Two questions for Calvinists if you please

7,811 Views | 174 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dog
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Acts 8:17. Act 19:2.

Believe it or not the Church has had the same bible for a while and having read it we still hold the views passed down from the Apostles. If you take scripture or tradition by themselves they are inauthentic and misunderstood.

Scripture, anything, always has an interpretive framework over it. You read with your lense. I read with the lens taught by Orthodoxy, the lens of holy tradition. The variance is not in the scripture, it's in your lens.

Don't you think it's odd that you accept that Pelagius is a heresy but you flirt with joining him on one of the reasons he was condemned?

Don't you think it's weird to base a huge amount of theology on St Augustine while ignoring a great deal of his instructions? This is what I mean when I say, if he spoke in error combating a heresy, what is it to you? You don't generally listen to him in his Orthodoxy, so why follow what may be an error of personal belief?

Here's a thought exercise for you re: interpretive lens.
Say a person who has never been exposed to any theology finds the bible. They do not believe in God, they have not had any kind of direct revelation. They're just reading the bible. If you asked them for an exact exposition of the faith described in the bible, do you think they'd get it right? Let's go one step further - do you think it is even possible for them to get it exactly right?

And if you gave it to two people, separately, do you think they would come up with the same exact exposition?
Zobel
AG
Read the whole article, it's so good. But God doesn't coerce, our will is completely and totally free to accept or reject. Fr Thomas explains:

I think we should always remember that if people are elected, if people are chosen by God, there's two things we must remember. They are chosen because they are willing, freely, to cooperate; freely to cooperate, like St. Paul. He was knocked down on the Damascus road and became the Apostle to the Gentiles because he was willing to be converted. He was willing. When he was knocked down he didn't say, "Oh, I am having a hallucination; I thought I saw Jesus; I must be going crazy." No, he was ready to respond. He was ready to convert. He was ready to surrender, but in his total freedom of his humanity.

Of course, our freedom even is supported by the grace of God. We cannot be really free unless the grace of God is in us, otherwise we are in the hands of the devil, and we are not free. But this mystery of human freedom, it remains forever, so God knows whom to choose.

So the first thing we have to say is, the elect are those chosen by God and called by God, that he knew would cooperate. Jesus teaches in the Scripture that in some sense, everybody is called. In the synoptic gospels it says "many are called." Actually, it says, "the multitude are called." In other words, God would call every human being, but only a few are chosen, only a few are elect, because not everyone is willing to cooperate with God. The elect are those who are freely willing to cooperate with God.

But here, unlike the Calvinists, we Eastern Orthodox ancient Christians would never say that God arbitrarily chooses some and makes them elect, and he could choose anybody He wants. We do not believe in irresistible grace. We believe grace is resistible. We do not believe that the "sovereignty of God" means he could make anybody into St. Paul if he wanted to. That is simply not true, because our freedom is involved.

We do not believe in what is usually called double-predestination, whoever teaches it. I do not know if Calvinists do or not; you'd have to ask them. I would just put it this way: If anyone believes that God can arbitrarily, as it were, by his own will and sovereignty, choose anyone to be anything he wants them to be, and make them to be what he wants them to be, and predestine them to be saints and holy people, without their cooperation, their synergia, without their own freedom, that is simply not true. That is absolutely not true.
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

Acts 8:17. Act 19:2.

Believe it or not the Church has had the same bible for a while and having read it we still hold the views passed down from the Apostles. If you take scripture or tradition by themselves they are inauthentic and misunderstood.

Scripture, anything, always has an interpretive framework over it. You read with your lense. I read with the lens taught by Orthodoxy, the lens of holy tradition. The variance is not in the scripture, it's in your lens.

Don't you think it's odd that you accept that Pelagius is a heresy but you flirt with joining him on one of the reasons he was condemned?

Don't you think it's weird to base a huge amount of theology on St Augustine while ignoring a great deal of his instructions? This is what I mean when I say, if he spoke in error combating a heresy, what is it to you? You don't generally listen to him in his Orthodoxy, so why follow what may be an error of personal belief?
You can have a discussion without pulling out the tradition card. What was circumcision?
"He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised."

The sacrament was a sign and seal of something he already had by faith.

When was it counted to him?

