Happy Reformation Day

9,981 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's so confusing even in this thread. We say that humility means the saints don't want honor, and would tell us to stop honoring them, but we should honor them anyway? And we should never lose focus, so we shouldn't ask the saints for intercessory prayers, unless theyre *really short* like asking the saints to pray with us?

If we're talking about "more attention to Christ" should we consider that the hymn to the Theotokos is not the whole prayer rule for communion. Here it is:

Quote:

Prayers of Preparation:
O Lord and Master, Jesus Christ, our God, Fountain of life and immortality, Creator of all things visible and invisible; Consubstantial and Co-eternal Son of the eternal Father, who in thine exceeding great love didst become incarnate in the latter days, and was crucified for us ungrateful and wicked children, and by thine own Blood didst renew our nature corrupted by sin: Do thou, O Immortal King, receive me, a repentant sinner; incline thine ear unto me and hear my prayer. I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned against heaven and before thee, and I am not worthy to lift up my eyes to the majesty of thy glory, for I have affronted thy goodness, and broken thy commandments, and disobeyed thy laws. But thou, O Lord, most loving, long-suffering and merciful, hast not given me over to perish in my sin, but dost ever await my return. For, O Thou who lovest mankind, thou hast said, by thy Prophet, that thou hast no pleasure in the death of a sinner, but rather than he should turn from his wickedness and live. Thou dost not desire, O Master, to destroy the works of thy hands or that they should perish, but willest that all men should be saved and come to the knowledge of the Truth. Wherefore I, although unworthy both of heaven and of earth and of this temporary life, even I, a wretched sinner who had given myself over to every evil desire, despair not of salvation, though I have been wholly subject to sin, a slave to passion, and have defiled thine image within me, who am thy creation and thy work; but trusting in thine infinite compassion, draw nigh unto thee. Receive me, O Lord, thou that lovest mankind, as thou didst receive the sinful woman, the thief, the publican and the prodigal son. Take away the heavy burden of my sins, O Thou that takest away the sins of the world, and healest the infirmities of men, and callest all that are weary and heavy laden to thyself and givest them rest; thou that camest not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance, cleanse thou me from all stain of body and soul and teach me to fulfill holiness in thy fear, that with the witness of my conscience pure, I may receive a portion of thy Holy Gifts, and be united to thy Holy Body and Precious Blood, and may have thee, with thy Father and Holy Spirit, dwelling and abiding in me. And grant, O Lord Jesus Christ, my God, that the partaking of thy precious and Life-giving Mysteries may not be to my condemnation, nor may not through the weakness of my soul and body be received unworthily; but grant that, even unto my last breath, I may partake of a portion of thy Holy Gifts without condemnation, unto the Communion of thy Holy Spirit, as a preparation for eternal Life and for a good defense at thy dread Judgment Seat; so that I, together with all thine elect, may also receive those incorruptible good things which thou hast prepared for them that love thee, O Lord; in whom thou art glorified forever. Amen.

O Lord, I know that I am unworthy to receive thy Holy Body and Precious Blood; I know that I am guilty, and that I eat and drink condemnation to myself, not discerning the Body and Blood of Christ my God. But trusting in thy loving-kindness I come unto thee who has said: He that eateth my Body and drinketh my Blood shall dwell in me and I in him. Therefore, O Lord, have compassion on me and make not an example of me, thy sinful servant. But do unto me according to thy great mercy, and grant that these Holy Gifts may be for me unto the healing, purification, enlightenment, protection, salvation and sanctification of my soul and body, and to the expulsion of every evil imagination, sinful deed or work of the Devil. May they move me to reliance on thee and to love thee always, to amend and keep firm my life; and be ever in me to the increase of virtue, to the keeping of thy Commandments, to the communion of the Holy Spirit, and as a good defense before thy dread Judgment Seat, and for Life Eternal. Amen.

O Lord my God, I know that I am not worthy nor sufficient that thou shouldest enter under my roof into the habitation of my soul, for it is all deserted and in ruins, and thou hast not a fitting place in me to lay thy head. But as from the heights of thy glory thou didst humble thyself, so now bear me in my humility; as thou didst deign to lie in a manger in a cave, so deign now also to come into the manger of my mute soul and corrupt body. As thou didst not refrain from entering into the house of Simon the leper, or shrink from eating there with sinners, so also vouchsafe to enter the house of my poor soul, all leprous and full of sin. Thou didst not reject the sinful woman who ventured to draw near to touch thee, so also have pity on me, a sinner, approaching to touch thee. And grant that I may partake of thine All-holy Body and Precious Blood for the sanctification, enlightenment and strengthening of my weak soul and body; for the relief from the burden of my many sins; for my preservation against all the snares of the devil; for victory over all my sinful and evil habits; for the mortification of my passions; for obedience to thy Commandments; for growth in thy divine Grace and for the inheritance of thy Kingdom. For it is not with careless heart that I approach thee, O Christ my God, but I come trusting in thine infinite goodness, and fearing lest I may be drawn afar from thee and become the prey of the wolf of souls. Wherefore, I pray thee, O Master, who alone art holy, that thou wouldest sanctify my soul and body, my mind and heart and reins, and renew me entirely. Implant in my members the fear of thee, be thou my helper and guide, directing my life in the paths of peace, and make me worthy to stand at thy right hand with thy Saints; through the prayers and intercessions of thine immaculate Mother, of thy Bodiless Servitors, of the immaculate Powers, and of all the Saints who from all ages have been well-pleasing unto thee. Amen.

