*** CIVIL WAR *** (Kirsten Dunst, dir. Alex Garland)

21,934 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by The Anchor
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TXAG 05 said:

DargelSkout said:

Sea Speed said:

Damn Kirsten I didn't know you were holding like that.

That guy looks like a fat Matt Damon.

That's why he's been known as "Fat Damon" for a long time now.
I think he has lost a lot of weight for this role

I saw Plemons in this movie about him being a rich @#$@ who is held hostage which was not great

and he was really fat
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

This sort of clear up the Texas-California alliance thing. They're not united as a single entity but both are independent states.

Kind of along the lines of something I mentioned earlier, some big philosophical differences but supportive of letting the other take the actions that they want as a state...err, Republic.
BassCowboy33
jeffk said:

This sort of clear up the Texas-California alliance thing. They're not united as a single entity but both are independent states.

People always think of secession as a two-sided affair. Tbh, I find it much more likely to be something like this, with a myriad of entities involved.

One thing that gets glossed over about the original Civil War is how close the Confederacy came to fracturing into numerous different states.
fig96
AG
I think a lot of people make things much more binary than they really are, I believe this so everyone else is on the other side.

In reality most issues are far more nuanced and most people fall generally in the middle with stronger feelings on one or two issues that are important to them.
BG Knocc Out
TCTTS said:

Clearly, you don't understand. Movies are meant to be exact facsimiles of real life, ones that must never explore themes or take artistic license at the expense of accuracy.

Fidelity is king.

Metaphors are for p*ssies.

Also, if any given movie doesn't promote my exact world view, it's a piece of sh*t, and goes without saying, agenda-driven. Yet, I will feel the need to b*tch about it endlessly to the very people who could not care less, because it's easier to define myself by what I hate, and express that hate as a means of virtue signaling on the internet.

I hope that clears things up for you.
Classic

Especially when reflecting on the "Sound of Freedom" thread and how that went.

I am hoping Civil War is good and doesn't try to be intentionally partisan or divisive. While the subject matter may not be entirely appropriate or "constructive" in a year like 2024...especially after the last nasty three years...if done correctly, it could be a riveting movie that appeals to a lot of people on both sides.

For some reason though, I am just expecting third term president Offerman to be a tyrannical "Trump" type character, or a republican at the very least. Would be absolutely SHOCKED if he is portrayed as a democrat, but we will see. Would be comical if so because it would absolutely enrage a lot of people on the left...us on the right though, we're just used to it and really only consider it annoying.
tk for tu juan
FL_Ag1998 said:

Lol, as usual, the movie hasn't even come out yet but Texags' Reality Experts have already descended on it with the intent of taking all the fun out it.

Just wait until the Masters of the Air episodes come out, the reality experts will make this thread and the Last of Us thread look like child's play
Sea Speed
AG
tk for tu juan said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Lol, as usual, the movie hasn't even come out yet but Texags' Reality Experts have already descended on it with the intent of taking all the fun out it.

Just wait until the Masters of the Air episodes come out, the reality experts will make this thread and the Last of Us thread look like child's play

I will once again remind the board of the 1917 thread where people argued about whether a downed German pilot would stab enemy infantry soldiers.
jeffk
AG
You're underselling it - 1917 was a *terrible movie* because of that scene.
cr0wbar
AG
Seems to me - that a vast majority of you just want a movie about the intricacies of each and every state's decision in secession in relation to the current political climate. I'll hang up and not listen
Decay
AG
I want this film to be Master and Commander level
BassCowboy33
Sea Speed said:

tk for tu juan said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

I will once again remind the board of the 1917 thread where people argued about whether a downed German pilot would stab enemy infantry soldiers.

Did this argument actually happen?
Sea Speed
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Sea Speed said:

tk for tu juan said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Oh absolutely it did. Go find the original 1917 thread or one of the spoiler threads. It was in one of them. Absolutely insane.
BassCowboy33
Sea Speed said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Sea Speed said:

tk for tu juan said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

Oh absolutely it did. Go find the original 1917 thread or one of the spoiler threads. It was in one of them. Absolutely insane.

Went back and found it. Pretty funny.
LMCane
This is nearly exactly what happened in the series "Jericho"

where there were 5 separate countries in what was the USA
pocketrockets06
AG
The subversive way to play the president is to have him start with a voiceover about the founding fathers and the Jeffersonian ideal which is why he's today announcing a merger of the Democratic and Republican parties to be the Democratic Republican Party once again. Credible path to one party rule, references to actual history and pokes a stick at everyone.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
pocketrockets06 said:

The subversive way to play the president is to have him start with a voiceover about the founding fathers and the Jeffersonian ideal which is why he's today announcing a merger of the Democratic and Republican parties to be the Democratic Republican Party once again. Credible path to one party rule, references to actual history and pokes a stick at everyone.

