Underrated Rush tunes

7,295 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by G Martin 87
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm reading Geddy's book My Effin' Life and as I often do while reading music autobiographies I listen to the music as I read along. I put on the first Rush album for the first time in many years and was reminded how much I loved this jam. Very Zeppelin-esque.

purplehayes
I'm a big obscure tune fan, and still frequently listen to "The Fountain of Lamneth" off of Caress of Steel. 'What You're Doing" is a great song though
Aust Ag
AG
Circumstances from Hemispheres.

and A Passage to Bangkok

and Entre Nous
Rocagnante
AG

Love this song live especially indoors.

Power Windows is an underrated album.
TwoTimeAg
AG
The Camera Eye
Hub `93
AG
maroon barchetta
I celebrate their entire catalog.
Know Your Enemy
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Look, man. I was specifically looking for your contributions to this thread. Don't let me down.
Aust Ag
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

maroon barchetta said:

Look, man. I was specifically looking for your contributions to this thread. Don't let me down.

Right. Give us at least 3 that a Rush fan might have missed.

Also, is By-Tor the greatest song they do live?
deadhead aggie
AG
Jacob's Ladder
maroon barchetta
I'm supposed to be practicing guitar right now.

On my Alex Lifeson PRS acoustic, of course.

I'll post some songs later. I need to think about it. It's hard to decide what is underrated vs just a personal favorite, and what era you started listening to them maybe affects what you think is NOT underrated when fans of other eras might not consider many tunes in that era at all.

SlackerAg
AG
Grand Designs
Trajan88
AG
I saw the "Power Windows" tour when it came through Dallas (@ Reunion Arena)... still have the concert t-shirt (does NOT still fit).

\m/
An L of an Ag
AG
It wasn't super critically acclaimed, but I always liked New World Man.
Joes
An L of an Ag said:

Most casual fans (not saying that's you) might be shocked that it's the highest charting song they ever released.
snowdog90
Well, this thread is definitely my jam.

Every Rush song is underrated. Songs like Xanadu, Natural Science, A Farewell to Kings - these are a few easy answers to the OP. I'm here to give the Rush songs that are underrated by Rush fans. And this is just the first installment.

An L of an Ag
AG
Wow, it was?!? I have always really liked Rush, but damn, I never knew that. Guess I never really paid enough attention to which songs charted where.
Rocagnante
AG
Trajan88 said:

I saw the "Power Windows" tour when it came through Dallas (@ Reunion Arena)... still have the concert t-shirt (does NOT still fit).

\m/

Caught that same tour in Austin. First Rush show and have seen every tour since then except R30.

It's hard to determine what constitutes an underrated Rush song. To me this song is not underrated but the casual Rush fan may never have heard it. I honestly don't remember if got any radio airplay.

Joes
An L of an Ag said:

Wow, it was?!? I have always really liked Rush, but damn, I never knew that. Guess I never really paid enough attention to which songs charted where.

Yes indeed. They never had much chart success though so it's a low bar. But tons of big bands are like that, including Led Zeppelin. Album bands in general had all sorts of well known songs that didn't actually chart well.

"It nonetheless remains Rush's only American Top 40 hit, peaking at No. 21 on the Billboard singles chart in October and November 1982"
maroon barchetta
An L of an Ag said:

It was literally the first single released off of Signals. I listened to the first play of it on Houston radio.
maroon barchetta
I'm almost willing to put a disclaimer that if a song appeared on multiple tour set lists, it's not "underrated".

Like Xanadu. Every Rush fan thinks that's one of the greatest songs ever written.
aggiebonzo
AG
deadhead aggie said:

Jacob's Ladder
This. Some tasty riffs in this one!
91_Aggie
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I'm reading Geddy's book My Effin' Life and as I often do while reading music autobiographies I listen to the music as I read along. I put on the first Rush album for the first time in many years and was reminded how much I loved this jam. Very Zeppelin-esque.

Might be that one but there was at least one song on that album that felt like a complete note for note zeppelin riff rip off
maroon barchetta
Cleveland radio broke them in the U.S. and fans were calling the station saying "play the Canadian Led Zeppelin!"
Aust Ag
AG
By-Tor

Or La Villa
snowdog90
maroon barchetta said:

Cleveland radio broke them in the U.S. and fans were calling the station saying "play the Canadian Led Zeppelin!"

A lot of Cleveland callers called in requesting the "new Led Zepplin song", which was Rush's "Working Man".
snowdog90
maroon barchetta said:

I'm almost willing to put a disclaimer that if a song appeared on multiple tour set lists, it's not "underrated".

Like Xanadu. Every Rush fan thinks that's one of the greatest songs ever written.

Agreed. And Xanadu is probably my favorite. Rick Beato, of youtube fame, called it Rush's greatest song, and I can't disagree.
maroon barchetta
Yep
snowdog90
Here's two slow Rush songs that I think are amazing and beautiful.

YouBet
AG
Historically, I hated Rush. About 10 years ago my Rush loving buddy gave me a thumb drive with every album they ever made. Uploaded it.

Because of the sheer number of albums and songs they are the most prolific group in my library. As a result, I've listened to a ton of a Rush because I just Sort Songs and go.

They still aren't my favorite and I never voluntarily listen to them, but I've learned to appreciate their talent and recognize their greatness.
snowdog90
YouBet said:

Historically, I hated Rush. About 10 years ago my Rush loving buddy gave me a thumb drive with every album they ever made. Uploaded it.

Because of the sheer number of albums and songs they are the most prolific group in my library. As a result, I've listened to a ton of a Rush because I just Sort Songs and go.

They still aren't my favorite and I never voluntarily listen to them, but I've learned to appreciate their talent and recognize their greatness.

Do you have some favorites?
Aggie87
AG
Here's another one - a Rush song with Tony Geranios singing.

YouBet
AG
snowdog90 said:

YouBet said:

Do you have some favorites?

The ones without vocals? I did hear a song on Power Windows the other day that I liked. Maybe it was the one someone mentioned earlier? I'll have to confirm. Problem is I don't know names of songs for any group much less Rush so I'll have to find the song by listening to album. Only reason I know Power Windows is an album name is because I literally just saw it this week on my tv.
Trajan88
AG
The first Texxas Jam I attended (1984).... Rush was the headliner touring in support of "Grace Under Pressure."

Yes, I still have that concert t-shirt (no it too no longer fits).

This song from that album is never played on Dallas radio. It should be. It is flat out epic.

\m/
Big Al 1992
AG
snowdog90 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Agreed. And Xanadu is probably my favorite. Rick Beato, of youtube fame, called it Rush's greatest song, and I can't disagree.

100%!!!

https://www.youtube.com/live/0UeGt2DcPHk?si=vZ32gqe9e-qicr-w
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.