*** CIVIL WAR *** (Kirsten Dunst, dir. Alex Garland)

21,140 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
bangobango
AG
Trailer I saw before Dune was terrifying. Hoping it manages political aspects well enough that the "my secession" people realize how terrible an actual war would be when we have it very good right now.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
All that said...

C@LAg

But to what end? Civil War offers a lot of food for thought on the surface, yet you're never quite sure what you're tasting or why, exactly. No one wants a PSA or easy finger-pointing here, any more than you would have wanted Garland's previous film Men as unnerving and nauseating a film about rampant toxic masculinity as you'll ever come across to simply scream "Harvey Weinstein!" at you.<<<<<possibly slight spoiler snipped just in case >>>> Yet you'll find yourself going back to that "explore or exploit" conundrum a lot during the movie's near-two-hour running time. It's feeding into a dystopian vision that's already running in our heads. Things fall apart, the center cannot hold, etc. So why does this just feel like more of the same white noise pitched at a slightly higher frequency?
bluefire579
AG
Captain Winky
"Left me shaking". Why do these nerds talk like this? I can't take any review like this seriously because they are always so dramatic and overblown.
Decay
AG
I need Kevin Smith to post a crying selfie before I truly believe it's good
TCTTS
AG
Captain Winky said:

"Left me shaking". Why do these nerds talk like this? I can't take any review like this seriously because they are always so dramatic and overblown.

I hear you, and agree that it's dramatic/overblown/cringe. That said, there are people out there who genuinely react like this. And they probably think it's just as weird how hard we root for/get worked up over sportstball. In fact, I see just as much cringe on Premium every week. This is simply how some people process the things they love.
PatAg
AG
Or think they are supposed to. Same thing really
Saxsoon
AG
I am looking forward to this. I think Alex Garland had a lot to make up for with Men as it seemed to really sour a lot of people on him. I think that the praise it is getting is probably legitimate
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Serious Lee
all those tweets talking about how they feel this is an accurate portrayal of things to come, probly the first to dismiss "predictive programming" as some conspiracy theory
Claude!
Captain Winky said:

I think it's turned into part of the cultural jargon. Like someone starting a reddit post with "Hear me out" or a home description always saying that the house is in this or that "sought after" subdivision. I don't even think they think about it.
KidDoc
AG
That trailer looks great!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BassCowboy33
Reviews for this are off the charts.
vettmaster99
AG
Don't waste your money…this movie sucked.
BQ08
AG
vettmaster99 said:

Don't waste your money…this movie sucked.
But there's two whole pages of tweets talking about how life changing this movie is…you've gotta be wrong!
TCTTS
AG
Maybe try the other thread, where the vast majority of the board liked it…

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3454231

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.