St Mary's (College Station) head priest to resign?

22,133 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chimpanzee
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting texts from friends that the St Mary's head priest will resign tomorrow due to some kind of indiscretions in his past.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
Fr. Brian McMaster?
OceanStateAg
AG
The resignation has already occurred.
The Vicar General announced it at Masses beginning Saturday evening. In short, an inappropriate relationship with an adult, not at St Mary's, a few years ago, came to the bishop's attention recently and Fr McMaster tendered his resignation as pastor Friday or Saturday.
UTExan
OceanStateAg said:

The Vicar General announced it at Masses beginning Saturday evening. In short, an inappropriate relationship with an adult, not at St Mary's, a few years ago, came to the bishop's attention recently and Fr McMaster tendered his resignation as pastor Friday or Saturday.
I hate to admit it, but I am almost relieved it was with an adult. Given the track record of clergy (both Catholic and Protestant) I suspected worse.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
powerbelly
AG
I have a questions for the Catholics on here.

Does this end the priests career? Or is there some rehabilitation before returning to a parish?
chimpanzee
powerbelly said:

Does this end the priests career? Or is there some rehabilitation before returning to a parish?

Just a little research into the matter seems to indicate that some (all?) diocesan priests aren't under any kind of technical vow (what might constitute a technical vow, I don't know) to remain celibate, but rather, it's something of a condition of employment. The expectation is that you remain chaste and unmarried, which ipso facto results in celibacy if you are faithful to the church's teachings.

Not sure what the actual practice has been apart from many cover ups.
jrico2727
AG
It's hard to say. A week ago I would have said that Fr. Brian was probably on the fast track to be a Bishop since the last 2 pastors of St. Mary's have been elevated to be a bishop. There is a possibility for counseling I believe. Since it wasn't a student or a minor it may be likely he wouldn't be laicized, but is really up to the bishop. Considering that St. Mary's has been seen as a model of campus ministry for the whole country, I can imagine bringing scandal to it will not be taken lightly.
OceanStateAg
AG
It seems that counseling/time at a retreat center would be in order and then a decision made. It's not impossible that he'd be assigned to another parish, given that it sounds like everything was between consenting adults. It's ultimately up to the Bishop.
powerbelly
AG
Thanks.

I honestly hope this wouldn't be a career ender, but I imagine there is a lot that goes into that decision.
Bird Poo
AG
OceanStateAg said:

With an adult.

Was the adult another man? I may not have the right to know that answer and some would argue that it doesn't matter. But I would like to know considering the church's position on the subject.

Regardless, the entire situation is heartbreaking.
cavscout96
AG
PearlJammin said:

OceanStateAg said:

With an adult.

Was the adult another man? I may not have the right to know that answer and some would argue that it doesn't matter. But I would like to know considering the church's position on the subject.

Help me understand.

ALL men (ie, humanity) is flawed and imperfect. If we put our faith in men, even clergy, then we have set ourselves up for disappointment.

I can understand disappointing, surprising, or even shocking, but I don't really get "heartbreaking."
jrico2727
AG
I heard a female but truly doesn't matter he broke his vows, it's bad either way.
Bird Poo
AG
cavscout96 said:

PearlJammin said:

OceanStateAg said:

With an adult.

Help me understand.

ALL men (ie, humanity) is flawed and imperfect. If we put our faith in men, even clergy, then we have set ourselves up for disappointment.

I can understand disappointing, surprising, or even shocking, but I don't really get "heartbreaking."
Any person of faith getting fired is heartbreaking. Not hard to understand.

He is flawed. He screwed up. He was a good friend to many and a servant of Christ.
cavscout96
AG
Not an attack on him, or anyone else. Just commenting that we are all flawed. To expect anything else is unrealistic. That's why we are so blessed with our undeserved grace and why we are called to extend grace to other sinners.

Still don't see it as "heartbreaking."

FalconAg06
The Jesuits have thrown a flag citing illegal procedure for having a heterosexual tryst.
NoahAg
powerbelly said:

My very Catholic boss says historically they would sweep it under the rug and shuffle the priest over to another parish.
747Ag
AG
NoahAg said:

powerbelly said:

My very Catholic boss says historically they would sweep it under the rug and shuffle the priest over to another parish.
Bishop Vasquez will not sweep this under the rug.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Not trying to excuse anyone for breaking a vow, but I find the other adult in these type situations pretty disgusting. Who knowingly consents to break a priest's vow of chastity, and one that could drastically affect his life and career? How could you do that to someone you supposedly care about? Even if his self-control was weak, it's still pretty loathesome to take him up on it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Not trying to excuse anyone for breaking a vow, but I find the other adult in these type situations pretty disgusting. Who knowingly consents to break a priest's vow of chastity, and one that could drastically affect his life and career? How could you do that to someone you supposedly care about? Even if his self-control was weak, it's still pretty loathesome to take him up on it.
I extend the same grace to each party. Both knew it was wrong and consented. One isn't worse than the other IMO. Especially when the priest is an authority figure.
cavscout96
AG
point of order.