"Was it before or after he had been circumcised? It was not after, but before he was circumcised."
Zobel
AG
That's the point though, you really can't.

Christian theology is one massive appeal to authority. None of us can support these arguments based on our own original ideas.

If both sides appeal to the same scripture - and clearly we do - and the answer isn't clear between the discussion, the question becomes who is offering the most authentic interpretation.

So, the test of authenticity of interpretation is in addition to the scriptures:
- Is it what was originally taught by Christ to the Apostles, and by the Apostles to the world?
- Has it always been taught this way? Can we see some evidence of continuous practice?
- Does it enjoy widespread or universal support?

On the other hand, the current evangelical test of authenticity is: does this make sense to me? Is this how I interpret it?

///

Please remember that circumcision is a type of baptism. It is not baptism. And, who are you to say that a child cannot have faith in God?

These arguments have been hashed out repeatedly in history. You just don't like the answers that the Church has for you.
PacifistAg
AG
Adding for a little levity:

“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Martin Q. Blank
k2aggie07 said:

That's the point though, you really can't.

Christian theology is one massive appeal to authority. None of us can support these arguments based on our own original ideas.

If both sides appeal to the same scripture - and clearly we do - and the answer isn't clear between the discussion, the question becomes who is offering the most authentic interpretation.

So, the test of authenticity of interpretation is in addition to the scriptures:
- Is it what was originally taught by Christ to the Apostles, and by the Apostles to the world?
- Has it always been taught this way? Can we see some evidence of continuous practice?
- Does it enjoy widespread or universal support?

On the other hand, the current evangelical test of authenticity is: does this make sense to me? Is this how I interpret it?

///

Please remember that circumcision is a type of baptism. It is not baptism. And, who are you to say that a child cannot have faith in God?

These arguments have been hashed out repeatedly in history. You just don't like the answers that the Church has for you.
Is this where all of your conversations are going to end? Why even start if that's how it's going to be? Just lead with that and we can save time. I get that Abraham receiving the sacrament 13 years after the fact poses a problem for you and you have no good answer.

And I never said children cannot have faith. All of my children are baptized.
Cage_Stage
AG
k2aggie07 said:

It's not just baptism but baptism and chrismation.

How many tiems will you beat you're head against the "I think...because I read.." wall before you see that there's no need for it? The Church didn't fall away from God.

Also, I didn't object to you calling it my view because I felt like you were slighting the church or me. It's important because I'm not trying to synthesize original ideas here. With very few exceptions I'm trying to faithfully represent the teaching of the church and the fathers as opposed to my personal ideas. Now I agree with them, and I believe them. But it's not "I read and I think...".
I don't view it as "beating my head against the wall" to read and strive to understand God's word, informed by the views of others. It's a tremendous privilege to do so. My only regret is that I can't spend more time doing it, and that I wasted so many years of my life distracted by other, idolatrous things.
Humans, even when they sit in councils or bear the title of pope, are not infallible. But even if it were established that there is an infallible human, or group of humans, walking on earth today, then I'd still have quite a dilemma. There are ~6 churches claiming apostolic succession (plus LDS). At least 3 claim some theory of exclusive human infallibility, vested in an individual or group or the consensus as it emerged within their own tradition. But each of those self-styled infallible bodies hold to traditions that do not square with each other on major doctrinal issues. So obviously, some of these supposedly infallible humans have erred.

But could there still be one of these that actually is infallible? Well, they all hold a doctrinal position or two irreconcilable with the plain teaching of Scripture (like baptismal regeneration). Couple that with the fact that "unanimity" emerged within these churches often under threat of violence and death for dissenters, and no, I cannot be convinced that any one of the churches that claim infallibility actually are.

Only the word of God is infallible. Does that mean I've got a formula for doctrinal chaos? Apparently so. But that's a result of living as a bunch of fallen creatures. So I pray that, according to Romans 8:28, all of the chaos will ultimately work for the good of everyone who truly loves God and His Christ.
Cage_Stage
AG
dermdoc said:

Just curious, what church do you go to?
An SBC church in Midlothian, TX. My handle is out of date.
Zobel
AG
Yes of course this is where my conversations end. Its where they begin, too - and protestants would do well to adopt a similar approach. We aren't told by the scriptures to develop our own faith but to hold fast to the teachings. Again and again, hold fast to the teachings, if anyone teaches something else he's anathema. Our default approach should be extremely conservative.

