Can Catholics be Democrats?

14,371 Views | 210 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FIDO95
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah, got it. Good luck with that
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SirDippinDots
Maybe we worship a different. Will take a look sometime.
RebelE Infantry
AG
FalconAg06 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

You may want to be more specific. I googled "Third Position" and what I found was the fusion of the worst parts of fascism (hypernationalism, racism, and state control of morality) mixed with the worst parts of communism (complete state control all economic activity). If there's some specific meaning to that term in regards to the Arab/Israeli conflict I'd like to read about it.

Make Jerusalem part of christendom again. Its a meme.

This. Reestablish the Latin Kingdom and Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The Holy Land belongs to Christendom.
PacifistAg
AG
FalconAg06 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

You may want to be more specific. I googled "Third Position" and what I found was the fusion of the worst parts of fascism (hypernationalism, racism, and state control of morality) mixed with the worst parts of communism (complete state control all economic activity). If there's some specific meaning to that term in regards to the Arab/Israeli conflict I'd like to read about it.

Yuck
Serotonin
AG
PacifistAg said:

FalconAg06 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Yuck
You're not familiar with the latest memes produced by based Zoomer Tradcaths?
jrico2727
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

FalconAg06 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

This. Reestablish the Latin Kingdom and Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The Holy Land belongs to Christendom.
Jerusalem, Washington and the whole world should be under the banner of Christ our King.

Deus Vult!
FalconAg06
If you will it, then it is no dream
PacifistAg
AG
Serotonin said:

PacifistAg said:

FalconAg06 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Yuck
No. That certainly does not sound like a world I'd be even bumping into. If it's anything like I've seen of "tradwives", then I can only shudder to think about how antichrist it is.
RAB91
Ag4coal
PacifistAg said:

Serotonin said:

PacifistAg said:

FalconAg06 said:

ramblin_ag02 said:

Yuck
No. That certainly does not sound like a world I'd be even bumping into. If it's anything like I've seen of "tradwives", then I can only shudder to think about how antichrist it is.
I know nothing of "zoomer trad caths", but, while a quick google search of "tradwives" shows a few extreme examples of complete male dominance, overall it seems to be a movement towards a return to a single income family model with the father as the head and mother as primary provider for the children. Maybe I'm missing something? Not sure how that is "antichrist".
SirDippinDots
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

It is. The Nation state of Israel as you refer to her is Bible prophecy fulfilled.
Just pointing you to the most amazing resource on the topic of the creation of modern Israel. It's a podcast called MartyrMade by Darryl Cooper. It's a fair, unbiased, and uncensored look at the history and consequences of Zionism in the Holy Land, and it isn't pretty. It's over 20 hours, so don't expect a 20 minute executive summary.

If you can listen to that and tell me modern Israel arose as God fulfilling a prophecy, then you and I might as well worship different gods. The modern nation of Israel came about because a group of Jewish refugees from around Europe escaped to the Holy Land. Then they turned around and violently conquered the land from the Arabs followed by waging a worldwide terror campaign against the British. There are no "good guys" in the Israeli/Arab conflict. Only aggressors and victims, and there are plenty to go around on each side.

It's also somewhat ironic to see staunch conservatives decry the perils unrestricted immigration, and then turn around and praise Israel which is a product of the perils of unrestricted immigration.

So since Israel is not sinless God's promise to them is void?
SirDippinDots
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

It is. The Nation state of Israel as you refer to her is Bible prophecy fulfilled.
Just pointing you to the most amazing resource on the topic of the creation of modern Israel. It's a podcast called MartyrMade by Darryl Cooper. It's a fair, unbiased, and uncensored look at the history and consequences of Zionism in the Holy Land, and it isn't pretty. It's over 20 hours, so don't expect a 20 minute executive summary.

If you can listen to that and tell me modern Israel arose as God fulfilling a prophecy, then you and I might as well worship different gods. The modern nation of Israel came about because a group of Jewish refugees from around Europe escaped to the Holy Land. Then they turned around and violently conquered the land from the Arabs followed by waging a worldwide terror campaign against the British. There are no "good guys" in the Israeli/Arab conflict. Only aggressors and victims, and there are plenty to go around on each side.

It's also somewhat ironic to see staunch conservatives decry the perils unrestricted immigration, and then turn around and praise Israel which is a product of the perils of unrestricted immigration.

