Buzzfeed vs. Chip and Joanna

16,776 Views | 358 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bjork
Line up and wait 18L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not exactly clear why Buzzfeed chose to publicly shame Fixer Upper hosts Chip and Joanna Gaines. Nor do we know why the online publication attacked the Christian couple's church.
Maybe author Kate Aurthur got a speeding ticket while driving through Waco, Texas? Or maybe she dislikes shiplap? Or perhaps Buzzfeed simply employs virulent, anti-Christian bigots?
We may never know. Regardless, their ugly attack on the Gaines family and Antioch Community Church in Waco cannot be undone.
"The real shame is not on the Gaines family, but on this media inquisition of Christianity," National Religious Broadcasters president Jerry A. Johnson told me.
Earlier this week, Buzzfeed raised questions about the Gaines' family church and its position on same-sex marriage.
So let's cut to the chase is Antioch Community Church anti-gay?
"Absolutely not, Pastor Siebert told me in an exclusive interview. "We are not only not anti-gay, but we are pro-helping people in their journey to find out who God is and who He has made them to be."
The pastor told me he was surprised by the controversy surrounding a message he delivered more than a year ago pointing out that people from all different walks of life attend the church.
"For us our heart has always been to love Jesus, preach the word of God and help people in their journey," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/12/01/fixer-upper-hosts-pastor-responds-to-buzzfeeds-public-shaming.html
Zobel
AG
As a hobby furniture maker, I'm offended by some of the shameful things they pass off as furniture on that show.
kurt vonnegut
AG
What did buzzfeed say specifically?
Beer Baron
AG

With Chip and Joanna being Baylor grads who are known to go to one of these churches, I always expected them to be kind of soft homophobes. I say "soft" because there's a very real, huge, and appreciable difference between the homophobe who will beat me up when he sees me doing something he thinks is too "gay," and the homophobe who is super nice to me and tells me how cool I am while opposing my rights, talking about how acceptance of people like me is a bad thing for society, and trying to come up with ways to "fix" me. I have no doubt that they're wonderful people and they seem really cool on their show, but if we were neighbors I personally wouldn't hang out with them much knowing that they agree with the things this church says about me. And maybe they don't agree.

What I don't understand is how talking about this church's beliefs is a "hit piece." If these are your cherished, deeply held beliefs, why is it a bad thing that people know about them? This reminds me of the debate we had a couple years ago where a Democrat in the Oklahoma legislature, during their "religious freedom" bill debate, put an amendment requiring any business that wanted to discriminate against gays to place a sign in their window stating as such. People here, and in the lege were upset by that, which I never got.

Or is the issue not that their views are being talked about, but that they're being labeled "anti-gay?" I say this around here a lot, but I seriously take it as a huge sign of progress that people saying anti-gay things by and large want to bend over backwards to prove they're not anti-gay while saying them. In the past that largely wasn't the case, and in many churches it still isn't today, so I do appreciate the nicer tone in the way that I'd prefer an open-faced slap from an old lady to a full-on conference with Lucille and Negan. You know, not ideal or great, but better than other things.

The thing is, even if you think you have good intentions somehow, saying you can "fix" this "problem" with gay people IS anti-gay. By its own terms, your proposition is that this thing about them is bad and needs to be altered. I get that some of you think this is loving, or really want us to think it is, but it does not at all come across that way. Again, this is way better than "the gays caused that hurricane!" or "Gays are perverts who want to molest your kids and also they're causing the downfall of this country," and if it's the closest some of you can get to actual acceptance I'll take it I guess. Just know that the people you're trying to convince aren't going to buy it when you say you're not "anti" or "against" them. You are, even if it's to a lesser degree than other people.
Zobel
AG
Translation: acceptance isn't good enough I also demand approval and agreement.
Beer Baron
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

What did buzzfeed say specifically?
Nothing earth shattering that people familiar with Baylor, Waco, Texas, or church in general didn't already know. Homosexuality is a sin, it's a "lifestyle choice" most gay people make because they were molested (90% of them, to be exact), Jesus can make me crazy for boobies, yadda yadda.

Much tamer stuff than many other churches would say about the topic, for sure. Before reading the article I was expecting all the classics like "evil," "pedophile/predator," "downfall of society," "collapse of the Roman Empire," "Sodomites," "worthy of death" and "AIDS is God's punishment" to come up, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was the newer, gentler "we just want to fix you because you're a sinner and that makes us sad" thing.
Beer Baron
AG
k2aggie07 said:

Wanting to change me is the opposite of acceptance. Also, I'm not demanding anything. You can believe whatever you want and I can determine whether I want to be around you or patronize your business based on those beliefs. And vice versa.
Drum5343
AG
Even liberals know this hit piece is ridiculous.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/12/01/buzzfeeds-hit-piece-on-the-gaines-family-is-dangerous/?client=safari
747Ag
AG
Meh... from the Buzzfeed piece to all the "responses". And we call this journalism.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Baylor trash. That couple is effing annoying as hell. Hate that show.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Fortunately we have texags to stick up for persecuted rich white Christians.
AGC
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Every time you post this drivel another person votes for trump.

