Drumeo - Mike Portnoy attempts listen and learn of Tool's Pneuma

5,776 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by cajunaggie08
IrishAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is amazing and cruel to watch all at the same time!

Also, NSFW, because, well he's attempting Pneuma so there is a lot of cursing.
TexAgBolter
AG
That's great.

And for reference, the legend himself.
cc10106
love this song

*Adding the link below for this guy that does a good job going through and explaining Pneuma:

As masterful and deserving as Danny Carey is of any praise, Justin Chancellor's bass parts are what interest me in Tool the most. I just wanted to add something related to it. I think the combo of these two musicians puts them in a whole different level compared to most bands.
Rocagnante
AG
"This isn't a song it's a mathematic equation…"

Such a badass song.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I'm going to listen to this album again.
AggieRob93
AG
Portnoy gave it a go, and to do what he did in the hours spent listening/watching/reading, put forth a more than admirable performance. Hats off to him for it!
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Well done really but it just shows how incredibly complex it is and how good Danny Carey really is.

As a drummer I put him #1 in current living (rock) drummers and top 5 all time behind only

1/2 Peart/Bonham (pick a day on which is 1)
3 Keith Moon
4 Ginger Baker

I know others (Rolling Stone, various other lists I've seen) have him 20-40 range usually. That's absurd.

I guarantee you other drummers (and musicians) have him much higher. Case in point this Music Radar poll that has him 6th (with Buddy Rich also ahead of him). That's some rarified air there. The same poll has Portnoy 9th.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-ranked

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PS this is. a great breakdown on (as Drumeo puts it) the genius of Danny Carey.

Lot's of great stuff on the time signatures, fills, polyrhythms, grooves, his kit setup, etc.

https://www.drumeo.com/beat/danny-carey-genius/
Sazerac
AG
That was pretty amazing.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Portnoy's shirt is ****ing killer.
Eliminatus
AG
It's really interesting to see these different drummers attack the problem in their different ways. I learned a decent chunk of Pneuma just by immediately trying to play along. I'd go mad if I were trying to figure out the time sig from the get go. I also have zero formal training so there is also that. I just like to hit things.
StinkyPinky
AG
AggieRob93 said:

Portnoy gave it a go, and to do what he did in the hours spent listening/watching/reading, put forth a more than admirable performance. Hats off to him for it!
That was pretty awesome to watch.
gggmann
AG
Mike Portnoy is awesome. I saw Dream Theater open for Yes 20 years ago. The amount of talent on display was unbelievable.
Big Cat `93
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

For real. LOVE Jellyfish.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've always laughed watching the Winery Dogs. One of the most talented trios alive you could put on the same stage, and Portnoy basically laughing "I can bang out some light reading while these jokers diddle around in 4-4 time".

Staff - take out the trash.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

For real. LOVE Jellyfish.

My ninja
Know Your Enemy
AG
Finally watching this and while it's cool I prefer the way they normally do these. They have the drummer play a song they've never heard before (a lot of times in a different genre than they usually play) and all they give them is the drumless track, nothing else. Portnoy knew the song and was given all kinds of help with transcriptions & video. Of course without it NO ONE would be able to play Tool so I get that part. Still a fun watch.
CrawfordAg
AG
First time watching drumeo, this girl got my hooked and I went down a 3 hour wormhole binging other episodes.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Watched this video tonight. Was pretty entertaining. Fun to watch the process and especially the counting and trying to count along with it.
jograki
AG
What a fun video. I figured the drumming would be hard with how Tool songs are constantly changing time signatures but this was really enlightening to see it broken down.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
CrawfordAg said:

First time watching drumeo, this girl got my hooked and I went down a 3 hour wormhole binging other episodes.

I enjoyed the drummer for Dua Lipa hears Slipknot for the first time.
fixer
They should now have Mike Mangini do this.
Big Cat `93
AG
I thought the same thing when I first saw this.
fixer
Finally got some time to watch whole thing. That was crazy.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
PatAg
AG

Drummer makes "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons listenable.
Eliminatus
AG
PatAg said:

Drummer makes "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons listenable.

