Underrated Rush tunes

7,280 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by G Martin 87
diamondag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie87

This is a great find!!!

I'm adding to my playlist because it sounds like old rush meets Grace under pressure
diamondag
The Garden on clockwork angels.

Very good song

https://open.spotify.com/track/6CRNYiqBld7XK4plDLk3lL?si=opn2wa-1SWaGTeEMMq42rQ
maroon barchetta
It's excellent.
GrapevineAg
AG
G Martin 87 said:

It's night and day. The original mix had so much clipping that all the detail was lost. The songs come alive on the remixed album. It has some of Alex's best playing.
Listening to it right now (not for the first time though), and yeah, the difference is quite stark. It's a whole new album.

I'll add "Ceiling Unlimited" and "Peaceable Kingdom" as underrated songs.
Aggie87
AG
diamondag said:

Aggie87

This is a great find!!!

I'm adding to my playlist because it sounds like old rush meets Grace under pressure

I love that track actually.

I posted another one in this thread that has all of the Rush guys on it, but isn't sung by Geddy either (well he sings half of it I guess). It appears to have been deleted for some reason (I'm guessing because I replied to a guy who complained about Geddy's singing voice).

diamondag
Aggie87 said:

diamondag said:

Aggie87

This is a great find!!!

I love that track actually.

I posted another one in this thread that has all of the Rush guys on it, but isn't sung by Geddy either (well he sings half of it I guess). It appears to have been deleted for some reason (I'm guessing because I replied to a guy who complained about Geddy's singing voice).

Yes this Max Webster song is really good

Lucky to have these old tunes turn up and give us more "Rush" to listen to

Rocagnante
AG
In case anyone needs a little bass solo to start the day….

WestGalvestonAggie
Rocagnante said:

Love this song live especially indoors.

Power Windows is an underrated album.

For me, Power Windows was the last great Rush album. I love it and everything that came before it, but not so much a lot that came after.
maroon barchetta
WestGalvestonAggie said:

Rocagnante said:

For me, Power Windows was the last great Rush album. I love it and everything that came before it, but not so much a lot that came after.

I wasn't as big on Hold Your Fire or Presto but Counterparts really resonated with me at the time.
maroon barchetta
Also, I really like Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels.
KidDoc
AG
WestGalvestonAggie said:

Rocagnante said:

I strongly suggest listening to Clockwork Angels a few times, it is outstanding and IMO their best since Moving Pictures.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Mathguy64
AG
Not only were they a 3 piece in the studio but they kept that on stage and purposefully wrote music that allowed them to play live with just the 3 of them. Geddy has said as much.

And then CA came along and they added an 8 piece of strings. The definition of all or nothing. And it worked really well.
HollywoodBQ
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I wasn't as big on Hold Your Fire or Presto but Counterparts really resonated with me at the time.
Counterparts was released about a week before I had to drive up to Fort Knox, KY to attend the Armor School. I wore that tape out on the drive and while I was in Kentucky.

Rush came through on tour and played in Nashville about 2 hours South of Fort Knox. Unfortunately, I had guard duty that night at the Battalion HQ so I missed the show but one of my fellow 2LTs went.

I made up for it on Test for Echo when I saw Rush 3 times - Austin, Dallas, Houston.
KidDoc
AG
Ok I need to add Caravan from CA to my list. The bass work is sublime almost nobody plays bass like Getty.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Echoes97
AG
Great stuff from everyone in the thread!

Everyone get their Rush newsletter? Can't wait to see these cars and read Neil's stories in this one.

Neil Peart's Final Book Silver Surfers

For Neil Peart, cars were a lifelong passion, and in his final literary creation, he writes about his beloved Silver Surfers collection; the joy of collecting these exquisite, rare, and important sports cars, and the myriad ways that they brought him great joy. Silver Surfers is an homage to these cars that meant so much to him, and to the passion of the road that fueled his life.
He first traces the roots of his auto obsession, taking us back to where it all began, with a 1969 Lotus Europa; through the cars he bought when the band first made it big, and even his first "family car," before taking us on a tour of the Silver Surfers themselvesa rare collection of some of the most iconic sports cars from the 1960s. From a 1964 Aston Martin DB5 to a classic 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray, each is a gorgeous silver (with the exception of one: a black 1964 Shelby Cobra whose patina Neil loved so much that he wrote, "I am not going to paint it").

"The title Silver Surfers for my collection of cars occurred to me while driving my DB5 up and down the Pacific Coast Highway. Because it felt right to me, I guess the idea that I was just one of the wave riders…
In search of natural peace, I often drove out that way and up in to the Santa Monica Mountains. Out past Malibu to Ventura County, I'd weave along barren ridges of rock and vegetation, the ocean always on one big side…
The waves were slow and gentle, or churned out a powerful, rolling rhythm…" - Neil Peart
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
KidDoc
AG
Echoes97 said:

Great stuff from everyone in the thread!

Everyone get their Rush newsletter? Can't wait to see these cars and read Neil's stories in this one.