As for the discussion at hand, for starters, circumcision is not baptism. Circumcision was a fore-type of baptism. This doesn't mean that baptism works by the same "mechanics" as circumcision.

But even so, if we are going to use circumcision as the rule - was Abraham the rule or the exception? When were Israelites circumcised? On the 8th day, no?

I already gave you two verses that have to do very specifically with the Holy Spirit coming at the laying on of hands in the post-resurrection age. You provide some ancillary support calling on Abraham's circumcision as a one-off.
Solo Tetherball Champ
A little off topic, but I think the intent of some the people in this thread falls under the category of Sealioning.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cage_Stage
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Here's a thought exercise for you re: interpretive lens.
Say a person who has never been exposed to any theology finds the bible. They do not believe in God, they have not had any kind of direct revelation. They're just reading the bible. If you asked them for an exact exposition of the faith described in the bible, do you think they'd get it right? Let's go one step further - do you think it is even possible for them to get it exactly right?

And if you gave it to two people, separately, do you think they would come up with the same exact exposition?
No, but history shows that even those trying their best to hold to a Holy Tradition have diverged from each other.
Create Account
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

A little off topic, but I think the intent of some the people in this thread falls under the category of Sealioning.
Who? I think it's been quite interesting.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

I don't view it as "beating my head against the wall" to read and strive to understand God's word, informed by the views of others. It's a tremendous privilege to do so. My only regret is that I can't spend more time doing it, and that I wasted so many years of my life distracted by other, idolatrous things.

I meant more along the lines of - you don't have to reinvent the wheel here. It's like trying to derive our own ideas while ignoring the mountains of textbooks there are on the subject. The fathers are there; use them! I grew up in a southern baptist church, I did bible studies and all that. I am being completely honest that I have learned, really learned, more scripture from the Fathers in a few years than in decades. And not just learned it, but understood it, been able to apply it. A bishop once told me the church is like a lab, and orthopraxis is a condensed lessons-learned approach to effective spiritual practices.

I think you'd learn far more with the fathers in one hand and the bible in the other.

Quote:

Humans, even when they sit in councils or bear the title of pope, are not infallible. But even if it were established that there is an infallible human, or group of humans, won earth today, then I'd still have quite a dilemma. There are ~6 churches claiming apostolic succession (plus LDS). At least 3 claim some theory of exclusive human infallibility, vested in an individual or group or the consensus as it emerged within their own tradition. But each of those self-styled infallible bodies hold to traditions that do not square with each other on major doctrinal issues. So obviously, some of these supposedly infallible humans have erred.
You misunderstand the idea here. The holy fathers are not holy spirits. They all erred. None of them are infallible. No humans even collectively are infallible. What is infallible is the Church. Full stop. So the idea of infallibility is not like, the Spirit gives to men who give to the Church who give to us. It is, the Spirit gives to the Church, which is both Him and Us. The Church is infallible, so the measure is truth.

To be completely fair to the Roman Catholics, this is how they interpret the infallibility of the pope. They're basically saying, when speaking dogma from within the Church he can't err. But that's not about him, that's about the Church. I don't agree with that, I don't think any human ever enjoys infallibility. But there's some nuance there that I think you're glossing over.

Quote:

But could there still be one of these that actually is infallible? Well, they all hold a doctrinal position or two irreconcilable with the plain teaching of Scripture (like baptismal regeneration). Couple that with the fact that "unanimity" emerged within these churches often under threat of violence and death for dissenters, and no, I cannot be convinced that any one of the churches that claim infallibility actually are.

Only the word of God is infallible. Does that mean I've got a formula for doctrinal chaos? Apparently so. But that's a result of living as a bunch of fallen creatures. So I pray that, according to Romans 8:28, all of the chaos will ultimately work for the good of everyone who truly loves God and His Christ.
We don't worship a book my friend. We worship God. We aren't even baptized into a Church but baptized into Christ. Unamity is not the hallmark of truth; Union is. I think there is quite a bit here that is misunderstood.

