*** THE KILLER *** (Michael Fassbender, dir. David Fincher)

10,845 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by idAg09
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was thinking about this movie today and need some insight...

Why did he let the final guy live? I don't really remember the dialogue, so hopefully, when it hits Netflix I can watch it again, but interested in hearing others takes
TCTTS
AG
Was wondering the same thing, and so far I only have two half-assed explanations. The first is that Fassbender's character kept talking about "forbidding empathy" throughout, but then by letting the guy live he kind of sort of expressed empathy in the end? Thus going from "one of the few" in the beginning to "one of the many" in the end? Granted, that's not an explanation, but more of an evolution, and one that doesn't feel very Fincher-esque. The only other thing I can think of is that it has something to with all the gig economy/capitalism stuff throughout. From WeWork to Airbnb to McDonald's to Amazon to Ace Hardware to the Equinox knockoff, etc, etc, there were so many corporate brands throughout, while Fassbender's character was "an atomized digital nomad, conversant in grindset and Gladwellspeak" (a line I pulled from a review). So the "final boss" being a techy billionaire hedge fund d*uche - the type of guy who's essentially responsible for the world we/Fassbender's character inhabits/depends on - felt very intentional in that sense. And maybe Fassbender's character either realized what he thought was the necessity in there being sh*tty ruthless billionaires at the top, or the pointlessness in killing him? I don't know, something along those lines? While I loved the overall look, vibe, story, etc, I was going to do the same and revisit a few scenes on Netflix, in search of an explanation, and I have a feeling when I do I'll have an even better appreciation for what Fincher was going for.
TCTTS
AG
While they don't outright answer the question, these two articles I found at least help rationalize it all...

https://www.looper.com/1438529/the-killer-ending-explained-netflix/
https://filmcolossus.com/the-killer-2023-explained

And then a couple replies from reddit that help explain the decision more practically...

1) What is going on with The Killer is too subtle and the audience only gleans unto it thanks to a throwaway line by Tilda Swinton's doomed character. It's more laid out in the graphic novel. He's tired of it all. That failed shot in the beginning and the subsequent bad decisions/mishaps that happens to him is because he is tired of the killings. Those monologues aren't just stream of conciousness but almost a motivator for him to keep going. But he is done. By letting that guy live is just a testament to how he wants to get out. No more rationalizing murder, he just wants peace and to sit on the beach with his gal.

2) Pretty sure he explained in dialogue leading up to that scene that it's hard to remove a high-profile target because of their stature and connections. A cabbie gets killed and life goes on. A billionaire investor with his hands in dozens of pies gets killed and it's a news story, a manhunt, a scandal, a whole ass investigation. Not worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/17nco2y/the_killer_2023_ending_question/
BassCowboy33
Saw it the other night. Man, that was good. Might be my second favorite of the year behind Oppenheimer. I admit to being a sucker for Fincher's style. Gonna watch it again once it hits Netflix to pick up on some of the subtleties. Fassbender was fantastic.
Redstone
AG
I like Fassbender in MacBeth, which is worth checking out out if you haven't seen it. From 2015.
AG
Good to hear and will watch this once it hits Netflix.

Fassbender was on the way to being my favorite actor in the past with performances like Shame, Inglorious *******s, and Steve Jobs. Don't remember him being in anything noteworthy lately but may have missed some movies.
Sex Panther
AG
Redstone said:

I like Fassbender in MacBeth, which is worth checking out out if you haven't seen it. From 2015.

me too
TCTTS
AG
Reminder that this is now out on Netflix.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Checking out this weekend.
astros4545
AG
210 said:

Good to hear and will watch this once it hits Netflix.

Fassbender was on the way to being my favorite actor in the past with performances like Shame, Inglorious *******s, and Steve Jobs. Don't remember him being in anything noteworthy lately but may have missed some movies.
Busy getting busy with Alilcia Vikander

Probably can't find a reason to prioritize working
Cliff.Booth
A lot of people weren't fans of Alien Prometheus and Covenant but his role as David in those movies was excellent.
Prosperdick
AG
"Lovely, humid New Orleans. A thousand restaurants, only one menu."

For some reason his delivery of that line killed me.
YouBet
AG
Queued. We just watched Zodiac for first time a few months ago. Great movie that was.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

A lot of people weren't fans of Alien Prometheus and Covenant but his role as David in those movies was excellent.

Covenant was ok not great I agree, but I still think Prometheus was fantastic. Criminally underrated. It was moody. Visually outstanding. Not perfect by any means, but it's hardly Godfather III either.

And yes, MF was awesome in both.

jamesagg
AG
YouBet said:

Queued. We just watched Zodiac for first time a few months ago. Great movie that was.

Just watched it for the first time recently? I wish I came across something line Zodiac for the first time. Anytime it's on I stop and watch. It's a top 10 of the last 20 years movie for me.
jamesagg
AG
TCTTS said:

While they don't outright answer the question, these two articles I found at least help rationalize it all...

https://www.looper.com/1438529/the-killer-ending-explained-netflix/
https://filmcolossus.com/the-killer-2023-explained

And then a couple replies from reddit that help explain the decision more practically...

1) What is going on with The Killer is too subtle and the audience only gleans unto it thanks to a throwaway line by Tilda Swinton's doomed character. It's more laid out in the graphic novel. He's tired of it all. That failed shot in the beginning and the subsequent bad decisions/mishaps that happens to him is because he is tired of the killings. Those monologues aren't just stream of conciousness but almost a motivator for him to keep going. But he is done. By letting that guy live is just a testament to how he wants to get out. No more rationalizing murder, he just wants peace and to sit on the beach with his gal.

