Why did the Reformers/Protestants change Mass ( service) proceedings so drastically?

12,269 Views | 249 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by texag_89
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You back up your positions whit quotes from the church fathers all of the time. These men also defended their faith by showing where they were consistent with the fathers.

I hazard to guess Luther and Augustine and Ambrose and Iraneaus would have very interesting Table Talks, We all have much to learn from each other, guided by the Scriptures.
Zobel
AG
But I don't take portions of the fathers and say they're wrong about this or that. I am in submission to them, I don't edit their writings.
swimmerbabe11
You didn't, but not every single thing they wrote was preserved either. People made decisions about what to keep, what to preserve, what to pass down. That's not different than the way writings were preserved in the Book of Concord, which I in submission to in quia confessional manner.
Zobel
AG
You can make the exact same argument about the Holy Scriptures. And of course you wind up in the same place. Tradition preserves the Truth, orthodoxy prevails, or we're all lost.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

k2aggie07 said:

The scriptures don't speak for themselves. They require interpretation.
Are you saying the Holy Spirit cannot speak to me through the Scriptures? That's what I mean by "reach".

There are over 100 versions of the Bible in English alone.

Yes, you absolutely need outside guidance.
I never said I didn't.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Furlock Bones said:

The fathers, the early Church, and the Councils determined what was and was not scripture. You believe that God speaks to us directly through the scriptures. It was divinely inspired. So, then you must accept that the very people that determined what was scripture were themselves divinely guided.
I do.

Quote:

so to recap, you don't reject the fathers' teachings because you accept the scripture, but you do reject the fathers' teachings because you can interpret for yourself what God said in the scriptures that the early Church determined was scripture.
No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

furthermore, nowhere in the Catholic faith (this is RCC and OCC united) does the Church say God does not speak to individuals directly. We both venerate Saints that received the word of God directly.
Good, but it sure does read that way.
tehmackdaddy
AG
k2aggie07 said:

No, the faith as in the total faith. Christ did not deliver just the gospel to the saints. He spent forty days after the resurrection with the Apostles "speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God". He told them to stay in the city "until you are clothed with power from on high." Before He died, He told the disciples there were things He couldn't explain to them. But after, He promised the Spirit who would "guide them into all the truth". Not some. All. And of course, at Pentecost, they were given the Spirit. The Faith was delivered once, for all. All of it, everything sufficient for salvation and knowledge in Christ. The Apostles didn't teach a theology that was lacking in any way for salvation. The words St Paul, St Peter, St Andrew, St James, St Jude, and all the rest spoke were complete.

You can, of course, read and interpret the scriptures. The Spirit can inspire you to explain, teach, expand on the truths within. But those truths can't refute the Truth, because they are icons or representations of Him, and He is the Truth. So an interpretation that refutes what the Apostles delivered can't be true, and obviously isn't permissible.
I agree.
Furlock Bones
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

The fathers, the early Church, and the Councils determined what was and was not scripture. You believe that God speaks to us directly through the scriptures. It was divinely inspired. So, then you must accept that the very people that determined what was scripture were themselves divinely guided.
I do.

Quote:

so to recap, you don't reject the fathers' teachings because you accept the scripture, but you do reject the fathers' teachings because you can interpret for yourself what God said in the scriptures that the early Church determined was scripture.
No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

furthermore, nowhere in the Catholic faith (this is RCC and OCC united) does the Church say God does not speak to individuals directly. We both venerate Saints that received the word of God directly.
please expound on the bold.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

I do.

Quote:

No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

"It isn't a rejection of what the fathers taught us, it is the rejection that God can't speak to us other than what they taught us."

There seems to be this prevalent misconception that Protestants reject Catholicism and Orthodoxy in their entirety and started an entirely new Christianity. That isn't true at all. As I've stated in the past, Protestants agree with 99% of Catholicism and Orthodoxy. We didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, we took a step back, kept what we could verify, and skeptically analyzed the rest, reserving the non-scriptural teaching for "we can't be certain of that."

A big reason for the revolt was the attitude of, "you can't read for yourself, you can't think for yourself." I firmly believe that isn't what God wants and the Church now seems to have aligned that way as well.
Furlock Bones
AG
for your information, i grew up in the United Methodist Chruch and spent many a Sunday in the Baptist church as well.