Likewise, scripture is not infallible in and of itself. Generally speaking Christians do not, have never, believed that the scripture was given to us in whole or dictated word for word by God. Muslims believe this, Mormons believe this about their books. Scripture was delivered through infallible men. It's trustworthiness is borrowed from God. It is not God. So no - and understand very clearly what I'm saying here - the word of God is not infallible. The Word of God, the Logos of God is infallible. And so, what the Church does, what the fathers do, is try to do three things:

• Relate His knowable and real actions and interactions with creation faithfully and effectively
  • Confess that the divine realities about Him are ineffable, and unknowable, and beyond even conception of change or not change, knowable or not-knowable
  • And as best as possible express the truths that are supra-unknowable, that by His grace we can experience and have knowledge beyond knowledge of created things, supra-knowledge of the supra-unknowable realities of the divine. (Such as, the inner life of the Trinity, the Incarnation of God, etc.)
Cage_Stage
AG
k2aggie07 said:

But here, unlike the Calvinists, we Eastern Orthodox ancient Christians would never say that God arbitrarily chooses some and makes them elect, and he could choose anybody He wants. We do not believe in irresistible grace. We believe grace is resistible. We do not believe that the "sovereignty of God" means he could make anybody into St. Paul if he wanted to. That is simply not true, because our freedom is involved.
You use the word "could." Are you denying that God has the power to make anyone into St. Paul?

Assuming you agree that nothing is impossible for God, then what you're really saying is that He respects the will of man above His desire to see everyone saved. Scripture give scant support for the proposition that man's free will is what God cherishes above His own desire to see everyone saved.
Cage_Stage
AG
k2aggie07 said:

I already gave you two verses that have to do very specifically with the Holy Spirit coming at the laying on of hands in the post-resurrection age.
And I pointed to one where the Holy Spirit came to those who were just listening. It's almost as if the Holy Spirit is sovereign, sort of like a "wind blow[ing] where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going."
Zobel
AG
Fr Hopko is bold enough to say He can't violate our will. Not because His omnipotence is limited, but because we, by His grace, are created with this portion of divinity in us, in the divine image, with rationality and freedom.
Quote:

For God, there is no past, present, and future. All knowledge of God is in God before anything even happens. All the whole knowledge of creation, the whole knowledge of everything that could be, and would be, and how it will be, is in the divine mind of God before anything creaturely even exists. That would be a dogma of ancient Orthodox Christian faith; there is no doubt about that.

But what we want to see now is that things do not happen because God knows them, God knows them because he knows they will happen. He knows what we will freely do, but our freedom is incredibly important. It is essential to remember that. If God decides to create angels and human beings, and, in some sense, even animals, but certainly let us just focus on human beingsif God creates human beings with freedom, that we can pick and choose to decide what we do or do not dolike whether I'll go to vespers, or whether I won't; whether I will help my neighbor, or whether I don't; whether I will tell the truth, or whether I will lie; whether I will be kind to someone, or whether I will be meanI have that actual freedom.

Some writers, in fact some very important Christian writers, will say, "God will never violate the freedom of his creature. Once he gives the freedom, he will not violate it." But I think that we would have to go a step further, on the basis of Scripture and understanding of Scripture in the Tradition of our Church, by our great spiritual teachers, and that is that it is not simply the case that God will not violate our freedom. We have to say something stronger. We have to say, "God cannot violate our freedom." God cannot force us to do anything at all. He simply cannot do it.

He can do things in the natural order, for example, cause me to break my leg or something like that, but God cannot determine, in any way, how I will relate to my leg being brokenhow I will act, what I will choose, what I will do. We have this sovereign freedom given to us by God, that he not only will not violate, but he cannot violate.

What we want to focus on now is that God knows all those things. He makes us free and he knows what we will freely do, in any given circumstance, under any given possibility, within any given condition or situation, God literally knows what we will or will not do, and he knows what we will or will not do before we actually will or will not do it. But he doesn't cause us to will it, or not to will it.

If we wanted to define "divine providence"I used to like to define "divine providence," when I taught in seminary, as "God doing the best he can with what he's got, and what he's got is us." In other words, God doing his best with us, in our freedom, and we are very volatile people. Some are very faithful, and they are with God. Others are not faithful at all, and they apostatize, and they hate God and they fight against God.