Made it through the first 24 minutes of the first podcast. They guy rambles on and on without being able to get to the point.
Zobel
AG
Who is "them"? And what promise are you talking about?
ramblin_ag02
AG
It's a 25 hour series. He's not in a hurry to get anywhere, and he doesn't really have a point. He just gives the full story of the origins of Zionism and the origins of modern Israel with overflowing amounts of context. It's the Dan Carlin style of podcasting and I guess it's not for everyone. I have a long communte and burn through these things in weeks.

Regarding your "since Israel is sinful" comment, not exactly. Of course we are all sinful, and God can work through us anyway. But let's look at the modern nation of Israel in brief highlights. They gained passage to the Holy Land in small numbers as refugees, because first the Ottomans and then the British felt sorry for them after all the violent anti-Semitism of Eastern Europe. So far so good. Even the Arabs were happy to have them at that time. They took that welcome and began inviting more and more Jews to the Land. They used a global network of financing to buy up land from the basically feudal Arab lords, and then kicked all the Arab serfs off the land and made them homeless. Then they refused to hire them, creating an everygrowing and entirely artficial humanitarian crisis. When the homeless and impoverished Arabs became upset about this, the Jews used their connections in the Ottoman and then British Empires to completely shut them out of any diplomatic process. When the Arabs turned to violence, the Jews turned to the British Empire to conduct draconian military solutions to this. Once the Arabs were neutered, the Jews started terror bombing, kidnapping, torturing, and killing British soldiers until the British were so fed up they basically turned it over to the UN. Which was then manipulated to give the Jews half of the Holy Land, and which they used to quickly conquer the lands given to the Arabs as well.

Now that's a pretty one-sided anti-Zionist account of this. The Eastern Europeans, Arabs, Nazi's, the British, and us Americans all share some blame and accountability for the current Middle East conflict and no one involved has clean hands. That being said, the Jews used a combination of illegal immigration, economic warfare, military warfare, propaganda and terrorism to create a modern Israel. These were used first against the Arabs and then the British before either side even knew there was a conflict. I know God works in mysterious ways, but my God doesn't work in those ways. The idea of their nation as a beacon of peace, democracy, freedom, and Godliness in a barbaric Middle East is just a propaganda fantasty, or at least it has been until recently. Like with any other country, they are becoming closer and closer to their ideal image of themselves over time, but I don't see anything Godly about the process of Israel's formation.

Edit before the inevitable accusation of anti-semitism: I spent a decade as a Messianic. I have worshipped with Jews on High Holy Days and still do my best to follow Torah. I think God's covenant with the Jews is intact and they are still His people as much as they ever were. I'm about as pro-Jew as you can get without actually being Jewish. None of that changes my thoughts of the facts above.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SirDippinDots
Yeah, it was more like listening to a librarian read a story when you were in grade school, telling a story, then someone just getting to the facts. Maybe when I start commuting to the office again I will pick it back up.
PabloSerna
AG
If I can elaborate...

1. The Good Samaritan:

First point - we agree that abortion is evil. More over I have stated that it is a rejection of the will of God. If we agree that the will of God is to give life AND as already covered that we ARE our brother's keeper.. then it seems to me that we can apply the moral of the story about the Good Samaritan in this case, namely, that we are called to do more - much more to ensure that "thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Second point - I think the idea that you are less Catholic or more Catholic because you vote a certain way is a red herring. Jesus has already said (JN 13:34-35) that all will know we are his disciples by the love we have for one another. So it follows that the best way to approach any issue is with love.

2. The Workers in the Vineyard:

To me this is one of the more remarkable insights into The Kingdom of God in all the bible. On one level, it introduces the wisdom of God seeing past mankind's failures when it comes to taking care of our fellow man.

Here are the key verses (clipped from biblegateway.com, bold emphasis mine)

"3 "About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' 5 So they went."
"He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?' 7 "'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'

As you know, the landowner pays the workers hired last a full day's wage. The workers hired first became incensed when they received the same pay thinking they would get more than what they agreed to with the landowner. Why? Because that is how man thinks about "right" and "wrong" - selfishly.

Final Point - God made "right" what should have always been.