Thanks and gig'em
Aggie Infantry
AG
Perhaps the TX-CA alliance is just parts of CA? The state is pretty conservative once you get out of the big cities on the coast.

Think IL or NY. Once you are out of Chicago and NYC, it is pretty conservative. There just are not enough of them to swing the state to the R side.
When the truth comes out, do not ask me how I knew.
Ask yourself why you did not.
aTmAg
AG
Maybe Texas wants to secede and the fed government stamps it down. Then later, a GOP president wins the prez election, and then California decides to secede. But the new prez denies that too for consistency sake. So then Texas and California team up in a US/Soviet style alliance against a common enemy.
BassCowboy33
Aggie Infantry said:

Perhaps the TX-CA alliance is just parts of CA? The state is pretty conservative once you get out of the big cities on the coast.

Think IL or NY. Once you are out of Chicago and NYC, it is pretty conservative. There just are not enough of them to swing the state to the R side.
I don't think they have to be politically aligned. History is full of opposites fighting together against an opponent. It could just be as simple as both sides not liking the current state of things for different reasons and banding together to be their own nations.
javajaws
AG
What I'm hoping for is a civil war because of other reasons, not the normal left/right divide. And I hope they use that to show that the left/right is actually closer together than apart. Maybe they'll use it to re-assert to their viewers that America is actually a republic, not a pure democracy. And maybe the plot will end up being states asserting their state's rights under the Constitution instead of heavy handed centralized government from the feds in DC.
fig96
AG
I mentioned this earlier, they may not like each other but support each other's right to be independent. There's honestly a lot of interesting ways this could go, I'm looking forward to how they approach it.
aTmAg
AG
fig96 said:

I mentioned this earlier, they may not like each other but support each other's right to be independent. There's honestly a lot of interesting ways this could go, I'm looking forward to how they approach it.
One thing is almost certain: They will F it up somehow.
TCTTS
AG
From April 26...

Rocagnante
AG
Main thing I want to know is what happens to the format of the CFP in this scenario…,
Wes97
AG
I a am hopeful that this will be entertaining and not too current day political in nature.

It would obviously be pretty silly to have a right-wing Trump style President of the loyalist forces be the bad guy when it looks like it is most of the South (and Western mountain State's) that left the Union. CA being the one notable exception.
javajaws
AG
Rocagnante said:

Main thing I want to know is what happens to the format of the CFP in this scenario…,

Doesn't matter, Aggies still won't be in it.
MBAR
AG
If y'all think this won't be relevant to today's politics then lol
javajaws
AG
MBAR said:

If y'all think this won't be relevant to today's politics then lol

So would this be Hollywood inciting rebellion?
LMCane
javajaws said:

What I'm hoping for is a civil war because of other reasons, not the normal left/right divide. And I hope they use that to show that the left/right is actually closer together than apart. Maybe they'll use it to re-assert to their viewers that America is actually a republic, not a pure democracy. And maybe the plot will end up being states asserting their state's rights under the Constitution instead of heavy handed centralized government from the feds in DC.
I really doubt this movie is going to get into all those intricacies

it's an action movie.

likely we will never know why 5 countries emerged other than some reference to it blaming partisanship

fine by me.

I love end of days movies
MBAR
AG
Have y'all not watched Alex Garland movies? His last movie is literally titled Men and is definitely not something I'd expect to align with the politics of this board. Have y'all not seen Ex Machina? Devs? You're going to get a lot of small details that matter in this. Expecting this to be an action movie is the wrong approach and will more than likely leave you disappointed. Please do not burn this thread down when the movie that is released is the exact one many of you seem to be wishing it wont be.
Saxsoon
AG
MBAR said:

Have y'all not watched Alex Garland movies? His last movie is literally titled Men and is definitely not something I'd expect to align with the politics of this board. Have y'all not seen Ex Machina? Devs? You're going to get a lot of small details that matter in this. Expecting this to be an action movie is the wrong approach and will more than likely leave you disappointed. Please do not burn this thread down when the movie that is released is the exact one many of you seem to be wishing it wont be.

Having seen Men tells me this site is going to hate this movie
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
StinkyPinky
AG
MBAR said:

Ex-Machina is greatness!
YouBet
AG
Probably already posted but California has more Republicans than Texas in absolute numbers. There are 10M more people in California than Texas. So there is a scenario where this could happen just based on that.

I think folks just assume the entire state is deep blue. Like most states it's left wing in the urban areas and sane in the non-urban areas.
bluefire579
AG
Saxsoon said:

MBAR said:

That movie was way the **** out there
MBAR
AG
Saxsoon said:

MBAR said:

I mean I don't even know I really liked Men very much but as he's said this movie is a form of a companion to that movie I fully expect a full on meltdown here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.