*** TWISTERS ***

44,052 Views | 397 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
Funky Winkerbean
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sharknado without sharks.
MooreTrucker
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

If I read that, will you read my treatise for a movie I thought up today while stuck in traffic for 2 hours called "The 7th Henchman", which is told totally from the point of view of a guy who considers himself the 7th most important henchman to a super villain and watches a big dramatic James Bond adventure unfold in that role, where he either does nothing in every big action scene or is disabled from fighting gin the first 5-10 seconds?

Will also include a scene where the super villain confessed to thinking he's only like the 11th or 12th best henchman and has a power point presentation to go along with his reasoning?
I'm in!!!!
Daveintx
How can you have Dorothy without at least some tie to the original crew.....

Granted, sadly some of the teams biggest players have passed, but if the had Hunt (who always seemed to have little to no love lost of the first one), you at least had something to start with....

At the very least, sub title it "enter the suck zone"

GreasenUSA
AG
Trailer looked like a shot by shot remake of the original.

I loved the original. You son of a *****, I'm in.
cr0wbar
AG
Hail. Yes.

They even got the red dodge ram. Titty Twister(s) for everyone
The Collective
AG
No Extreme. No movie.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Twister is my very favorite movie, so I will of course be in the theaters opening night for this.

The CGI isn't inspiring a lot of confidence, but hopefully that gets cleaned up more before the release.

I would say the story doesn't matter? It just have to be fun and have good sequences. Thats the original. Fun characters, great sequences that are somewhat strung together by a "let's get Dorothy to fly" story with some romance thrown in because its 1996. If this movie has chemistry between the leads (which the trailer at least shows that) and fun supporting characters with some witty banter and fun tornado action, then it'll fly, IMHO.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Twister is one of my top guilty pleasures. In a decade with a lot of great bad movies, Twister is one of the best.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Need a cameo from this guy if he's still alive.

Edit: Well now I feel like **** because he died of AIDS in 1986 at age 38.

Double Edit: Now my mood has changed to stunned disbelief as I realize that Mike from Breaking Bad / Better Cal Saul had scenes with Lloyd Bridges in Airplane.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Claude!
I hear they wanted to call it Twister's Revenge, but that name was already taken.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Quote:

I have a feeling the present-day unscripted reality -TV of real storm chasers is going to trump a good portion of the potential interest in this.
I feel like it's the opposite. People who follow actual storm chasers on realty tv / youtube will likely still be first in line for this.
PatAg
AG
I did not open this thread expecting to see a lot of people crapping on the movie that only has 1 trailer out.

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Very surprised about your reaction, TC. This thing is creatively bankrupt imo. Looks like a remake that is taking the entire plot of the original, whole cloth, but selling itself as a new movie.

Either do a remake or do something actually new. This is bringing nothing to the table. Just Twister with worse actors.

Hold the phone. The guy who unabashedly loves all TEN of the Fast & Furious movies is seriously critiquing another blockbuster franchise for rehashing plots/not being "original"?

Since when do we need our tornado-chasing blockbusters to be auteur works of art?

Also, while it *does* look to be taking inspiration from the first movie in terms of the general conceit, I wouldn't say it's "taking the entire plot of the original, whole cloth," if only because there's not enough in the trailer to even know yet what the full plot is. That said... there are only so many plots you can do centered around chasing tornados, and I didn't watch the first one for the plot either.

I just want a big, loud, fun and suspenseful tornado movie, set in the world I loved so much from the original (stormy, rural Oklahoma), and this looks to be giving me exactly that.

Also, again, the filmmaking team should count for something. These aren't hacks. The Revenant, Minari... Steven freakin' Spielberg... we're in the hands of people who at least care, and are known for their Oscar-worthy work. I'm not at all saying this will be Oscar worthy, or again, even TG:M worthy, it's just that the instant party pooping comes across as selective and premature.
Might even say hypocritical
bagger05
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Sharknado without sharks.
If there is no sharknado joke/reference in this movie I will stab someone.
Moral High Horse
Unless they got cows I'm not watching.
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

What I love is that Powell's character seems to be a mix of both teams from the original. He's got that Paxton/cowboy charm, but is also cocky as hell and seems to have all the fancy gear. Making him a social media star is a great twist too. Then Edgar-Jones' and her colleague(s) seem to be the overly cautious "underdogs"/thorn in his side. But instead of being rivals the whole movie through, they're all teaming up here, which instantly makes for great friction.

A much as I love the first movie, watching it again now, Cary Elwes' character's ultra serious, high-tech team of mustache twirling villains and black suburbans is pretty laughable. Here? The dynamic is much more nuanced and believable, with a fun, modern twist.

Granted, nothing will ever top Bill and Jo's ragtag group of misfits - Philip Seymour Hoffman going full Jack Black, Alan Ruck, Jeremy Davies, etc - but this group looks like it could be fun too.

More than anything I just love the general vibe/world, and can't wait to revisit it again.
Agreed. I love Elwes, but his character was pretty cringey - especially his bad Southern accent (almost a carbon copy of his character from Days of Thunder).

But I like the modern take of Powell's team of cowboys chasing the thrill - but also being social media stars. It's an interesting mesh - and my guess is there's more to his character than the outward cowboy persona.

What's great is that even with updated tech, they really can create the same feel as the original - driving through Oklahoma chasing storms. It's not so different in that sense than it was in 1996.
Al Bula
AG
Give me a Twister sequel about zombie Jonas and his team of zombie stormchasers.

^
|

This idea is infinitely better than what I saw in the preview last night.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hypocritical? Lol.

Flag on the play, back it up.

My issue isn't with sequels, or even remakes. (Though I don't love the idea of remakes either.)

