturgy more Protestant when this was clearly not the case:

"Mother Church earnestly desires that all the faithful should be led to that fully conscious and active participation in liturgical celebrations which is demanded by the very nature of the liturgy. Such participation by the Christian people as a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a redeemed people (1 Peter 2:9; cf. 2:45), is their right and duty by reason of their baptism." - Second Vatican Council 1963, sec. 14

SUMMARY:

1. The Novus Ordo was legit and not some "smoke of Satan" meant to weaken the Church.
2. Vatican II was not intended to make the Church more Protestant-like**.

** I have a great amount of respect for our Protestant brothers and sisters, so this is in no way a shot towards their form of Praise and Worship, but more of a response to the idea that the Catholic Mass is somehow less Catholic after Vatican II.

Ag4coal
I'm not sure what this has to do with the thread topic. Maybe i missed the connection. I also do not doubt the validity of the second council.

That all said, while the writings of the council were not designed toprotestantize" the Church, we call it "the spirit of Vatican 2" for a reason. It is a known fact that Protestant ministers were a part of forming the new mass. It's not a secret at all
Goodbull_19
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Do sins stack like that? If something is already abhorrent to God and absolutely wrong, how can it be double wrong? I feel like sin is a binary, not a continuum.

How do Catholics assign how many Hail Marys etc. one has to say after confessional? Is there a point system?
Catholics reject the modern notion of 'all sins being equal'. Sins do exist to a degree. The Protestant notion of 'all sins being equal' mostly comes out of the reformers anthropology and ideas of justification rather than the traditional Christian understanding of sin.

Murder is worse than lying to your mother about not brushing your teeth.

Penance is arbitrary and there is no point system.
Sleepnumber
AG
Fr. Will Straten '00 announced as new pastor.
Old Army Ghost
Goodbull_19 said:

AstroAg17 said:

Do sins stack like that? If something is already abhorrent to God and absolutely wrong, how can it be double wrong? I feel like sin is a binary, not a continuum.

How do Catholics assign how many Hail Marys etc. one has to say after confessional? Is there a point system?
Catholics reject the modern notion of 'all sins being equal'. Sins do exist to a degree. The Protestant notion of 'all sins being equal' mostly comes out of the reformers anthropology and ideas of justification rather than the traditional Christian understanding of sin.

Let's see what the Westminster Catechism says since we are blaming reformers.

83. Q. Are all transgressions of the law equally heinous?
A. Some sins in themselves, and by reason of several aggravations, are more heinous in the sight of God than others.

84. Q. What doth every sin deserve?
A. Every sin deserveth God's wrath and curse, both in this life, and that which is to come.

So yes, murder is worse than lying, but both despicable in the eyes of God and worthy of wrath.
Goodbull_19
AG
Old Army Ghost said:

Goodbull_19 said:

AstroAg17 said:

A. Some sins in themselves, and by reason of several aggravations, are more heinous in the sight of God than others.

A. Every sin deserveth God's wrath and curse, both in this life, and that which is to come.

So yes, murder is worse than lying, but both despicable in the eyes of God and worthy of wrath.
Thank you. Point taken. May not be the reformers actual stated case on the matter. Most Protestants I know hold to the 'all sins are equal' doctrine. But I guess I shouldn't blame their bad theology on the reformers any more than I would blame many Catholics bad theology on actual Church teaching.
chimpanzee
Old Army Ghost said:

Goodbull_19 said:

AstroAg17 said:

Rome can't get too mad at Canterbury's theology these days...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.