*** CIVIL WAR *** (Kirsten Dunst, dir. Alex Garland)

21,933 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by The Anchor
cr0wbar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Damn Kirsten I didn't know you were holding like that.

Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

G.I.Bro said:

I'll go ahead and say it, I've never thought Kirsten Dunst was that attractive

Beautiful in person, and incredibly kind and down-to-earth too. I did a photo shoot with her (and Bryce Dallas Howard) years and years ago, and in all my time working on shoots, she was one of the only celebrities who made it a point to remember my name...

Since Bryce Dallas Howard wasn't referenced here's my assumption on how that one went.

TCTTS: Excuse me, Ms. Howard.
BDH: Yes?
TCTTS: Big fan, is it true that Clint Howard is your uncle?
BDH: Ron Howard is my father so...
TCTTS: Who?
BDH:
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Do you introduce your self to celebrities as TCTTS or the full Too Close to the Source?

BG Knocc Out
I am sure this movie won't paint people like me, my friends and family (just normal gun owning Americans who appreciate the Constitution and many of America's founding principles) as vicious monsters lol. Biden already called people like my mom "domestic terrorists" because she thought Trump as a less sh*tty choice than him (which I think most people can see).

I am sure with this coming out spring of an election year, they won't go to great lengths to demonize half of the country, who pretty much are only guilty of sharing similar values to most normal people 15-20 years ago.

I am honestly wondering the true motive of releasing this type of movie in what is already going to be a pretty tense and chaotic year. One thing I am absolutely 100% sure of...good normal patriotic people, like many of our parents and loved ones, won't be the protagonists.
Whos Juan
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

I am sure this movie won't paint people like me, my friends and family (just normal gun owning Americans who appreciate the Constitution and many of America's founding principles) as vicious monsters lol. Biden already called people like my mom "domestic terrorists" because she thought Trump as a less sh*tty choice than him (which I think most people can see).

I am sure with this coming out spring of an election year, they won't go to great lengths to demonize half of the country, who pretty much are only guilty of sharing similar values to most normal people 15-20 years ago.

I am honestly wondering the true motive of releasing this type of movie in what is already going to be a pretty tense and chaotic year. One thing I am absolutely 100% sure of...good normal patriotic people, like many of our parents and loved ones, won't be the protagonists.
That's a whole lot of projection there.
BG Knocc Out
TCTTS said:

In all seriousness...

A) This looks awesome. A24 + Alex Garland going big-budget IMAX has all the makings of something memorable/audacious at the very least.

B) As a resident of California who's from and still spends a ton of time in Texas, I can assure you the two states have way more in common than those whose perception of California is shaped only via Disneyland and Fox News might think. Both have massive Hispanic populations, both have huge swaths of rural, gun-owning farmers and ranchers, both feature big tech sectors (complete with tech bro culture, at least in Austin), and personally, I've met more people from Texas out here than from any other state. Yes, politically, they couldn't be any farther apart, but outside of the Hollywood bubble, culturally, they honestly don't feel all that different (and heck, even Dallas/Austin can be just as pretentious as Hollywood at times).
I'll be honest, Huntington Beach has more of a "right wing" feel than many rural small towns I have been in. Maybe there is just a strong contingent there who wear it on their sleeves and don't feel completely outnumbered like they would in San Fran or LA, but I was kind of surprised last few times we visited. Lot's of anti-Biden and pro-America stuff being flaunted.

Saw this guy back in on a Harley in the middle of main street and people were cheering him on. A few ladies I would have definitely incorrectly pegged as libs high fived him. I asked my wife "WTF is going on, are we not in California???".

Ervin Burrell
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

Good thing nobody is going to force you to watch it then.
BG Knocc Out
Ervin Burrell said:

BG Knocc Out said:

Good thing nobody is going to force you to watch it then.
Yep, but I bet this movie will be a hit with the millions of leftist tyrants who wanted to force me to get the worthless "vaccine" (or be fired, forcibly quarantined, lose custody of children etc etc).
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
Maybe see the movie, or at least wait for it to come out, before complaining about how it depicts your mom.
jeffk
AG
Surprise! I am forcing you to watch it!

How's that for tyranny!?
BG Knocc Out
Nanomachines son said:

Ha same...safe bet. I mean, our side will lose...but as an Aggie fan, I am more than used to it.
fig96
AG
LMCane
fig96 said:

I'd bet on something loosely based in current day politics then some wild tangent based on what we know of Garland. Excited for this one, his stuff is always thought provoking.

Also a kind of great moment in that trailer with Kirsten Dunst's husband holding them at gunpoint
the guy from Friday Night Lights married Kirsten Dunst?

never a fan of hers, but he is a great actor.
fig96
AG
LMCane said:

fig96 said:

I'd bet on something loosely based in current day politics then some wild tangent based on what we know of Garland. Excited for this one, his stuff is always thought provoking.