O Lord and Master Jesus Christ, our God, who alone hath power to forgive the sins of men, do thou, O Good One who lovest mankind, forgive all the sins that I have committed in knowledge or in ignorance, and make me worthy to receive without condemnation thy divine, glorious, immaculate and life-giving Mysteries; not unto punishment or unto increase of sin; but unto purification, and sanctification and a promise of thy Kingdom and the Life to come; as a protection and a help to overthrow the adversaries, and to blot out my many sins. For thou art a God of mercy and compassion and love toward mankind, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with the Father and the Holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

I stand before the gates of thy Temple, and yet I refrain not from my evil thoughts. But do thou, O Christ my God, who didst justify the publican, and hadst mercy on the Canaanite woman, and opened the gates of Paradise to the thief; open unto me the compassion of thy love toward mankind, and receive me as I approach and touch thee, like the sinful woman and the woman with the issue of blood; for the one, by embracing thy feet received the forgiveness of her sins, and the other by but touching the hem of thy garment was healed. And I, most sinful, dare to partake of thy whole Body. Let me not be consumed, but receive me as thou didst receive them, and enlighten the perceptions of my soul, consuming the accusations of my sins: through the intercessions of Her that, without stain, gave Thee birth, and of the heavenly Powers: for thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.

I believe, O Lord, and I confess that thou art truly the Christ, the Son of the living God, who didst come into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. And I believe that this is truly thine own precious Body, and that this is truly thine own precious Blood. Wherefore I pray thee, have mercy upon me and forgive my transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, of word and of deed, of knowledge and of ignorance; and make me worthy to partake without condemnation of thine immaculate Mysteries, unto remission of my sins and unto life everlasting. Amen.

Of thy Mystic Supper, O Son of God, accept me today as a communicant: for I will not speak of thy Mystery to thine enemies, neither will I give thee a kiss as did Judas; but like the thief will I confess thee: Remember me, O Lord, in thy Kingdom.

Not unto judgment nor unto condemnation be my partaking of thy Holy Mysteries, O Lord, but unto the healing of soul and body.

Prayers after Communion:
Glory to thee, O God; Glory to thee, O God; Glory to thee, O God.

I thank thee, O Lord my God, that thou hast not rejected me, a sinner, but hast accounted me worthy to become a communicant of thy holy Mysteries. I thank thee that thou hast accounted me, the unworthy, worthy to partake of thine immaculate and heavenly gifts. But, O Master who lovest mankind, who didst both die for us and rise again, and didst bestow upon us these thy terrible and life-giving Mysteries for the benefiting and sanctification of our souls and bodies; grant that they may be for me also unto the healing of soul and body, unto the averting of everything contrary thereto; unto the enlightenment of the eyes of my heart; unto the peace of my spiritual powers; unto faith invincible; unto love unfeigned; unto fulfilling of wisdom; unto the keeping of thy commandments; unto growth in thy divine grace, and the attainment of thy kingdom; that by them preserved in thy holiness, I may ever remember thy grace, and henceforth live not unto myself, but unto thee, our Master and Benefactor. And thus, when this life is ended in the hope of eternal life, I may attain unto everlasting rest, where the voice of those who keep festival is unceasing, and the delight of those who behold the ineffable beautify of thy countenance is boundless: for thou art the true desire and unutterable joy of those who love thee, O Christ our God, and all creation hymneth thee forever. Amen.

O Master, Christ our God, King of the ages, and maker of all things: I thank thee for all the good things which thou hast bestowed upon me, and for this partaking of thine immaculate and life-giving Mysteries. Wherefore I pray thee, who art good and lovest mankind: Keep me under thy protection, and in the shadow of thy wings; and grant unto me with a pure conscience and even unto my last breath, to partake of thy holy Mysteries, unto remission of sins and unto life everlasting. For thou art the Bread of Life, the Fountain of holiness, the Giver of good things, and unto thee we ascribe glory: to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O thou who willingly dost give thy flesh to me as food,
Thou who art a Fire, consuming the unworthy,
Consume me not, O my Creator;
But rather pass through all my body parts,
Into all my joints, my reins, my heart.
Burn thou the thorns of all my transgressions,
Cleanse my soul, and hallow thou my thoughts.
Make firm my knees, and my bones likewise;
Enlighten as one my five senses,
Establish me wholly in thy fear;
Ever shelter me, and guard and keep me
From every soul-corrupting deed and word,
Chasten me, purify me, and control me;
Adorn me, teach me, and enlighten me.
Show me to be a Tabernacle of thy Spirit only,
And in no wise the dwelling-place of sin,
That from me, thy habitation, through the entrance of thy Communion,
Every evil deed and every passion may flee as from fire.
As intercessors I bring to thee all the Saints,
Both the Angelic Leaders of the Bodiless Powers,
Thy Fore-runner, and thy wise Apostles;
And besides these, thine immaculate and chaste Mother;
Do thou accept their prayers, my Christ, who are compassionate,
And make thy servant to be a child of the light:
For thou alone, Good Lord, are the sanctification and splendor of our souls,
And to thee as God and Master, day by day,
Duly we ascribe all glory.

May thy holy Body, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, be unto me for life eternal, and thy precious Blood unto remission of my sins. May this Eucharist be unto me for joy, health, and gladness; and at thy dread Second Coming make me, a sinner, worthy to stand at the right hand of thy glory: through the intercessions of thine all-immaculate Mother and of all thy Saints. Amen.

