Underrated Rush tunes

7,228 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by G Martin 87
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Side 2 is great! How did you never play Side 2?
As I was reading that, I was thinking, Thank God I'm a few years younger and had boom boxes and Walkmans with Auto-Reverse.

I was very lucky to have lived in Saudi Arabia where we could buy Indonesian/Filipino pirated tapes for 5 Saudi Riyals (about $1.33 USD). But even then, they had to have it. So it was probably the mid 1990s when I was a regular at CD Warehouse in Round Rock and bought the early Rush CDs.

I didn't know YYZ was the B-Side for Living in the Limelight. Seems like that should have been the other way around.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

This thread gets me in the feels. When Neil passed it hit me hard knowing there'd be no more live Rush. It was something me and a couple of my buddies knew every year or other year we'd get to see Rush. Go see your music heroes live every chance you get - never know when you might not get that chance again.
I was at the final Rush show at the LA Forum in 2015. I strongly suspected that was going to be the final show ever.

The fans knew it, the band knew it (Neil was suffering) but everybody enjoyed it and nobody talked about the finality that we had just seen.

No tears but plenty of people just walking around in shock after that show.
maroon barchetta
When Neil came down to the front of the stage, that's when everybody knew.
HollywoodBQ
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Whole concert:

Thank You!

Not precisely how I remembered it from 17 years ago but, I was correct about it being an M249 SAW and I didn't write it in my post but, I did remember it being mounted on the turret ring of an M1025 Humvee (at least that's what it looks like to me as a former Battalion Scout Platoon leader - even though we would have had a M2 .50 cal or a MK-19 grenade machine gun). In later years, they massively up armored those turret rings.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
snowdog90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

I'm not proud of it, but I loved side 1 so much, maybe the greatest album side ever put to vinyl, that I just never played side 2. Remember, I was used to buying singles, and nobody ever played the B side of a single.

Also, I never bought A Farewell To Kings, mainly because I had bought Exit Stage Left, which had Xanadu and Closer to the Heart, so I didn't want to spend the money on songs I already had. So I was in my 20s when I finally heard A Farewell to Kings and Cygnus X-1, and as I explained, I was around 50 when I finally heard Cinderella Man.

Pretty pathetic, I realize. I was, and remain (although to a lesser extent), a cheap *******.

Ha. I have a story about mostly (but not only) listening to side 1 of MP.

My musical intro was not unlike yours but for different reasons. My sister was older and until I got a stereo for the first time in 1980 I only had her disco singles, K-tel records, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Earth Wind and Fire, etc....

I had heard of Rush prior to that but only had exposure to one record because I was a drummer starting in 1978. In 1979 this other drummer in school band made some mention of the drummer from Rush and I was like "who". He made me come over to his house and proceeded to play me 2112 start to finish (again just the A side) and we listened to that over and over. But I still did not have a stereo myself, never bought records and so. I never heard anything else from Rush really and only heard 2112 through my friend.

When i got my stereo in the summer of 1980 I bought some rock records including
tom petty, pat benatar, eagles and a few others. But I did not buy Rush.

I was still drumming and had heard singles like Spirit of Radio. And then MP released in early 1981 and I heard both Limelight and Tom Sawyer and finally purchased my first Rush album,

So that summer I was turning 15 and I was lying out suntanning for the first time in my life. I was also reading books while I did that as my mom made me read like 10 books every summer and do book reports on them to keep me busy. So the timing was such that I was just reading The Count of Monte Cristo and had just acquired MP. I had my stereo speakers in my bedroom window so I could play radio or records and sit outside reading. I put Rush MP on and set the turntable to play it on repeat on A side and sat there reading The Count of Monte Cristo over about a weeklong period with MP playing over and over. To such a degree that ever since I have an odd association between that album and that book. Like I associate that book with that album but the A side only. I can't hear those songs without thinking about that book particularly Tom Sawyer and its themes of the rebellious hero steadfast in his beliefs and challenging the system. There were parallels to me in the hero of the book who clings to the truth and seeks his revenge on the system that screwed him over and resulted in him being falsely imprisoned,

Anyway over the years I would later listen to the B side as well, but that A side is etched in my mind and forever associated with that book.

Tailgate88
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I'm sad for him

Same.
KidDoc
AG
Most of my favorites have already been listed, especially the great songs from Clockwork Angels. A few that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Mystic Rhythms
Something for Nothing
Bastille Day
One Little Victory (one of their more rock songs)
Cold Fire
Time Stand Still
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

I put Rush MP on and set the turntable to play it on repeat on A side and sat there reading The Count of Monte Cristo over about a weeklong period with MP playing over and over. To such a degree that ever since I have an odd association between that album and that book. Like I associate that book with that album but the A side only. I can't hear those songs without thinking about that book particularly Tom Sawyer and its themes of the rebellious hero steadfast in his beliefs and challenging the system. There were parallels to me in the hero of the book who clings to the truth and seeks his revenge on the system that screwed him over and resulted in him being falsely imprisoned,

Anyway over the years I would later listen to the B side as well, but that A side is etched in my mind and forever associated with that book.
I totally get that. I have a lot of music that has stored memories associated with it.