It was a hit piece because it equates silence or no comment with hate and she was clearly digging for it given that the sermon was a year old.

I didn't hear BB denounce whatever gay drunk driver wherever that killed someone some night, he must hate the people that died. Is that really journalism in your eyes?
747Ag
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Baylor trash. That couple is effing annoying as hell. Hate that show.
Meh. I like them, especially Chip. He's a dork, and so am I. Before we moved from Waco, our next door neighbors also went to Antioch (as do quite a lot of folks in Waco). They indicate that with the Gaines', what you see is what you get.
Aggrad08
AG
Meh, they didn't bring it up, I see no reason to not live and let live if they are willing. God knows a lot of gays are decoraters . If they did I'd feel not one bit sorry.

This disconnect for Christians that will begin to occur more and more is that negative views of homosexuals will be seen more and more like negative views of different races. So think of it for many outsiders as a church that teaches blacks are evil and the result of the curse of ham.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I found the buzzfeed article and read it. I have my issues with the original article, but what I don't get about the fox response is this?

If the criteria for calling someone an anti Christian bigot is that they publish an article which criticizes a church's view on homosexuality and gay marriage, why is it not okay to call someone anti-gay for holding a belief which is critical of gays?

There are those that complain that by opposing BLM or Obama that they get called racists. And there are also those that would complain that by being critical of a Christian value they are labeled anti-Christian bigots. It seems that if we are to recognize a problem with jumping to label someone a bigot for holding a philosophical or theological belief, we must also not be so quick to jump to label someone a bigot for criticizing our own.

I disagree with the church's stance on homosexuality. Does that make me anti Christian or a bigot? Maybe you disagree with what BLM is saying, does that make you a racist? Of course not.

Both the Buzzfeed and the Fox articles are garbage.
747Ag
AG
This whole thing is just dumb. It's a non-story.
Beer Baron
AG
I tend to agree. If they themselves had made it an issue by going around talking about it and protesting things like the Duck Dynasty guys or those twins who had their show pulled before it started, it would be different.
letters at random
Beer Baron said:

I tend to agree. If they themselves had made it an issue by going around talking about it and protesting things like the Duck Dynasty guys or those twins who had their show pulled before it started, it would be different.

It's okay for someone to agree with the orthodox teachings of the major world religions, but I'll be damned if we can allow them to say it out loud.
Sapper Redux
k2aggie07 said:

It isn't acceptance if you believe they must change.
Zobel
AG
So I can't accept anyone as they are without believing they can change for the better? Ok.

Let's put an easy religious spin on this. God accepts us as we are. He also expects that we change. The two are not linked.
AGC
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I found the buzzfeed article and read it. I have my issues with the original article, but what I don't get about the fox response is this?

If the criteria for calling someone an anti Christian bigot is that they publish an article which criticizes a church's view on homosexuality and gay marriage, why is it not okay to call someone anti-gay for holding a belief which is critical of gays?

There are those that complain that by opposing BLM or Obama that they get called racists. And there are also those that would complain that by being critical of a Christian value they are labeled anti-Christian bigots. It seems that if we are to recognize a problem with jumping to label someone a bigot for holding a philosophical or theological belief, we must also not be so quick to jump to label someone a bigot for criticizing our own.

I disagree with the church's stance on homosexuality. Does that make me anti Christian or a bigot? Maybe you disagree with what BLM is saying, does that make you a racist? Of course not.

She and her editor were making fun of trump supporters (on Twitter) and throwing out shows they probably watched, and the hit piece author said...you guessed it! Fixer Upper!

Two days later the piece comes out. She then starts taking shots at Waco on twitter too, simply because the Gaines live there.

It's pretty clear she hates Christians and trump supporters. Buzzfeed is garbage but they give her a voice and it gets picked up by other fake news organizations and trumpeted across the internet.

Is there really some overarching public good to be gained by demanding a stance from them or any other public figure over this? If it matters that much to you, you can look it up on your own. This is just petty and vindictive, an attempt to get someone fired for their beliefs. It's a huge stretch to try to relate yourself to her at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/12/01/buzzfeeds-hit-piece-on-the-gaines-family-is-dangerous/?postshare=5661480594988477&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.c811c009daa6
Sapper Redux
k2aggie07 said:

So I can't accept anyone as they are without believing they can change for the better? Ok.

Let's put an easy religious spin on this. God accepts us as we are. He also expects that we change. The two are not linked.

That's called a logical absurdity.