O All-holy Lady Theotokos, light of my darkened soul, my hope, my shelter, my refuge, my consolation and my joy: I thank thee that thou hast accounted me worthy, although unworthy, to be a partaker of the immaculate Body and precious Blood of thy Son. But do thou, who gavest birth to the true Light, enlighten the mental eyes of my heart; O thou who didst bear the fountain of immortality, quicken thou me who lie dead in sin, O compassion-loving Mother of the merciful God, have mercy upon me, and grant me humility and contrition of heart, and meekness in my thoughts, and deliverance from the bondage of my vain imaginings. And account me worthy, even unto my last breath, to receive without condemnation the sanctification of the immaculate Mysteries, unto the healing of both soul and body. And grant unto me tears of repentance and confession, that I may hymn thee and glorify thee all the days of my life: for blessed and glorified art thou unto all ages. Amen.
The last prayer of preparation ("I believe O Lord and I confess...") is said communally by the faithful prior to communion. The post-communion prayers are read aloud on behalf of the faithful in the church after the end of liturgy, usually while the priest hands out the antidoron. And, obviously there's the entire liturgy that happens before and communion as well which has the Lord's prayer, the symbol of faith, pre- and post- communion hymns, as well as hymns sung during communion, and so on.

But no, we need to take the very last portion of the post communion prayers, said after liturgy, hold it up and say - "you need more focus on Jesus!" And this is why he can't be Orthodox? Meh.
swimmerbabe11
Please don't be frustrated with me, because I want to understand.
Quote:

O All-holy Lady Theotokos, light of my darkened soul, my hope, my shelter, my refuge, my consolation and my joy: I thank thee that thou hast accounted me worthy, although unworthy, to be a partaker of the immaculate Body and precious Blood of thy Son. But do thou, who gavest birth to the true Light, enlighten the mental eyes of my heart; O thou who didst bear the fountain of immortality, quicken thou me who lie dead in sin, O compassion-loving Mother of the merciful God, have mercy upon me, and grant me humility and contrition of heart, and meekness in my thoughts, and deliverance from the bondage of my vain imaginings. And account me worthy, even unto my last breath, to receive without condemnation the sanctification of the immaculate Mysteries, unto the healing of both soul and body. And grant unto me tears of repentance and confession, that I may hymn thee and glorify thee all the days of my life: for blessed and glorified art thou unto all ages. Amen.

The psalms tell us that God is our refuge, shelter. Our hope is in Christ..so all that once again, to me looks like mail headed to the wrong address, but I give love and praise to those whom I love and I wax poetic plenty, ok.

However, how is Mary in charge of "accounting you worthy" for communion? I really really really dont get that phrase.

The next part talking about her role as Theotokos is beautiful and brilliant. Great stuff.

But then the prayer asks her to grant you humility and meekness and to keep having mercy on you...and once again.. that's not in her job title, that's the work of Christ and I dont understand why she is granting these petitions. That's not something I would say to anyone but God.

Last part is fine, she is blessed and glorified. That's great. I could recite this If it were:

Quote:

O All-holy Lady Theotokos, light of my darkened soul, my hope, my shelter, my refuge, my consolation and my joy: Thou, who gavest birth to the true Light, enlighten the mental eyes of my heart; O thou who didst bear the fountain of immortality, quicken thou me who lie dead in sin, O compassion-loving Mother of the merciful God, may your son have mercy upon me, and grant me humility and contrition of heart, and meekness in my thoughts, and deliverance from the bondage of my vain imaginings. And account me worthy, even unto my last breath, to receive without condemnation the sanctification of the immaculate Mysteries, unto the healing of both soul and body. And Lord, grant unto me tears of repentance and confession, that I may hymn thee and glorify thee all the days of my life: for blessed and glorified art thou unto all ages. Amen.

Not huge changes..although I would still be a bit iffy on the shelter and hope and light bit because those are pretty specifically things we say about God.
Serotonin
AG
To provide additional context along those lines, a quick search gives the following results:

References in Divine Liturgy to...
God: 412
Theotokos: 13
Saints: 12
Cherubim: 12
Angels: 5
Apostles: 4
Seraphim: 4
swimmerbabe11
Re: the "really short intercessory prayer comment"

Seems to me that It's the difference between serenading someone and asking that person to sing along at karaoke.
Zobel
AG
I already answered that in the previous post. God is the fountain of all good things, the Spirit is the treasury of good things. Humans are theomorphic, everything good about humans represents something in God. There is only One who is holy (we confess this during liturgy - "one is holy, one is Lord, Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father...") but the saints are holy. There is one bishop, but we have bishops. One priest, but we are a nation of priests. One son, but we become sons. She is a shelter because she is with Christ in heaven - the same reason she is holy. By grace. She grants humility and helps us through prayers and intercessions and by the fact that if she does have power it is the power of God. This is different than the power of Christ Jesus who can and did do things in His own name and taught that He did things in the Father's name pedagogically.

How is a bishop or priest or deacon in charge of accounting us worthy to approach the chalice? Most Christians understand that this is a role, a duty, even a charisma they take on to serve the believers. But in this role they serve and image Christ. The most famous example I can think of the Theotokos not accounting someone worthy is in the story of St Mary of Egypt, who was prevented from entering a church by the Theotokos.
Zobel
AG
But you know the other thing? If you don't want to read that prayer, don't. It's not doctrinal. It's not part of the symbol of faith. It's not part of the catechetical lessons. It's not even part of the liturgy. If your conscience precludes you, don't partake, and when they read it cross your fingers or something. No one will judge or yell at you. Lord have mercy, all of us have things we don't Have the wisdom or humility to accept or understand.