For me, this is where I feel like we as a country have come up short. It should not be a crisis to have a child... ever. Yet we are told over and over that an unplanned pregnancy is one of the worst things that can happen to a young person. That is the lie that almost sunk me. I believed that having a child at my age then (19 yrs) was a huge mistake. Never mind the whole sex outside of marriage aspect - I couldn't see past my selfishness. For me, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I just couldn't see it then.

I still believe that the best way to "end" abortion is to do something better. Something more loving.

+Pablo

Zobel
AG
That's well and good. Should abortion be legal or not?
Ag4coal
PabloSerna said:

If I can elaborate...

1. The Good Samaritan:

First point - we agree that abortion is evil. More over I have stated that it is a rejection of the will of God. If we agree that the will of God is to give life AND as already covered that we ARE our brother's keeper.. then it seems to me that we can apply the moral of the story about the Good Samaritan in this case, namely, that we are called to do more - much more to ensure that "thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

Second point - I think the idea that you are less Catholic or more Catholic because you vote a certain way is a red herring. Jesus has already said (JN 13:34-35) that all will know we are his disciples by the love we have for one another. So it follows that the best way to approach any issue is with love.

2. The Workers in the Vineyard:

To me this is one of the more remarkable insights into The Kingdom of God in all the bible. On one level, it introduces the wisdom of God seeing past mankind's failures when it comes to taking care of our fellow man.

Here are the key verses (clipped from biblegateway.com, bold emphasis mine)

"3 "About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' 5 So they went."
"He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?' 7 "'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'

As you know, the landowner pays the workers hired last a full day's wage. The workers hired first became incensed when they received the same pay thinking they would get more than what they agreed to with the landowner. Why? Because that is how man thinks about "right" and "wrong" - selfishly.

Final Point - God made "right" what should have always been.

For me, this is where I feel like we as a country have come up short. It should not be a crisis to have a child... ever. Yet we are told over and over that an unplanned pregnancy is one of the worst things that can happen to a young person. That is the lie that almost sunk me. I believed that having a child at my age then (19 yrs) was a huge mistake. Never mind the whole sex outside of marriage aspect - I couldn't see past my selfishness. For me, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I just couldn't see it then.

I still believe that the best way to "end" abortion is to do something better. Something more loving.

+Pablo

Catholics are both/and. We need to do something more loving AND outlaw it.

It is known that laws shape the moral conscience of a country more than moral conscience changes laws. By outlawing abortion, the country is sending a clear message: "This is wrong". Doesn't mean everyone will agree, but it will help shape most of the middle. These are the souls we are trying to save, along with the souls of the aborted babies. Souls come first. Zero souls have been lost due to poverty alone. There are over 100 million souls (at minimum) at risk right now because of abortions.

And to your points about "having a baby should never be viewed as the end of the world" and sex outside of marriage, Humanae Vitae was clear on this: As soon as we divorce sex from babies, all the rest fails. If we want to stop abortions, we NEED to focus on the fact that sex should equal babies when all conditions are right. That's the primary point of coming together, along with marital unity. And we can't even begin to broach that topic until we see babies as valuable. And we can't begin to see them as valuable when we're throwing millions of them in the trash. It's amazing how a little thing like contraception created the slide that it did.

TexAgs1992
What I struggle with are my Christian friends (Protestant and Catholic) who justify voting and actively supporting democrats financially. I'm a Christian that is a constitutional conservative. That said, I will NEVER give money to conservative political causes over giving money to my church.
Zobel
AG
Zobel said:

That's well and good. Should abortion be legal or not?

Crickets.
PabloSerna
AG
We agree. Illegal. Because as it is now - it rejects the will of God.

My point that I am failing to make here is that for many good Christians, they will stop there and walk on the other side of the road - failing to see the forest for the trees.

+pablo

PabloSerna
AG
Agree that it is a "both/and" approach.

My argument is the sequence and follow through. If I understand your approach, it would be that we would strike down Roe v Wade first - then people struggling with a so-called "unwanted" pregnancy will not have such circumstances or that great support systems will fill the void. Maybe, maybe not? It would depend on a lot of factors.

I am hopeful that by addressing the circumstances that afflict people facing an "un-wanted" pregnancy, be it through expanded welfare for expecting mothers, maternity leave, prenatal care programs, parenting classes, expanded benefits, or even stimulus money. All the policies opposed by good people who view any expansion of government as tantamount to communism or socialism, am I right? So we can agree that abortion is evil. It is the approach that we probably disagree.