Isn't the priesthood considered a vocation, as opposed to a career? He serves in his vocation for God's glory and to preach the Gospel, not for his own sake or his advancement, right?

I mean, the term career, applied to any member of the clergy, just seems... weird.

Substitute monk, or nun....
ramblin_ag02
AG
One is an authority figure, but he is also the only one who will definitely suffer negative consequences. I just find it reprehensible when the best case scenarios are either him regretting it later or abandoning his career and calling for you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
cavscout96 said:

point of order.

Isn't the priesthood considered a vocation, as opposed to a career? He serves in his vocation for God's glory and to preach the Gospel, not for his own sake or his advancement, right?

I mean, the term career, applied to any member of the clergy, just seems... weird.

That's fair. Inexact wording on my part. I wasn't referencing advancement but rather would he be able to return to a similar role in the future.
ramblin_ag02
AG
cavscout96 said:

point of order.

No disrespect intended. Its potato/potato to me. There's enough ambition among clergy of all flavors that I think the term still applies
RAB91
ramblin_ag02 said:

I obviously know none of the details, but they used to use the term 'chalice chipper' for the women who pursued priests.
Saint Pablo
As a lifelong Catholic, I really struggle with the concept of a celibate priesthood. I don't understand how having a wife and kids would make a priest any less holy or any less capable of leading a parish towards Christ. I especially struggle with the idea that this regulation (not dogma) came about around the twelfth century so that priests' land couldn't be inherited by their descendants, rather it would be returned to the church. Christ's apostles were married.

Many protestant preachers that I have known or listened to in person or online seem to be much stronger in conveying Christ's message than some of the priests that I have encountered, despite having wives and kids. I think that one of the primary reasons that the 80% of Catholics no longer practice the faith 10 years after receiving the sacrament of Confirmation is because Christ's message isn't firmly delivered in mass and I think this is primarily because there is a shortage of strong, bold priests leading our churches. I think more men would feel inclined to become priests if they were able to live out that vocation while having a family of their own.

Would this prevent something like what Fr. Brian did? I think so, but maybe not. Maybe he would have just cheated on his wife and broken his vows.
powerbelly
AG
I see both the advantages and disadvantages of a celibate priesthood.

I have seen enough infidelity with married pastors to know that marriage would not have necessarily prevented this from happening.
Saint Pablo
powerbelly said:

I see both the advantages and disadvantages of a celibate priesthood.

I have seen enough infidelity with married pastors to know that marriage would not have necessarily prevented this from happening.
I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. But that is just one of many critiques I have of the Church.

That may very well be the case. A lot of weak men out there.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Saint Pablo said:

As a lifelong Catholic, I really struggle with the concept of a celibate priesthood. I don't understand how having a wife and kids would make a priest any less holy or any less capable of leading a parish towards Christ. I especially struggle with the idea that this regulation (not dogma) came about around the twelfth century so that priests' land couldn't be inherited by their descendants, rather it would be returned to the church. Christ's apostles were married.

Many protestant preachers that I have known or listened to in person or online seem to be much stronger in conveying Christ's message than some of the priests that I have encountered, despite having wives and kids. I think that one of the primary reasons that the 80% of Catholics no longer practice the faith 10 years after receiving the sacrament of Confirmation is because Christ's message isn't firmly delivered in mass and I think this is primarily because there is a shortage of strong, bold priests leading our churches. I think more men would feel inclined to become priests if they were able to live out that vocation while having a family of their own.

Would this prevent something like what Fr. Brian did? I think so, but maybe not. Maybe he would have just cheated on his wife and broken his vows.

I would argue that married clergy with children are better examples to follow than those that remain celibate. Life experience aids in guidance. Being able to relate to the layperson.
Saint Pablo
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Saint Pablo said:

I would argue that married clergy with children are better examples to follow than those that remain celibate. Life experience aids in guidance. Being able to relate to the layperson.
I agree.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Regardless the man sinned, just as we all do. I hope that he is able to move forward and can continue to serve God within the priesthood.
Saint Pablo
Agreed. I loved him when I was at A&M. Very dynamic priest.
Post removed:
by user
jrico2727
AG
Yes it would be breaking his vow and sodomy.
Post removed:
by user
jrico2727
AG
If I rob a bank is it worse if I kill someone or not. If you commit one sin there is not a way to cover other sins under one umbrella. Penance is assigned by the priest and is really arbitrary, what matters is contrition for one's sins without that it doesn't matter how much penance you do.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.