God's Command to Genocide certain Canaanite Tribes

14,837 Views | 293 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by canadiaggie
fwheightsboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To loosely quote Christopher Hitchens, if you want otherwise good people to do really bad things, you need religion.
Amazing Moves
Aggrad08 said:

You can go after the nazis all you like, and we did. But there is no justification for the genocide of the German people. The world is better because we didn't do that. We did what it took to win. That's why this defense is so weak it only applies to complicit adults. Genocide declares none innocent or deserving mercy. It's beneath the morality of man, let alone God.

To put it simply, to believe the Bible you must assert the greatest being in the universe, the wisest, most loving being, when confronted with sin could think of no better solution than to kill all the men, kill all the mothers, kill all the children, kill all the babies, and keep some of the Virgin women to be forced into 'marriage'. That's the OT MO. That's what the smartest most merciful being could think of? Please.
Right. Sounds like what a savage ancient tribal leader would think of.
craigernaught
AG
Retired, I generally take the same approach theologically (although I try not to assume that the real meaning of OT texts is so jesus-centric). That's the Barthian approach that I was taught anyway - that Christian theology begins and ends with God's revelation in the person and work of Jesus. Still, the danger is that we inject our own pre-conceived notion of what Jesus must have been like onto our understanding of him. I don't think there's any escape of our own biases which means that our conception of God will inevitably look like our own conception of ourselves.

I don't mean to say anything other than to give you encouragement to be aware of your own biases and to rely on others both inside and outside the church for correction. Sounds like you try to do that anyway.
PacifistAg
AG
craigernaught said:

Retired, I generally take the same approach theologically (although I try not to assume that the real meaning of OT texts is so jesus-centric). That's the Barthian approach that I was taught anyway - that Christian theology begins and ends with God's revelation in the person and work of Jesus. Still, the danger is that we inject our own pre-conceived notion of what Jesus must have been like onto our understanding of him. I don't think there's any escape of our own biases which means that our conception of God will inevitably look like our own conception of ourselves.

I don't mean to say anything other than to give you encouragement to be aware of your own biases and to rely on others both inside and outside the church for correction. Sounds like you try to do that anyway.
Agree completely w/ your 2nd paragraph. That's one thing I've noticed that as I started breaking from denominational boundaries and reading theologians/writings from other denominations, I've grown much deeper in my faith as it's started to make sense.

As for the first paragraph, I also agree, although I would probably line up strongly behind men like Barth and Balthasar, at least from what I've read. But I do agree with the warning about bringing our own biases into Scripture, even our biases of what we think Christ looks like.
PacifistAg
AG

Quote:

Genocide declares none innocent or deserving mercy. It's beneath the morality of man, let alone God.
Also, claiming that God commanded genocide, while turning around and saying that genocide is immoral, opens the door to moral relativism. And "show no mercy" also flies in the face of the teachings of the One who is the exact revelation of God's very nature that said "blessed are the merciful".
UTExan
fwheightsboy said:

To loosely quote Christopher Hitchens, if you want otherwise good people to do really bad things, you need religion.
Because we know atheism produces fine, upstanding moral citizenry driven to do charitable works by their love for, well....
kurt vonnegut
AG
UTExan said:

fwheightsboy said:

Because we know atheism produces fine, upstanding moral citizenry driven to do charitable works by their love for, well....

. . . Their fellow man.

Also, I'd say that the character of the fine upstanding atheists I know is a product of that love and not of the non-position that is atheism.
747Ag
AG
There's also this:

Some of the points from above are also made in this video. And, some of the other interpretive points in this video make sense in light of a point made by K2 with regard to the determination of what writings were deemed canonical and those deemed not to be: that which is fit for the Liturgy.
UTExan
kurt vonnegut said:

UTExan said:

fwheightsboy said:

. . . Their fellow man.

Also, I'd say that the character of the fine upstanding atheists I know is a product of that love and not of the non-position that is atheism.
Which atheists come to mind? Not baiting, just asking. The record of atheist political regimes is not pretty.
Jarrel04
Quote:

Perhaps placing a baby into the superheated arms of a metal idol and celebrating as it strangled in torturous agony appeals to certain Texag posters. The scriptures indicate that the Canaanites had become sociopathic and sadistic, treasuring the pain of their victims as a sacred act, likely led and encouraged by their demonic overlords. I have no problem with removing all traces of them from the land they despoiled with their unholy violence, much like going after those who led the slaughter in the Nazi death camps, which were in some sense more humane than the Canaan tortures.

