The death penalty

3,664 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Frok
DaBaba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Marco Esquandolas said:

I mean you sort of have to give the RCC props for trying to be consistent about being "pro-life" in a way that many Protestants just aren't interested in being.

This. Props to the RCC.

I just don't trust incompetent govt bureaucrats and self interested prosecutors elected for appearing tough on crime to get it right. You can't right a wrong death sentence. You'd have to be super obama or super Bernie to put that much faith in govt.
jkag89
AstroAg17 said:

It's strange to me that you're using a different argument than the church. If guilt could be determined perfectly, would you then support the death penalty? There are many crimes where guilt can clearly be determined. Your argument doesn't address these.

The church's position is that the death penalty is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of a person, not that the government can't be trusted.
The argument is not why I am personally against the death penalty, I only presented it because Martin Q Blank stated -
Quote:

I do not support putting to death the innocent. Fully consistent with my view about putting to death the innocent.
when Marco Esquandolas stated his views on abortion and capital punishment were inconsistent.
Aggrad08
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Some nice company we have here. But I'm sure our white American protestants know better than the rest of the free world.

Southern white protestants have been dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming. It's an almost diliberately backward and antipathetic group. I can hardly think of a major social advancement in the last 200 years where this group wasn't the backbone of the opposition.

The catholic church is right on this morally and consistently pro life.
Woody2006
AG
I feel like if I drew a Venn diagram showing the intersection of people who don't trust the government in damn near any other capacity but fully support the government exacting vengeance on criminals, the vast majority of those in the middle would be white evangelicals.
RAB91
While I am against the death penalty for this country, I think the pope was wrong in making this change. While most do, not every country has the resources we have in regards to locking up criminals and keeping the population safe from them.

If you live in a s#%$hole country in Africa who can't keep their population safe, than I think that is a valid case for the death penalty.

But IMO this pope is a naive leader who is doing great damage to this church, and this is just another example of that.
Star Wars Memes Only
I really don't understand the parallels both sides draw between the death penalty and abortion.

The pro-life-pro-death-penalty side considers abortion wrong not just because it's the taking of a life, but the taking of an innocent life. They have no problem about taking a life that's not innocent, and they're pretty up front about this. The pro-choice side ignores this, and accuses them of being inconsistent because in both cases a life is taken, totally ignoring the issue of innocence.

On the other hand, the anti death-penalty pro-choice side does not consider the fetus to be a life on the same degree as a birthed human being. The other side claims that in both cases a life is taken, and what's worse is that their opponents are arguing for the value of a guilty life while ignoring the value of an innocent life. They go on to claim that the pro-choice-anti-death-penalty is inconsistent, totally ignoring what the pro-choice side is arguing. You don't have to agree with the distinction between a fetus and a birthed human to acknowledge that there's nothing inconsistent in being pro-choice and anti death-penalty for those that do make that distinction.

Both sides seem to be talking past each other. And (though not usually true on any issue on this forum) both sides seem more interested in rabble-rousing than constructive dialogue.
Star Wars Memes Only
Athanasius said:

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."
- Gandalf the Grey
Marco Esquandolas
AG
AstroAg17 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

AstroAg17 said:

Do you approve of keeping innocent people in jail until they die? Of course you don't. Nobody does. But we accept that it might happen because we aren't willing to let the more heinous criminals leave prison.

Ending someone's life is hugely qualitatively different from that. It precludes even the possibility of the error being corrected, which life in prison at least allows.
I hope you agree that in many cases, the error is not corrected. Innocent people die in prison, which is an unfortunate side effect of imprisoning people.

I still think that by your logic, you approve of innocents dying in prison.

The fact that the decision can be reversed is irrelevant when we know that many times, it isn't.

You said:
Quote:

On Earth it is impossible to support the death penalty without implicitly approving of murdering the innocent because it is literally impossible to enforce it "perfectly"

This clearly applies to any consequence of any action. Taking the action implies approval of the consequence to you.

I am personally opposed to life sentences without possibility of parole, if that makes a difference. My personal opposition to the death penalty is not just based on the inevitability of error but other legs of the stool as well. The Catholic argument from individual worth and dignity as a child of God is good enough on its own though.
Aggrad08
AG
I would agree if we had a system where you needed 100% proof of guilt for the death penalty. Look How many people have been released from death row. Killing the innocent is a virtual guarantee. And unlike the virtual gaurantee of inprisonment of the innocent, it cannot be rectified.

