Great Moments in TV History: Fonzie Fights Tom Hanks

1,174 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by maroon barchetta
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
November 9, 1982

Happy Days Season 10, Episode 5 "A Little Case of Revenge"

"Fonzie is challenged to a fight by a black belt karate expert who has nursed a grudge against him since the third grade and now wants to take his revenge.

Revisiting this clip for the first time since watching it live 42 years ago, my biggest reaction was I kept yelling at Arnold aka Mr. Miyagi to get in there and break it up.
Wolfpac 08
AG
How old is Fonz supposed to be here? Bc Winkler is pushing 40 in this scene and it's obvious
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wolfpac 08 said:

How old is Fonz supposed to be here? Bc Winkler is pushing 40 in this scene and it's obvious
You look around that scene and it's like Fonzie and the Q team - Ted McGinley, Pat Morita, Jennie Piccolo all grown up. Yikes
torrid
AG
I was surprised to see Jefferson in the clip.
AustinAg2K
I had no idea Tom Hanks is a blackbelt. Is there anything he can't do?
Apache
AG
The two had a long feud apparently stemming from Fonzie's fired during Turner & Hooch.

Quote:

Hanks and Winkler fell out when Winkler was recruited to direct the 1989 Hanks film Turner & Hooch, about a police officer partnered with a dog. Due to "creative differences", Winkler was fired from the set after 13 days and replaced by Roger Spottiswoode. It has long been speculated that Hanks was responsible for Winkler's departure.

"I was called into [producer] Jeffrey Katzenberg's office and he said, 'You have everything with you? Go home'," Winkler recalled in 2019. He added: "I got along great with the dog."

Winkler's comment echoed another statement made in 1993, in which he claimed he "got along better with Hooch [the dog] than I did with Turner [Hanks]".
"It was disappointing," Howard told The Guardian, when asked about the feud. "I'm friends with them both and both men felt compelled to come to talk to me about it. It was just one of those unfortunate things where they really had a working style that did not fit. I know it was painful for both of them and I was able to lend an ear, if not offer any solutions."

They've since made up. Awww
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/tom-hanks-henry-winkler-feud-turner-hooch-fired-ron-howard-b528316.html
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Good lord TV was awful. That clip makes Family Matters look like Emmy winning television.
Rex Racer
AG
Apache said:

The two had a long feud apparently stemming from Fonzie's fired during Turner & Hooch.

Quote:

Hanks and Winkler fell out when Winkler was recruited to direct the 1989 Hanks film Turner & Hooch, about a police officer partnered with a dog. Due to "creative differences", Winkler was fired from the set after 13 days and replaced by Roger Spottiswoode. It has long been speculated that Hanks was responsible for Winkler's departure.

"I was called into [producer] Jeffrey Katzenberg's office and he said, 'You have everything with you? Go home'," Winkler recalled in 2019. He added: "I got along great with the dog."

Winkler's comment echoed another statement made in 1993, in which he claimed he "got along better with Hooch [the dog] than I did with Turner [Hanks]".
"It was disappointing," Howard told The Guardian, when asked about the feud. "I'm friends with them both and both men felt compelled to come to talk to me about it. It was just one of those unfortunate things where they really had a working style that did not fit. I know it was painful for both of them and I was able to lend an ear, if not offer any solutions."

They've since made up. Awww
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/tom-hanks-henry-winkler-feud-turner-hooch-fired-ron-howard-b528316.html

K-9 with Jim Belushi was better anyway.
Gigem314
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Good lord TV was awful. That clip makes Family Matters look like Emmy winning television.
More specifically, the episode where the Urkel bot wants to take over.
maroon barchetta
More >>>>> Urkel Bot
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

I don't know if I've seen a worse 9 seconds of TV than this. Poor Henry Winkler trying to casually look right to see how close he was to his mark before flinging himself backwards through the faux glass window

Apache
AG
I'll see you Fonzie getting hong kong pfooey'd and raise you Fonzie jumping the shark:

Which maybe is just good and terrible at the same time.
maroon barchetta
You have no idea how many sharks there are near Milwaukee.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.