Troubled Marriage

12,916 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by South Platte
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OP, I'm sorry to hear it.

I'm divorced. My ex wife filed. I did not see it coming and didn't want it, but had no choice in the matter.

I don't have any advice, but am willing to pray for you and your relationship if you would like me too.
sawemoff2010
AG
Jumped into this thread late, but I just wanted to say this made my day.

I'm thankful for OP's courage to share his struggles. In our culture it's weak to show that you don't have it all together...but as brothers in Christ we should reach out to others for help

I'm thankful for the mountains of support from so many on this thread who, without knowing this guy at all, still desperately want his marriage to succeed.

I'm thankful that OP and his wife sat down and recommitted to working on this. Communication is key. So glad that y'all are working at it! Y'all are a good examples for me!

And finally I'm most thankful to God. I know that prayers have been sent from this post. I know that in some mysterious way He is answering those prayers. I know that He wants OP to have a fulfilling marriage that is a fundamental building block in the raising of those kids.

Prayers for y'all and God bless you both!
GrayMatter
AG
Quote:

It has been much harder than we ever thought it would be and we knew it would be difficult. (Sorry to be vague)
I think we (married couples) are all surprised and possibly overwhelmed at how difficult it would be to raise a family.
Quote:

I think there is definitely work to do in our marriage. And work that I need to do as a husband. But my wife mentioned how she felt she had lost her identity. That after work and being a mom and a wife, there wasn't any room for her to be her. She recently had a birthday and I think there may be some things she's working through. It made me sad to hear this and I have committed myself to helping her where I can. I shared with her about how I grew up with probably a pretty poor example of a marriage IMO. My parents have been married for over 40 years but they fought quite a bit and threats (even divorce) were hurled too often. It's kind of incredible they've lasted this long. On one hand they are an inspiration. On another I can look at it and say with honesty "that is not the kind of marriage I want". Not only that but the situation my parents had was entirely different than mine and my wife's. It also made me stop and think, "what example are we setting for our children?" That was a kick in the butt that really got my attention.
There's really not one correct way to raise a child, just pick your battles and realize that not everything is about what she really thinks. Some of it is about how was she raised as a kid.

I think kids are pretty resilient and understand far more than we give them credit for. It's how they see you deal with conflict that will teach them how to deal with it. I read something about this that makes total sense, how you treat their mother will effectively teach them how to treat a woman and vice versa.

Quote:

Good news! I've made arrangements for the kids Friday evening and I'm taking her out on a date. We'll only have a few hours but I'm hoping it allows us to connect and we can go from there. I know this isn't an overnight fix. I fully intend on introducing many of the references and thoughts here to her in hope that we can start to really work on us as a couple and that I can be a better and more supportive husband - I can't control everything, but I can control what I do.
Don't short change yourself. By coming on here and admitting that you need help is huge and so is both of your wills to try to rediscover yourselves with one another. Whether it be 1 hour, a day or a weekend, it's uninterrupted time that counts the most. Cherish it! Once you start bickering about dumb stuff, you know it's time to schedule some one-on-one time.

For the record, I've been married for 16 years and currently have two kids under the age of 10. No matter how many kids you have or how old they (or you are), it changes your household dramatically. I'm not here to preach but just relay a bit of our struggles so you can see that everyone struggles just the same. It's what you do with that frustration that defines your marriage.

Over the years I've learned quite a bit with the most important one being communication. My wife is the one who is trying to manage her anger issues and I cannot stand anger because my dad was constantly angry when I was a kid. I've gotten angry about her anger which is sooo counter intuitive but in the heat of the battle everything seems so logical. I've also recently stopped taking score meaning you have a running calculator in your mind of everything that you do in the household vs what she does in the household. You will do more than your fair share at some point in your marriage just like she will do more at some points as well. It's a marriage, not a business partnership.