The real issue that guy is presenting isn't a problem with that prayer. It's a problem with humility and submitting to the church. He didn't go to his priest and say - this prayer troubles my conscience what do I do? Or if he did, he didn't obey the answer, because I guarantee you they didn't tel him read it or gtfo. He wasn't put out of the church for this. He put understanding and his own comfort above the spirit of unity and mutual love and acceptance. This is the real problem. Troubled consciences or lack of understanding aren't condemned in the scripture but schismatic sure are.
swimmerbabe11
I stay silent now during the filioque at church. Not because I think it is wrong, but because it isnt original and there are enough arguments that I cant take a side because I dont understand and it seems safer to stay silent. One of my pastors knows this. He thinks it is somewhat silly, but also does not compel me to say it.

Weedon didn't flirt with the idea momentarily and walk away. He told his congregation that he was leaving. Marian piety wasnt his only hang up and he certainly didn't abandon the idea of Eastern Orthodoxy over it. He struggled with his faith and the Holy Spirit led him back to his flock. As snarky as that clip might sound, he has a whole lot of fondness for Eastern Orthodoxy..but he's convicted by the Lutheran doctrine. I've only met him once in person but I've listened to lots of his stuff..his enthusiasm for the liturgy is precious.
swimmerbabe11
k2aggie07 said:

I already answered that in the previous post. God is the fountain of all good things, the Spirit is the treasury of good things. Humans are theomorphic, everything good about humans represents something in God. There is only One who is holy (we confess this during liturgy - "one is holy, one is Lord, Jesus Christ, to the glory of God the Father...") but the saints are holy. There is one bishop, but we have bishops. One priest, but we are a nation of priests. One son, but we become sons. She is a shelter because she is with Christ in heaven - the same reason she is holy. By grace. She grants humility and helps us through prayers and intercessions and by the fact that if she does have power it is the power of God. This is different than the power of Christ Jesus who can and did do things in His own name and taught that He did things in the Father's name pedagogically.

How is a bishop or priest or deacon in charge of accounting us worthy to approach the chalice? Most Christians understand that this is a role, a duty, even a charisma they take on to serve the believers. But in this role they serve and image Christ. The most famous example I can think of the Theotokos not accounting someone worthy is in the story of St Mary of Egypt, who was prevented from entering a church by the Theotokos.

This makes my brain hurt.
Because Christ is the shelter, Mary is also sheltered. If she has power, it is Gods power.. so why take the long route around when we have the straight path to Christ? If there is a remote possibility that assigning his divinity to hers is wrong, we know Christ is right and efficacious..

Priests are at the communion rail for physical necessity. I've never heard of Mary addressed as a priestess.. in fact, we dont hear of her preaching and teaching after Christ's death. Her role was as His mother and that was miraculous and amazing and blessed and holy.. why add to it?.. I just...
I dont get it.

And hey, I admit there may be some of the "it's just weird" like ramblin said on the baptism thread.. but it totally confuses the heck out of me.
Zobel
AG
End of the day there was only one issue he had, and that was one of submission and authority. Makes one wonder what happens if he runs into an issue when he doesn't agree with something in Lutheran faith (although he felt confident enough to openly critique the Augsburg confession so the answer is probably he'd go with his convictions). Shrug.
Zobel
AG
Didn't say she was a priest. I said priests are priests by virtue of Christ's priesthood. He is the only priest, full stop. The only pastor, full stop. the only shepherd, the only bishop, the only shelter, the only rock. When we say someone is a pastor or priest we say that only as an extension of Christ's grace. Christians are a nation of priests by participation in Christ only, same for being holy or any other of the graces we are given.
Zobel
AG
That video is snarky as hell. "If the orthodox would read [St John C] as often as they venerated his icon they would come to some striking a-ha's" he says..

This guy knows better than everyone, he even knows St John better than *all of the Orthodox*. Again. Shrug.

It's funny because he reads the patristics and they dispel HIS misconceptions about Lutheran theology - patristic texts preserved and honored by the orthodox church - and then somehow turns that back around as if the teaching of the fathers is somehow scandalous to the orthodox?? It's silly. Nothing he read contradicts and soteriology of the orthodox church.
swimmerbabe11
k2aggie07 said:

Didn't say she was a priest. I said priests are priests by virtue of Christ's priesthood. He is the only priest, full stop. The only pastor, full stop. the only shepherd, the only bishop, the only shelter, the only rock. When we say someone is a pastor or priest we say that only as an extension of Christ's grace. Christians are a nation of priests by participation in Christ only, same for being holy or any other of the graces we are given.

The whole "worthy of communion" thing.. that's a responsibility of the pastors and priests, not.. her. We are a nation of priests, but you and I do not say the words of invocation and distribute because that is not our role in the church. I guess, i dont understand how she also has these other roles in addition to Theotokos, she did her job and it was blessed...why now is she an authority over communion ?
Zobel
AG
From the life of St Mary of Egypt, read every Lent the churches...