Most of us, or at least a lot of us, are waffling back and forth. Sometimes we are with God, sometimes we are against God. Sometimes we believe in him, sometimes we doubt him. Sometimes we surrender to him, sometimes we flee away from him. But God knew all that. He knew all that from all eternity, and here is the point; the point is: he makes his plan on that basis. That is what he does. He orchestrates the whole thing, and he orchestrates it according to what we will or will not do, and how we will or will not be, at any given moment.

But in any case, the theological point is absolute, and it is, in my opinion, beyond doubt, as a teaching of the Church. People may doubt the teaching, but the teaching is very, very clear: God designs everything on the basis of his knowledge, his foreknowledge. Then he calls all to be with him, and then he selects the elect, whom he knows will cooperate with him freely. That's how it works.
This gets into the whole "can got make a rock He can't lift" I think.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Generally speaking Christians do not, have never, believed that the scripture was given to us in whole or dictated word for word by God.
This! I think this is something I struggled with for years, because the way it was presented in the church bodies I grew up in, it was as if it came from a word-for-word dictation by God. God-breathed does not mean God-dictated. I think this, right here, leads to so much contention among Christians.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

But even so, if we are going to use circumcision as the rule - was Abraham the rule or the exception? When were Israelites circumcised? On the 8th day, no?

I already gave you two verses that have to do very specifically with the Holy Spirit coming at the laying on of hands in the post-resurrection age. You provide some ancillary support calling on Abraham's circumcision as a one-off.
Israelites were circumcised on the 8th day. So what? Ishmael was circumcised. When did he receive the promise?

And the Holy Spirit may come at the laying on of hands. May not. That's not the design of baptism. It's a sign and seal, but not tied to that particular second.
Zobel
AG
Sure.

The Church never confesses anything other than that God is sovereign and all things work within His divine economy.

But we also have our part to play in His will, and we have these promises He promised to us. "His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature"

I don't believe you can't be saved if you're not baptized; that's God's economy, that's His purview. But I do know that baptism is salvific. That the mysteries really have grace. That Holy Communion really conveys grace, it's really for forgives of sins and to everlasting life.
Cage_Stage
AG

Quote:

We don't worship a book my friend. We worship God. We aren't even baptized into a Church but baptized into Christ. Unamity is not the hallmark of truth; Union is. I think there is quite a bit here that is misunderstood.

Likewise, scripture is not infallible in and of itself. Generally speaking Christians do not, have never, believed that the scripture was given to us in whole or dictated word for word by God. Muslims believe this, Mormons believe this about their books. Scripture was delivered through infallible men. It's trustworthiness is borrowed from God. It is not God. So no - and understand very clearly what I'm saying here - the word of God is not infallible. The Word of God, the Logos of God is infallible. And so, what the Church does, what the fathers do, is try to do three things:

• Relate His knowable and real actions and interactions with creation faithfully and effectively
  • Confess that the divine realities about Him are ineffable, and unknowable, and beyond even conception of change or not change, knowable or not-knowable
  • And as best as possible express the truths that are supra-unknowable, that by His grace we can experience and have knowledge beyond knowledge of created things, supra-knowledge of the supra-unknowable realities of the divine. (Such as, the inner life of the Trinity, the Incarnation of God, etc.)

I don't worship a book either. I worship God who has revealed Himself, among other ways, through Scripture. Yes, Scripture's reliability is borrowed from God. Yes, it's God-breathed, not dictated. But God didn't breathe error into His written revelation. God does not err, that's what makes Him alone infallible. And if the entire Bible is breathed by an infallible God, then it too is infallible.

For that reason I would disagree that Scripture was written through infallible men. It was delivered through inerrant men, and their inerrancy only derived from the fact that God was breathing His revelation to them as they recorded Scripture. We don't need infallible men, incapable of error, to inerrantly record, identify, and preserve Scripture.
Zobel
AG
Yeah, this is why the ancient tradition of baptism is:

Three exorcism prayers
Three-time rejection of Satan
Three-time confirmation that Satan has been renounced
Three-time affirmation of uniting oneself to Christ
Three-time affirmation that you have been united to Christ
A confession of believing in Him as King and God
Confession of Faith (the Symbol of Faith)
Three-time affirmation that you have been united to Christ
A physical bowing down before the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
An anointing of forehead, chest, ears, hands, and feet with oil in the sign of the cross
A three-time immersion (the actual baptism) in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
Anointing of the newly baptized with oil in the sign of the cross on the forehead, eyes, nose, lips, ears, chest, hands and feat - and each time we say "the seal of the gift of the Holy Spirit" (chrismation, i.e., laying on of hands)
A ceremonial washing of the chrism where the priest says "You are justified. You are illumined. You are sanctified. You are washed: in the Name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, and by the Spirit of our God. You are baptized. You are illumined. You have been Chrismated. You are sanctified. You are washed: in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."
And a tonsuring, where the priest cuts the hair in the form of the cross and burns it with the incense.