We recently had a discussion where she felt like she was doing more than her fair share of the work, but it wasn't really about that. She is a SAHM and was overwhelmed by everything that she had to do. A hug is what worked the best to first sympathize and then get her to start talking about what was troubling her. Sometimes a person just wants to vent but doesn't know how. You shouldn't take any offense to what she says when she vents; just listen. I used to have a short fuse about her saying things about me that weren't true, but it's not always the reality, that's just how she was feeling. One marriage misconception is that one partner doesn't understand what the other one is going through. At the end of the day, you're in this together; if there is no understanding, that means you're not talking enough.

I also recommend The Love Dare book by Stephen and Alex Kendrick. There's some really good advice on what to do if you think your marriage is in shambles. I don't know that you'd get a lot of the movie since it might not pertain to your situation, but it does kind of help to reinforce ideas from the book.

My wife is a career woman disguised as a SAHM and her time to rejoin the workforce is coming ever so closer. I'm fully aware that our household dynamic is once again going to change and hopefully we'll be able to navigate through those treacherous waters as a team.

Lastly, I pray for your marriage and those that are facing divorce reconsider for your own peace and sanity and those of your children. Good luck!
The conversations will be uncomfortable, but we all have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable for progress to be made.
dermdoc
AG
Still praying for y'all. Do not give up! And it is weird that we raised such wonderful kids who love the Lord, are active in their churches and daily prayer and Bible time. No tattoos, no drugs, no children out of wedlock, college degrees, and it really never felt like we were working that hard at it. Never were forceful about church or anything else.Definitely never preach or restrictive. But my wife and I did do a lot of church and community work and both have post grad degrees so I guess they just watched us. A lot of times what you do and how you act is a lot more important than what you say.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jaydoug
AG
Going on 21 years here with 5 kiddos. Been in your spot. Tim Keller's Meaning of Marriage really helped me to understand my role as a spiritual servant leader and husband/father.

Here's the short of it, it ain't about you, hoss. Time to work. You are the first servant in the relationship. Head of the house church. It's a battle, a spiritual one. You've got to do your role as income earner while also serving your wife while leading her and secondarily the kids in Christ. Y'all come before the kids. Don't serve them, lead them. As Jordan Peterson put it in his 12 Rules for Life, don't let your kids do anything to make you hate them.

I am the most selfish and lazy person I know. I want what I want when I want it. Entertainment, comfort, pleasure, to be served, etc. Emptiness. Meaningless, per Solomon. A chasing after the wind. Doing the Husband/Dad thing has been HARD because I have to think of myself less. But here's the great thing. God made you in His image to serve in this exact way. Think of how it must feel to a tool to be used for its purpose. Satisfaction among the exhaustion. I'm still learning this. Long way to go.

Seriously77

BCG Disciple
AG
OP, glad to hear you're on the right path. One thing I do want to stress is work to stay positive and think of what your spouse does well. It is difficult to do in times like this, but it allows you to mentally stay on track. I liked the concept of an appreciation room and depreciation room. An appreciation room is a room of things you like and respect about your spouse, and it is much easier to get to this room in the honeymoon stages of a marriage. As time moves on, there is a darker corridor that leads to a depreciation room. This is a room that displays the weaknesses and failures of your spouse. There are hateful things in this room, and bitterness spreads like a disease. Divorces are plotted in this room. The more time spent in this room, the more your spouse is devalued. Your care for your spouse ticks away with every second of being in there. Yes, while everything in this room may be true, every person has their own personal faults, areas of needed growth, and unresolved issues. Part of having a relationship is talking about things, understanding the other spouse and trying to take purposeful actions to stay out of the depreciation room.

Be purposeful. This is not something you can just take for granted and assume it will work out. You have to be purposeful and methodical with your actions and routine to bring you closer together.

Not sure of your spiritual beliefs, but I found a program called Re-engage massively helpful. Mostly because it forced weekly discussions of topics and forced conversations on things that simply would not be brought up if there wasn't a plan of action to discuss it. If you're at this stage, I can tell you that it is not something you can let up on and not something that you can just turn around and expect old habits to die. You need a program and you need peers to help you and keep you on the right path. Do not fall in to the trap of thinking you have it or thinking she has it, as you will look up in a year and be in this exact same position.

http://marriagehelp.org/what-is-it/what-is-reengage/

Ciboag96
Can't work on your marriage, have to work on yourself. No such thing as an equal marriage. Serve her as hard as you can, sacrifice your interests for her, as Jesus sacrificed himself for you. Only way to your own happiness.

