Troubled Marriage

12,836 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by South Platte
TrueAggie2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I are considering divorcing.
We have been married 6 years.

We have kids together so it really sucks, but I think we've both reached a point where neither one of us knows what to do. We rarely (and I mean rarely) have sex or otherwise show affection. A peck on the cheek at this point is unusual. That is my chief compliant. For her, I don't help enough. I've tried to address that but not sure it has really made a difference. I'm not sure what got us here. We both used to get along great. We both work and once kids came into the picture our stress level went through the roof. No one is cheating on the other (I don't think). I don't know if this is just a tough time or if this is really time to call it quits. We've been to one marriage counselor who was pretty terrible and didn't seem to offer any help and made us even less optimistic.

I'm writing to see if anyone else that has had similar experience had any insight.

Is there anything we can try to help fix or sustain this? Just hoping for something.
TJJackson
I went through a similar experience, and I'm hesitant to say this for a couple of reasons. One I don't want to come across as crass or offensive, two my ex wife might stumble across this but here goes.

If there is no romance, I am without a doubt sure she is getting romance somewhere else.

It's what happened with me. Kid came along, situation at home became more stressful, no meaningful conversation, only arguments. The romance left and we decided to get divorced. I found out later she had cheated.

I'm saying this without malice or ill will. I'm not saying I'm right, but it should at least be a possibility.

I pray things get better for you. Nobody likes to see a marriage end.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.

-Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
dermdoc
AG
If you go to church, I would ask your pastor for a counselor's name. Pastors deal with this all the time. Will pray for y'all and do not give up!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Faithful Ag
I can't say I've ever been where you are now, but all marriages have times where there are real struggles and misunderstandings. Here are some resources my wife and I have found helpful in our understanding of or differences and differing needs:

Love and Respect

For her only
For him only

Laughing your way to a better marriage

Five love languages

7 principles of marriage
TrueAggie2004
leakypipes said:

I went through a similar experience, and I'm hesitant to say this for a couple of reasons. One I don't want to come across as crass or offensive, two my ex wife might stumble across this but here goes.

If there is no romance, I am without a doubt sure she is getting romance somewhere else.

It's what happened with me. Kid came along, situation at home became more stressful, no meaningful conversation, only arguments. The romance left and we decided to get divorced. I found out later she had cheated.

I'm saying this without malice or ill will. I'm not saying I'm right, but it should at least be a possibility.

I pray things get better for you. Nobody likes to see a marriage end.
That's terrible! I'm sorry you went through that.

I suppose anything is a possibility, but I'm skeptical that's happening.
She literally has no time. I guess she could be screwing someone on her lunch hour...?
agie95
AG
I recommend two books both available from Amazon:

For you - A Garden of Peace

For her - Woman's Wisdom

Yes, they are Jewish books. I highly recommend them though. My marriage has never been better after reading them 5 or so years ago. Now married over 20 years.

When it says don't share the information it means don't share. It will be used against you.

Both books, more in the women's I am told, speak about reincarnation. Disregard that aspect of the books.

Every couple goes through different phases. I wouldn't assume she is cheating just b/c she is not touching you. There could be a number of reasons, but women in general are not as active as men are and when their needs are not being met it is only natural for them to hold back. It also can be hormonal, though this is more typically for women from their upper 30's and older.

Typically, men and women are at this point b/c both are being selfish (one may be more than the other) and therefore not trying to meet the needs of the other. Marriage is hard and you must work at it. You are going through some of the toughest years right now.

Give the information in these books a try. It is worth a try, at least for your kids sake. The difference between these books and other advice is they help you get to the root of the problem vs masking the symptoms.
TrueAggie2004
Thank you for the comments and suggestions thus far.
It is much appreciated.
PacifistAg
AG
My wife and I have been through those periods w/ almost the exact same "symptoms". For us, divorce was never on the table. There were times we just did not like each other at all, but we also knew divorce was a non-starter. It takes an immense amount of work, but brother, I will tell you that if you make it through, I'm confident you'll think it was all worth it.

For the two stated issues:
sex - this was a frustration for me. It still is to some degree. What helped me was I reached the point that I realized how petty I was being. I was willing to destroy a vow I made with my wife, before God, because I wasn't getting enough sex. I also realized that getting upset about a lack of sex required that I objectify my wife, someone who bears the image of God. She isn't there for me to have sex with. She's a partner, not pleasurer.

help - we found this issue to be rooted in a failure to communicate. I thought I was helping. She didn't. She had a problem of assuming that I saw something that needed to be done, but simply chose to ignore it. Once we talked it out, we found that I simply wasn't seeing it in the first place. So it forced her to communicate more clearly, full knowing that I may not be seeing what needs to be done, and it forced me to pay attention so I actually saw what needed to be done.