How does this rate with beating and crucifying your sinless son to save humanity from your own wrath? Drop the whole divine command theory for a moment and think about it. Which is morally worse? Some primitive tribes killing their own babies or all knowing omnipotent god brutally beating killing his own sinless child to save us from himself?
Jarrel04
RetiredAg said:

craigernaught said:

I think it just makes more sense to assume that the people who wrote it were justifying genocide by claiming that God commanded it, but God wasn't. We use God to justify terrible things all the time. Why should the ancient Israelites be any different?

If our interpretive strategy makes God out to be a genocidal monster, then our strategy needs to change. It makes little sense to me to hold on to a view that makes God out to be a monster and then say that we just can't explain it. The explanation is simple: your hermeneutic is flawed. Maybe a more "liberal" hermeneutic creates other problems, but it does avoid the whole "God commands the murder of babies" one.
Exactly. I strongly believe that the first question that should be asked is "does it look like Christ crucified?" If the answer is no, then dig deeper. I think you'd like Crucifixion of the Warrior God which is a detailed look at the violent passages of the OT and how they testify to Christ. I know many are turned off by Greg Boyd's open theism, but this book does not really touch on that, at least so far. It's all about developing and using a cruciform hermeneutic.

TBH, I have been smiling nonstop since reading it. I'm about 250 pages in and those 250 pages have been focused on laying the foundation of the belief that Christ is the hermeneutic key to all Scripture and that the cross is the hermeneutic key to Christ. So, it's been basically 250 pages so far of reading about how amazing Christ is and why our entire faith centers on Him on the cross. Can't help but get pumped reading about Jesus.

Do you not see that your hermeneutic assumes and requires god be perfect and righteous thus you dismiss any evidence to the contrary and seek any alternative explanation to justify your preconceived position? This isn't digging deeper or being investigative. It's rationalizing. You've set up a premise you are insisting your world and theology revolve around. You insist that anything that counters that premise is false so there must be an alternative or it must be mystery.

I don't want to be crass or terse but the hermeneutic you are using could be applied to anything. You could define Kim Jong Un as being perfectly good then rationalize anything away. You're leaving yourself no room for any critical thought.

You are asserting a "truth" then molding your entire world view around it. This isn't how truth works. You don't assume the truth then disregard all evidence contrary to your truth as confused or errant.

It's a classic situation ofconfirmation bias. What fits your predetermined narrative is true. What doesn't is false. What you can't explain is mystery. You would never grant this hermeneutic to another faith or world view.
Zobel
AG
This is a very deformed soteriology, a straw man. No one believes Jesus died to "save us from God".
Jarrel04
k2aggie07 said:

This is a very deformed soteriology, a straw man. No one believes Jesus died to "save us from God".

I would argue you have deformed excuses. What are we saved from? Omnipotent god could remove that thing easily at no cost. You don't like the phrasing but with the Christian god it's a perfectly legitimate construct.

Furthermore there is absolutely no need for god to kill his son to save us from anything. There is no reason Jesus must die for salvation. God can grant salvation without murdering his son. It's a silly concept.
Zobel
AG
Ooh, you really got that straw man good this time! Hit it again!
Zobel
AG
To answer your question, death.

The apparent conflict between God's love and omnipotence and man's free will isn't a fresh take.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

Do you not see that your hermeneutic assumes and requires god be perfect and righteous thus you dismiss any evidence to the contrary and seek any alternative explanation to justify your preconceived position?
Wait, your criticism is that a Christian hermeneutic operates on the assumption that God is perfect and righteous? What Christian hermeneutic doesn't start with that assumption?

I don't "dismiss" evidence. When a portrait of God looks nothing like Christ, who is the exact revelation of God, then one needs to dig deeper to better understand the "evidence". It's not dismissing it, but trying to understand it in a way that is consistent with the portrait of God revealed through Christ on the cross.
good nuggets
AG
Did anyone (from either side of this circular debate) actually watch the video in the OP??

The only argument that should be going on in this thread is weather or not you believe the Canaanites were actually human.

If the Canaanite tribes were the fallen angels attempt to prevent the coming of the Christ.. God would obviously snuff them out.

