*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

62,135 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Rocagnante
jamesagg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Exactly my thoughts from my initial post.

The movie would've benefited hugely from an extra 30-45 minutes of runtime.

I agree with this. For a movie that 2 hrs and 45 min it certainly didn't feel like it. I wish they would have said screw it and give DV 3.5 hrs to work with and put a short intermission in the middle, although I know that would never happen.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great post, thanks.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How does infrared work? I get that it's another method but practically speaking, were we not just seeing everything in black and white?

But I could definitely tell the colors "popped" a bit more than regular black and white, for sure. People's skin actually looked white.

I could be wrong, but from my understanding, IR just shows you how much light is available. It's measuring light versus just removing color. If something not black is in the sunlight, it will look brighter and lighter. Whereas you would be able to tell a lot more difference in shading with Black and white. It's not quite like turning your contrast all the way up, but sort of.
Quad Dog
AG
Agree. Movie Chani running away out of anger, jealousy, whatever is a problem Paul can solve with like two sentences with the solution he uses in the book. To me it feels like it's a tired movie trope where someone misunderstands and overreacts when a 2 minute adult conversation can solve the problem.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Very generic Messiah book Spoiler, but spoiler tagging just in case

I thought in Messiah, Chani did have issues with Paul being married and spending time with Irulan? I think Villenueve is just fleshing her out earlier in the series than Herbert did imo.
TroyMc
Y'all can nitpick all you want. Movie was awesome.
PatAg
AG
TroyMc said:

Yea, Im not bothering with any of the complaints I am seeing. Way too much awesome stuff not even being discussed
Ornithopter
AG
Quad Dog said:

Agree. Movie Chani running away out of anger, jealousy, whatever is a problem Paul can solve with like two sentences with the solution he uses in the book. To me it feels like it's a tired movie trope where someone misunderstands and overreacts when a 2 minute adult conversation can solve the problem.

Yes, a two minute conversation about marrying someone else like normal people do all the time
Noblemen06
AG
I would've loved an extra 45 minutes for the sake of story but also to simply stay in DV's Dune world a little longer.
Quad Dog
AG
If I was a noble that had to marry for power or politics it's a conversation id have back when you are saying you'll love someone to your last breath the day before.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The IR fireworks (not sure if they were actually fireworks) were badass.
TroyMc
BTW if the goal was to cast an always grumpy wet sponge for a character, they couldn't have done better than Zendaya.

Not complaining about her role as I think she did well but she has Kristen Stewart perma-grump vibes.
TCTTS
AG
Again, I'm a non-book-reader, but when I read things like...

"... they will have to commit a considerable about of screen-time to reconcile the 2 characters..."

and

"... but it leaves a very big issue that has to be solved in the next film..."

All I see is a wealth of potential DRAMA in those two sentences. And for a book (Messiah) that everyone keeps saying is light on plot, it helps take care of that as well.

Again, IMO, I see this change only as a good thing, one that better-sets-up the next movie even more.
TCTTS
AG
They're all mostly saying the same thing, but I thought there were a ton of good answers in this thread...

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Spilner's Sophie's choice…

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BudFox7
My god that was religious in IMAX.

I'm usually very anti-"best ever", but this was one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Only gripe, last scene could have been something much more fitting of such an epic
TCTTS
AG
I love Villeneuve, and understand that both movies are already super long, but man he seems to have cut some absolute gems from Part One. If anything, I would have liked to have seen this scene in Part Two as a brief memory Paul recalls, if only to get one more scene with Leto, but also because it adds just a bit more as to why Paul makes the decision he does...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn.
Moral High Horse
BudFox7 said:

My god that was religious in IMAX.

We all saw the sneak preview sandworm scene before they released it but seeing that scene on iMax was incredible.
BudFox7
Came home to watch interstellar and compare it and realized……somehow for the first time, that Chalamet is in Interatellar
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
Just channeling the energy all these royal houses had (and the nobility from our world they are basically based on)
Lot of unrequited guy love
PatAg
AG
that knife fight at the end is so good
StinkyPinky
AG
PatAg said:

TroyMc said:

Yea, Im not bothering with any of the complaints I am seeing. Way too much awesome stuff not even being discussed

I don't think they're complaints, I think they are observations that come naturally when you have a movie adaptation from the book. Still doesn't change the fact that it is an amazing movie, could be argued the top of all time. But might be the second best for me again giving the nod to the first movie. But subjective. I would argue the second is the better purely from an eye candy perspective. This movie(s) unquestionable is this generations Star Wars after so many previous films tried to claim that role (Avatar?). Glad to be apart of this history.
StinkyPinky
AG
PatAg said:

that knife fight at the end is so good

If you haven't read the book suggest to read an excerpt off the internet for this part. It is so well written and details that aren't portrayed in the movie. I was wondering if they were going to include (not a spoiler since it was portrayed in the original 1984 Lynch movie) Feyd's poison needle hidden in his hip. Otger poison was involved as well in the fight that wasn't portrayed in the movie as well as a Bene Gessert trick that also wasn't captured. Just an fyi if you want to check out. But the fight scene on film I agreed was amazing, as well as most of them in both films (especially Paul and Jamil in movie 1). Choreography was outstanding!
unimboti nkum
AG
The Giedi Prime scenes were incredible. I would die for a stand-alone film set there.

In Dune 1 I thought the salusa secundus scenes were the best in that film as well.
Soso nikinombiki maaki dii.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I would have liked to have seen this scene in Part Two as a brief memory Paul recalls, if only to get one more scene with Leto, but also because it adds just a bit more as to why Paul makes the decision he does...
Absolutely. Would have taken just a couple of minutes of screen time & would have added so much.

I missed Isaac's gravitas & Mamoa's comedy in this movie.... would have liked to have seen some flashbacks. I would have also liked to have seen some green vegetation for contrast to the desert & Geidi Prime. But those are very minor nitpicks. What an amazing film... I'm going to watch this a ton when it gets on streaming. There is a lot to digest.

I do love the efforts the set produces went into with architecture & just making everything seem an authentic civilization.

Side note, those horned dudes in black with the hooks on the Geidi Prime arena were pretty wicked looking. Reminded me of something out of a Guillermo Del Toro movie..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.