Also a kind of great moment in that trailer with Kirsten Dunst's husband holding them at gunpoint
the guy from Friday Night Lights married Kirsten Dunst?

never a fan of hers, but he is a great actor.
He did, they've been together for a while and have two kids.
Sea Speed
AG
I think assuming this is going to be based on current political tensions is going to be wrong. Maybe elements, but I really doubt it is a treatise on current right vs left.
Ervin Burrell
AG
F16 isn't just leaking, it's gushing.
BG Knocc Out
Sea Speed said:

I think assuming this is going to be based on current political tensions is going to be wrong. Maybe elements, but I really doubt it is a treatise on current right vs left.
The fact that this particular guy is making it, and not Rob Reiner or some other loony partisan shmuck, does give me some hope...I've just been conditioned over the years to always be the "villain" or "threat". Fingers crossed.
FL_Ag1998
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Chipotlemonger said:

AustinAg2K said:

Also, is there any doubt that if Texas and California ever did decide to work together that we would dominate?

As a Texan that is living in CA like TCTTS, I feel safe in saying that we would wipe the floor with the other side of this movie's civil war.

Is it wipe the floor of or wipe the floor with? Either way, y'all get my point.
Florida would be the only state I would worry about. It wouldn't shock me if Florida created an army of allegators with lasers on their head or something.

Soooo, anyway, to get this thread back on track, I'm assuming the Florida Alliance would utilize our abundance of methheads and "Florida-men" as berzerker-type infantry and then we just retreat back into the swamps and say "Come and get us!" like the Seminoles.

And to be honest, I bet at the end of the day the whole west coast would eventually be won over by conservative types. Even in WA and OR, you get outside of the big cities and its rachers and farmers.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
fig96
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yup, I think the California/Texas alliance makes that pretty obvious from the jump.
The Porkchop Express
You guys are burying the lead from the first 10 seconds of the trailer. Can you imagine how many insane people are in something called "The Florida Alliance"?
Sea Speed
AG
fig96 said:

Sea Speed said:

Yup, I think the California/Texas alliance makes that pretty obvious from the jump.

Imo it is an absolutely brilliant troll and makes me want to see this even more than I already did.
BCG Disciple
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

jeffk said:

You've already found the thread about this movie over on the politics forum. Why not keep your posts consolidated there?
I get the pre-First Man fallout from what was said in the marketing for that movie (Also, that was terrible marketing, they lost a lot of paying audience members for that).

I do not get why this guy is projecting so much with little to nothing to go off of from the movie or cast.
Fair point. In his defense the marketing poster / twitter splash is a close up of a sniper with painted nails. The subject matter and the purposeful choice of stills are specifically meant to cause us to hash this out with wild speculation.
Chipotlemonger
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

Chipotlemonger said:

jeffk said:

You've already found the thread about this movie over on the politics forum. Why not keep your posts consolidated there?
I get the pre-First Man fallout from what was said in the marketing for that movie (Also, that was terrible marketing, they lost a lot of paying audience members for that).

I do not get why this guy is projecting so much with little to nothing to go off of from the movie or cast.
The LGBTQ sniper guy with died hair and trans-flag painted nails is a pretty solid indicator of how this movie will very likely go. I don't need to project. Small chance I could be wrong, and I'll eat crow. Not like Hollywood doesn't have a pretty consistent track record though for people even just slightly paying attention.

I'm out, sorry to upset so many grown men on here. You guys are probably right, this won't be a very political movie.
I didn't see the nails/hair a callout to any group at all. Just marketing to a generation of Fortnite and CoD players because of how goofy characters look in the new shooter games.
InternetFan02
AG
I'm just glad a movie like this from a prestige director will impact the monoculture as we move away from the superhero era. Annihilation was a decent movie but had zero cultural footprint as it was released at arguably the peak of superhero culture in spring 2018 (black panther, infinity war)
Rudyjax
AG
WTF happened to this thread?

The Porkchop Express
Ervin Burrell said:

F16 isn't just leaking, it's gushing.
PatAg
AG
Persecution complex
CheeseSndwch
Are those Boogaloo Boys at 0:35!?
Decay
AG
CheeseSndwch said:

Is this not literally the boogaloo in movie form
Decay
AG
Decay said:

CheeseSndwch said:

Is this not literally the boogaloo in movie form

And it just occurred to me that it's very meta since Electric Boogaloo was a movie and Boogaloo references that... My head hurts
ABATTBQ11
AG
This looks... Stupid.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

From writer/director Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine, Ex Machina, Annihilation, Devs) comes a movie that feels tailor-made for the TexAgs F13/F16 discourse...