Beer Baron
AG
Aggrad08 said:

I would agree if we had a system where you needed 100% proof of guilt for the death penalty. Look How many people have been released from death row. Killing the innocent is a virtual guarantee. And unlike the virtual gaurantee of inprisonment of the innocent, it cannot be rectified.

This is my issue with it. I'm fine with the death penalty in very clear-cut cases, but it's just applied too willy-nilly and I don't know how you go about defining "very clear-cut case" in statute. It's way too much of an "I'll know it when I see it" type thing. Mental capacity defenses aside, I think the easiest cases for me are those of your typical spree shooter. Lots of people (usually) saw them, there's plenty of evidence of their preparation, and if they live through it themselves they'll typically gleefully tell you all about it.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

I really don't understand the parallels both sides draw between the death penalty and abortion.
It's an unfair tool both sides of both issues use to score a cheap "gotcha" against the other. Either position on either issue has valid arguments for and against it that are totally independent of those that apply to the other issue.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I don't know how you go about defining "very clear-cut case" in statute.
"beyond a reasonable doubt."
Beer Baron
AG
That's the best we have, but IMO it's not good enough to justify the government killing someone. I think the examples of people being cleared while on death row shows "beyond a reasonable doubt" alone doesn't work.

Also, anyone who's ever witnessed a jury voir dire or spoken with jurors after a trial knows that many people simply lack the ability to grasp what our civil/criminal burdens of proof require.
Star Wars Memes Only
Aggrad08 said:

I still think the distinction stands. From the pro-life perspective the purpose of an abortion is to end an innocent life, whereas the purpose of the death penalty is to end a guilty life. Though innocents may also die from a poor implementation of the death penalty, I think the difference in purpose is sufficient to draw a moral distinction.
Aggrad08
AG
The distinction stands in an academic sense. But the second you actually support a public policy you have to address the issue brought above.
Star Wars Memes Only
The attempted parallel between abortion and capital punishment is by and large academic. I don't think anyone disagrees that executing an innocent is heinous.
Aggrad08
AG
I think many people argue it's an acceptable consequence. In fact i think you must argue that to actually favor the policy in a practical sense.
Star Wars Memes Only
Yes, either how someone is senenced to die needs to be rehauled, or you have to argue that execuing innocents is an acceptable cost for whatever its benefits are, or you're in denial. However, I don't see a contradiction between thinking it heinous to execute an innocent person and thinking it's an acceptable cost.
Aggrad08
AG
Agreed it's not logically contradictory, but it's much easier for someone to say you are not as 'pro life' by considering this an acceptable cost.
Star Wars Memes Only
It's equivocation in my opinion, but sure, it makes a good sound-bite.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

While I am against the death penalty for this country, I think the pope was wrong in making this change. While most do, not every country has the resources we have in regards to locking up criminals and keeping the population safe from them.

If you live in a s#%$hole country in Africa who can't keep their population safe, than I think that is a valid case for the death penalty.
This is where I am. I don't trust any government to justly and impartially deal out punishment in every case, so better to make a somewhat reversible mistake (though I wouldn't call 30 years of false imprisonment reversible or reparable). It also rankles me as Christian, as even the most depraved sociopath has a chance for redemption as long as they are alive. Killing them not only deprives them of life but also the potential for salvation.

OTOH, prison is resource intensive. You're feeding, clothing, and sheltering someone who has no benefit to society at all, while spending tremendous effort to keep them from escaping or hurting guards or other inmates. This is doable in a prosperous society like ours.

But I could imagine a substistence level society killing dangerous criminals instead of spending the community's precious and limited food and strength imprisoning them, and it's hard for me to criticize that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggrad08
AG
dargscisyhp said:

I don't think it is in particular in that pro choice and pro life are terms that are used as sound bites not as rigorous distinctions. I'd say pro choice people deny personhood and saying they are anti life is equivocation also.

It's fair enough to say they hold innocent life less dearly than others with regards to this issue.
7thGenTexan
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Some nice company we have here. But I'm sure our white American protestants know better than the rest of the free world.

Southern white protestants have been dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming. It's an almost diliberately backward and antipathetic group. I can hardly think of a major social advancement in the last 200 years where this group wasn't the backbone of the opposition.

The catholic church is right on this morally and consistently pro life.

Whereas Arab atheists have brought nothing but progress to the world.