If you accept someone as they are, why do they need to change? You're saying they aren't suitable as they are, thus, you are by definition not accepting them.
commando2004
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

The problem is not the word "anti-gay". The problem is that people on the Left are hell-bent on destroying other people's livelihoods because they're not adequately accepting of homosexuality.
Zobel
AG
I accept and love my family as they are and require nothing of them for that love and acceptance, but I have family members who could take great strides in improving their lives, and I do hope for their change.

It's only a logical absurdity because you want it to be.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
aggiegamecock said:

Marco Esquandolas said:

Every time you post this drivel another person votes for trump.

It was a hit piece because it equates silence or no comment with hate and she was clearly digging for it given that the sermon was a year old.

I didn't hear BB denounce whatever gay drunk driver wherever that killed someone some night, he must hate the people that died. Is that really journalism in your eyes?

I'm with 747. Non-story. I just find it amusing how quickly some people's jimmies get rustled around here over this type of thing. Yet every other social group needs to grow thicker skin and stop being offended about everything.

I can't stand the show but my gay friends love it.
Sapper Redux
k2aggie07 said:

I accept and love my family as they are and require nothing of them for that love and acceptance, but I have family members who could take great strides in improving their lives, and I do hope for their change.

Ok, but that's not what we're talking about with acceptance here. The pastor is saying gay people must change in order to be saved. That's not acceptance. You can love them, but that's still not acceptance.
Zobel
AG
What do they care if a religion they don't agree with doesn't think they're saved? I'm sure Islam teaches I am bound straight for the bad place. Should I demand they "accept" me? That's ridiculous.

So like I said. Accept now means we have to change our faith to match your personal proclivities.
letters at random
Dr. Watson said:

The pastor is saying gay people must change in order to be saved.

This is a nuanced important conversation, but that's not what orthodox Christianity says. Orthodox Christianity says that it is sinful (wrong, harmful) for a person to have sex with someone of the same gender. Orthodox Christianity also says that it is sinful (wrong, harmful) for a person to have sex with someone to whom they are not married. I agree with Orthodox Christianity. I could be wrong. I also desire good things for you and your's.
kurt vonnegut
AG
aggiegamecock said:

kurt vonnegut said:

She and her editor were making fun of trump supporters (on Twitter) and throwing out shows they probably watched, and the hit piece author said...you guessed it! Fixer Upper!

Two days later the piece comes out. She then starts taking shots at Waco on twitter too, simply because the Gaines live there.

It's pretty clear she hates Christians and trump supporters. Buzzfeed is garbage but they give her a voice and it gets picked up by other fake news organizations and trumpeted across the internet.

Is there really some overarching public good to be gained by demanding a stance from them or any other public figure over this? If it matters that much to you, you can look it up on your own. This is just petty and vindictive, an attempt to get someone fired for their beliefs. It's a huge stretch to try to relate yourself to her at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/12/01/buzzfeeds-hit-piece-on-the-gaines-family-is-dangerous/?postshare=5661480594988477&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.c811c009daa6

You won't find me defending the buzzfeed article or author. I just don't get what the fox article author thinks they are accomplishing? The entire fox article can be boiled down is one big "I know you are, but what am I?" If Fox is a 'real' news organization and not one of those fake ones, I'd like to see them not stoop to their level. That's all.
kurt vonnegut
AG
commando2004 said:

kurt vonnegut said:

The problem is not the word "anti-gay". The problem is that people on the Left are hell-bent on destroying other people's livelihoods because they're not adequately accepting of homosexuality.

I don't think this is any more true than the statement "People on the right are hell bent on forcing their specific religion and morality down everyone's throats upon threat of prosecution."

I worry that you may be judging half of the country based on its extremes or its loudest voices.
Marco Esquandolas
AG
Everyone here is aware that BuzzFeed is crap and should never be taken seriously, right?
Drum5343
AG
Marco Esquandolas said:

Everyone here is aware that BuzzFeed is crap and should never be taken seriously, right?

Yes, absolutely.

But they do have a MASSIVE following and if they were to call for Chip and Joanna Gaines to be blocked from HGTV, there is a chance it might happen.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

It's okay for someone to agree with the orthodox teachings of the major world religions, but I'll be damned if we can allow them to say it out loud.
Who's stopping anyone from saying anything? Just because your opinion is X doesn't mean other people can't say X is a bad opinion.
Beer Baron
AG
k2aggie07 said:

So would I be an "improved" person if I left my husband and married a woman? Even though I kind of like the guy and we look out for each other and have built a life together and everything? Is there a particular woman I need to be with to "improve" my situation, or will anyone with the right genitals do?
Zobel
AG
I was responding to the silly suggestion that acceptance and approval were somehow inextricably linked.

I don't know you or anything about you other than the limited information you've shared here, so I can't imagine why I would have the hubris to give you advice or why you would think I should. I can genuinely say that I imagine whatever your sins might be, mine are worse. So please pray for me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.