When I say ancient, I mean it. Most of this is almost verbatim related to us in the Apostolic Tradition of St Hippolytus of Rome, written around 215 AD.

Zobel
AG
The teaching of the Church as arbitrator of truth and divinely protected is every bit -- and actually more -- as scripturally sound as scriptures claims about itself.

It's silly to say "well God preserved the scriptures" and to ignore how he did it - that is, with the Church. And again, infallible men is your (mis)understanding.
Cage_Stage
AG
k2aggie07 said:

It's silly to say "well God preserved the scriptures" and to ignore how he did it - that is, with the Church. And again, infallible men is your (mis)understanding.
I didn't say God preserved the Scriptures. Men did so, though with the minor variations in manuscripts, they didn't always do so perfectly. If they couldn't preserve written matter perfectly, without addition or alteration, that further shakes confidence in the idea that men perfectly preserved a tradition.

Zobel
AG
Good thing we don't believe that men preserved tradition, but Christ as the continuous guide, shepherd, and leader of His Church.
dermdoc
AG
North Dallas Forty oz. said:

k2aggie07 said:

I didn't say God preserved the Scriptures. Men did so, though with the minor variations in manuscripts, they didn't always do so perfectly. If they couldn't preserve written matter perfectly, without addition or alteration, that further shakes confidence in the idea that men perfectly preserved a tradition.

But would not that damage sola scriptura? At some time, at least to me, you have to look for help in interpreting the Scriptures. And to me the Church fathers would seem the most reasonable choice.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
It's almost like the telephone game. I have greater "trust" in the message the closer it is to the source.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Cage_Stage
AG
dermdoc said:

k2aggie07 said:

But would not that damage sola scriptura?
No, the original autographs are God-breathed, not the manuscripts and translations.

Now, if your theology hinges on one of the passages that are called into question by older manuscripts, then that would be cause for reexamination. For instance, I think handling snakes and drinking poison should definitely be reconsidered, if that's part of your worship practice, based on the more recently discovered, older manuscripts.

As it stands, the manuscript variations only illustrate that men, even when banded together as a church body, make mistakes.
Quote:

At some time, at least to me, you have to look for help in interpreting the Scriptures. And to me the Church fathers would seem the most reasonable choice.
Sure, that's what the reformers aimed to do. They just didn't elevate anything else to the level of Scripture itself. The reformers' view of sola scriptura was not "me and my Bible," just as their view of sola fide was not that works play no role in salvation.

Sola scriptura is balanced between: (1) the RCC's view that church tradition is a second source of equally authoritative revelation, or the EOC's and OOC's views that Scripture is simply one derivative of the infallible church tradition, on one hand; and (2) the "solo scriptura" approach of many evangelicals on the other. Sola scriptura is not the approach of, for instance, Alexander Campbell, who once infamously said, "I have endeavored to read the scriptures as though no one had read them before me; and I am as much on my guard against reading them today, through the medium of my own views yesterday, or a week ago, as I am against being influenced by any foreign name, authority, or system."

Sola scriptura includes a respect for church fathers, but without elevating them to the level of God-breathed Scripture. It's well reflected in CS Lewis's intro in one publication of St. Athansius's "On the Incarnation," where Lewis says that for every modern book, the Christian should read an old/ancient book, as a guard against cultural preconceptions. (He goes on to joke that books from the future would also be helpful for that purpose, but they're harder to obtain.)