The first thing I'd recommend, aside obviously from getting counseling from your preacher or a Christian marriage counselor, is for the two of you to go away for a weekend. Not for sex. Not for anything but to just be together, away from the kids. We did that and it helped us rediscover just how much we enjoyed each other's company. But I'd strongly urge you to not go down the path of divorce, especially now that children are involved. Marriage is hard work, and there are times it sucks. But I now see my wife every day and, when I look at her, I see evidence of God's grace in my life because I certainly do not deserve her.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Martin Q. Blank
How old are the kids? 6 years of marriage so they have to be pretty young. That is a lot of stress for two working adults. Try downsizing and one of you not work or only work part time. That way, one can keep the house in order, spend time with kids, shop, cook, etc. While the other makes the money and helps on the weekend and evenings. This seems to be the root of the problem.

Also, talk about and create habits. Hug and say you love each other when you depart, hug when you see each other again, pray together, babysitter/dinner every Friday with intimacy afterword (have some wine before if there is no affection there), buy her flowers every month, etc. FORCE it until it becomes a habit.

Don't let a temporary situation let you make a lifetime decision. Especially when you will be making that decision for your kids as well.
aggiegirl1970
TrueAggie2004, if you are interested, I wrote and published a book on the pillars of rock solid relationships. It is a short read, but the premise is relationships are built on:

C - Communication
H - Honesty
R - Respect
I - Intimacy
S- Servanthood
T - Trust

I use a lot of scripture to support the points made. You will note the first letter of each pillar spells out Christ.

By the way, this is my wife's texags account, I am the husband and wrote the book. If you are interested in reading it, just private message me your address and I'll send you a free copy. Let me know if you PM me, as I don't always remember to check that.
FTAggies
Women just don't understand the importance of sex to a man, especially the importance nowadays with the constant barrage of sex everywhere in ads, tv, movies. But women require emotional intimacy and connection, paying attention helping out, connecting.

Your issues might seem big now, but there is no pain like divorce, it's one of those dying inside kind of pains, no matter how much "better" your life may be or get afterwards it's hell, seriously. You need to have a sit down with her and talk about what you want and where you're going and what you want out of life and for your children. Doesn't matter how "acceptable" it is it's an awful thing and a major life regret.

Ps it doesn't mean she's cheating, however you both are in a prime time for the opportunity for someone to come along and turn your heads away

Also write her a note, tell her how much you appreciate how hard she works for your family, start small. Then write her another note and another, small stuff. Sometimes we have to put into our marriages what we want to get out. I.e when I text I love you to my wife I put an exclamation at the end, I may not always feel that way but it always feels nice to get that exclamation back, it's small.
Gig'em
Win At Life
AG
You should pray and work as hard as you can to be everything she wants in a man even and take all the advice mentioned above.

Having said that, everything you can do may not make any difference and she can still take your kids from you on Father's Day and send divorce papers to your office on Monday. It happened to me.

To protect yourself in this case I recommend you become your kids primary care giver. Get them dressed, take them to school, pick them up, feed them bathe them and put them to bed. You can tell your wife you are doing these things to help her and your marriage and that will be true. But it will also be true that if she files for divorce, the main deciding factor on which parent gets awarded primary custody at that age is which parent is the primary caregiver. I very much regret not knowing this until I was forced to seek a divorce lawyer to protect myself.
Dr.Rumack
Five Love Languages? What does this even mean?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

It's a book/study that basically digs into the fact that not everyone feels and experiences love the same, and that we typically show love in the primary way we feel it. it breaks it out into 5 main categories of types of love. Then goes on to explain that if your spouse does not experience love the same way you do, all the gestures of love you may be doing, could be not having the intended affect because it's not their primary "love language". it delves into figuring out what you and your spouse's primary love languages are to help you better understand what sort of things will make your spouse feel loved.

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
Win At Life
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

Wiki five love languages book and definition
AggieRain
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

It is worth a look. I typically frown on these types of self help books, but this one has been really beneficial.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Lots of solid advice already but here is a bit of my own from my wife and my experiences.