My issue is with movies that are essentially remakes, but ignore the previous continuity and characters, rather than doing something new. (Or "standalone sequels" as they apparently call these.)

For example, the Ghostbusters example I used on page 1.

A lazy cash grab that ignored the existing and beloved characters, recast it with women, and figured the IP alone was enough to get people in the theaters.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife? Fairy decent little flick, and one that was received far better.

The day they put out a "new" movie called "Faster & More Furious", with a young lookalike Paul Walker driving an Eclipse, and a young crew stealing PS5's from trucks, ignoring all the characters we already know and love, you'll see me raise hell.
jokershady
AG
And this is where the trailer lost me…..

Destroy a tornado? Yeah…Sharknado already did it….
tk for tu juan
Bill and Jo holding hands as the twister passes over them was already enough to destroy the rotation and end the threat. Just harness that same power

Recycling my material from the other thread
The Porkchop Express
AG
Plus if you destroy tornados, you destroy the mobile home and trailer park insurance industry. Think about the bigger picture here, hangman. How many families do you have to destroy to get your way?
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hypocritical? Lol.

Flag on the play, back it up.

My issue isn't with sequels, or even remakes. (Though I don't love the idea of remakes either.)

My issue is with movies that are essentially remakes, but ignore the previous continuity and characters, rather than doing something new. (Or "standalone sequels" as they apparently call these.)

For example, the Ghostbusters example I used on page 1.

A lazy cash grab that ignored the existing and beloved characters, recast it with women, and figured the IP alone was enough to get people in the theaters.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife? Fairy decent little flick, and one that was received far better.

The day they put out a "new" movie called "Faster & More Furious", with a young lookalike Paul Walker driving an Eclipse, and a young crew stealing PS5's from trucks, ignoring all the characters we already know and love, you'll see me raise hell.

There is zero indication that this version "ignores the previous continuity and characters, rather than doing something new."

There is also zero indication that this version is a "lazy cash grab," again, based on the talent both behind and in front of the camera. I can't reiterate that enough.

Universal is officially calling it a "standalone sequel," which implies that the events of the first movie happened in this universe, it's just that none of the characters from the first movie will be appearing in this one (that we currently know of).

Rather, my guess is Dorothy is the link between movies. Kind of like R2-D2 bridging Star Wars eras. They'll need Dorothy for *part* of their overall plan, and they'll probably even reference its developers - Bill and Jo Harding - in some way, but that will likely be the extent of it. Something along those lines. A little wink of sorts to the past, while ultimately being its own new thing.
C@LAg
jokershady said:

And this is where the trailer lost me…..

Destroy a tornado? Yeah…Sharknado already did it….
Just flip the switch and reverse the direction of oscillation.

and say bye-bye to the tornado.
jbirdag96
AG
Ok...we got sisters. -Original
We got TWINS!!! -Twisters

TresPuertas
AG
TCTTS said:

Not to mention, Powell's next movie, Hit Man, drops on Netflix in June, and is getting absolutely rave reviews.

This is going to be his summer, after which he's going to be our next bonafide leading man/movie star.

i'm glad i'm not the only Powell fan boy on this board.

yes. i know he's a TSip and yes i know he's not the worlds greatest actor but he's got a forever pass from me because of his performance in Everybody Wants Some!!

that said, i watched the original twister the other day because it was on TV and it's one of the best terrible movies of all time. i think they are making this in that spirit and i couldn't be more pumped
The Porkchop Express
AG
There really is no more awesome force of nature on TexAgs than when you decide a movie is going to be great.

And yes I'm busting your balls a little on it, but the combination of movie knowledge and sheer will to promote is like a tidal wave coming at the beach.

C@LAg

There really is no more awesome force of nature on TexAgs than when you decide a movie is going to be great.

And yes I'm busting your balls a little on it, but the combination of movie knowledge and sheer will to promote is like a tidal wave coming at the beach.

maroon man
S
"He's gonna rue the day he came up against The Extreme, baby. Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage."
BurnetAggie99
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG

I try my best.

For the record, I'm not guaranteeing greatness. I'm simply asking folks to give it a chance, based on the caliber of filmmakers involved. That, and I've heard the script is good, and what little I know about the third act sounds awesome (giant twin fire tornados!). Yes, most legacy sequel stuff sucks, but every so often we get a Blade Runner 2049 or a Top Gun: Maverick, and all indications are that this one potentially falls somewhere in that camp. Almost assuredly not nearly as good as either, mind you, but a worthy effort and a lot of fun.
MooreTrucker
AG
TresPuertas said:

TCTTS said:

Not to mention, Powell's next movie, Hit Man, drops on Netflix in June, and is getting absolutely rave reviews.

This is going to be his summer, after which he's going to be our next bonafide leading man/movie star.

i'm glad i'm not the only Powell fan boy on this board.

yes. i know he's a TSip and yes i know he's not the worlds greatest actor but he's got a forever pass from me because of his performance in Everybody Wants Some!!

that said, i watched the original twister the other day because it was on TV and it's one of the best terrible movies of all time. i think they are making this in that spirit and i couldn't be more pumped
I like the kid, too. He's got "it". He was the speaker at my niece's graduation from tu, and he did a great job.
TCTTS
AG
Dude is also living the life...

TCTTS
AG
I have a friend who texts with Powell, after they worked on a movie together, who's also been to one of his house parties and says they're just insane. Not drug/booze-wise or anything like that - Powell seems like he has his head on straight - but talent-wise, in the female department. Just absolutely stacked, apparently.
jokershady
AG

Plus if you destroy tornados, you destroy the mobile home and trailer park insurance industry. Think about the bigger picture here, hangman. How many families do you have to destroy to get your way?
ok Zorg….

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.