Civil War
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17279496/
April 26, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

Please allow an honest and thoughtful response and yes I posted something similar on F16. Disclaimer - this is "war gaming" and not me advocating for any of the possibilities I may float out there and based on what little is provided in the trailer set against a realistic background of current American and global political, economic, and cultural realities.

My takes from the trailer.
Texas and California have seceded, for a "Western State Alliance" and are at war with the US/DC.
Florida has formed an additional alliance and seceded (assume with much of the Southeast states).
19 total states have left the union.
The POTUS is a Republican and a "Trump like" version. Mentions he is a three term president. Also mentions he has used air strikes against US cities and citizens. This makes it very clear he is a Republican as Hollywood would absolutely not make a film where a democrat president does this (even though Biden has made snarky comments about it).

So stop there. The country looks at this discussion strictly in terms of right vs left. Democrats vs Republicans. Liberals vs Conservatives. In that light, it's a pretty ridiculous argument unless rational people are willing to reasonably debate the notion of a peaceful and amicable national divorce. That would make for a very boring movie where both sides act like adults and split up the assets and liabilities, make sure the kids will be ok, and move on.

So having no idea where this film is really going, I start to think on what scenario(s) would make this not so ridiculous and potentially plausible. So here is the what I came up with if I were a Hollywood writer and it's my pitch meeting.

A "Trump like" POTUS is elected. He wants payback. He's hell bent, old as ****, rich as hell, and has zero F's to give. He starts making life really hard on his perceived enemies including states, senators, and reps he feels, or even knows, went against him. And yes, this includes Republicans.

Florida's governor is a "DeSantis like" character. HIs side won but he hates Trump and should (that's reality). The "Trump like" fictional POTUS is going after him and his state hard out of spite. At the same time, the "Trump like" POTUS is going after blue states hard, in particular California. The "Trump" POTUS is so fixated on punishing CA and FL that he does little to engage in on the border crisis which is leaving Texas and Arizona in an absolute **** show disaster (this is reality and we all know it).

CA Governor says CA is leaving and secedes. He takes WA, OR, and HI with him. Florida (DeSantis like) gov, who hates Trump, decides he has had enough too and leaves and takes LA, MS, AL, SC, and half off GA with him. Texas is isolated and says F it and militarizes to stop the third world invasion pouring in as the feds continue to do nothing then ultimately follows CA's lead and secedes taking OK, AR, and western NM with them with open offers to the midwest, mountain states, and Alaska to join them.

Now sh** gets really interesting. The CA governor convinces the TX governor to ally with them despite their deep cultural differences, against a common enemy in DC. Stronger together. And when it's done, we recognize each other and our borders and create economic and security pacts for mutual benefit.

Shortly after seceding, China diplomatically recognizes the new Republic of CA and offers military aide. Canada and several other Pacific Rim nations declare neutrality but affirm the California Republic's right to exist and offer diplomatic ties. This sends the remaining US in to a tizzy and causes TX and FL a great bit of distress, leading to TX and FL joining and forming the Republic of the Gulf States of America.

It's then revealed that California (hello Gov Newsome) and big tech have been secretly having this conversation with communist China for a long time. And that Texas and the O&G sector have pitched his to western and central Europe in the wake of Russia's bullsh** in Ukraine and have signed off on multi decade agreements to supply them with refined gasoline, diesel, and LNG, this making the Gulf States Republic the world's epicenter in O&G production.

What's left of the US Army initiates a coup and throws out the POTUS. Congress votes to allow what is left of the US to remain or peacefully be annexed by either the California or Gulf States Republics. Eventually the three counties agree to non aggression pacts and North America is forever changed. At some point in the future, the legacy US and the Gulf States Republic end up at war with California when the Chinese take complete control and push east.

Again, the notion off lib vs conservative, dem vs repub, civil war, is pretty dumb for many reasons. But if you start factoring geopolitics, regional economics, foreign influence, energy needs and natural resources, it starts becoming realistic. It's not about cultural and politics at that point. It's about wealth and survival.

If I was writing an American Civil War movie in this day and age, that's where I would take it.
Saxsoon
AG
Look I normally not a huge fan of F16 invading this forum but I think in this case it is one that is a little more warranted on where it could go. I do think regardless this is a bit of a reckless movie to be released next year but oh well. I feel like the Texas California merger was trying to head off some of the more obvious parallels out there but even I have more than a few questions (I am a fan of Garland so I am interested regardless)
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
jeffk
AG
I do think it's interesting how in most imagined secession scenarios it's assumed that the general population of all these states blindly follows the lead of a partisan politician (often a presidential candidate) and is cool with leaving to form a new nation. The state-level breakdown of presidential elections is typically no where near the consensus you'd need to accomplish that move without massive amounts of internal conflict and likely bloodshed.

Hopefully the impetus for the breakup in this movie is something more compelling than "I don't like the President."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.