My first piece would be if you want this to work, divorce needs to be fully taken off the table as an option, both in your mind and in the conversation. This is important for two reasons:
  • First, for a marriage to truly thrive both people have to be able to be completely vulnerable and honest with each other. For this type of vulnerability to happen, there has to be an assumed/understood security in the relationship. This security gets shattered when divorce enters as an option, because the relationship is no longer a lifelong commitment but a regular relationship that could come to an end at any time. This can effect the level of communication but also physical intimacy. I know personally, my wife would completely shut down physically if there was a thought that divorce was a possibility, just because she would lose the security that commitment brings. So if divorce has entered the conversation, I would suggest sitting down with your wife and formally and unequivocally taking it off the table.
  • Second, it will help you mentally to persevere in making your marriage work. Our brains are a funny thing, and are willing to push through quite a bit more muck when we know there is no other option. It the same reason that when I go for a long run, I prefer out and back to loops. If I'm running laps, I have multiple chances to give up on my run if an exit happens to coincide with a weak moment in my will power. If I go out and back, I know I have to finish and so the ebb and flow of my will power smooths out because my brain isn't even considering quitting, because it knows I can't, I have to finish. So convincing yourself that this is till death will make you much stronger and more effective in pursuing a solid marriage.

Physical Affection:
Here I am going to partly agree with with Retired but be a bit more broad and include all physical affection since you did. Here differences in levels of physical interest can be a large stress on a relationship, and there will likely always be some level of difference between you and your wife. But being willing to tear apart a marriage over this is a severe overreaction. I do disagree to a point with Retired though, because I do think that if both parties are physically able, sex is an important part of a healthy marriage. She is not there solely for sexual gratification, but especially if one of your "love languages" is physical touch, not having it can be a huge drain on a marriage. (Paul even says not to deprive each other sexually in 1 Corinthians 7). But you also have to learn to be ok with different levels of physical desire. If you are anything like me, you will basically have two thresholds. 1)The amount of physical intimacy you want (which will likely be unsustainable outside of a honeymoon type vacation) and 2)the amount you need in order to maintain a feeling of closeness with your spouse. If that's the case, figure out where your thresholds are and have that conversation. My wife and i recognized that when our second child arrives it will likely be difficult to consciously maintain adequate intimacy for both of us, so we basically set a threshold and agreed, if we ever get to x number of days, it doesn't matter if neither of us are in the mood, we are doing it, which sounds terrible, but takes some of the pressure off because neither ever has to wonder, "is this ever going to happen again", and also it's just for a season. Also in this, remember sex is not just a need/desire for you. Paul also says for husbands to not deprive their wives sexually. And this is a place I think particularly in the church people get things wrong, teaching that sex is essentially just for the man. But its not so don't treat it like something just for you. After saying all this though, I would recommend not pushing to hard on remedying the physical side of things, until you have re-established some trust and intimacy on the other fronts, otherwise this will likely not go well. It may not be fair, but this one has to take backseat.

Helping out:
Two things here (hopefully not a novel but we will see). First, along the lines of the "love languages" and what Retired said, it may be that you are not helping where she needs/wants help. I know this was an issue for me and i have just started daily asking my wife when i get home (she stays at home with kiddo) "how can i be the most help to you right now?" its silly but it makes sure my efforts are being best spent, it also communicates to her that i care about being helpful. On her side though, the expectation can't be there that i will just know what the priority should be. People see and process the world differently and so an expectation to be on the same page without communicating what that page is, is unrealistic and doomed to failure, and i think if that is a struggle, that is a conversation you can GENTLY have with her. Second, it may help to change of the mindset of you are not helping her, the two of you are a team working together. This may not be the case, but the mindset of helping her could be portraying that all of the work is her responsibility and you are just "helping out" and especially if you both work this could be a big deal.

Counseling:
Don't give up on this just because of one bad experience. Finding the right counselor can be huge, but you will likely have to sift through several bad ones first. Because just because someone else loves them, doesn't make them the right fit for you. Last year my wife an I were having an issue we just couldn't work through after a year of trying and so we finally sought help. It took us a few tries to find a counselor that was a good fit for both of us, but once we did, it was like flipping a switch on the issue. Literally two sessions and we had figured out why we were at such an impasse. The other piece of this (and this is pure speculation now), is especially if your kids are still young, there is a chance your wife is struggling with some form/level of postpartum depression or anxiety. My wife was hit pretty hard with late onset postpartum anxiety at about 10 months and it really opened my eyes to this. It is something widely overlooked but very real. It took a massive episode for both of us to realize it was there, but once we started digging (with a counselor that was a good fit for her) we realized how long it had actually been there just at a simmer level. It helped us to see that a lot of our stress had been stemming from this underlying anxiety that hadn't been dealt with, and depending on the age of your kids this could be hard to diagnose because in the medical world "postpartum" stops after 12 months, even though this issue can linger for years. Now that we have been through this and learned to recognize it, looking around, i would wager 60-70% of women i interact with who have kids under 5 struggle with this on one level or another. And this is another area that counseling can be a huge help, both in diagnosing, and in dealing with it. But something like that sitting under the surface can undermine all your best efforts to strengthen your marriage.