By the way.. watch OP videos before hijacking threads. ty

Jarrel04
RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Do you not see that your hermeneutic assumes and requires god be perfect and righteous thus you dismiss any evidence to the contrary and seek any alternative explanation to justify your preconceived position?
Wait, your criticism is that a Christian hermeneutic operates on the assumption that God is perfect and righteous? What Christian hermeneutic doesn't start with that assumption?

I don't "dismiss" evidence. When a portrait of God looks nothing like Christ, who is the exact revelation of God, then one needs to dig deeper to better understand the "evidence". It's not dismissing it, but trying to understand it in a way that is consistent with the portrait of God revealed through Christ on the cross.

Do you not see that with this reasoning you could turn any person place or thing into god? It doesn't allow for you to be wrong because the answer is predetermined and any contrary evidence is just misunderstood.
kurt vonnegut
AG
UTExan said:

kurt vonnegut said:

UTExan said:

fwheightsboy said:

. . . Their fellow man.

Which atheists come to mind? Not baiting, just asking. The record of atheist political regimes is not pretty.

As stated, the atheists I had in mind were those that I know. Atheism is neither a position for or against genocide, murder, theft, or any other moral issue. It is a moral null set. As such, the character of the atheists I know is not produced by their atheism, but rather by the moral philosophy (not atheism) that they adopt.

And what does keeping score of bad stuff done by atheist regimes vs bad stuff done by Christian regimes accomplish? A conclusion that both positions suck and lead to violence? And both sides defending their own by saying that those that did those bad things don't actually represent their side?
PacifistAg
AG
Jarrel04 said:

RetiredAg said:

Quote:

Do you not see that with this reasoning you could turn any person place or thing into god? It doesn't allow for you to be wrong because the answer is predetermined and any contrary evidence is just misunderstood.
People turn things into gods all the time. My concern is to have a consistent reading of Scripture, which is based on the core belief that God is perfect and righteous and that God looks like Christ. Genocidal portraits of God do not look anything like Christ, and since He's the "radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature", there must be something else going on in those texts. That's what a cruciform hermeneutic is meant to address. Yes, there are assumptions made, but that's part of faith.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

The record of atheist political regimes is not pretty.
FIFY

Atheist or not, the record of political regimes throughout the history of mankind is not pretty.
kurt vonnegut
AG
good nuggets said:

Did anyone (from either side of this circular debate) actually watch the video in the OP??

The only argument that should be going on in this thread is weather or not you believe the Canaanites were actually human.

If the Canaanite tribes were the fallen angels attempt to prevent the coming of the Christ.. God would obviously snuff them out.

Sorry for my part in the derailment. I watched about half the video. I would have watched more, but it burned my ears the way holy water burns my skin.

Even if the Canaanites were demons or fallen angels or something of the sort, I might still question the decision to ask the Israelites to carryout the dirty work? And here is where his analogy half way through gets all twisted - in the Canaanites story, God isn't a father sitting in their kids room telling them that they will do everything in their power to protect them from an intruder. He is a father handing his son a sword and telling him to kill any MFers that break into their house and to then go hunt their children and families because their lives have no value.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

There's so much baseless speculation here, it's hard to know where to start. First and foremost, there is no consensus view of who the Nephilim really are. Some people say they are the offspring of fallen angels and human women, but I the Bible never comes out and says this. The term Sons of God can mean many different things, and that label is even used by Christ to refer to Christians in the Gospel.

So let's assume the Nephilim are angel/human hybrids for arguments sake. According to Genesis, only Noah and his family survived the Flood. So for there to be Nephilim afterward, either some Nephilim had to survive or these fallen angels had to produce new offspring. Now we have to take this one step further and say that all men, women, and children in Canaan are all offspring of these hybrids, and none of them could possibly be redeemed in any way. You're saying that their fallen angel ancestry, no matter how diluted or remote, completely overcomes the free will of their humanity and makes them God hating sociopaths.

Aside from the house of cards built from many speculative conclusions, the video is extremely disturbing. After all, humanity has a long history of atrocities justified by thinking of other people as less than human. It happened with black people, it happened with the Holocaust, it happened in Rowanda, and it keeps happening. The assumption of Christians should be that we are all equal children of God with the opportunity for redemption, not that some people are irredeemable monsters better off dead.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

There's so much baseless speculation here, it's hard to know where to start. First and foremost, there is no consensus view of who the Nephilim really are. Some people say they are the offspring of fallen angels and human women, but I the Bible never comes out and says this. The term Sons of God can mean many different things, and that label is even used by Christ to refer to Christians in the Gospel.