My 9th Grade year in Saudi Arabia, I got to take two field trips that were pretty unusual and thanks to cheap cassettes and an auto-reverse Walkman (Sanyo version anyway), I have burned in memories to the songs on two tapes.

January 1985, I went on a week long school field trip to the West Coast of Saudi Arabia. We went to Taif, Jeddah, Medina and went north to the Nabatean Tombs at Madain Saleh. The cassette tape for that trip was Rush - Grace Under Pressure.

March 1985, I went on a two week long school field trip to Kenya. Went to Nairobi, the Great Rift Valley, Lake Nkuru, and a bunch of Game Preserves - Tsavo, Amboseli, stayed at Masai Mara tented camp, etc. The cassette tape for that trip was Dio - Last in Line.

By the way, when I mentioned the cassette tape piracy earlier, one part I didn't mention was the delayed release dates. There was one pirated brand called "747" that was first to market and they would have low quality copies in the tape souks within 3-6 weeks from the US release date. The higher quality brand called "AS" might take 3 months to get their tapes in the souks. So if you look at the US release dates, add some time to them to get to the Saudi pirated release date. Plus a lot of times, your friends would have to tell you that a new album was out from a particular band. Especially a new one that your friend group didn't know about like - Motley Crue, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Dokken, etc.
jwag
AG
Hold Your Fire for me. Force Ten & Lock and Key are great beginnings to each side of that album.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exit the warrior today's Tom Sawyee
snowdog90
Zombie Jon Snow said:

snowdog90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

I'm not proud of it, but I loved side 1 so much, maybe the greatest album side ever put to vinyl, that I just never played side 2. Remember, I was used to buying singles, and nobody ever played the B side of a single.

Also, I never bought A Farewell To Kings, mainly because I had bought Exit Stage Left, which had Xanadu and Closer to the Heart, so I didn't want to spend the money on songs I already had. So I was in my 20s when I finally heard A Farewell to Kings and Cygnus X-1, and as I explained, I was around 50 when I finally heard Cinderella Man.

Pretty pathetic, I realize. I was, and remain (although to a lesser extent), a cheap *******.

Ha. I have a story about mostly (but not only) listening to side 1 of MP.

My musical intro was not unlike yours but for different reasons. My sister was older and until I got a stereo for the first time in 1980 I only had her disco singles, K-tel records, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Earth Wind and Fire, etc....

I had heard of Rush prior to that but only had exposure to one record because I was a drummer starting in 1978. In 1979 this other drummer in school band made some mention of the drummer from Rush and I was like "who". He made me come over to his house and proceeded to play me 2112 start to finish (again just the A side) and we listened to that over and over. But I still did not have a stereo myself, never bought records and so. I never heard anything else from Rush really and only heard 2112 through my friend.

When i got my stereo in the summer of 1980 I bought some rock records including
tom petty, pat benatar, eagles and a few others. But I did not buy Rush.

I was still drumming and had heard singles like Spirit of Radio. And then MP released in early 1981 and I heard both Limelight and Tom Sawyer and finally purchased my first Rush album,

So that summer I was turning 15 and I was lying out suntanning for the first time in my life. I was also reading books while I did that as my mom made me read like 10 books every summer and do book reports on them to keep me busy. So the timing was such that I was just reading The Count of Monte Cristo and had just acquired MP. I had my stereo speakers in my bedroom window so I could play radio or records and sit outside reading. I put Rush MP on and set the turntable to play it on repeat on A side and sat there reading The Count of Monte Cristo over about a weeklong period with MP playing over and over. To such a degree that ever since I have an odd association between that album and that book. Like I associate that book with that album but the A side only. I can't hear those songs without thinking about that book particularly Tom Sawyer and its themes of the rebellious hero steadfast in his beliefs and challenging the system. There were parallels to me in the hero of the book who clings to the truth and seeks his revenge on the system that screwed him over and resulted in him being falsely imprisoned,

Awesome story. Rush would be the perfect soundtrack to that book.
snowdog90
Tailgate88 said:

maroon barchetta said:

I'm sad for him

Same.

If you guys are so sad for me, I can set up a gofundme, and I can finally go buy A Farewell To Kings.

Maybe not.

Here's a few more songs that are vastly underrated from an album that is vastly underrated. If I ran the world, these would all have gotten tons of radio airplay.