My last piece of advice is try to find an older couple that you respect who have been married a long time and get them involved in your life. It is hard to overstate the benefit of having someone in your life who has "been there, done that" who can help encourage and advise your through. Because when you get down to it, no problem you can experience is new, anything you go through someone has made it through before you, and likely most (not all) of the issues you will face in your marriage will end up being pretty common to most marriages that made it 30-40-50 years. And the other takeaway from that, is if you both work through this, this is absolutely something you can work through and is not the end unless you let it be. Hopefully all my pre-coffee morning ramblings here made sense and are worth at least slightly more than you paid for them.
Frok
AG
I have no wise words other than do everything you can to save your marriage. Of all the options there are at this point that one will lead to the most long-term happiness for all involved parties.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

My first piece would be if you want this to work, divorce needs to be fully taken off the table as an option, both in your mind and in the conversation.
This.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
dermdoc
AG
Great post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
There's some really good advice in here. One thing I would like to add, just as food for thought. Americans are all about pleasure - we even enshrined it in our declaration of independence, except we called it "happiness." Culturally for us this is our measuring stick for everything. My neighbor explained to me why she divorced her husband (with a five and three year old at home) as simply "I just wasn't happy." For most folks, this is reason enough. As a Christian, I think this is a very wrong way to look at things.

As Christians, we aren't here to be happy.

At least not the way most people think of that, anyway. Happiness is based on pleasure, it's based on temporary states of having things, or feeling things. It can't be maintained indefinitely, because even if you have all the money and power in the world, someday you'll die. Pleasure is not the purpose of our life. This was and is what non-Christian philosophy pursues - maximum pleasure, maximum happiness.

As Christians, were are here to be holy.

That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't be happy, it just means we have to put pleasure in its appropriate context. And the Scriptures tell us two things: one, that this is where true Joy is to be found, when we replace the temporary pleasure from emotions and feelgoodery and "stuff" with the eternal hope offered by divine things; and two, that even if we don't, everything is meaningless anyway. Trying to find happiness is impossible, because in the end it's all meaningless. The best you can do is to be satisfied with what you've got, a kind of scriptural "managing expectations" approach.

Christian marriage is a path to holiness, not (primarily) happiness. Armed with this knowledge, an outside observer can perhaps think about both you and your wife's primary complaints. Not enough sex? Is getting more sex an appetite for holiness or happiness? How can you examine the root of this frustration and desire? It's not bad or wrong, but is it what you need from your marriage to pursue God? If you got as much as you want would you be pursuing holiness? Or just maybe happier (for now)? Are there ways you can focus on holiness as a husband - both for yours and hers?

Not helping enough? For her - just food for thought - is your help for her about her holiness or happiness? If this was fixed and she had no chores to do, would this be a path of holiness? Can she view this work as a path for holiness?

Every wrong we feel in life is a blessing, it is an opportunity for us to forgive someone and in so doing obey the divine commandment, and gain forgiveness for ourselves. Even more fun, God knows we're not very good at this so He even tells us (maybe with a bit of a wink) that this will upset our enemies even more than if we got mad. Every time you get shot down in the bedroom is an opportunity to love your wife. Every time you leave a dish out or forget to put your clothes away is an opportunity for her to perform an act of love and forgiveness. It is both an incredibly challenging way to look at things, but also incredibly powerful.

Think about this - if we can't extend this most basic of Christian charity to the person we are supposed to love like our own bodies, the person we want to love like our own body, how can we do it for strangers, for our neighbor? Yet this is exactly what we're supposed to do. Marriage is just our training ground to love others. God gives us the easy one first. Giving your life up for your wife is easy compared to giving your life up for a stranger, a person who hates you.