The reformers respect the teachings of the fathers; otherwise they wouldn't have bothered citing any of them to show that their teachings were not innovative. But the reformers also recognized that the fathers didn't all speak with one unanimous voice on all issues. If they had, we never would've had Schisms (far east & Africa / east / west), over disagreements regarding exactly what was believed always, everywhere, and by all.
dermdoc
AG
I would have a different view of reformers if the ones I knew thought like you.
AgLiving06
What canonical teachings do you think are excluded with Sola Scriptura?
Zobel
AG
Quote:

Sola scriptura includes a respect for church fathers, but without elevating them to the level of God-breathed Scripture.

This is not what we believe about the fathers. The fathers err, all of them. They're holy fathers not holy spirits. Their writing is not scripture.

Quote:

The reformers respect the teachings of the fathers; otherwise they wouldn't have bothered citing any of them to show that their teachings were not innovative. But the reformers also recognized that the fathers didn't all speak with one unanimous voice on all issues. If they had, we never would've had Schisms (far east & Africa / east / west), over disagreements regarding exactly what was believed always, everywhere, and by all.

You are extremely white washing the case during the Reformation. Some reformers referred to some teachings of some fathers, yes. But I quoted Calvin above. Where he found that he disagreed with them, he simply ignored them. And much of the reformers truly didn't have access to the majority of Patristic writing. We can tell this by how few they quote from.

As for "schisms" St Augustine is a great example. He came close to - if not outright - expressing Modalism in De Trinitate. He found himself at odds with St John Cassian and the rest of the fathers on free will. But he is not a heretic and the later eastern writers call him blessed and enlightened. You seek to drive a wedge between the fathers as an excuse for what your church fathers did. I abhor the schismatics of the Reformation and point to the unity of my church as the justification.

The fathers didn't speak with one unanimous voice on all issues, sure. And some later fathers worked to correct ambiguities in earlier fathers teachings. But what is an absolute mistake is to point to different statements by different fathers and say well they didn't speak in unison on these things so they're wrong and no one knows the answer.

There are times when St Paul appears to contradict himself, because he wrote fast and loose at certain times on certain subjects. We don't use these ambiguities as leverage against the truth of what he wrote.

Many times the fathers were writing about specific subjects or in response to a specific heresy. When they weren't, we shouldn't take a "casual" statement, if you will, and contrast it with a focused or studied one. A statement given in a homily is not the same as a prepared study against a heretical view of God. Sometimes their error was in saying the truth but being one sided, errors of omission. Sometimes they simply weren't clear enough. Sometimes they were flat out wrong.

They were human, and the theology of God is immensely difficult to systematically lay out and impossible to perfectly state. This is why St Gregory cautions so strongly that we be carefully about what we say, unless our errors are taken as dogma.

Again, instead of looking for variance our job is to look for consensus. Where we find consensus we are safe. The reformers didn't give a whit about consensus, because if they did they wouldn't have put themselves outside of the church. Even items of extremely universal acceptance such as free will, baptism of infants, confession, and Holy Communion are chopped and sliced and diced - and in many cases jettisoned entirely.

Having a different belief isn't heretical. Driving that belief to the point of schism against the church is. This is the problem of the Reformation.
AgLiving06

dermdoc said:

k2aggie07 said:

But would not that damage sola scriptura?
No, the original autographs are God-breathed, not the manuscripts and translations.

Now, if your theology hinges on one of the passages that are called into question by older manuscripts, then that would be cause for reexamination. For instance, I think handling snakes and drinking poison should definitely be reconsidered, if that's part of your worship practice, based on the more recently discovered, older manuscripts.

As it stands, the manuscript variations only illustrate that men, even when banded together as a church body, make mistakes.
Quote:

At some time, at least to me, you have to look for help in interpreting the Scriptures. And to me the Church fathers would seem the most reasonable choice.
Sure, that's what the reformers aimed to do. They just didn't elevate anything else to the level of Scripture itself. The reformers' view of sola scriptura was not "me and my Bible," just as their view of sola fide was not that works play no role in salvation.

Sola scriptura is balanced between: (1) the RCC's view that church tradition is a second source of equally authoritative revelation, or the EOC's and OOC's views that Scripture is simply one derivative of the infallible church tradition, on one hand; and (2) the "solo scriptura" approach of many evangelicals on the other. Sola scriptura is not the approach of, for instance, Alexander Campbell, who once infamously said, "I have endeavored to read the scriptures as though no one had read them before me; and I am as much on my guard against reading them today, through the medium of my own views yesterday, or a week ago, as I am against being influenced by any foreign name, authority, or system."