Furlock Bones
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

I do.

Quote:

No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

"It isn't a rejection of what the fathers taught us, it is the rejection that God can't speak to us other than what they taught us."

There seems to be this prevalent misconception that Protestants reject Catholicism and Orthodoxy in their entirety and started an entirely new Christianity. That isn't true at all. As I've stated in the past, Protestants agree with 99% of Catholicism and Orthodoxy. We didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, we took a step back, kept what we could verify, and skeptically analyzed the rest, reserving the non-scriptural teaching for "we can't be certain of that."

A big reason for the revolt was the attitude of, "you can't read for yourself, you can't think for yourself." I firmly believe that isn't what God wants and the Church now seems to have aligned that way as well.
this is not actually historically vey accurate. it stems from the false argument that Rome would not translate the bible from Latin to English. in fact, priests had translated parts of the bible (mainly new Testament) to Old English centuries prior to the reformation.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Furlock Bones said:

for your information, i grew up in the United Methodist Chruch and spent many a Sunday in the Baptist church as well.

The Methodists were too liberal for me and I've never been Baptist.
Furlock Bones
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

The Methodists were too liberal for me and I've never been Baptist.
that's great. i'm just informing you of my background in that i have experienced portions of the largest sects of Protestantism.
tehmackdaddy
AG
Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

I do.

Quote:

No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

this is not actually historically vey accurate. it stems from the false argument that Rome would not translate the bible from Latin to English. in fact, priests had translated parts of the bible (mainly new Testament) to Old English centuries prior to the reformation.

It's very accurate, but there are those trying to rewrite history to make the Church seem more inclusive and compassionate.
Furlock Bones
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

I do.

Quote:

No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

It's very accurate, but there are those trying to rewrite history to make the Church seem more inclusive and compassionate.
no, it's really not. it's a false premise built on the sola scriptura belief.

it gets back to arguments of the Christ's Truth delivered to the Church. The fullness of the Truth includes but is not limited to the scriptural text. The fullness of the Truth includes the Sacraments, the Traditions, etc.

The RCC felt delivering Mass in one language every where would be unitive. The OCC always felt the Truth should be delivered in the local language. (Vatican 2 affirmed this is probably most correct).

AgLiving06
k2aggie07 said:

They did. Some of the Lutherans made friends with a Greek deacon, who translated the Augsburg confession to Greek and presented it to Patriarch (of Constantinople) Joasaph II in 1559. The patriarch found the doctrines to be potentially heretical and declined to even respond out -- the idea was that it would be kinder to be silent than to refute. The deacon Demetrius died, and that ended the matter.

Later in 1570 the German Ambassador had a new copy presented to the new Patriarch Jeremiah II. Some articles he agreed with, some he disagreed. He sent a formal response. They wrote back three more times, and two times he answered. But, they would not accept his judgment against their confession. Some of his points they flat disagreed with, some they tried to present their ideas as identical teaching in different words. After their third letter, he wrote "Go your own way and do not send us further letters on doctrine but only letters written for the sake of friendship" citing Titus 3:10. He didn't respond to the fourth attempt.

You can read some excerpts here.

http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_luther.aspx

http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/faithalone.aspx

https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/onbehalfofall/how-the-german-orthodox-church-alm/

For anybody wanting to read more on this and orthodox history. Kallistos Ware's book "the Orthodox Church" goes into all of this (with the same quote).
Furlock Bones
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Quote:

As England was consolidated under the House of Wessex, led by descendants of Alfred the Great and Edward the Elder, translations continued. King Alfred (849899) circulated a number of passages of the Bible in the vernacular. These included passages from the Ten Commandments and the Pentateuch, which he prefixed to a code of laws he promulgated around this time. Alfred is also said to have directed the Book of Psalms to have been translated into Old English, though scholars are divided on Alfredian authorship of the Paris Psalter collection of the first fifty Psalms.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_Bible_translations#cite_note-FOOTNOTEColgrave1958-12][12][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_Bible_translations#cite_note-FOOTNOTETreschowGillSwartz2012-13][13][/url]
Between 950 and 970, Aldred the Scribe added a gloss in the Northumbrian dialect of Old English (the Northumbrian Gloss on the Gospels) to the Lindisfarne Gospels as well as a foreword describing who wrote and decorated it. Its version of The Lord's Prayer is as follows:
Suae onne iuih gie bidde fader urer u ar u bist in heofnum & in heofnas; sie gehalgad noma in; to-cyme ric in. sie willo in suae is in heofne & in eoro. hlaf userne oferwistlic sel us to dg. & forgef us scylda usra suae uoe forgefon scyldgum usum. & ne inld usih in costunge ah gefrig usich from yfle
At around the same time (~950970), a priest named Farman wrote a gloss on the Gospel of Matthew that is preserved in a manuscript called the Rushworth Gospels.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_Bible_translations#cite_note-FOOTNOTEStevensonWaring1854.E2.80.931865-14][14][/url]
Zobel
AG
tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

tehmackdaddy said:

Furlock Bones said:

I do.

Quote:

No, that isn't accurate.

Quote:

My experience, being raised baptist, is not the same as yours. But you just can't lump protestants into one group. Baptists reject all of the Holy Mysteries (sacraments) and basically any writings that aren't the Bible, but confessional Lutherans hold to a great deal of orthodox beliefs.

Regardless, the whole concept of "stepping back and re-evaluating" is just fraught with all kinds of trouble. Verify? How can you verify when the contents that have been preserved were preserved with intent? And what is the standard by which you can verify? Logic? What is the basis of your analysis, what are you able to check against?

Of course protestantism threw the baby out with the bathwater. How often does your church quote St Athanasius? OK, maybe you've read On the Incarnation...What about St Clement of Alexandria? How about St Gregory the Theologian? Ooh -- St Symeon the New Theologian? St Maximos the Confessor? Not likely, because almost nothing that most of the fathers wrote supports (most) protestant soteriology, ecclesiology, worship, etc. Who is silly enough to quote a bishop as authoritative when they don't think that bishops should even be a thing? Why would you quote a monastic when you don't believe in monks? Or a man who maintained his virginity when most protestants teach that marriage and virginity are the same? Why would you quote a person who believed in theosis, in the efficacy of baptism and mysteries, when your church (depending on your flavor) may reject all of the above?

What has been kept? The Bible that the Church preserved for you, the doctrine of the Trinity, and the Gregorian calendar (stripped of the feast and fast days except for Easter and Christmas!). You really think that's 99%? I can tell you from my personal experience it's not.

Your whole concept of the revolt / reformation is euro-centric. The Orthodox church has been doing it's thing, with no reformation, since 33 AD. And no one has ever suggested you can't read for yourself or think for yourself. It's you can't be an apostle by yourself, you're not allowed to be a bishop over a church of one. You don't get to define a personal theology, because Christ is not a "personal savior" but the savior of the whole world and the head of the Church.

For example, I was reading St Basil today (does it show?) and when offering advice to a person who was considering being a monk, he said "Never neglect reading, especially of the New Testament". The Orthodox church loves the Scriptures.

St Cyril shows the correct approach when he lectures to catechumen. He says this:
Quote:

Not even the least of the divine and holy mysteries of the faith ought to be handed down without the divine Scriptures. Do not simply give faith to me speaking these things to you except you have the proof of what I say from the divine Scriptures. For the security and preservation of our faith are not supported by ingenuity of speech, but by the proofs of the divine Scriptures.
And he also says this:

Quote:

But in learning the Faith and in professing it, acquire and keep that only, which is now delivered to thee by the Church, and which has been built up strongly out of all the Scriptures...take heed then, brethren, and hold fast the traditions which ye now receive, and write them and the table of your heart.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
It seems to me that the differences in soteriology alone, to say nothing of sola fide and sola scriptura, makes a claim of "99% similarity" with RCC and OCC mathematically false.
AgLiving06
tehmackdaddy said:

k2aggie07 said:

The scriptures don't speak for themselves. They require interpretation.
Are you saying the Holy Spirit cannot speak to me through the Scriptures? That's what I mean by "reach".

If I use this logic, the Mormonism and Jehovah Witness can all be justified as "the Holy Spirit speaking to them through Scriptures" right?