Quote:

I had at last squeezed through with great difficulty almost to the entrance of the temple, from which the lifegiving Tree of the Cross was being shown to the people. But when I trod on the doorstep which everyone passed, I was stopped by some force which prevented by entering. Meanwhile I was brushed aside by the crowd and found myself standing alone in the porch. Thinking that this had happened because of my woman's weakness, I again began to work my way into the crowd, trying to elbow myself forward. But in vain I struggled. Again my feet trod on the doorstep over which others were entering the church without encountering any obstacle. I alone seemed to remain unaccepted by the church. It was as if there was a detachment of soldiers standing there to oppose my entrance. Once again I was excluded by the same mighty force and again I stood in the porch. Having repeated my attempt three or four times, at last I felt exhausted and had no more strength to push and to be pushed, so I went aside and stood in a corner of the porch. And only then with great difficulty it began to dawn on me, and I began to understand the reason why I was prevented from being admitted to see the life-giving Cross. The word of salvation gently touched the eyes of my heart and revealed to me that it was my unclean life which barred the entrance to me. I began to weep and lament and beat my breast, and to sigh from the depths of my heart.

"And so I stood weeping when I saw above me the ikon of the most holy Mother of God. Not taking my eyes off her, I said, `O Lady, Mother of God, who gave birth in the flesh to God the Word, I know, O how well I know, that it is no honour or praise to thee when one so impure and depraved as I look up to thy icon, O ever-virgin, who didst keep thy body and soul in purity. Rightly do I inspire hatred and disgust before thy virginal purity. But I have heard that God Who was born of thee became man on purpose to call sinners to repentance. Then help me, for I have no other help. Order the entrance of the church to be opened to me. Allow me to see the venerable Tree on which He Who was born of thee suffered in the flesh and on which He shed His holy Blood for the redemption of sinners an for me, unworthy as I am. Be my faithful witness before thy son that I will never again defile my body by the impurity of fornication, but as soon as I have seen the Tree of the Cross I will renounce the world and its temptations and will go wherever thou wilt lead me.' Thus I spoke and as if acquiring some hope in firm faith and feeling some confidence in the mercy of the Mother of God, I left the place where I stood praying. And I went again and mingled with the crowd that was pushing its way into the temple. And no one seemed to thwart me, no one hindered my entering the church. I was possessed with trembling, and was almost in delirium.

"Having got as far as the doors which I could not reach before -- as if the same force which had hindered me cleared the way for me -- I now entered without difficulty and found myself within the holy place..."

For the same reason God gave authority to Gabriel to strike men mute. Same reason God gives authority to any of His creatures. For salvation and furthering His will.
jrico2727
AG
Quote:

This is a beautiful prayer to Our Lady. It reminds me of the Salve Regina we say after the rosary, we also sing it at certain masses. I can see that we share a veneration for her since she intercesedes for us to her son. We see her as the model of christian life. She said yes to bear the son God. Do you all see Mary as queen of heaven? Like Bathsheba was queen in the court of Solomon. I have always appreciated the eastren icons of the Blessed Virigin Mary.
Zobel
AG
Yes. Psalm 45 refers to Christ as witnessed in Hebrews 1:8, so 45:9 would refer to Mary as queen, the queen mother I suppose. But this is because of the kingship of her Son, not because she reigns. The Deesis image captures this relationship.

But as far as I know it's not a liturgical teaching, so I would put it in the category of personal belief or piety.
AgLiving06
k2aggie07 said:

That video is snarky as hell. "If the orthodox would read [St John C] as often as they venerated his icon they would come to some striking a-ha's" he says..

This guy knows better than everyone, he even knows St John better than *all of the Orthodox*. Again. Shrug.

It's funny because he reads the patristics and they dispel HIS misconceptions about Lutheran theology - patristic texts preserved and honored by the orthodox church - and then somehow turns that back around as if the teaching of the fathers is somehow scandalous to the orthodox?? It's silly. Nothing he read contradicts and soteriology of the orthodox church.

Your third paragraph is always the most interesting thing to me in all these discussions.

Discussions between Orthodox, Roman Catholics and Lutherans generally devolve into an argument over who follows the Patristic Father's best.

In this case, your essential claim is that Pr. Weedon (and from other threads, Jordan Cooper) don't actually understand what the Father's were saying, because if they had, they'd be Orthodox.

That's certainly a claim you could make, but all it does it put you on par with what you say you dislike about Pr Weedon.
Zobel
AG
No, I'm saying none of that portion of video talks about Orthodoxy. He says, he had this problem with the Augsburg confession, an Orthodox friend showed him some patristic quotes about how he was wrong. But then somehow the Orthodox should read St John as much as they reverence him and they'd learn something? No, that story tells you HE should read St John more. And maybe reverence him more too, for that matter.

The argument is NOT "who follows the fathers best". That is a very disingenuous framing because Lutherans don't make that claim. They do find support or license for their doctrine in the fathers, but they do not submit to them. They freely reject what they do not agree with based on an a priori understanding of scripture. In other words, when the fathers agree with Lutheran doctrine they are put forward; where they're not, they're rejected as wrong. That is a massive difference.

And, either way, it's not "who aligns with the fathers" it's "who holds to the faith passed down once for all." The fathers witness to that faith, they don't contain it or own it.
Serotonin
AG
With Thanksgiving coming up I'll use this analogy:

Imagine I show up to your Thanksgiving meal. It's a big event and dozens of members of the extended family are there. Grandma helps prepare the food, just as her mother taught her, just as her mother taught her...

Everyone is excited to celebrate the big meal.