Neil Peart's Final Book Silver Surfers

For Neil Peart, cars were a lifelong passion, and in his final literary creation, he writes about his beloved Silver Surfers collection; the joy of collecting these exquisite, rare, and important sports cars, and the myriad ways that they brought him great joy. Silver Surfers is an homage to these cars that meant so much to him, and to the passion of the road that fueled his life.
He first traces the roots of his auto obsession, taking us back to where it all began, with a 1969 Lotus Europa; through the cars he bought when the band first made it big, and even his first "family car," before taking us on a tour of the Silver Surfers themselvesa rare collection of some of the most iconic sports cars from the 1960s. From a 1964 Aston Martin DB5 to a classic 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Sting Ray, each is a gorgeous silver (with the exception of one: a black 1964 Shelby Cobra whose patina Neil loved so much that he wrote, "I am not going to paint it").

"The title Silver Surfers for my collection of cars occurred to me while driving my DB5 up and down the Pacific Coast Highway. Because it felt right to me, I guess the idea that I was just one of the wave riders…
In search of natural peace, I often drove out that way and up in to the Santa Monica Mountains. Out past Malibu to Ventura County, I'd weave along barren ridges of rock and vegetation, the ocean always on one big side…
The waves were slow and gentle, or churned out a powerful, rolling rhythm…" - Neil Peart
Thanks for the heads up! So not only do we share first names but we also shared a love of silver sports cars!
maroon barchetta
I didn't get an email from Rush yet. Kind of surprising.

This looks good.
The Kraken
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I didn't get an email from Rush yet. Kind of surprising.

This looks good.
I got my text

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
KidDoc said:

WestGalvestonAggie said:

Rocagnante said:

I strongly suggest listening to Clockwork Angels a few times, it is outstanding and IMO their best since Moving Pictures.

Ditto. At least the best since Power Windows, but maybe since Moving Pictures.

It's really an amazing concept album with fully thought out plot and story. There is a companion novel I have read too. I think it would have made a great longform video movie.

The tour for it was really cool the after intermission set piece was the CA album in its entirety except for BU2B and BU2B2 and included a string orchestra on stage. They filmed the Dallas shows (which I was at) for the live concert DVD.

starts here about 1:13 into the show.

The Kraken
AG
Listened to Roll the Bones late today while finishing up updates and paperwork. Such a solid album from start to end. I know lots of people including some close friends hate the title track, and I remember how shocked I was when I first heard it...but is seems pretty benign now.
Rocagnante
AG
The Kraken said:

Listened to Roll the Bones late today while finishing up updates and paperwork. Such a solid album from start to end. I know lots of people including some close friends hate the title track, and I remember how shocked I was when I first heard it...but is seems pretty benign now.

I guess you could say it's a parallax, you dig?
diamondag
Bravado from roll the bones is very good

So is ghost of a chance same album

Then on hold your fire

Time stand still really hits home as I age

BCSWguru
Time and Motion is still one of my favorite Rush tracks. Face Up is another.
VaultingChemist
AG
Quote:

Once we loved the flowers
Now we ask the price of the land
Once we would take water
But now it must be wine
Now we've been
And now we've seen
What price peace of mind
Take a piece of my mind
From "I Think I'm Going Bald"
G Martin 87
AG
BCSWguru said:

Time and Motion is still one of my favorite Rush tracks. Face Up is another.
Time and Motion is a great underrated suggestion. It reminds me of Double Agent, which also has a complex song structure and deserves more attention, too. Alex really shines in both.
The Kraken
AG
Just missed the 30th anniversary of my first Rush concert. 1/26/94 at the Summit, Houston. Counterparts tour. Last tour with an opening act...Candlebox for that stop.
maroon barchetta
I was there!

Maybe my favorite solo Neil ever did.
GrapevineAg
AG
Me three!
Mathguy64
AG
My first one was in either 80 or 81 at the Sam Houston Coliseum. I think. I know I saw them there but that place was very very smoky.

I could have sworn April Wine opened but the tour website says otherwise.
maroon barchetta
Mathguy64 said:

My first one was in either 80 or 81 at the Sam Houston Coliseum. I think. I know I saw them there but that place was very very smoky.

I could have sworn April Wine opened but the tour website says otherwise.

Would have probably been Max Webster.
Hub `93
AG
OK, I'll mention another one: "Halo Effect." That album came out about a year after my divorce. When I heard the lyrics of that song for the first time, I just busted out crying. It was like Neil wrote them from my perspective. Plus, it's proof that they didn't have to show off their chops to create a good song.

"Time Stand Still" was always a standout to me, but it became my all-time favorite Rush song after my dad died. I wish some of those moments with him had been frozen a little bit longer.
G Martin 87
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

OK, I'll mention another one: "Halo Effect." That album came out about a year after my divorce. When I heard the lyrics of that song for the first time, I just busted out crying. It was like Neil wrote them from my perspective. Plus, it's proof that they didn't have to show off their chops to create a good song.

"Time Stand Still" was always a standout to me, but it became my all-time favorite Rush song after my dad died. I wish some of those moments with him had been frozen a little bit longer.
The Garden does that to me. Clockwork Angels was released just after my mom passed. I must have listened to the whole album close to a hundred times over the next few months. The Garden connected with me immediately and helped me through that time of grief.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.