You can do it. You were made to!
TrueAggie2004
UPDATE.

It's happened. I'm crushed and this is truly devastating to me.

About a month before I came to post the first message my wife and I sat down and agreed that our marriage was in trouble and needed attention. She had said things about "losing her identity" since the kids came along and that she "needed more me time". Being an understanding husband, I supported her and obliged. When she wanted to go out to dinner with friends or have drinks after work with co-workers I stayed home with the kids. She wanted to take a few trips out of town. Looking back it is obvious - she had an emotional investment somewhere other than with her husband, her marriage or her family.

Eventually I noticed she was frequenting Austin and stronger suspicions began to surface. She met someone one of the times she was up there. They talked for about a month and then she arranged a reason to take a day off work and went up there to have sex with him. A couple weeks later she was ready to do it again. Except I caught her. I did not need another reason to hate Austin, but now I have it. She came home and we talked and argued. This is all my fault by the way. Her behavior after this told me everything I needed to know. She was out. I did a background check on the guy. Felony drug conviction - 2 counts for narcotics. Pleaded out of the higher charge and got 90 days in jail. Also sports 2 foreclosures to his name. Great job honey.

Despite all this, I didn't want to divorce. I was willing to take things slow and try to work through it. I discovered she hired an attorney. I hired one immediately and made sure to file the same day. I wasn't about to be the husband that got cheated on AND served papers.

Obviously, I'm struggling with this. Dealing with the fallout of the affair and the realization that my life is about to abruptly change. I am truly terrified of how my kids will take this. And I am dreading the first "where is mommy?" or "I want mommy" moment.

So that's it.
dermdoc
AG
So sorry. Prayers God's peace and healing.

2 Corinthians 4:8

We are pressed on all sides, but not crushed. Perplexed it not driven to despair.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
powerbelly
AG
Sorry to hear this. I will be praying for your family.
PacifistAg
AG
Very sorry to hear this.
diehard03
Quote:

Obviously, I'm struggling with this. Dealing with the fallout of the affair and the realization that my life is about to abruptly change. I am truly terrified of how my kids will take this. And I am dreading the first "where is mommy?" or "I want mommy" moment.

Please make sure you have a good attorney that is advising you on what to do as a father to maintain control of your children.

Unfortunately, your happiness is on hold and you must do what's necessary to protect your children.

I know others will come with the thoughts and prayers...but this is holy discontent territory for you. She is going to unload on you and you cannot....I repeat...you cannot lose this fight. Unfortunately, you cannot be sad right now. Now, it's time for righteous anger to keep what's left of your family together and remove any influence she might have.
Star Wars Memes Only
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Please make sure you have a good attorney that is advising you on what to do as a father to maintain control of your children.

Unfortunately, your happiness is on hold and you must do what's necessary to protect your children.

I know others will come with the thoughts and prayers...but this is holy discontent territory for you. She is going to unload on you and you cannot....I repeat...you cannot lose this fight. Unfortunately, you cannot be sad right now. Now, it's time for righteous anger to keep what's left of your family together and remove any influence she might have.
Seamaster
AG
Sorry man.

Do what's best best for you and the kids.

Torbush
AggieRain
AG
Man, I'm really sorry to hear this. I would take comfort in the fact that, from where I'm sitting, it looks like you did all you can do. You are a very forgiving person. I hope you find peace and a fresh start. Best of luck to you and your kids.
dermdoc
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Unfortunately I agree. Especially the last paragraph.
chimpanzee
I don't have anything better to offer except to allow that I was a child of divorce when my brother and I were ~6 and 4 respectively. Your kids will continue to love you and your wife even when you are not around and/or hate each other's guts. Life won't be what you expected, but it never was. Good luck.

Zobel
AG
That sucks man. I'm really sorry to hear about this. If you need someone to have a beer with or blow off steam I'm in Houston.