Coog97
“Things weren’t gentle and politically correct in those days. We weren’t candy asses. Okay?”
-Frank Borman

“Who are you to doubt El Dandy? ‘Cause this guy’s a serious professional.”
-Bret Hart
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The production on Vapor Trails is awful.
maroon barchetta
Funky Winkerbean said:

Even the band doesn't like it. There was talk of remixing it and rereleasing.
G Martin 87
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

There is an official remixed version of the Vapor Trails album that corrects the bad sound mix from the original version. Make sure you get that one. (The album art has a white background on the remixed album.)
G Martin 87
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

You're in for a treat, then. The remix was released years ago.

https://www.rush.com/vapor-trails-remixed/

maroon barchetta
G Martin 87
AG
Re: Vapor Trails, one could argue that ALL of the tracks are underrated because the original recording was so terrible. I think it gets unfairly overlooked and forgotten as a result.
HtownAg92
AG
I don't know if this is a legit thread or just an excuse for Rush honks to one-up each other with their obscurity and deep cut knowledge, so that all can rub one out in a collective rock nerd circle j.

I'm kidding, to an extent. I was a full-fledged pimpled Rush dork up until about Grace Under Pressure, but then I let it go and it all kind of faded when I started getting laid. I don't think the 2 are compatible.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
So you're here to be the guy that's too cool for Rush?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Took long enough for "that guy" to show up in the thread.
Mathguy64
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I don't know if this is a legit thread or just an excuse for Rush honks to one-up each other with their obscurity and deep cut knowledge, so that all can rub one out in a collective rock nerd circle j.

I'm kidding, to an extent. I was a full-fledged pimpled Rush dork up until about Grace Under Pressure, but then I let it go and it all kind of faded when I started getting laid. I don't think the 2 are compatible.

Checks mental calendar of how many times I've gotten some in tne last 40 years.

Confirms I'm still a Rush fan.

Couterexample confirmed.
maroon barchetta
College girlfriend got us tickets to the Hold Your Fire show for Christmas.

Young lady I dated in the 90's loved Rush and Pink Floyd and Queensryche and lots of other rock bands. She was glad to go to a Rush show with me. That might have been the Test For Echo tour.

My wife got us tickets to Snakes and Arrows and we took the kids as well. It was great!

Sorry you ended up having to ditch the music you like because you could only find women that wanted you to take them to Madonna, Janet Jackson, Lilith Faire, and Britney Spears.
maroon barchetta
Know Your Enemy said:

Took long enough for "that guy" to show up in the thread.

I've been waiting.

It's not who I thought it would be.
Hub `93
AG
Earthshine is my second choice. Alex's playing on the song is beautiful.

The remixed version of VT is so good. I feel like I hear something new every time I listen to it.
HollywoodBQ
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Probably shouldn't tell you that the first concert I took my girlfriend (now wife) to was Rush at the Houston Summit on the Presto Tour. Of course her favorite part was the headbanging bunnies on Tom Sawyer.

HollywoodBQ
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Also, if we were just trying to one up each other, by now somebody would have talked about reading the National Midnight Star or at least being on syrinx.umd.edu or alt.music.rush

http://www.2112.net/syrinx/rush_faq.txt
snowdog90
maroon barchetta said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

I liked it a lot more than some other Rush albums, but I guess I'll have to check out the remixed versions and see how much better it sounds.
KidDoc
AG
I'm listening to the remix now, need to add Ghost Rider as one of my favorites forgot about that one.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
G Martin 87
AG
snowdog90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

I liked it a lot more than some other Rush albums, but I guess I'll have to check out the remixed versions and see how much better it sounds.
It's night and day. The original mix had so much clipping that all the detail was lost. The songs come alive on the remixed album. It has some of Alex's best playing.
HtownAg92
AG
Nah, moved toward alternative and club music so a different kind of girl. I'll still listen when a Rush song comes on Sirius or my whole library shuffle, just not as much a fan as I was when I was 13. Still know all of the drum licks in Moving Pictures, which I enthusiastically play out on my son's shoulder on the way to school.

He's not a fan of Tom Sawyer.
Rocagnante
AG
Britney Spears is a total panty dropper concert. I think Madonna might be as well….will report back in a couple months.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Rocagnante said:

Britney Spears is a total panty dropper concert. I think Madonna might be as well….will report back in a couple months.
If you're into single moms on a mother daughter weekend, you can't beat the Santa Clara Marriott when Taylor Swift is playing across the street at Levi's Stadium.
TX AG 88
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Off topic of the main thread, but I have the same association between Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic and the book "Alien". No More, No More and Round and Round REALLY take me back to the feeling of the eerie, stalked feeling of cramped cavernous-ness (can't really explain that better) that I imagined of the Nostromo!

Oh, and to add something to the point of the topic, has "Finding My Way" been mentioned? "Working Man" is one of my top few Rush favorites, but that one gets lots of praise. From the same album, FMW... not so much. But I like it!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.