So let's assume the Nephilim are angel/human hybrids for arguments sake. According to Genesis, only Noah and his family survived the Flood. So for there to be Nephilim afterward, either some Nephilim had to survive or these fallen angels had to produce new offspring. Now we have to take this one step further and say that all men, women, and children in Canaan are all offspring of these hybrids, and none of them could possibly be redeemed in any way. You're saying that their fallen angel ancestry, no matter how diluted or remote, completely overcomes the free will of their humanity and makes them God hating sociopaths.

Aside from the house of cards built from many speculative conclusions, the video is extremely disturbing. After all, humanity has a long history of atrocities justified by thinking of other people as less than human. It happened with black people, it happened with the Holocaust, it happened in Rowanda, and it keeps happening. The assumption of Christians should be that we are all equal children of God with the opportunity for redemption, not that some people are irredeemable monsters better off dead.
RangerRick9211
AG
The flood brought by God killed millions. It was much larger in scope than the genocide of the Canaanites.

I rationally understand the appeal to God's authority. But to me, it does contradict God's goodness and common grace. The only argument I buy is: God has morally sufficient reasons to bring about or issue the command; even if we will never know them. To disagree you would have to demonstrate or prove logically that the probability of God having morally sufficient reason is equal to zero. I don't think that's possible.
craigernaught
AG

Quote:

I rationally understand the appeal to God's authority. But to me, it does contradict God's goodness and common grace. The only argument I buy is: God has morally sufficient reasons to bring about or issue the command; even if we will never know them. To disagree you would have to demonstrate or prove logically that the probability of God having morally sufficient reason is equal to zero. I don't think that's possible.

Or you could just say that it didn't happen. Considering the historical problems with the source, this is the likely scenario. You don't have to justify divine ordained genocide if the genocide never happened or if the divine never ordained it in the first place.

The problematic assumption here is that the text is accurately describing a historical event. There's absolutely no reason to assume this is the case.
UTExan
Jarrel04 said:

Quote:

Perhaps placing a baby into the superheated arms of a metal idol and celebrating as it strangled in torturous agony appeals to certain Texag posters. The scriptures indicate that the Canaanites had become sociopathic and sadistic, treasuring the pain of their victims as a sacred act, likely led and encouraged by their demonic overlords. I have no problem with removing all traces of them from the land they despoiled with their unholy violence, much like going after those who led the slaughter in the Nazi death camps, which were in some sense more humane than the Canaan tortures.

How does this rate with beating and crucifying your sinless son to save humanity from your own wrath? Drop the whole divine command theory for a moment and think about it. Which is morally worse? Some primitive tribes killing their own babies or all knowing omnipotent god brutally beating killing his own sinless child to save us from himself?
In fact, sacrificing God's own self in place of human beings was the point of the crucifixion. The entire panoramic sweep of history revolves around the battle between God and the rebellious archangel Satan and his minions. To deal with Satan requires a standard of justice consistent with the integrity of God-God's nature and character. Since mankind was fallen through Satan's corrupting influence, it took a divine act to restore mankind to a position of legal justification through Jesus Christ. The OT is full of this imagery of the sin of mankind:
Quote:

"After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors" (Isaiah 53:1-12).
Jesus had to explain this very issue to his disciples constantly, as well as to the people of Israel, who wanted a conqueror to overthrow the Romans. That was not the plan of God then and Israel mostly rejected Jesus at the time despite his preaching, healing and miracles.
RangerRick9211
AG
craigernaught said:

Quote:

Or you could just say that it didn't happen. Considering the historical problems with the source, this is the likely scenario. You don't have to justify divine ordained genocide if the genocide never happened or if the divine never ordained it in the first place.

The problematic assumption here is that the text is accurately describing a historical event. There's absolutely no reason to assume this is the case.
So trade the problem of God ordained genocide for errant scripture?

Inerrancy doesn't mean everything is literally true; but what the Bible teaches is true or affirms to be true is true. I think you have to give up inerrancy to believe this never happened.
PacifistAg
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

craigernaught said:

Quote:

So trade the problem of God ordained genocide for errant scripture?

