Flat earth

34,719 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
SoulSlaveAG2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rare moment occurred where all were asleep in the home but me... so I cracked open a lone star to celebrate Texas Independence Day and decided to peruse Netflix and found this.. Behind the curve.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8132700/

What. a. rabbit hole. Of Awesome.
AgLiving06
There's no way these people are serious right?
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
I think they are serious. It's really an intriguing documentary.

Showed my wife this morning and her casual observation is they seem to all own cats, are anti-vaxxers, anti GMO. They run the spectrum of conspiracies.
schmendeler
AG
The people in this movie are prisoners of their own ideology. They were all outcasts before this. Now they have a group they are part of and can feel superior about. Even when faced with conclusive evidence they can't accept it because it would mean throwing away their entire network of friends and view of self.
PacifistAg
AG
Fascinating program. I think schmendeler is spot on. Their reaction to their own experiments that only debunked their views was telling. I feel bad for them.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
PacifistAg said:

Fascinating program. I think schmendeler is spot on. Their reaction to their own experiments that only debunked their views was telling. I feel bad for them.

It's really amazing their reaction to their own experimens coming back and not supporting their theory. You can see the doubt and the astonishment in their reaction but then they talk themselves around it.

My favorite part is when they go to NASA and he keeps hitting the screen to start the simulation. He then makes fun of NASA, and uses this "broken game" as proof that nasa is a hoax and joke... camera pans away and shows the big green button with "START" above it... really symbolizes his lack of perception about the theory. They are so focused on "their truth" thing they miss the truth.
schmendeler
AG
Plus the main guy's painful friend zoning with the red head. So cringey.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
schmendeler said:

Plus the main guy's painful friend zoning with the red head. So cringey.

Ya. It definitely made for some awkward moments...
Aggrad08
AG
They are the extreme end of conspiracy theorist but are only a more refined version of a phenomena we see on this very board with YECs and evolution deniers. It's always a bit striking to see it in action.
schmendeler
AG
Well...I wasn't going to say it.
AgLiving06
Kind of off tangent, but I do love a good conspiracy theory.

There's a podcast I like called the Counsel of Trent Podcast, and he does a "free for all Friday" and this Friday was on crazy conspiracies. He touched on "green lizard people, the moon is a hologram and the one world government" conspiracies.

There's also another podcast called "Jimmy Akin's Mysterious World" where he goes through different crazy events. Not all conspiracies, but he does a real good job of explaining what happened and if there is controversy.

Both are from a Christian/Catholic perspective, but I'm not a Catholic, but Jimmy's podcast in particular is really well done.
chimpanzee
schmendeler said:

The people in this movie are prisoners of their own ideology. They were all outcasts before this. Now they have a group they are part of and can feel superior about. Even when faced with conclusive evidence they can't accept it because it would mean throwing away their entire network of friends and view of self.
As long as they don't go spreading diseases that were eradicated in the developed world decades back, it's all fun and games.

But people go down some serious rabbit holes of pathology when they think that they know something special and exclusive. It's almost amusing when they fit the bill and do not have the characteristics of a cult.
Martin Q. Blank
Aggrad08 said:

They are the extreme end of conspiracy theorist but are only a more refined version of a phenomena we see on this very board with YECs and evolution deniers. It's always a bit striking to see it in action.
Ironically, this is where the theory of "flat earth" began...to mock "evolution deniers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_flat_Earth
Texaggie7nine
Aggrad08 said:

Yep.

People's deep held beliefs rest far more on emotional connection than intellectual reasoning.
7nine
Ciboag96
Evolutionists and astrophysicists are some of the most Faith-based people I know, though not a religious faith mind you.
Texaggie7nine
There are theories that some scientists can over commit to and their emotional attachment to the ideas drive their beliefs sure. But science offers far more factual, reason based evidence to back up what it says. Evolution even being a question anymore is silly. Theories that are drawn from it can get very shakey but the foundation is solid.
7nine
Cynic
This thread sure was predictable.
schmendeler
AG
Those people that rely on evidence and deduction are so faith based! Just like those people that don't require either!
Martin Q. Blank
Carbon dating requires faith beyond what we can verify.
The age of sediment layers requires faith beyond what we can verify.
The extent of evolution and common ancestry requires faith beyond what we can verify.

Some people take their assumptions and try to make them evidence. At that point, the stories in the Bible are evidence.
schmendeler
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

The extent of evolution and common ancestry requires faith beyond what we can verify.

Some people take their assumptions and try to make them evidence. At that point, the stories in the Bible are evidence.
in your opinion, what is the extent of what we can verify?
Martin Q. Blank
schmendeler said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

in your opinion, what is the extent of what we can verify?
When it comes to dating, I'd say at least written history. If carbon dating says an object is 1500 years old, but historical texts show it have been made for King Richard, what are we to believe?
Quad Dog
AG
That the components that the object are made out of are 1500 years old. Or someone took an older object and remade it.
Aggrad08
AG
To call the induction "faith" and use it as an equivalent to blind religious devotion is laughable and no more sophisticated an excuse for being wrong than provided by the flat earthers.

The assumption that the laws of the universe aren't changing about in the past is in no way equivalent to religious faith. And due to the great distances of the universe and speed of light we can observe that the laws of the universe in the ancient past behave the same.