As husband and wife you're there to help each other in life, and as a Christian our life is to become holy, made like Christ. I think only in this sense can satisfaction in a marriage be found.
Faithful Ag
Correct. I'll give a little more background on each and I would say this...all of us have room for change but real change takes time and takes work. Both of you need to give each other the grace to make changes and be willing to give it time. START TODAY. Don't wait. Be patient with each other and communicate. Fundamentally my bet is that both of you want to be happy, remain married, and be there for your children when your children need you (not just e/o weekend). It won't be easy but it will absolutely be worth it.

ALL marriages go through good and bad times. Marriage is not easy but is absolutely worth it. My wife and I have never and would never consider divorce. It is not an option and that mindset has been important. There have been times that we have struggled and that neither of us were very happy and we had 2 options - make changes to be happy or remain miserable. We chose to be happy and we are much better off today! Take divorce off the table. I hope this helps!

1. Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
This book speaks to to the fact that women need to feel loved and men need to feel respected. Primarily this is how we are wired. When this is missing almost everything else becomes lost and you end up going in circles where both of you are trying very hard but nothing seems to help. You are in what he calls the "crazy cycle" and to break it you need to act toward her with love and she needs to act toward you with respect. This is fundamental. You can probably YouTube the book and listen to it.

2. For HER only & For HIM only by Shaunti Feldhahn
My wife and I read these books and they were very helpful and eye-opening for both of us! There are 2 books but both of us read ours and then swapped. I think for HER only is more of a shock for women because men are actually much more complicated and much less confident than we let on. It gets back to Love and Respect, but also helps give insight into what men really seek with sex and intimacy and how it is much more emotional than physical. My wife was completely floored by this book. The research the author did for this is rock solid. The underlying question men have is "am I good enough?"

For HIM only was helpful too. Women need to feel loved and they need to know the we would choose our wife all over again if we could. Every day she needs the question "Do you love me" and "would you choose me again" answered.

3. Laughing your way to a better marriage is a video series by Mark Gungor.
The reality is you guys are struggling. Everything in your life is more difficult, more stressful, more sensitive, and you are not happy. The smallest things right now are setting each if you off. This guy is funny and he is good. You would both learn a lot and you will both laugh a lot and laughter will help. This will help you take a step back and relieve a little of the pressure. In fact maybe start with this! YouTube it.

4. Five Love languages by Gary Chapman
BlackGold did a good job here. Key is understanding how your wife feels loved and loving her that way. Same goes for you. All are important but some speak much louder and stronger than others. Both of you will have different languages.
Physical Touch, words of affirmation, receiving gifts, quality time, acts of service.

5. The 7 principles for making marriage work by Dr. John Gottman
This book is probably not where I would start but will be helpful as you are making progress and have at least made the commitment to try. One important principle here focuses on how you respond to each other. Is it with love? Are you assuming the best in your spouse or the worst?

One more I'll add is His Need/Her Needs. Hope this helps.
WaltonAg18
AG
BlackGoldAg2011 said:

Dr.Rumack said:

It's a book/study that basically digs into the fact that not everyone feels and experiences love the same, and that we typically show love in the primary way we feel it. it breaks it out into 5 main categories of types of love. Then goes on to explain that if your spouse does not experience love the same way you do, all the gestures of love you may be doing, could be not having the intended affect because it's not their primary "love language". it delves into figuring out what you and your spouse's primary love languages are to help you better understand what sort of things will make your spouse feel loved.

http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
The love languages are surprisingly helpful. My wife needs quality time to feel loved, so we make sure that no matter how busy we get we always find time to just set everything down and hang out together and talk or go get a cup of coffee and just chat. All I need though is physical touch, so I'm good with just sitting together on the couch even if we're doing different things. It helped us feel more appreciative of each other and also communicate what we needed//wanted more clearly.
No one should have to work to survive. Your right to life should not depend solely on your ability to produce capital.
Duncan Idaho
never been married but from what I have seen just from a resource management perspective;
Since you have kids, hanging out in a non-abusive but unsatisfying marriage is a better deal than getting divorced, and dealing with everything that comes with that.

vacating FL410
Win At Life
AG
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

My first piece would be if you want this to work, divorce needs to be fully taken off the table as an option, both in your mind and in the conversation.
This.

I HAD this.

We never discussed divorce.

Until I was served with divorce papers.

THIS requires BOTH to buy into it. YOU can't fully take divorce off the table unilaterally. If your wife chooses to file for divorce it doesn't matter what you did, or did not, discuss beforehand and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Seamaster
AG
Lots of good advice. I'd especially mention on the 'love language' stuff...that is so true.

