It's time!

3,610 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Zobel
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like the mythical 'War on Christmas' is starting even earlier this year.

T&P for all the Starbucks cups caught in the crossfire.
swimmerbabe11
It's not even advent yet. Let's hold out to be Christmas outraged until then please.
PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

It's not even advent yet. Let's hold out to be Christmas outraged until then please.

It's never too early to be outraged over things that aren't real issues!
dermdoc
AG
Agree. I am as conservative as they come and think this is silly. And it is also silly for American Christians to think they are persecuted.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Win At Life
AG
Are we outraged over the removal of Christmas trees or attaching pagan symbols to God?
dermdoc
AG
Win At Life said:

Are we outraged over the removal of Christmas trees or attaching pagan symbols to God?

So pagans had pre lit artificial trees? Who would have thought it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
UTExan
dermdoc said:

Agree. I am as conservative as they come and think this is silly. And it is also silly for American Christians to think they are persecuted.

Except perhaps in western Washington state, California and Portland, OR.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
dermdoc
AG
UTExan said:

dermdoc said:

Am I missing something? What is happening to Christians in those areas?
Win At Life
AG
dermdoc said:

Win At Life said:

You mean to MAKE an image of a pagan winter solstice ashra tree? Well, I don't know. Let me see.

"You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
Woody2006
AG
dermdoc said:

UTExan said:

dermdoc said:

Christians aren't the majority in those areas. Not being the majority = persecution.
Frok
AG
Pyschopaths who put up Christmas decorations in early November
747Ag
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

December 1. Then go for it.
747Ag
AG
Win At Life said:

dermdoc said:

Win At Life said:

You mean to MAKE an image of a pagan winter solstice ashra tree? Well, I don't know. Let me see.

"You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
You are referencing the wrong set of pagans and practices re: Christmas trees.

St. Bonifatius, ora pro nobis!

Your critique does carry some weight with certain current-day Roman prelates and the pachamama, though.
Mort Rainey
This guy is a total joke.
ramblin_ag02
AG
747Ag said:

Win At Life said:

dermdoc said:

Win At Life said:

You are referencing the wrong set of pagans and practices re: Christmas trees.

St. Bonifatius, ora pro nobis!

Your critique does carry some weight with certain current-day Roman prelates and the pachamama, though.
Having been a ways down the Messianic road, the whole Christmas tree thing just makes me terribly uncomfortable. I've gotten over my righteous loathing of dyed eggs and Halloween costumes, but I'm still a no-go on Christmas trees. I get it's not the exact prohibition against Asherah poles, but it's way to close for me to feel comfortable about it
UTExan
dermdoc said:

UTExan said:

dermdoc said:

Oregon Shooter Targeted Christians

Assembly Bill 2943 declares biblical books and Christian conferences dealing with biblical views on homosexuality or transgenderism as fraudulent under the state's consumer fraud statute.

Washington State to Churches: 'Pay for Abortions or Break the Law'

Those of us in the western rectangular shaped states pay attention to the latest eruptions of dumbassery in the legislatures and social happenings on the Crazy Coast.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
PacifistAg
AG
UTExan said:

dermdoc said:

UTExan said:

dermdoc said:

Oregon Shooter Targeted Christians

Assembly Bill 2943 declares biblical books and Christian conferences dealing with biblical views on homosexuality or transgenderism as fraudulent under the state's consumer fraud statute.

Washington State to Churches: 'Pay for Abortions or Break the Law'

Those of us in the western rectangular shaped states pay attention to the latest eruptions of dumbassery in the legislatures and social happenings on the Crazy Coast.

The CA bill seems to be aimed at prohibiting conversion therapy. It doesn't seem to try and prohibit one from holding to a particular interpretation of the Scriptures, but that you simply cannot sell conversion therapy.
Quote:

This bill intends to make clear that sexual orientation change efforts are an unlawful practice under California's Consumer Legal Remedies Act.

As for the Washington state bill, I found this:
Quote:

Who's impacted?
Starting January 1, 2019, the mandate applies to all new or renewing fully insured group and individual medical plans, including grandfathered plans.
Important note: Fully insured groups may opt out due to religious objection by following an existing Premera process.
UTExan
Apropos of the Washington state bill:

Quote:

But the bill's sponsor, Democrat state Sen. Steve Hobbs, declined to change it, saying employers had the option of suing.

"Health care is about the individual, not about them," Hobbs told KOMO-TV
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/march/washington-state-to-churches-pay-for-abortions-or-break-the-law
Aggrad08
AG
Can we have a real war on Christmas before thanksgiving?
Solo Tetherball Champ
swimmerbabe11 said:

Agreed.