Texaggie7nine
One thing that really got me away from calling science a religion as I did back in my believing days was honestly putting myself in a point of view where I imagined the Bible having never existed. I imagined that if I were to accept the scientific ideas that I was staunchly opposed to such as carbon dating, evolution, lack of any evidence of a global flood, ect, that it would cost me nothing. That there were no negative emotional affects if I were to find these ideas to be true.

It then made it quite clear that there was no reason to call these scientific findings something that required religious faith. It then made it clear that these were obviously overwhelmingly likely to be the most accurate answers.

The only thing that held me back was my emotional desires.
7nine
Martin Q. Blank
Quad Dog said:

That the components that the object are made out of are 1500 years old. Or someone took an older object and remade it.
You can only say that because we have a written history of the object. What if we don't?
Quad Dog
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quad Dog said:

You can only say that because we have a written history of the object. What if we don't?
I spent way too long trying to understand that question. I gave two examples (I could give a third that humans are unreliable narrators) of how written history can be unreliable and you ask me what I would do if I don't have written history. The answer would obviously be Carbon dating or other evidence. Such as: What kind of tool marks are on the object, at what point did humans use those tools? When did humans have the technology to make this thing? When was this thing popular? Was it made out of expensive items or techniques and therefore only for the rich? Was it found in an area or a layer with other object that we do know the date of?
An archeologist would use Carbon Dating, written history, and much more evidence to find the date of something. If Carbon Dating disagreed with all the other evidence then there may be reasonable reasons like I have listed previously. If Carbon Dating constantly disagreed with all of the other evidence, then they would stop using it and the scientific community would have a larger problem. I'm not aware of Carbon Dating constantly being different, are you?
Martin Q. Blank
Quad Dog said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quad Dog said:

I spent way too long trying to understand that question. I gave two examples (I could give a third that humans are unreliable narrators) of how written history can be unreliable and you ask me what I would do if I don't have written history. The answer would obviously be Carbon dating or other evidence. Such as: What kind of tool marks are on the object, at what point did humans use those tools? When did humans have the technology to make this thing? When was this thing popular? Was it made out of expensive items or techniques and therefore only for the rich? Was it found in an area or a layer with other object that we do know the date of?
An archeologist would use Carbon Dating, written history, and much more evidence to find the date of something. If Carbon Dating disagreed with all the other evidence then there may be reasonable reasons like I have listed previously. If Carbon Dating constantly disagreed with all of the other evidence, then they would stop using it and the scientific community would have a larger problem. I'm not aware of Carbon Dating constantly being different, are you?
First, yes it can error.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating#Errors_and_reliability

Second, how do you arrive at the dates of your other markers and evidences?
Quad Dog
AG
Thanks for the link. I personally find the date ranges within 80 years and within one standard deviation to be pretty impressive, better than I thought it would be, and probably good enough for most applications.

Same answer for the other markers and evidence.
Texaggie7nine
No one disputes that there is a window of possible error. But when one tries to use that fact to defend an idea that something that shows to be 20k years old really is less than 2k old because "the world is only 2k years old" then they are not understanding the margin of error.
7nine
Martin Q. Blank
Texaggie7nine said:

No one disputes that there is a window of possible error. But when one tries to use that fact to defend an idea that something that shows to be 20k years old really is less than 2k old because "the world is only 2k years old" then they are not understanding the margin of error.
How do you know something is 20k years old? You'd be assuming some sort of process is accurate. And it's accurate because this other assumption we made is true, so it must be. And they verify each other.
Quad Dog
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Texaggie7nine said:

How do you know something is 20k years old? You'd be assuming some sort of process is accurate. And it's accurate because this other assumption we made is true, so it must be. And they verify each other.
And your alternative is to assume that written evidence and whatever else you consider valid to be correct.

We don't assume the process to be accurate. We've proven it accurate countless times across the Earth. Experiments have been done to prove those processes accurate. Other evidence has been found to prove the process accurate. Hypothesis and predictions have been made based on those processes, and have been experimentally tested years after the hypothesis were made. Older hypothesis based on the process have been refined or proven wrong as technology and understanding change.
I think your reply will still be something along the lines of "it still all starts with an assumption about something humans didn't observe." At which point we are back to the beginning and have nothing left to discuss.
Zobel
AG
All knowledge is the same. It differs only in usefulness. Usefulness can judged by its predictive or explanative ability. Since the whole world is experienced through our own cognitive models, everything we know underexplains and underrepresents reality. The question of "well how do you know that's true" in a technical sense is useless. We have no experiential truth criterion other than predictive utility, and we know by inspection that predictive utility can lead to models that are hopelessly flawed but still quite useful.

The model of solid objects (they're not) is not different than the model of carbon dating in kind. Only in usefulness.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

And your alternative is to assume that written evidence and whatever else you consider valid to be correct.
I said that's about the extent that we could verify dating. Anything past that is pure faith in our models and in the realm of story telling.
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

All knowledge is the same. It differs only in usefulness. Usefulness can judged by its predictive or explanative ability. Since the whole world is experienced through our own cognitive models, everything we know underexplains and underrepresents reality. The question of "well how do you know that's true" in a technical sense is useless. We have no experiential truth criterion other than predictive utility, and we know by inspection that predictive utility can lead to models that are hopelessly flawed but still quite useful.

The model of solid objects (they're not) is not different than the model of carbon dating in kind. Only in usefulness.
I agree.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.