Why did the Reformers/Protestants change Mass ( service) proceedings so drastically?

12,255 Views | 249 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by texag_89
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When you reject the episcopate, you open up the idea to reject the priesthood.
When you reject the priesthood, you open up the idea to reject the liturgy.
When you reject the liturgy, you open up to rejecting the sacraments.
When you reject the sacraments, you open up to rejecting anything that doesn't match your interpretation of scripture.
When you are a church unto yourself, you become agnostic.

Don't reject the episcopate.
747Ag
AG
Frok said:

Furlock Bones said:

this thread has strayed quite far from the original issue of why the reformers decided the Mass/Divine Liturgy whatever you want to call it needed to be changed after 1500.

no one has yet to give a real answer to that. i understand the reformation and what they were attempting to do. i just don't see a real answer as to why the worship service needed changing.

Perhaps there isn't a simple answer
Or, perhaps it is simple as this: specific changes in theology necessitate a change in worship. If the Eucharist is not Christ, then the Mass (Divine Liturgy) is idolatry.

Lex orandi; lex credendi.
AgLiving06
swimmerbabe11 said:

I like Hilary of Poitiers. My pastor does a devotion each morning with his commentary, an excerpt from a church father and a BIble verse. It may be a little easier to consume. He also has a book called A Year with the Church Fathers.

This was today's
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1101459756774&ca=b26e9a58-f414-4dd4-9065-b531fcd0b476

Note, I'm not RCC or EO...I'm LCMS Lutheran.

I'm curious to read about Luther's view of the "Fathers" before him.

Best I can tell from google searches is he used quotes consistent with his views and ignored others. Curious to see Lutheran sources.
Furlock Bones
AG
747Ag said:

Frok said:

Furlock Bones said:

this thread has strayed quite far from the original issue of why the reformers decided the Mass/Divine Liturgy whatever you want to call it needed to be changed after 1500.

no one has yet to give a real answer to that. i understand the reformation and what they were attempting to do. i just don't see a real answer as to why the worship service needed changing.

Or, perhaps it is simple as this: specific changes in theology necessitate a change in worship. If the Eucharist is not Christ, then the Mass (Divine Liturgy) is idolatry.

So the Church from the literal first days was committing idolatry?
747Ag
AG
Furlock Bones said:

747Ag said:

Frok said:

Furlock Bones said:

So the Church from the literal first days was committing idolatry?
We often get accused of idolatry, but not for the right reasons. Such is life.
texag_89
The answer to the OPs question is easy:

Demonic possession that leads to putting man above God.

Don't worry though, if the Modernist have their way, it will all be one, big homogeneous service focused on man and perhaps being led by the Vicar of Christ himself, sadly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.