*** CIVIL WAR *** (Kirsten Dunst, dir. Alex Garland)

20,982 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
From writer/director Alex Garland (28 Days Later, Sunshine, Ex Machina, Annihilation, Devs) comes a movie that feels tailor-made for the TexAgs F13/F16 discourse...

Civil War
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17279496/
April 26, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Thunder18
fig96
AG
This is the dumbest most unrealistic movie ever or I think this idea is great and I hope it happens even if it means we have to partner with stupid Californians.

Just covering my bases ahead of time.
The Marksman
AG
So in for this movie!
TCTTS
AG
In all seriousness...

A) This looks awesome. A24 + Alex Garland going big-budget IMAX has all the makings of something memorable/audacious at the very least.

B) As a resident of California who's from and still spends a ton of time in Texas, I can assure you the two states have way more in common than those whose perception of California is shaped only via Disneyland and Fox News might think. Both have massive Hispanic populations, both have huge swaths of rural, gun-owning farmers and ranchers, both feature big tech sectors (complete with tech bro culture, at least in Austin), and personally, I've met more people from Texas out here than from any other state. Yes, politically, they couldn't be any farther apart, but outside of the Hollywood bubble, culturally, they honestly don't feel all that different (and heck, even Dallas/Austin can be just as pretentious as Hollywood at times).
Average Joe
AG
I'm going to guess that nothing in the current political environment is used as the basis for seceding in the movie.
Fenrir
I hope not. Would make it far more enjoyable if they're not trying to shoehorn some real world politics into this imo.

I love Alex Garland. Only thing he has written that I've watched and really just didn't enjoy was Annihilation. Haven't seen all of his stuff but his stuff has been consistently enjoyable for me.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, you're probably right. I would expect some kind of twist of sorts as well. Also, everyone was expecting this to be sci-fi, seeing as it's Alex Garland, and I'm seeing a decent amount of surprise that it's not. But I guess there's still technically room for that element in some small/subtle way.
fig96
AG
I'd bet on something loosely based in current day politics then some wild tangent based on what we know of Garland. Excited for this one, his stuff is always thought provoking.

Also a kind of great moment in that trailer with Kirsten Dunst's husband holding them at gunpoint
BassCowboy33
I'm in.
TCTTS
AG
fig96 said:

I'd bet on something loosely based in currently day politics then some wild tangent based on what we know of Garland. Excited for this one, his stuff is always thought provoking.

Also a kind of great moment in that trailer with Kirsten Dunst's husband holding them at gunpoint

Totally.

And yeah, I love the Jesse Plemons cameo.
G.I.Bro
I knew the "what kind of Americans are you?" Line was coming, but Jesse's delivery still got me
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Maybe the " big one" finally happened. LA and San Fransisco end up in the Pacific and everyone left joins Texas.
Apache
AG
The thread about this film will generate 20+ pages on content on F16.
Giddyup.
Sea Speed
AG
Apache said:

The thread about this film will generate 20+ pages on content on F16.
Giddyup.

Probably, but even in this trailer it doesn't beat you over the head with politics. Yea I get they secede over presumed political differences, but it doesn't seem to be about the cause du jour like a lot of films, at least from the trailer. I think it looks awesome.
BCG Disciple
AG
CA conservatives pushed too far and overtook their state? Then form the Western alliance with Texas to s-e-c-ede from the union?

I'm in.
Rudyjax
AG
Yep, Sacramento down through the valley is very similar to Texas. Orange county is texas with a nice beach.

Vince Blake
I am a huge Alex Garland fan and on that reason alone I will give this a shot. But this feels like some goofy early 90s broadcast TV miniseries.
Rudyjax
AG
Man, i love his book The Beach. Haven't really seen anything he's done other than that.
TCTTS
AG
jeffk
AG
Damn, I had such high hopes when we sent Ron Swanson to the White House.
Claude!
Gotta thing that the Statue of Liberty's torch would not make a great sniper post.

Premise looks ridiculous, but could be fun.
Rudyjax
AG
Who do we root for?

DrEvazanPhD
Should be called "War Between the States"
Fenrir
Never mind that putting sandbags up there is impractical and probably wouldn't even work.

2/10 would not watch.
TCTTS
AG
Texifornia for life!
Vince Blake
Oh God…I-35 is going to start being called "The Three-Five".
fig96
AG
BCG Disciple said:

CA conservatives pushed too far and overtook their state? Then form the Western alliance with Texas to s-e-c-ede from the union?

I'm in.
I can see some kind of scenario where they both wanted to secede and despite having some fundamental differences supported each other's right to do so, then realized the potential for pooled resources and made an uncomfortable alliance.

Actually really intrigued to see how they spin that despite all the idiots on Twitter already talking about how dumb the idea is, Garland is a really smart guy and I'm sure has thought this through.
TCTTS
AG
Vince Blake said:

Aggie_Journalist
AG
The only realistic explanation I can think for Texas and California to be on the same side of a civil war is if the civil war were a military coup led by a general who just happened to have sway over personnel in those states.

The movie's plot kind of looks like that aborted Wagner uprising / coup in Russia. A bunch of military folks revolt and start roadtripping toward the capital guns blazing.

Edit: elaborating on what the premise may be… they could say there's a contested election where at least one influential general thinks the wrong person ends up on top, and so they launch a coup with forces from Texas and California to "restore democracy"
Thanks and gig'em
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Vince Blake said:

Hop on the 101 to I-10, take a right and drive for 20 hours and go back to Texas where you belong!
G.I.Bro
Maybe California gets attacked and is unhappy with a lack of response from the federal government, they say they'll retaliate themselves and texas is like hell yeah brother count us in.
Leggo My Elko
AG
A big budget, original story, political action movie not aimed at an international audience?

What is this the late 90's?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.