But then I stroll into the kitchen and say:

"Um, sorry to interrupt, but I've been studying the culinary history of German-American families like yours and I have this excerpt here which shows they had only chicken when they arrived in America. Also, they would have had sauerkraut on the side, based on my readings of what that culture ate back then.

So you guys have your hearts in the right place, but you're just doing some things wrong. Nice try though."

How do you think Grandma is going to react?

///

The problem is that Jordan Cooper and Pr Weedon are doing the same thing with the Fathers.

The Eastern Churches (both Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox) are ecclesiastical and liturgical in nature. They contain the institutional knowledge of millennia of lived experience as the body of Christ from the Apostles, Martyrs, Saints down through the present day. You could spend the rest of your life reading and researching these lives and the life of the Church and not begin to scratch the surface. That is why you have to receive the Faith with humility.

And not only that, but the bigger thing for Orthodox Christians is to follow the lives of the Saints ithrough praxis in order to grow closer to God. Merely dipping into the Fathers (or Scripture) in an intellectual manner without that misses the whole point, doesn't it?
swimmerbabe11
We arent guests in town from Spain or something. We have the same ancestry. We come from the same family. We are siblings.
Serotonin
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

We arent guests in town from Spain or something. We have the same ancestry. We come from the same family. We are siblings.

So then what's the problem? Why have a separate thanksgiving meal and not eat with the family?

The original Lutherans decided they could not stay in communion with Rome or join communion with the East.

It's not like Bishop of Constantinople said in 1200 or 800 or 400 that he didn't like the Augsburg confession so the Eastern Churches had to go their own way. The Lutherans looked at RC and EO theology and found both lacking significantly enough that they couldn't be in communion with either. Right?
AgLiving06
k2aggie07 said:

The argument is NOT "who follows the fathers best". That is a very disingenuous framing because Lutherans don't make that claim. They do find support or license for their doctrine in the fathers, but they do not submit to them. They freely reject what they do not agree with based on an a priori understanding of scripture. In other words, when the fathers agree with Lutheran doctrine they are put forward; where they're not, they're rejected as wrong. That is a massive difference.

And, either way, it's not "who aligns with the fathers" it's "who holds to the faith passed down once for all." The fathers witness to that faith, they don't contain it or own it.

No, this is not correct. If you want others to have the right view of Orthodoxy, you also should try to make sure you are taking the right view of other groups. Anything less would be disingenuous, wouldn't you say?

Early you mentioned the councils and brought up the concept of "in so far as" or really quatenus.

Lutherans (true Lutherans, not ELCA) hold a quia subscription towards the Confessions. That means we believe them because they are found in Scripture. So when Pr Weedon talked about being troubled with the Confessions, he quite literally saying he could no longer hold to the belief that the Confessions are Scriptural. At that point, he did need to pursue what he felt was the right Christianity.

So when we turn to the Fathers, we do not say (and would not say) that the Father's have to agree/disagree with the Confessions at all. That's not the standard nor will it ever be when talking to a Lutheran.

The standard is, and will always be Scriptures.

So in all things, Lutherans judge everything against the Scriptures.

AgLiving06
I'm sorry, but while it's attempting to be an analogy, it really just slated to claim something that favors your view on the Orthodox vs what reality ever was.

Ironically, its probably a better example for Rome and the Reformers and you make Grandma the Pope. You'd of course want to add in that Grandma was lying and trying to skim money off the relatives the whole time

///

Quote:

The Eastern Churches (both Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox) are ecclesiastical and liturgical in nature. They contain the institutional knowledge of millennia of lived experience as the body of Christ from the Apostles, Martyrs, Saints down through the present day. You could spend the rest of your life reading and researching these lives and the life of the Church and not begin to scratch the surface. That is why you have to receive the Faith with humility.

This is just an odd comment. Are you suggesting that this is entirely unique to the Orthodox? If you do think that, I think you missed the bigger picture of the videos.
Serotonin
AG
Maybe I missed the bigger picture of the videos; what was it?
Zobel
AG
That is the functionally exact same thing I said above. That's the a priori view of scripture. You just assume that view is "scripture" when in reality it's an interpretation of scripture. Every Christian faith claims they're in accordance with scripture - it's not the scripture where the disagreement is, it's the view.

So when Lutherans cite the fathers they do it to bolster their claims and to say they don't innovate. When they disagree they say it's because scripture.

This then begs the question - why invoke the fathers at all? Why do you need them? They're just a tool of convenience.
AgLiving06
No it's not functionally what you said and that's the general problem with your view.

But if it's your view that Orthodoxy is just an interpretation of Christianity and nothing more than, that's certainly a view you could take.

Clearly Pr Weedon holds Lutheranism to be more than that though.

///

Why do Lutherans invoke the Fathers? Again, Pr Weedon was pretty clear on this, so much so that the host commented on it. We go to lengths to say we aren't innovating and that is important (as the Orthodox would agree with).

But our focus is not just simply on following tradition. That's what led Rome away. So tradition is always measured against the Scriptures. The means some writings pass, some don't.
AgLiving06
Gator03 said:

Do you think what you said would be materially different if you inserted Lutheranism in for Orthodox?
Serotonin
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Gator03 said:

Do you think what you said would be materially different if you inserted Lutheranism in for Orthodox?
Yes I do; isn't that the point of celebrating 1517 and the Reformation?
Quote:

Luther's study of Scripture soon led him to oppose the church of Rome on issues including the primacy of the Bible over church tradition and the means by which we are found righteous in the sight of God.