Where's the line in your opinion?
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
It's a nice story, but it's unfortunately not true. The canon was pretty flexible for some time, and books that had huge widespread influence ultimately aren't in the Bible (wisdom of solomon, gospel of James, shepherd of hermas) but are also not spurious or heretical. The issue of canon was even being debated in the reformation (Luther didn't want James or Esther included). It's a bit tautological, and anachronistic.

Anyway, this whole concept is kind of silly when you think of it. The early church didn't have the whole canon. Before the printing press it never was in one book. Today, we Orthodox still don't use "the Bible" but a handful of individual books for liturgical use (the gospel, the epistles, etc). And, incidentally, that's exactly how the canon was defined - books suitable for liturgical use, not an all-inclusive / exclusive list of books useful for "preaching teaching rebuking and correcting".

Even the OT prophets were confirmed by the Sanhedrin.

At the end of the day, Christ didn't deliver a book. He didn't dictate a message (as the Muslims or Mormons claim) to a prophet. He delivered a faith, to men who delivered both teaching and written instruction. The faith came first, and the written instructions illuminated the faithful. This is abundantly clear from scripture and history.

Otherwise, we aren't left with the sad conclusion that God cared nothing for the teaching and instruction of the majority of his Apostles. Or, even sadder, that the people they preached to missed out on the "real" instruction that came later. Or, confusingly, we today inherit a different mode of instruction, belief, faith, than the first Christians.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
Well, it's kind of useless to have a bible established by God that stands as the final judgment for all matters if He doesn't get around to letting people know just what is and isn't in the Bible for a few centuries, isn't it?

Let's flip the script. If councils and church fathers don't ratify, then how do we know just what is and isn't scripture? You also discarded "widespread use" (which of course is a litmus test for canonicty). So what are we left with? Divine inspiration, as revealed by....?

Evidence for what was and wasn't, is that many churches read the epistles written to them. Eusebius records certain churches reading letters written to them by some father or another in liturgy as evidence for the authenticity of the text. Depends on when you cut the line on "early".

And the fathers having copious texts is sort of irrelevant. If you ask them, wisdom of Solomon, or Baruch are scripture for many. Who are you to say they're wrong? By what standard?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
This is kinda funny, in a way.

Ok - granted that what's in the NT is scripture. Why? Because St Paul and St Peter say so, you say.

Well, duh. Exactly. And why do I care about their opinions? Because they were Apostles - one received dirext instruction from Christ in the flesh, the other from the Holy Spirit. And why do I care about the fathers? Because they were bishops divinely inspired and guided by the same Spirit to defend the same faith.

Do you think the Spirit just abandoned us sometime after the last book in the NT was written?

Give me your criteria then. You say God preserved it, ok. How do you know? Is the existence of the book itself prima facie evidence in your opinion? If so, you have to wait around for that book to exists to be evidence. Can the canon exist before the list of what's in it exist? The whole premise is ridiculous.

What did the fathers and the faithful use before the books were compiled?

And, dude, my point exactly is that no church council in orthodoxy has EVER ratified a canon. Some local synods approved NT texts for liturgical use. Which council vote are you referring to?
Zobel
AG
Sorry I'm out and not communicating well. I'll organize my thoughts better later, but short version:

The faith is, it was delivered once, intact, complete, universal (the true meaning of catholic). This is dogmatic fact, and truly the faith is Christ, He is the author and perfector of it; the basis and expression. He IS truth incarnate.

This faith produced scripture and tradition.

The fathers both taught and wrote in defense of and to expand and explain the faith.

The councils ratified these defenses and explanations.

Holy Tradition contains scripture, scripture is the bedrock of it, the crown jewel of Tradition. But Holy Scripture without Tradition, apart from it, makes no sense.
Zobel
AG
Wanted to ask about this -- this Concordia Seminary doc (which is the source for the wikipedia reference) says:
Quote:

A first observation to that issue (i.e., sending the Eucharist to the absent) is the basic fact that the communion from the reserved elements is an innovation in The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. A short survey of the textbooks on pastoral theology demonstrates this. In his classical treatment, C. F. W. Walther gives detailed advice on how the pastor is to celebrate the Lord's Supper at the home of the sick, including the remark that the pastor should at least wear preaching tabs (if he does not wear his preaching gown, including tabs, which Walther seems to presume as the regular case), but any idea that anybody else but the pastor should commune the sick with the reserved sacrament is absent. That Walther did not simply forget this option is obvious from his quotation of Deyling's Institutio prudentiae pastoralis in his section on consecration: "The holy elements, consecrated by the pastor, can neither be reserved nor sent to those absent, which was a bad habit of some in the early Church."