+++

One point about Human Vitae that Pope Paul address in the opening is that of mankind seeking to control his environment. First with nature then with his sexuality. This mentality is what brought us to the footsteps of so-called "birth control" - which is erroneous from both aspects of "birth" and "control" - since it seeks to eliminate both. As you have stated, the unitive and procreative aspect of our sexuality are two sides of the same coin.

I remain hopeful that we will eliminate abortion in my lifetime, because I believe in the goodness of people to overcome this evil. However, I believe it will happen because the lie about abortion will be exposed and the truth of life will win the day.

+pablo

Zobel
AG
I suppose you don't hedge or have a bunch of provisos and buts and ands and ifs about murder, or rape, or theft.

There are a lot of evils things that people do, and lots of ways we can talk about ministering and witnessing to the love of Jesus Christ to those suffering. However, the United States government will not, can not, fix those things with any amount of social programs, parenting classes, or other forms of other people's money.

Your continued inability to untie the two topics is a lukewarm approach. You are more or less saying that you support voting for the Democratic party because you think their social programs are more important deterrents to abortion than making it illegal, all while they advocate clearly expanding access to abortion, extending the circumstances were abortions are legal, and using those same tax dollars to expand the very same programs institutions that directly lead to the staggering number of abortions today.

I can't see the gray area surrounding a vote for the party of abortion in good conscience.
PabloSerna
AG
"The only possible solution to this question is one which envisages the social and economic progress both of individuals and of the whole of human society, and which respects and promotes true human values."

- Pope Paul VI, Humane Vitae
July 25, 1968

In this instance Pope Paul was discussing the question of ways for Public Authorities to address the "population problem". This is the same problem facing families in my opinion and new couples as well. For me, I take the words of Pope Paul to heart that it begins with a government approach that is "people first" and not so much "business first". I'm a small business owner, so I can appreciate less government regulation, however, I do think there needs to be a balance.

Anyway - just my take on why I don't support the current administration and will be voting for a change of leadership.

+pablo

PabloSerna
AG
When I talk to my so-called "liberal" friends - they support abortion for the very reason my so-called "conservative" friends express - to eliminate an unwanted pregnancy**.

I say unwanted - but as I have already stated, God wants it. In fact he wills life into existence. Therefore it is upon mankind to support life at every level (pre-born to the end). This support will take your time, your talent, and your treasure. Make no mistake. We are talking programs that will re-distribute wealth.

Again, we need to educate people about responsibility and the sacredness of sex. That is the part that I think many good people will balk at - they don't see the conjugal act the same way God does. So, we as a society build in an off ramp - like contraceptives or abortion.

If we only say, end Roe v Wade, but fail to look at the economics of struggling new mothers and fathers, then we have not really taken the words of God to heart.

+Pablo

** Abstinence and eliminating access to abortion is a path I hear most often.
SirDippinDots
PabloSerna said:

"The only possible solution to this question is one which envisages the social and economic progress both of individuals and of the whole of human society, and which respects and promotes true human values."

July 25, 1968

In this instance Pope Paul was discussing the question of ways for Public Authorities to address the "population problem". This is the same problem facing families in my opinion and new couples as well. For me, I take the words of Pope Paul to heart that it begins with a government approach that is "people first" and not so much "business first". I'm a small business owner, so I can appreciate less government regulation, however, I do think there needs to be a balance.

Anyway - just my take on why I don't support the current administration and will be voting for a change of leadership.

+pablo

So the Chinese forced abortion program (one child policy) is something to consider?
Serotonin
AG
PabloSerna said:

fail to look at the economics of struggling new mothers and fathers
There is a flaw in socialist logic which is this:

People can't manage their lives, therefore
People have to manage the people who can't manage their lives (through programs, education, money, etc)

Of course, the "people" referred to in #1 actually have the incentive to manage their own lives properly while the "people" in #2 have the incentive to maintain their power and job security. This is why we do not hear about government bureaucracies declining over time, and new problems have to be created.

But the biggest issue I have with socialist programs is not inefficiency, lack of quantifiable results, or unforeseen downstream effects. It's that the whole premise is that the underlying problem is economic and not spiritual. If this were the case then the Amish and many Hasidic Jews would have major issues with pregnancy and family formation.