I have already warned my wife that I will have no christmas cheer until two weeks before Christmas.

#MakeThanksgivingGreatAgain
AgLiving06
My mom put up one of her trees today (she puts up at least 3).

She told me Thanksgiving is late this year and if she waited until then, there'd be hardly any days with the trees up.

She does live her Christmas though.
Frok
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Can we have a real war on Christmas before thanksgiving?

You can wage your war on Christmas and I'll wage my war on women's health. Deal?
ramblin_ag02
AG
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-texas-snowman-christmas-decorations-20191114-daeiq7pgufhnbi7lgwf2dfp2ye-story.html?outputType=amp

Opening salvos! HOA forces couple to take down Christmas decorations because it's too early. I think they just feel guilty about hating Jesus
dermdoc
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-texas-snowman-christmas-decorations-20191114-daeiq7pgufhnbi7lgwf2dfp2ye-story.html?outputType=amp

Opening salvos! HOA forces couple to take down Christmas decorations because it's too early. I think they just feel guilty about hating Jesus
I live in the sticks and leave my Christmas lights on my fence line up all year. I was HOA President in Beaumont for ever(supposed to be a one year term but they would not let me off because I was not crazy)and we actually had in our bylaws no Christmas lights before the weekend before Thanksgiving and had to be down by Epiphany which is usually a week after New Year's. Never had a problem even though I think some may have gone up early.

What kind of busybody would actually make these folks take their stuff down? Do you have a life?
swimmerbabe11
I appreciate the sentiment but I hate HOAs

PacifistAg
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I hate HOA's! It's NEVER too early for Christmas decorations/music/movies!
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I hate HOA's! It's NEVER too early for Christmas decorations/music/movies!

Agree. Are you sure you go to a CofC?

And I seriously think that you and K2 need to come by the humble abode for a beer or five.
swimmerbabe11
Is it cuz I'm a girl?
dermdoc
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

Is it cuz I'm a girl?

Not at all. I have lite beer. And aperitifs.

You know me. You are like an adopted daughter. And everyone here is welcome. I have been blessed beyond my wildest dreams.
dermdoc
AG
And about HOAs. True story, Jack Brooks, the old Congressman forever from Beaumont, was my down the street neighbor. He knew my dad and knew my dad and I were died in the wool conservatives who always voted against him. But for whatever reason, he really respected my dad and me and would always bring me the best deer sausage and smoke cigars on my porch.

He used to bring signs into our HOA meetings that said "Keep Eddie" my name to folks who know me. I told him he was out of order.
PacifistAg
AG
Well, now that we're here in CS, we haven't been attending a CoC. We know some stuff that went down at A&M CoC that make us uncomfortable there. We have not been able to find a church body. We have attended several different denominations. Visited St Silouan, but we made the mistake of going in pretty blind. It was a last minute decision because my wife had heard me singing the praises of Orthodox so much. I don't think that was a good idea, especially for a very small congregation. It seemed very claustrophobic and was such a radical departure of what we have grown up in that my kids couldn't handle it. I think if I stopped being lazy and drove my butt to Houston to visit with k2, then it would be much better. I loved it though regardless.

As for a beer, absolutely. Beware, I may just vent nonstop about work lol.
dermdoc
AG
PacifistAg said:

Well, now that we're here in CS, we haven't been attending a CoC. We know some stuff that went down at A&M CoC that make us uncomfortable there. We have not been able to find a church body. We have attended several different denominations. Visited St Silouan, but we made the mistake of going in pretty blind. It was a last minute decision because my wife had heard me singing the praises of Orthodox so much. I don't think that was a good idea, especially for a very small congregation. It seemed very claustrophobic and was such a radical departure of what we have grown up in that my kids couldn't handle it. I think if I stopped being lazy and drove my butt to Houston to visit with k2, then it would be much better. I loved it though regardless.

As for a beer, absolutely. Beware, I may just vent nonstop about work lol.
As long as my wine glass is not empty, I am a great listener. I would love you to visit Brazos Fellowship.
Zobel
AG
I'll be up for the game and planning to go to church Sunday if you want to join?
dermdoc
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I'll be up for the game and planning to go to church Sunday if you want to join?
Everybody is welcome to come by the house before the game. We will be there until about 4.
swimmerbabe11
dermdoc said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Is it cuz I'm a girl?

Not at all. I have lite beer. And aperitifs.

You know me. You are like an adopted daughter. And everyone here is welcome. I have been blessed beyond my wildest dreams.

LIGHT BEER?!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.