*** DUNE: PART TWO *** (Spoilers)

62,059 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Rocagnante
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both the original 1980s movie and the two current movies certainly miss a lot of the subtleties and nuance that is described in the books. I would again highly encourage you to read them if you have not already…

One thing I really like about the current DV movies is that they do not depict a simple world of black-and-white good versus evil, something that was very important to Herbert. It's much more complex than that and so far I think DV has done a good job of creating that tension. Will be super interesting to see what he does in the 3rd film.
aTmAg
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Both the original 1980s movie and the two current movies certainly miss a lot of the subtleties and nuance that is described in the books. I would again highly encourage you to read them if you have not already…

One thing I really like about the current DV movies is that they do not depict a simple world of black-and-white good versus evil, something that was very important to Herbert. It's much more complex than that and so far I think DV has done a good job of creating that tension. Will be super interesting to see what he does in the 3rd film.
I dunno man... there doesn't seem to be a single thing redeeming about the Harkonnen dudes.
Madmarttigan
AG
They are quite literally black and white
Formerly tv1113
M.C. Swag
AG
They helped create Lady Jessica and by proxy, Paul.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
M.C. Swag said:

They helped create Lady Jessica and by proxy, Paul.

Nurture vs. Nature
Decay
AG
I don't get why everyone on Geidi prime looks like a hard boiled egg and somehow Jessica is from there
DrEvazanPhD
Decay said:

I don't get why everyone on Geidi prime looks like a hard boiled egg and somehow Jessica is from there
Only half!
lurker76
There is no friendship with Jamis in the book. He did cry, and he was upset, as he had never killed anyone before, unlike Feyd, who trained with and killed prisoners to develop his skills.
Jamis didn't come back to help Paul, as far as I can recall.
ord89
AG
Decay said:

But also he can see the future for real

Look it's complicated
Yes and no. He was very surprised by a big event at the end of Dune Messiah. As you say, it is complicated...
Ord89
aTmAg
AG
ord89 said:

Decay said:

Look it's complicated
Yes and no. He was very surprised by a big event at the end of Dune Messiah. As you say, it is complicated...
Is there logic behind it? Or is it random?
Decay
AG
aTmAg said:

ord89 said:

Decay said:

Look it's complicated
Is there logic behind it? Or is it random?

Dramatic purposes really
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Warner Bros. announced Friday that the filmmaker's next "event film" will hit theaters Dec. 18, 2026 and that it hails from Legendary Entertainment, home to his Dune movies.

Plot details have not yet been shared, but Villeneuve, who most recently helmed Dune: Part Two, previously stated that a third Dune movie would not be his next film. He does have a nuclear war film set up at Legendary, but sources say that Villeneuve may have had a change of heart and could be turning his attention back to Dune. Legendary could not be reached for comment.

Quote:

Let the speculation begin. The "Untitled Event Film" Warner Bros had dated for December 2026 now is being billed as a "Denis Villeneuve Event Film," and sources said the studio and Legendary are holding the date with expectations that he wraps up the spectacular trilogy with Dune 3.

Hurdles still have to be cleared as they're still working on script and locking cast, but it is the project Villenueve has been working on.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hell yea, hope that it happens sooner rather than later!
TCTTS
AG
So this news seems to be really be gaining traction, and numerous insiders feel confident that this is, indeed, Dune Messiah. Either Villeneuve had a change of heart, or Warner Bros offered him the moon, or both, but it really is looking like we might actually be getting this movie in 2026, as opposed to 2028 or 2029, as was previous expected.
Madmarttigan
AG
TCTTS said:

So this news seems to be really be gaining traction, and numerous insiders feel confident that this is, indeed, Dune Messiah. Either Villeneuve had a change of heart, or Warner Bros offered him the moon, or both, but it really is looking like we might actually be getting this movie in 2026, as opposed to 2028 or 2029, as was previous expected.

That's awesome
Formerly tv1113
heddleston
AG
Maybe this means we can get another change of heart with an IMAX aspect directors cut.
TCTTS
AG
Now we're talking.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Wait wait wait. Is Dune 3 Godzilla and Kong vs a Sandworm ?

Take my money please
Ornithopter
AG
heddleston said:

Maybe this means we can get another change of heart with an IMAX aspect directors cut.

And reshoot the banquet scene for a director's cut!
Sea Speed
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Chalamet better start smoking heavily and roid up...

He's supposed to be a bit older in Messiah...
YouBet
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Chalamet better start smoking heavily and roid up...

He's supposed to be a bit older in Messiah...

Only 27.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Glad they are going with Dune Messiah rather than Dune Part 3.
TCTTS
AG
No one knows for sure yet, as nothing has been officially announced. I've been seeing it called both in various reports over the last or so.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yeah, I totally missed the Fan Art on the picture.
Decay
AG
Dun3

Edit: probably needs to be DUN3
Moral High Horse
Dune 3: Arrakeen Drift
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Moral High Horse said:

Dune 3: Arrakeen Drift

Dune 3: Arrakeen Boogaloo
YouBet
AG
The real Dune 2: Tleilaxu Boogaloo
Moral High Horse
Dune and Duner: When Stilgar met Jamis
YouBet
AG
Dune 3: Chani's Revenge
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Paul Atreides and The Last Crusade
Cibalo
Just finished rewatching 1 so I could then watch 2. Both movies to me have great visuals, cinematography, scores, and acting. In many ways to me it is an artistic masterpiece.

Where it fails for me is the overall flow. There are lots of slow moving parts like the arrival on Arrakis with the planning of the departure, the travel, landing, settling in, etc. And then they turn around have them all wiped out in 5 min with no reason as to why (we find out at the end).

I also didn't understand how Paul eyes turned blue by just being out in the dessert for a short time. I thought it would only be after he drank the worm piss.

Another part that felt rushed was the worm riding. They show the Fremen riding one, tell him he can't do it, and then shortly after he has been trained and ready for his test to ride a sand worm.

There was just so much that was rushed with no explanation. His mom getting all the tattoos on her face with the former old lady didn't have any. Why did the old lady say what have we done when she realized Paul's mom was pregnant. It didn't seem to change anything.

At the end the Great Houses arrived above the planet. The emperor is defeated and his treason was exposed. This was the big secret they were trying to keep. Once it is out all the houses just say we don't care and instantly Paul calls for war?

Maybe I need to watch it all again and these things are explained but for the first time through there just seemed to be all these big jumps to move the story along with no explanation as to how we got there.
MonkeyKnifeFighter

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.