Forgiveness and pragmatic action aren't exclusive. You have to do wha this best for your family. If she no longer wants to be a part of that, you're not obligated to consider her in that analysis. Take care of your kids and yourself. Really upset for you.
maxag42
I'm very sorry to hear this. Prayers for you and your family. Like diehard03 said, do the best for you and your kids right now. Document everything and i mean everything. Emails, texts, pictures, etc. Hire a PI to take pictures of the wife and her "boyfriend". Save your research about him and his criminal records. Detail your conversations with her as much as you can remember and write it down. Right now, it's all about your kids and the best for them. The court will not feel easy sending the kids to live with their mother who cheated in her marriage and her boyfriend or acquaintance who has a criminal record.

I can't imagine what you're going through. Just remember that we're here for you. Go to church and family and friends for support as much as you need. You're not alone in this.
AGC
AG
chimpanzee said:

I don't have anything better to offer except to allow that I was a child of divorce when my brother and I were ~6 and 4 respectively. Your kids will continue to love you and your wife even when you are not around and/or hate each other's guts. Life won't be what you expected, but it never was. Good luck.

I was younger. The liberal parent wins early but in the end we all recognize our parents faults and flaws. You just need to realize that you're playing the long game - you will be loved and they will figure everything out as they age and mature. It will be hell watching your kids suffer even when they don't understand what's going on. Stay the course.

I would warn against giving her money to settle and expecting it to go away. She may fight for custody continually, regardless of early settlements, and the courts will not be on your side. Set aside money for the kids for counseling as well. It's not an easy transition. They'll struggle with questioning their worth and value. I have other friends that have been through this and have abusive ex's (more emotional than physical with regards to their children). It may not be that bad but they'll need help processing and working through what's going on.

I pray that God would convict her and redeem her, and protect you and the children. That is what is truly great about God, there is no injustice that he does not right, and nothing He cannot redeem.
UTExan
I am so sorry to hear about this. I am praying that God comforts you in those lonely moments sure to come with the reality of His boundless love and care for your and your children and that you will be sensitive to His leading and guidance in these tough times, and that you are sustained by a loving faith community.

Quote:

Ephesians 3:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)

20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
BrazosDog02
AG
Meh...nevermind. My post doesn't help you. I'm removing it.

Suffice it to say I would utilize the wrath and anger God put in me to exhaust as many means and resources as I responsibly could in order to completely destroy her emotionally and financially. I would leverage everything I had in my power to maintain control of all I owned and held dear, especially my children.

Whatever it took. Win by any means possible and retain a lawyer that thinks similarly.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Thoughts and prayers. On other threads about this I've heard people say to not move out of the house. Moving out cedes the house to the spouse and that you're 'abandoning the family.'

Any truth to that?
Aggie Apple
AG
I'm so sorry for you and your family and am praying for all. So sorry.
diehard03
Quote:

Suffice it to say I would utilize the wrath and anger God put in me to exhaust as many means and resources as I responsibly could in order to completely destroy her emotionally and financially. I would leverage everything I had in my power to maintain control of all I owned and held dear, especially my children.

Whatever it took. Win by any means possible and retain a lawyer that thinks similarly.

I would have no desire to ruin my wife in this case, but I would do everything in my power to have sole custody of the children and protect the their financial well-being. One does have to be careful here as she is still the child's mother. Being vindictive or overly cruel will not help the situation.

Quote:

On other threads about this I've heard people say to not move out of the house. Moving out cedes the house to the spouse and that you're 'abandoning the family.'

You're giving her leverage, that's for sure. it's tough to make a case you need full custody when you leave the house and let her stay with them.
PacifistAg
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

While this approach may feel satisfying in the short-term, it's not remotely compatible with the Christian way. Being guided by anger like this will only result in more pain to your ex, your children, and yourself.

If a man sues you for your coat, give him your shirt also. Do not seek revenge. Love does not seek its own. It does not act unbecomingly. It does not take into account wrongs suffered. In everything, treat people the same way you want them to treat you.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

BrazosDog02 said:

While this approach may feel satisfying in the short-term, it's not remotely compatible with the Christian way. Being guided by anger like this will only result in more pain to your ex, your children, and yourself.