In his Pastoral Theology, John H. C. Fritz also presupposes that when the sick are communed, the elements are consecrated immediately before the communion. Like Walther, he explicitly rejects the idea that the sacrament be reserved. Proceeding in time, in 1960, The Pastor at Work was published, a collective effort of pastors and professors in the Missouri Synod. It explicitly states that elements that have been consecrated in the congregational service and have not been consumed can be used for the communion of the sick, but they have to be "reconsecrated".
I think this may be what Furlock is referring to.

This is different than both the Roman and Orthodox practice, where the change is irrevocable. And another distinction is not only that the gifts can't be reconsecrated at all, but that a priest acting alone away from an altar and the parish (that is to say, outside of the context of the Divine Liturgy) can't (shouldn't?) invoke the gifts anyway.
swimmerbabe11
I'd have to consult my pastor to know exactly, but my understanding is that nothing is "re-invoked"
Now, all of the blood is consumed at the end of service, I do know that. I'm not entirely sure about the bread. I believe that when the pastor takes communion wine and bread to the homebound, he does the rites of invocation immediately before. I have never experienced this service before though.
Zobel
AG
Got it. So then, the context of Furlock's question is: given that we have ancient mentions of the practice of taking consecrated gifts to the absent (as old as 155-157 AD) and a continuing tradition in line with this in both the Roman and Orthodox, why do the Lutheran's and others not?

You can see in the quote Walther Quote Deyling to say this is a "bad habit of some in the early Church". Presumably, that would be St Justin Martyr?
swimmerbabe11
I would be happy to consult with Pastor Murray on the issue, I'm not certain.
Post removed:
by user
Zobel
AG
JJMt said:

k2, you keep misstating my point. You either don't understand it or are being purposefully obtuse.

As an example of your misstatements, I never said that the NT was scripture because Peter and Paul said it was. Rather, I said that they recognized it as scripture, long, long before any church council. Again, it wasn't the church councils that made the NT scripture; it was God. You are putting the church councils on the same footing as God Himself.

Second, you have not answered a single question I posed to you. Are you unable to answer them? You have been consistently 100% wrong in your factual statements about the history of the NT canon, yet you continue in your arguments nonetheless. Are facts and history irrelevant to you?

Finally, you keep quoting your church fathers and your church councils to me as support for your argument. Don't you understand that I do not accept your church fathers as having any authority? In other words, you are using church fathers to attempt to establish the authority of the church fathers, which is clearly circular.

As to church councils, they should be given great weight and deference, but what is your evidence or argument that they were divinely inspired? Again, please don't quote church fathers or church councils to me because, again, that's circular.
Slow your roll there buddy. Let's keep the discussion civil, shall we? I'll try to break your points down into simple yes/no statements so we can answer or discuss without silly accusations.

1. Scripture subsists as scripture, because God made it scripture.

Ok, I think I understand that this is your position. I have asked you how we are to know what is and isn't scripture, as determined by God. Can you explain it?

You suggested that because some of the texts refer to the other texts as scripture, that this is evidence. But this is in and of itself not a clear standard, because ultimately those words were written by men. So why are they given particular weight?

This is why I asked, is the continual existence of the book prima facie evidence? That is to say, a book has been preserved, we trust in God's guidance, so what has been preserved must be God's will on the face of it. (This is the view many Baptists take). For me, this isn't particularly compelling for two reasons. One, because we can see how and when and why this preservation happened -- so there's no reason to hand-wave about divine mysteries. We can at a minimum say the will of God was accomplished by men, inspired by the Holy Spirit. This is the same way we speak of the writers of the NT working. For two, it requires a temporal view that is unsupportable - there was a time before the current canon existed, there was a time in the early church when no writings existed. I don't believe those believers lacked for anything, which means either we are under different regimes of grace (which I reject) or the scriptures are not the critical / sole means of delivering the truths of the Faith.