This last issue is probably Luther's most significant contribution to Christian theology.
https://www.ligonier.org/blog/what-reformation-day-all-about/

Luther and his movement created a radical break from the past with a radical new heuristic.

///

Let me approach it in a different way:
Lutheranism and Orthodoxy differ on a number of issues, and you are asserting that each just represents a different interpretation or tradition dating from the early church.

But is that really the case?

Think about the major points of theological disagreement:
  • With the largest Lutheran confessions in the US and Europe: Gay marriage and women priests
  • With LCMS: Bishops
  • With all Lutherans (and historically the big issues): Monasticism, veneration of Mary and the Saints, the importance of ascetical works in spiritual development, miracle working relics. And probably others I can't think of right now

My point is that if you went back to Germany at any point between the introduction of Christianity and the Reformation it looks a lot more like Orthodoxy on those points that Lutheranism. Lutheranism is not an organic continuation of what was passed down (like Orthodoxy), it is the creation of a new church body based on the study and interpretation of Scripture.

Is that not the case?
Zobel
AG
Quote:

No it's not functionally what you said and that's the general problem with your view.

But if it's your view that Orthodoxy is just an interpretation of Christianity and nothing more than, that's certainly a view you could take.

Your answer is basically "nuh uh!"

I don't understand the second paragraph. I didn't say Lutheranism was an interpretation of Christianity - that would actually be a better approach, I think. It's a religion based on an certain interpretation of the traditional scriptures of Christianity. How anyone could argue with that I'm sure I don't know, because it seems to be the foundational premise of sola scriptura. The only argument is whether that certain interpretation is the right one or not. This is not the approach of the Orthodox. Our faith is not from the scriptures. Our faith produced the scriptures.

But, let's look at what you said.

Quote:

Lutherans (true Lutherans, not ELCA) hold a quia subscription towards the Confessions. That means we believe them because they are found in Scripture.

Ok. An a priori assumption is one "from before". It also means based on reason or logical presupposition. Before you pick up the scriptures, you have an a priori assumption or interpretation: we will subject everything to the scriptures.

"Because they are found in scripture" as the only / ultimate foundation of belief is an a priori assumption and it causes you to interpret the scripture a certain way. It is also a very different basis than the Church was founded on, particularly as we focus on the NT scriptures.

It is also the same a priori assumption the church of Christ makes, and the Baptists as well. They just add an additional step of "starting from scratch" where as the Lutherans attempted to sift through tradition. But it's the same assumption. (So why the disparate outcomes?)

At any rate I see no difference between what I said and what you're saying.

////

Do you really think that the Orthodox don't expect and believe that the fathers taught the faith in accordance with the scriptures? You don't see that when Lutherans say "this is not in accordance with the scripture" that is actually an application of Lutheran interpretation of scripture? It's easy enough for me to say "yes it is." What now?

And didn't I say the exact same thing, that Lutherans put forward the fathers to show they don't innovate? But when they disagree (as you say with scripture), they also reject them? Where's the disagreement?

///

Here's a fun exercise for you. If scripture - not tradition - is the only test, why do Lutherans to this day use the filioque? The scripture is very clear - the Holy Spirit proceeds from the the Father, and is sent by the Son (John 15:26). Nowhere in scripture does it say the Spirit proceeds from the Son.
jrico2727
AG
Right before the ascension Jesus breathed on the apostles and told them to recieve the Holy Spirit. Did the Holy Spirit not proceed through him there?
AgLiving06
Quote:

https://www.ligonier.org/blog/what-reformation-day-all-about/

Luther and his movement created a radical break from the past with a radical new heuristic.

So your proof of this is quoting a random website started by R.C Sprouls of the Presbyterian Church of America? That seems like an odd source to reference...

Quote:

Let me approach it in a different way:
Lutheranism and Orthodoxy differ on a number of issues, and you are asserting that each just represents a different interpretation or tradition dating from the early church.

But is that really the case?

Think about the major points of theological disagreement:
  • With the largest Lutheran confessions in the US and Europe: Gay marriage and women priests
  • With LCMS: Bishops
  • With all Lutherans (and historically the big issues): Monasticism, veneration of Mary and the Saints, the importance of ascetical works in spiritual development, miracle working relics. And probably others I can't think of right now

This is an odd way to prove something. By this method, you'd be in significant disagreement even with the Roman Church on what history looks like.

But even then, you're trying to draw lines where they don't need to exist just to try and separate yourself. It's doubly odd when you consider that most of these divisions started to exist when Christianity would have been considered "one Church."

Points of disagreement have existed since the beginning. It's actually more of a fairy tale that there was one single method of this or that.
Zobel
AG
Temporal sending vs eternal procession. Just like in John 15:26, the Son sends the Spirit into the world, but the Spirit Proceeds from the Father. The Son sends, the Spirit proceeds from the Father. It's two different words, with different meanings. It is also a patristic norm to say from the Father through the Son. But not proceeds from the Son.

"Proceeds from the Father" is a direct quotation of scripture. The scripture never says the Spirit "proceeds from the Son" or "from the Father and the Son" or "as from one source".

Here's a post I wrote a while back on this topic.
https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2818901
AgLiving06
Quote:

Your answer is basically "nuh uh!"

Yes. In a polite way.