Oh man, I always considered myself an Imagine Dragons closet enjoyer. And then I realized the stuff I know from them is over a decade old. This song I literally could not recognize as them. I'm not usually one to naysay music but that was awful and kudos to Art for making something out of nothing. Love that dudes playing. Been following him since his days in Winds of Plague and almost ended up with his signature pedals till they got sniped on eBay. (Not butthurt about it all to this day, nope. Not even a little bit.)
Eliminatus
AG
Curious to those who watch this series consistently, how many songs have you not heard before either before they are played here? The imagine dragons one I think is number four for me. I haven't seen all the videos in this series though but a very healthy chunk of them. Think I've gotten all the rock/metal/punk ones but the poppy ones are a coin flip to me. Which I know some would say how have you not heard of Thunder?! I see now it is insanely popular but what can I say. This was a first time hear for me as well. I need to get out more I guess.
well_endowed_ag
I can play all of Pneuma with the exception of the swiss triplet pattern in the middle of the song. It's not as difficult once you understand the feel of the verse, but it is tricky and can take dozens of listens before it feels natural to play. For most songs in odd time, I like to understand what the time signature is doing first and then learn the actual drum parts, but this song is the opposite. It's easier if you just learn to play it by feel first and don't try to count it out.

Great video. Portnoy actually didn't perform as well as I thought he would. He is a progressive drummer but definitely a metal drummer at heart with a pretty mechanical style. Danny Carey is a jazz drummer who happens to play progressive metal, and his drum parts to me are so much more fluid and organic than Portnoy's. He is one of the best ever for sure.
EastSideAg2002
CrawfordAg said:

Same trap. And her...

aggieforester05
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I'm going to listen to this album again.
I did for the first time in a long time last week. It's a bad ass album, it really is. Impressive for such a late career release, you just don't see that with other bands.
Diggity
AG
Eliminatus said:

Curious to those who watch this series consistently, how many songs have you not heard before either before they are played here? The imagine dragons one I think is number four for me. I haven't seen all the videos in this series though but a very healthy chunk of them. Think I've gotten all the rock/metal/punk ones but the poppy ones are a coin flip to me. Which I know some would say how have you not heard of Thunder?! I see now it is insanely popular but what can I say. This was a first time hear for me as well. I need to get out more I guess.
that's the strange part. I am not an Imagine Dragons fan by any stretch, and that song was quite ubiquitous for a period.
62strat
AG
it's been a bit since I saw this video, but I remember Mike saying.. it's different when you write the song. Mike has songs much more complicated than pneuma.. but he wrote it. Have danny carey play some random hard DT song.. not a knock to danny, just explaining the difference.

As said above, Pneuma isn't incredibly difficult for the bulk of it. Now the middle breakdown basically separates those who have practiced their para-diddles for a decade or so and those who haven't.
But it's not a fast song, it's just weird timing/accents.

Me, as a drummer of 30 years and air drummer extraordinaire, drum parts stick in my head very easily. When I got this album, it took maybe 3 listens to understand that verse groove. It doesn't have a poly rhythm in it which is where I can struggle (like the breakdown in Euglogy towards the end)

And if I recall, Mike didn't even catch the in between verse area where danny switches from Justin's groove to Adam's groove (4:28 in the song), and then back to justin's groove at 5 minute mark.

I am not a counter like mike seems to be. I would obviously fail if I was filling in for someone and this was charted out.

But if I listen to the song a handful of times, I generally just memorize what's happening and when.

62strat
AG
Diggity said:

Eliminatus said:

that's the strange part. I am not an Imagine Dragons fan by any stretch, and that song was quite ubiquitous for a period.

I'm not listening to anything that would play it, so there's no reason to assume I would come across it now matter how much it's played on radio or whatever. However, I have kids and they play random songs on alexa and also have a playlist going on my phone that they are consistently asking me to add stuff to, so I have heard this song.

Diggity
AG
guess we need you on the next episode
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.