2) Pretty sure he explained in dialogue leading up to that scene that it's hard to remove a high-profile target because of their stature and connections. A cabbie gets killed and life goes on. A billionaire investor with his hands in dozens of pies gets killed and it's a news story, a manhunt, a scandal, a whole ass investigation. Not worth it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/17nco2y/the_killer_2023_ending_question/

I agree with these. It jives with his commentary that he has when walking up to the restaurant that Tilda Swinton is in when he says when a woman is murdered and there's no sexual assault it's assumed it's the husband/boyfriend.
YouBet
AG
jamesagg said:

YouBet said:

Just watched it for the first time recently? I wish I came across something line Zodiac for the first time. Anytime it's on I stop and watch. It's a top 10 of the last 20 years movie for me.
Yep, I had never heard of it somehow. I obviously know what the story is about but missed the movie along the way.
Cliff.Booth
I get that if this doesn't happen the plot doesn't follow, but if I had hired an assassin to take out some high profile competitor and he failed, I'm not sure I'd be interested in harming said assassin's family and having him think *I* was responsible for that. I'd be like.....good try dude, have another shot at it. but I guess that would make for a boring movie.
captkirk
AG
Prosperdick said:

"Lovely, humid New Orleans. A thousand restaurants, only one menu."

For some reason his delivery of that line killed me.
He's not wrong. I chuckled as well
Redstone
AG
Zodiac was well discussed and reviewed at release. I saw it on opening day. A bit surprised you weren't aware.
BassCowboy33
Redstone said:

Zodiac was well discussed and reviewed at release. I saw it on opening day. A bit surprised you weren't aware.

It has one of the great suspense scenes of all time when he's in the basement of that dude's home. Right up there with Anton Chigurh stalking Brolin in the hotel.
GoAgs92
AG
TCTTS said:

Basically... Fincher meets Wick meets Bourne meets Bond.

Except way more cold, clinical, and cynical. With way more sleuthing and way less action (though it's briskly paced and there is one great fight scene).

If anything, it'll make you want to take a vengeful, solo, spy-centric trot around the globe. It's one of those movies that makes walking out of the theater, into the parking the garage, and driving home feel like a mission, where you're constantly clocking the security cameras and checking your rear-view to see if anyone's following you.

"A witty assassin thriller for the gig economy" is the most apt headline I've seen so far, one that will make more sense once you've seen the movie.

It also features the best cinematography of the year, hands down.

And is brilliantly soundtracked by The Smiths (11 songs from them total), Trent Reznor, and Atticus Ross. With Fincher's music video background able to subtly shine through here and there.

All that said… this is NOT a movie for everyone.

And it's definitely a more "minor" Fincher entry, more in line with The Game and Panic Room than Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Gone Girl. You could almost mistake it for a tight Steven Soderbergh thriller, if not for all the Fight Club-esque philosophizing, the winking product placement, and signature, jaw-dropping lighting throughout.

Overall, I'd say I really, really liked it - if anything, for me the look of this thing was euphoric at times - but I didn't love it. That could certainly change, though, after I watch it again, which I definitely will once it comes to Netflix next week. Looking forward to reading everyone else's reactions once it does.
Agree with most of this but I wouldn't call the pacing brisk.

10 edits though?
GoAgs92
AG
I think he let the guy go for a few reasons, 1. The guy clearly wasn't in the business of getting people killed so all of his contacts were likely dead 2. If he did kill him he'd be looking over his shoulder forever
FL_Ag1998
AG
14 yr old son and I liked it. And the fight scene was really well done. I don't know how to describe the technical reasons for why it was better than your average fight scene but man it was so brutal, like you felt the two of them crashing through the house. As far as one on one fights I'd rank it above even one on one John Wick fight scenes.
jamesagg
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

14 yr old son and I liked it. And the fight scene was really well done. I don't know how to describe the technical reasons for why it was better than your average fight scene but man it was so brutal, like you felt the two of them crashing through the house. As far as one on one fights I'd rank it above even one on one John Wick fight scenes.

I agree. That was one of the better fight scenes I've seen in awhile.
Redstone
AG
Fincher also has a series on Netflix, the 2 season long Mindhunter.
Snake Farmer
He said that that meeting would go one of two ways depending on the look on the guy's face. The guy looked genuinely confused and didn't think there was a reason someone would come try and kill him and so that was why he let him live
Snake Farmer
He said that that meeting would go one of two ways depending on the look on the guy's face. The guy looked genuinely confused and didn't think there was a reason someone would come try and kill him and so that was why he let him live

Eta to follow up on what goags said earlier, he even got the lawyers name wrong. He was not a part of this world and it would have been too much trouble to kill him.

I really liked the movie and fassbenders narration. Also loved the sub pop shirt the billionaire was wearing.
Redstone
AG
kudos to Netflix, whom I rarely praise, for this. More quality and much less quantity, please!!!
YouBet
AG
Redstone said:

I wasn't aware because I was having sex with your mom on opening day.
GoAgs92
AG
Quit disguising average posts that don't spoil anything as spoilers Redstone
TCTTS
AG
I re-watched the first 20 minutes late last night (basically the opening sequence), and...

A) this thing looks absolutely breathtaking in 4K on Netflix. Fincher's cinematography is unmatched - almost euphoric at times - and he's somehow raised his game even more here. It's just utter perfection.

B) even re-watching just the opening sequence, this movie is already moving up my Fincher rankings. It's so damn good, and I cannot wait to finish it in the next day or two.
YouBet
AG
Sort of wish I wasn't going to watch us lose tonight and would watch this instead.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, same. I can't remember the last time I actively dreaded an Aggie football game.
GoAgs92
AG
Defense going to have to win this one

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.