If a man sues you for your coat, give him your shirt also. Do not seek revenge. Love does not seek its own. It does not act unbecomingly. It does not take into account wrongs suffered. In everything, treat people the same way you want them to treat you.

If it was just him I wouldn't disagree. But for the sake of his children he cannot simply turn the other cheek.
swimmerbabe11
BrazosDog02 said:

Especially with kids in the picture, this is a super unhealthy approach.
PacifistAg
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

BrazosDog02 said:

If it was just him I wouldn't disagree. But for the sake of his children he cannot simply turn the other cheek.
Turning the other cheek is even more important with the presence of kids. No matter what he thinks of his wife, she is still the mother of their children. Viciously seeking revenge will harm the children, as well as himself and his wife. He's talking about inflicting max pain on his ex, and as swimmer pointed out, that's a super unhealthy approach. But, those teachings I referenced do not have exceptions listed w/ them regardless.
Cynic
Don't take advice from strangers on Texags.
swimmerbabe11
This is a time when you can be an example of Christian love and forgiveness. I'm not saying by any means that he shouldn't protect his children and assets, but to ruin someone's life as an act of revenge...it's a bad example for your children, hurts them as much if not more than the spouse, and it poisons your soul.

Don't badmouth your children's mother to them, don't vent about her to them....you don't have to pretend that everything is okay, but you also don't want to use them as pawns to punish her or add confrontation in what is already bound to be a chaotic time for them.

The best revenge in this scenario will be a life well lived. Going to church, being the best father you can be, being patient and loving and forgiving in any time that you can, moving on, improving yourself, etc.

I'm also a child of divorce. The only thing I wish is that my parents were better at what I said above. Anger and bitterness is a terrible way to live your life and it is so hard to dig out once the seed has been planted.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

The best revenge in this scenario will be a life well lived. Going to church, being the best father you can be, being patient and loving and forgiving in any time that you can, moving on, improving yourself, etc.
Agreed, and this also provides the best opportunity for reconciliation. Reconciliation should always be the goal, IMO, because that's always God's desire with us. It's why I always think of Hosea and Gomer at times like this.

I know reconciliation may seem impossible right now, but we never know what the future may bring, especially after she wakes up one day regretting her course. In the meantime, just be the most devoted father, husband (even in divorce) and follower of Christ possible.
Solo Tetherball Champ
RetiredAg said:

Solo Tetherball Champ said:

RetiredAg said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Turning the other cheek is even more important with the presence of kids. No matter what he thinks of his wife, she is still the mother of their children. Viciously seeking revenge will harm the children, as well as himself and his wife. He's talking about inflicting max pain on his ex, and as swimmer pointed out, that's a super unhealthy approach. But, those teachings I referenced do not have exceptions listed w/ them regardless.

This is what I get for skimming on my phone . I don't disagree with maintaining composure in front of his children and that he should not be seeking to inflict maximum pain upon his wife, emotionally, financially, etc.

However, where you and I will probably disagree is that I believe there is a place for righteous anger. God displays it. Even Christ expressed it. I think that righteous anger is completely appropriate in order for him to steel himself for what must be done: protecting his children. While I don't know him from anyone else, he will have to do whatever he can to win in order to protect what matters most. So I would tell him that he needs to hire the meanest, sharpest legal mind out there who will use every legal trick in the book to make sure that he maintains custody and control. As harsh as it sounds, he must be ready to show no mercy because I doubt his wife will be giving any herself. While I know we are only receiving one side of the story, it is clear that his wife had checked out of this marriage a long time ago and had been planning her moves for a while. He cannot afford to be nice when it comes to his children.

PacifistAg
AG
I agree that righteous anger isn't inherently wrong. It's what we let that "righteous anger" lead us to do that becomes a problem. Such as...

Quote:

As harsh as it sounds, he must be ready to show no mercy because I doubt his wife will be giving any herself.
Christ said for us to be merciful, just as the Father is merciful. We are to forgive seventy times seven, and never seek revenge. Blessed are those who are merciful, for they will receive mercy.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.