Sola scriptura includes a respect for church fathers, but without elevating them to the level of God-breathed Scripture. It's well reflected in CS Lewis's intro in one publication of St. Athansius's "On the Incarnation," where Lewis says that for every modern book, the Christian should read an old/ancient book, as a guard against cultural preconceptions. (He goes on to joke that books from the future would also be helpful for that purpose, but they're harder to obtain.)

Under this viewpoint, how does one come up with their Theology?

Cage_Stage
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Not really sure what you're asking. No teaching of Scripture is excluded under Sola Scriptural.
AgLiving06

AgLiving06 said:

Not really sure what you're asking. No teaching of Scripture is excluded under Sola Scriptural.

So what is excluded from RCC/EOC?
Cage_Stage
AG

Quote:

This is not what we believe about the fathers. The fathers err, all of them. They're holy fathers not holy spirits. Their writing is not scripture.
If the teachings of the fathers (alone or in some church-determined consensus) is held infallible, then they (alone or in the church-determined consensus) are treated as having the same authority as God-breathed Scripture. Infallibility is infallibility. There's no hierarchy of infallibility.
Quote:

You are extremely white washing the case during the Reformation. Some reformers referred to some teachings of some fathers, yes. But I quoted Calvin above. Where he found that he disagreed with them, he simply ignored them. And much of the reformers truly didn't have access to the majority of Patristic writing. We can tell this by how few they quote from.
I am not whitewashing anything. The Reformers cited the church fathers to show that their ideas were not novel. Your Calvin quote proves that where he found they disagreed with each other, he didn't give them much weight relative to Scripture.
Quote:

As for "schisms" St Augustine is a great example. He came close to - if not outright - expressing Modalism in De Trinitate. He found himself at odds with St John Cassian and the rest of the fathers on free will. But he is not a heretic and the later eastern writers call him blessed and enlightened. You seek to drive a wedge between the fathers as an excuse for what your church fathers did. I abhor the schismatics of the Reformation and point to the unity of my church as the justification.
The Schisms I was referring to are those in the 5th century and 11th century, resulting in multiple irreconcilable understandings of what the church fathers taught. It's not as if Sola Scriptura destroyed church unity. I don't seek to drive wedges among church fathers to justify what the Reformers did. The Schisms that predated the Reformation highlight the different understandings of patristic consensus on their own.
Quote:

The fathers didn't speak with one unanimous voice on all issues, sure. And some later fathers worked to correct ambiguities in earlier fathers teachings. But what is an absolute mistake is to point to different statements by different fathers and say well they didn't speak in unison on these things so they're wrong and no one knows the answer.
Again, instead of looking for variance our job is to look for consensus. Where we find consensus we are safe. The reformers didn't give a whit about consensus, because if they did they wouldn't have put themselves outside of the church. Even items of extremely universal acceptance such as free will, baptism of infants, confession, and Holy Communion are chopped and sliced and diced - and in many cases jettisoned entirely.

Having a different belief isn't heretical. Driving that belief to the point of schism against the church is. This is the problem of the Reformation.

Will the real patristic consensus please stand up? The EOC is not, after all, the only church that claims exclusive ownership of that. A simple explanation is that church councils of all stripes (like the admittedly sometimes-errant individuals who manned them) are fallible. A similar assertion resulted in a bounty on Luther's head--a fact which ought to call into question the authenticity of any forged consensus.

For example, the EOC says that a council is ecumenical if it's ultimately accepted by the whole church. But Chalcedon was rejected by Syria and Egypt. So, they're booted out, not gonna be in the church. This results in a circularity--the councils are ecumenical if they're accepted by the whole church, and the church is defined by acceptance of the ecumenical councils. What we end up with is an utterly autonomous church, which endorses statements like the following from Archimandrite Chrysostomos and Archimandrite Auxentios in Scripture and Tradition (Center for Traditional Orthodox Studies, 1994):
Quote:

But true authority, the action of the Holy Spirit as evidenced in the unified revelation of Scripture and Tradition, is wholly mystical. Thus advisedly (since his point can be misunderstood) we can quote Professor Hromadka's contention that: "Not even Christ should be understood and looked upon as an authority to which the Church is subordinated."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.