***Spoiler alert***

They don't.
PabloSerna
AG
SirDippinDots said:

PabloSerna said:

July 25, 1968

+pablo

So the Chinese forced abortion program (one child policy) is something to consider?
I'm guessing you glossed over the "true human values" part. Clearly that Chinese policy misses the mark.
SirDippinDots
PabloSerna said:

SirDippinDots said:

PabloSerna said:

July 25, 1968

+pablo

I'm guessing you glossed over the "true human values" part. Clearly that Chinese policy misses the mark.

Killing babies is killing babies.
Zobel
AG
If you think the words of God support re-distribution of wealth by governments I'd say you haven't really taken the words of God to heart.

We are called as individuals and collectively as the Church to commend ourselves and each other and our whole lives to Christ our God, and to offer ourselves as living sacrifices.

We should always remember that pure and undefiled religion before the God the Father is for US to visit orphans and widows in their distress. Not outsource it to the government with virtueless tax collections.

Quote:

If we only say, end Roe v Wade, but fail to look at the economics of struggling new mothers and fathers, then we have not really taken the words of God to heart.
Again, this approach just doesn't work. Every crime ever has an economic correlation. Yours is an argument against laws, and against charity, and supplants the function of the Church with that of the State.

Yuck.

Rationalize your vote however you need to soothe your conscience. But don't piss down my back and tell me its raining. A vote for the Democratic party is a vote for abortion.
PabloSerna
AG
Serotonin said:

PabloSerna said:

fail to look at the economics of struggling new mothers and fathers
There is a flaw in socialist logic which is this:

People can't manage their lives, therefore
People have to manage the people who can't manage their lives (through programs, education, money, etc)

Of course, the "people" referred to in #1 actually have the incentive to manage their own lives properly while the "people" in #2 have the incentive to maintain their power and job security. This is why we do not hear about government bureaucracies declining over time, and new problems have to be created.

But the biggest issue I have with socialist programs is not inefficiency, lack of quantifiable results, or unforeseen downstream effects. It's that the whole premise is that the underlying problem is economic and not spiritual. If this were the case then the Amish and many Hasidic Jews would have major issues with pregnancy and family formation.

***Spoiler alert***

They don't.
I am trying to understand your logic in light of being a Catholic and being a Democrat and what that has to do with your example of socialist logic - because it doesn't fit the exhortation in Humane Vitae (#23).

Human Vitae recognizes the reality that for some young people, they will not be thinking about responsibility AND love - just love. For me, it was mainly "sex" - since that was what dominated my teenage years if I am being honest. The question then becomes, what happens when sex leads to a pregnancy? What do those kids do if they did not plan that? What is the responsibility of the Public Authorities when it comes to supporting struggling families?

I agree with you that it is both an economic and spiritual response. What does that look like?

+pablo

EDIT to add more about Public Authorities. Was unclear before.

SirDippinDots
It looks like parents raising their children, not expecting their fellow citizens to pay for their children.
PabloSerna
AG
In reading the Acts of the Apostles - redistribution of wealth is discussed. This does not mean that God is against earning money or even earning a lot of money - it is what do you do with so much money, I think. Something about the eye of the needle and a camel.

I stand on the principle that government has an obligation to the poor and marginalized in our society. "Preferential option for the poor" as it is known in our Catholic faith.

+pablo

EDIT to delete "paramount" because the Acts is more than just how the early church handled money.
PabloSerna
AG
SirDippinDots said:

It looks like parents raising their children, not expecting their fellow citizens to pay for their children.

It looks like being your brother's keeper to me.

jrico2727
AG
Do you really think you're doing a good job of representing the Catholic faith right now?

"Let priests take care not to accept from the liberal any ideas which, under the mask of good, pretend to reconcile justice with iniquity. Liberal Catholics are wolves in sheep's clothing. The priest must unveil to the people their perfidious plot, their iniquitous design. You will be called Papist, clerical, retrograde, intolerant, but pay no heed to the derision and mockery of the wicked. Have courage; you must never yield, nor is there any need to yield. You must go into the attack whole-heartedly, not in secret but in public, not behind barred doors, but in the open, in the view of all."

Pope Pius X

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.