Inerrancy doesn't mean everything is literally true; but what the Bible teaches is true or affirms to be true is true. I think you have to give up inerrancy to believe this never happened.
I don't think you have to trade a genocidal God for errant scripture. All scripture inerrantly points, or testifies, to the crucified Christ. The key is finding out how these OT depictions of a genocidal God do that. I agree w/ Greg Boyd, and countless other theologians, that the key to understanding is through reading all scripture through the lens of the cross. The cross is the hermeneutic key to understand Christ, and Christ is the hermeneutic key to understand all scripture. That's a challenge though, but I always come back to the fact that God looks like Christ. That's made clear when Christ answers Philip and in Hebrews. So, if you believe all scripture testifies to Christ crucified, and you believe that God looks like Christ, then you have to be willing to reevaluate (or dig deeper into) the violent portraits of God that look nothing like Christ.

A great example of the contradiction we see in the portraits is God supposedly commanding the Israelites to show no mercy, yet Christ tells us that "blessed are the merciful". The first cannot look like the second, and since the second is the ultimate and authoritative portrait of God through Christ, we must reevaluate the first through a cruciform lens.
craigernaught
AG
I'm not sure how giving up inerrancy is even close to being as problematic as accepting a God who commands genocide.

There are a thousand reasons to not believe in an inerrant scripture, but even if you leave out that historical claims are often counter to the available evidence, divine commanded genocide should be enough.

UTExan
kurt vonnegut said:

good nuggets said:

Sorry for my part in the derailment. I watched about half the video. I would have watched more, but it burned my ears the way holy water burns my skin.

Even if the Canaanites were demons or fallen angels or something of the sort, I might still question the decision to ask the Israelites to carryout the dirty work? And here is where his analogy half way through gets all twisted - in the Canaanites story, God isn't a father sitting in their kids room telling them that they will do everything in their power to protect them from an intruder. He is a father handing his son a sword and telling him to kill any MFers that break into their house and to then go hunt their children and families because their lives have no value.
I am glad the video disturbed you---not for shock value, but introducing a different soteriological viewpoint. Our seminaries have done a terrible job of educating clergy about demonology, the role of Satan and the fall of man.
If yo will go to about the 20:00 mark, your question about God using human agents to do His work is addressed. If you look throughout the Bible, you find references to divine councils---literally heavenly beings who decide in council what things will happen. Noah was used to build an ark of safety; in the New Testament we have the parable of the tenants in Matthew 21 where the tenants kill even the son of the property owner.
Woody2006
AG
good nuggets said:

The only question we should be discussing is whether an entire people were really the spawn of angels?

That's about the most stupid attempt at rationalizing away God's wrathful nature that I've ever seen.
good nuggets
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

Quote:

There's so much baseless speculation here, it's hard to know where to start. First and foremost, there is no consensus view of who the Nephilim really are. Some people say they are the offspring of fallen angels and human women, (1) but I the Bible never comes out and says this. The term Sons of God can mean many different things, and that label is even used by Christ to refer to Christians in the Gospel.

So let's assume the Nephilim are angel/human hybrids for arguments sake. According to Genesis, only Noah and his family survived the Flood. So for there to be Nephilim afterward, either some Nephilim had to survive or these fallen angels had to produce new offspring. Now we have to take this one step further and say that all men, women, and children in Canaan are all offspring of these hybrids, and none of them could possibly be redeemed in any way. (2) You're saying that their fallen angel ancestry, no matter how diluted or remote, completely overcomes the free will of their humanity and makes them God hating sociopaths.

(1) I would argue this point. (more in depth post to follow)

(2) That is an excellent summary of the argument. It's not like being 1/36 charokee...

(3) I think that this topic fits perfectly into a cruciform hermeneutic. The mating of fallen angels with human women is just one more attempt from satan to prevent the coming of Christ. RetiredAg this is a response to you as well.
kurt vonnegut
AG
UTExan said:

kurt vonnegut said:

good nuggets said:

I am glad the video disturbed you---not for shock value, but introducing a different soteriological viewpoint. Our seminaries have done a terrible job of educating clergy about demonology, the role of Satan and the fall of man.
If yo will go to about the 20:00 mark, your question about God using human agents to do His work is addressed. If you look throughout the Bible, you find references to divine councils---literally heavenly beings who decide in council what things will happen. Noah was used to build an ark of safety; in the New Testament we have the parable of the tenants in Matthew 21 where the tenants kill even the son of the property owner.

Gotcha. Killing a bunch of demons and their evil spawn was a team building experience.
schmendeler
AG
what does angel dna look like? is it made of ATCG? so silly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.