For my wife, her love language is 'service.' That means me not being selfish and helping and pitching in and engaging with the children, even if I am tired etc. When I lead with that, what I want (my love language) is returned.

Have you tried dying to self and sacrificing your comfort/sleep/pleasure/leisure to help her?

Another good comment above was about how Americans are obsessed with happiness. A Christian marriage isn't all about happiness....'What can he do for me? What can she do for me?" A Christian marriage is about sacrifice and holiness.

Quote:

How old are the kids? 6 years of marriage so they have to be pretty young. That is a lot of stress for two working adults. Try downsizing and one of you not work or only work part time

^ That X 1,000. Having young kids in this day and age, especially with two working parents is miserable....and difficult and a challenge and a massive stress.

Cut back if at all humanly possible.

I am celebrating 15 years with my wife (after five kids) this year. Marriage is tough. Having young kids makes it harder. Its worth it though.

TrueAggie2004
OP here.

I just wanted to say a couple of things to start...

Firstly, thank you for all of the responses. I've read each and every one. It has been overwhelming to get this support/response and it literally brought tears to my eyes to have strangers offering help or pointers to us. Even just encouraging us to not give up is huge. I know it doesn't seem like much but I think my resolve was pretty low - it wasn't easy posting. A lot of what has been said resonated very strongly with our relationship. The insight and resources posted were incredibly eye-opening.

Secondly, my wife and I sat down last night. I said we couldn't work on our marriage with the D word echoing in our heads. I suggested we strike that from our vocabulary forever. We've both agreed to push that thinking away and each give the effort the other (and our marriage) deserves.

Our kids are young (all under 6 yrs old). And the circumstances involving 2 of them makes our lives very stressful; however we are close to turning a corner there I think. It has been much harder than we ever thought it would be and we knew it would be difficult. (Sorry to be vague)

I think there is definitely work to do in our marriage. And work that I need to do as a husband. But my wife mentioned how she felt she had lost her identity. That after work and being a mom and a wife, there wasn't any room for her to be her. She recently had a birthday and I think there may be some things she's working through. It made me sad to hear this and I have committed myself to helping her where I can. I shared with her about how I grew up with probably a pretty poor example of a marriage IMO. My parents have been married for over 40 years but they fought quite a bit and threats (even divorce) were hurled too often. It's kind of incredible they've lasted this long. On one hand they are an inspiration. On another I can look at it and say with honesty "that is not the kind of marriage I want". Not only that but the situation my parents had was entirely different than mine and my wife's. It also made me stop and think, "what example are we setting for our children?" That was a kick in the butt that really got my attention.

Good news! I've made arrangements for the kids Friday evening and I'm taking her out on a date. We'll only have a few hours but I'm hoping it allows us to connect and we can go from there. I know this isn't an overnight fix. I fully intend on introducing many of the references and thoughts here to her in hope that we can start to really work on us as a couple and that I can be a better and more supportive husband - I can't control everything, but I can control what I do.

I'm not sure if I will provide another update...maybe after a while.

This has helped me and I hope if any other couples are going through a difficult time that it may be of help to them as well. Thank you all again. Feel free to continue if you think the subject, on a broader level, is worth discussing.
PacifistAg
AG
Thank you for the update. So glad to hear that y'all have removed "divorce" from your vocabulary. We'll certainly be praying. I can tell you that the work never stops, but it stops feeling like work after a while because you begin to enjoy doing what it takes to grow closer. Something that has really helped us in that is praying together. Peace to you, brother.
--St Isaac the Syrian
vacating FL410
Lots of differing opinions on this board but I believe there is a unified voice crying out to God for your success. May God show favor on your entire family.
dermdoc
AG
Will continue to pray. Treat her like you did when you first fell in love is the only further advice I can give.
Frok
AG
Quote:

Good news! I've made arrangements for the kids Friday evening and I'm taking her out on a date. We'll only have a few hours but I'm hoping it allows us to connect and we can go from there. I know this isn't an overnight fix. I fully intend on introducing many of the references and thoughts here to her in hope that we can start to really work on us as a couple and that I can be a better and more supportive husband - I can't control everything, but I can control what I do.

Let them be yours alone And not for strangers with you. Let your fountain be blessed, And rejoice in the wife of your youth. As a loving hind and a graceful doe, Let her breasts satisfy you at all times; Be exhilarated always with her love. Proverbs 5:17-19
AggieRain
UTExan
Prayers for you both. And please pray for your wife.
FTAggies
I think we all definitely need to keep praying for them
Gig'em
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.