We WASPs are forever indebted and stand in awe. Please guide us.
Aggrad08
AG
Ah the ever sophisticated don't criticize what's obviously wanting because you belong to a peculiar and small demographic defense. How thoughtful. But don't worry, southern protestants continue to be dragged along kicking and screaming.
7thGenTexan
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Ah the ever sophisticated don't criticize what's obviously wanting because you belong to a peculiar and small demographic defense. How thoughtful. But don't worry, southern protestants continue to be dragged along kicking and screaming.

I notice your Arabic family decided to move to a culture established by Southern WASPs and that you graduated from an institution established by Southern WASPs, but please continue your rather rude invective.
Aggrad08
AG
Ah the even more sophisticated don't criticize what's obviously wanting because you live here and because they aren't awful in every single way defenses. There are many things southern white protestants are historically good at, this isn't one of them.
Sapper Redux
7thGenTexan said:

Aggrad08 said:

I notice your Arabic family decided to move to a culture established by Southern WASPs and that you graduated from an institution established by Southern WASPs, but please continue your rather rude invective.

You should stop while you're behind. And don't ever criticize someone's manners. My phone may explode from the hypocrisy.
Star Wars Memes Only
Aggrad08 said:

dargscisyhp said:

I don't think it is in particular in that pro choice and pro life are terms that are used as sound bites not as rigorous distinctions. I'd say pro choice people deny personhood and saying they are anti life is equivocation also.

Pro-life and pro-choice are monikers for two rigorously distinct, if not rigorously defined, ideologies relating to abortion. Reappropriating the terms in another context while simultaneously using them in their intended context is kind of textbook equivocation, and comes from confusing connotation with denotation.

Denying the personhood of the fetus is almost unanimously the initial position of those that identify as pro-choice. At best you can say it's not true of all pro-choice folks, but it's not a straw-man because it is the position of so many, and I'm having a hard time seeing how you see it as equivocal.
Star Wars Memes Only
7thGenTexan said:

Aggrad08 said:

While I don't agree with the general tone of this, I think there is a legitimate point to be made here. We can **** on WASPs for being regressive and behind the times regarding social advancement, and I think there are legitimate criticisms to be made there; however, they have also been instrumental in establishing and protecting the culture and many of the norms and mores of the South and this country in general. Many of those we all revel in without ever really thinking about it. So, while I think Aggrad's point about WASPs being behind in terms of social advancement has some merit, I don't think it captures the whole picture. And I think it's probably important to acknowledge the rest of the picture, otherwise we are painting that group of people in a pretty unfair light.
7thGenTexan
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Ah the even more sophisticated don't criticize what's obviously wanting because you live here and because they aren't awful in every single way defenses. There are many things southern white protestants are historically good at, this isn't one of them.

Ah yes, the usual presumption of the reasonably intelligent third world immigrant.

Let me be clear. The liberal form of government you praise was created largely by Southern WASPs.

I'm sorry that your culture hasn't produced anything noteworthy during the past millennium. I do hear Beirut was nice when it was ruled by the French, however.
Aggrad08
AG
The liberal form of government I enjoy was founded by enlightenment inspired diests who on a Grecian and roman model created an outstandingly secular model for it's time.

Many southern white protestants were involved in our early nation, again, not everything they do is bad. They just suck at social progress with remarkable consistency.

White nationalists have such fragile skin. Small men see criticism they cannot answer and turn to supposed racial superiority.
Zobel
AG
Strange thing for anyone to glory in what was done centuries before their birth. When folks living in the Middle East were discovering Pi, Britons, Celts, and Germanic tribes were living in dirt huts. While those living along the Mediterranean were developing the basis of western civilization (philosophy, civics, constitutions, music and the like) Britons and the like were still...living in dirt huts, mostly bereft of even a written language.

On the other hand, while those along the Mediterranean were stagnant in their advancement, Western Europe became a powerhouse of technological advancement.

That being said I'm not sure the US Constitution was much of a step forward in political theory as much as an ingenious application or implementation of existing ideas, reasoned through then-modern philosophy. You can read all of the mechanics, for example, in Aristotle's Politics.

So.. I guess what I'm saying is, WASPs received massive cultural inheritances from others - from some not white, and some not Anglo Saxon, and certainly from some not Protestant. And there's no guarantee whatsoever that in another couple of centuries WASPS will be top dog in any way.

Reversion to the mean is nasty business.
Frok
AG
This thread needs the death penalty
Star Wars Memes Only
Frok said:

This thread needs the death penalty

THIS THREAD IS INNOCENT!
FREE THIS THREAD!
I AM THIS THREAD!
#toomuchdoubt
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

There are many things southern white protestants are historically good at
Potlucks. They're really good at potlucks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.