Quote:

I don't understand the second paragraph. I didn't say Lutheranism was an interpretation of Christianity - that would actually be a better approach, I think. It's a religion based on an certain interpretation of the traditional scriptures of Christianity. How anyone could argue with that I'm sure I don't know, because it seems to be the foundational premise of sola scriptura. The only argument is whether that certain interpretation is the right one or not. This is not the approach of the Orthodox. Our faith is not from the scriptures. Our faith produced the scriptures.

Correct. You dismiss Lutheranism in a disingenuous way. That's kind of the point.

The rest is just you continuing with this.

Lutheran doesn't claim to be just an interpretation. It claims far much more than that. The Augsburg Confession was truly presented as the right and proper Confession of the entire Christian Church. You're the only one making a claim that is incorrect and not held by Lutherans.

Quote:

Do you really think that the Orthodox don't expect and believe that the fathers taught the faith in accordance with the scriptures? You don't see that when Lutherans say "this is not in accordance with the scripture" that is actually an application of Lutheran interpretation of scripture? It's easy enough for me to say "yes it is." What now?

No where in what I wrote did I make this claim. So I'll not respond to your own setup question and answer.

Quote:

And didn't I say the exact same thing, that Lutherans put forward the fathers to show they don't innovate? But when they disagree (as you say with scripture), they also reject them? Where's the disagreement?

And this is done by the Orthodox and Rome. You'll simply claim that it was not the "consensus of faith" (though I may have the wording incorrect on what you call it). The Orthodox also dismiss what they think goes against their Tradition. We just make it clear that it's only Scripture that dictates right/wrong.

Quote:

Here's a fun exercise for you. If scripture - not tradition - is the only test, why do Lutherans to this day use the filioque? The scripture is very clear - the Holy Spirit proceeds from the the Father, and is sent by the Son (John 15:26). Nowhere in scripture does it say the Spirit proceeds from the Son.

It's not really a fun or interesting exercise honestly. Maybe for Roman Catholics it would be, but for Lutheran's, not really.

There's really two answers:

1. With the right context the filioque is correct. Even the Orthodox agree with that (Fr Damick has talked about this in his Orthodox and Heterodoxy series). Truly the Holy Spirit does proceeds from the Father and Son.

2. The argument between Rome and the Orthodox was more about authority than about the wording and that's not something the Lutherans are concerned about. We've made it clear where we stand on the Pope's authority.

So you won't find any major heartache within Lutheran's either way over this topic.
Zobel
AG
Even a polite nuh uh is more or less the end of a discussion. It's the absence of communication. Even here you haven't actually said what you think, only that I'm wrong and disingenuous. If you think there is an error or misunderstanding, point it out. Else there's no benefit to talking.

Quote:

Lutheran doesn't claim to be just an interpretation. It claims far much more than that. The Augsburg Confession was truly presented as the right and proper Confession of the entire Christian Church. You're the only one making a claim that is incorrect and not held by Lutherans.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Lutheranism is based on a specific set of confessions predicated on two things: the traditional scriptures, and a view of how those scriptures should be used (ie, as ultimately authoritative). The confessions are formalized expressions of the interpretations, they are outputs or results of the the two starting points. Do you disagree with this?

It's not dissimilar to say that Orthodoxy is formally defined by doctrines that express a specific tradition, which produced, preserved, and interprets the scriptures. You can't say the faith is predicated on the scriptures because it existed before the scriptures. Lutheranism did not and simply can't exist before the scriptures. If you disagree with Orthodoxy you can do so on a doctrinal basis (ie with the interpretation, conciliar decrees, canons) or the traditional basis (ie scriptural selection, patristic writings, and praxis). But they're intertwined so one calls into question the other. You can easily disagree with doctrinal Lutheranism without implicitly questioning the scriptures OR the fathers. You can't do that with Orthodoxy.

/////

You said you didn't make the claim that the fathers didn't write in accordance with the scriptures. Ok, maybe you didn't. But you said IF you reject them, you would reject them on that basis. There are only two options then: accept the fathers as authoritative or reject them on the basis of scripture. And we know that Lutheranism has issues with certain patristic texts and applications. We come back to the same spot: we accept them as both authoritative and based on scripture. How do you fix this?

////

Filioque answer is a non answer. I guarantee you Fr Stephen doesn't recite the filioque, so why appeal to his authority?

And the issue is NOT about authority, the issue is theological. The cusp or breaking point was the authority used to force the change. But the theological issue existed for centuries before the schism when the Roman Pontiffs were still using the traditional formula. This is historical fact.

You didn't answer. If it's about scripture, and we also look to the fathers to check against innovation, why use the filioque which is non-scriptural AND non-patristic?

There was and is major heartache. Part of the reason Lutherans were not accepted by Orthodoxy after the Reformation was the filioque. They did not accept the traditional formulation. There can be no unification while this persists, even if this is the only issue.
swimmerbabe11
I haven't actually caught up on today's post.. but the Thanksgiving post has been in my head all day/night.

It is the whole problem with discussing patristic theology. The Eastern Orthodox think we randomly showed up at their meal and challenge their fathers.

They are the Church Fathers. They are our fathers too. If you can't share a meal and recognize that we are all brothers and sisters in Christendom and share the same heritage, then there is no use even discussing, because you will always treat us as aliens.
Zobel
AG
Out of communion for four centuries and still proclaiming the same heresy that caused the schism in the first place, compounded with additional teachings that also contradict the faith. If Lutherans want to be in communion at the thanksgiving dinner the filioque is the first and perhaps only barrier. And yet...?

What father taught it? What scripture teaches it? And yet...? Why side with the ultra-montanists?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.