Can you answer these? Note that nowhere have I appealed to councils for ratifying scripture.

2. Your questions.

Re: Early canon. There are lots of lists, and while they do agree, they are not identical. For the NT, Early lists have the Shepherd of Hermas. Some don't have Hebrews or James.

For the OT, we have early lists that include 1 and 2 Maccabees, Esdras, Sirach, Baruch, Wisdom, Tobit, and Judith.

Here are some references you can use.

Re: Early church not having all scripture. This twofold - one, that prior to the writings of the scriptures, people just didn't have them. We know, or have a good idea, about the dates of most of the gospels. Origen and Eusebius give us some nice references for these (i.e., who wrote what and so on). But before these dates, there was a Church.

Second, Eusebius mentions churches reading epistles written to them (for example, the Church in Corinth reading Clement's epistle in Hist. eccl. IV. 23:11). This is noteworthy for two reasons...A, it makes perfect sense that the churches who received the epistles would have them first, and B, some churches received and used epistles liturgically that were not in the canon.

Why is B relevant? Because nearly always the litmus test for the safety of scriptures is their use in the church. Take, for example, St Cyril of Jerusalem: "Study earnestly these only which we read openly in the Church. Far wiser and more pious than thyself were the Apostles, and the bishops of old time, the presidents of the Church who handed down these books." Or Eusebius regarding Hermas "Hence, as we know, it has been publicly read in churches, and I have found that some of the most ancient writers used it." Or the (local) council of Carthage "because we have received from our fathers that those books must be read in the Church." Or the (local) council of Laodicea "Let no private psalms nor any uncanonical books be read in church, but only the canonical ones of the New and Old Testament."

St Athanasius includes the following note in the letter where he records the canon because "it seemed good to me also, having been urged thereto by true brethren, and having learned from the beginning, to set before you the books included in the Canon, and handed down, and accredited as divine..."

He finishes with the following comment:

"But for the sake of greater exactness I add this also, writing under obligation, as it were. There are other books besides these, indeed not received as canonical but having been appointed by our fathers to be read to those just approaching and wishing to be instructed in the word of godliness: Wisdom of Solomon, Wisdom of Sirach, Esther, Judith, Tobit, and that which is called the Teaching of the Apostles, and the Shepherd. But the former, my brethren, are included in the Canon, the latter being merely read; nor is there any place a mention of secret writings.

So you see, that at some point in the first two centuries of the church there was a change or better understanding about the nature of the scriptures. Many texts were considered useful for "preaching, teaching, rebuking, correcting" while a subset of these were considered "handed down, and accredited as divine" (which of course begs the question handed down and accredited by whom?). Further still, there was a large body of writings which the fathers describe as mischievous, heretical, beguiling, etc.

I don't see any other questions to answer, so forgive if I've missed any.

3. As for the authority of the fathers. I'm pretty sure you're a protestant, and I'm fairly certain you're an evangelical protestant of what can loosely be described as the "me and my bible" variety. That's fine, you have the freedom submit to any authority you choose (even if that authority is only yourself). But, when you put forth a claim, that is, the canon of scripture is a source of authority in and of itself from God, you need to be able to determine why you think that.

You then ask for evidence of divine inspiration for the councils, for the fathers, but refuse to allow the writings of councils or fathers. Don't you see the humor in that? After all, the Apostles were all fallible men, and sinners besides (one even admits to being the chief of all sinners and one untimely born, an abortion) and yet you present evidence that the scripture was scripture because their writings refer to it as scripture.

I stand mute, then, if I can't quote the fathers...because, of course, the fathers of the church include the Apostles.

I suspect that your own belief system can't stand up to such a standard. My suspicion is that you confess the Trinity, a word that doesn't exist in the bible. You probably think inerrancy is in the scriptures (Tim 3:16 is the closest I think you'll find). You probably belief in being saved by faith alone, you probably use the phrase "personal Lord and Savior" when speaking of Christ. You are very likely to use juridical / atonement language to speak of the meaning and purpose of Christ's sacrifice which is not found scripture. etc etc.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.