*** THE KILLER *** (Michael Fassbender, dir. David Fincher)

10,832 Views | 117 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by idAg09
Cliff.Booth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It doesn't seem like the kind of movie where you're meant to pull for any characters. It's simply a cool, well-produced movie about a meticulous assassin for hire. There weren't any heroes here, just a calculating killer, his targets, and a few innocent bystanders. I kind of got that impression from the trailer, which is why I just went in expecting to be Finchered.
Cliff.Booth
Also I'm noticing that a lot of people seem upset about the cabbie getting offed but where are the tears for the dominatrix who got pink-misted? She was a person too, damnit.
AgHawkeye
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

It doesn't seem like the kind of movie where you're meant to pull for any characters. It's simply a cool, well-produced movie about a meticulous assassin for hire. There weren't any heroes here, just a calculating killer, his targets, and a few innocent bystanders. I kind of got that impression from the trailer, which is why I just went in expecting to be Finchered.

I agree completely. It was just unique to be an hour and half into a movie, actually be interested enough to want to see how it turned out but not really care which way it goes. Fassbender could get his revenge or he could die trying. Either way it is an interesting story and character study but I wasn't rooting for anybody.
fig96
AG
Watched this over the weekend and unlike some here really enjoyed it, was interesting to get into his head more than the typical assassin for hire type plot. I found his internal monologues super entertaining, Fincher amped up the tension as always and of course shot it beautifully.

To each their own.
LMCane
AgHawkeye said:

I actually enjoyed it overall but was just never invested. There were no likable characters (other than the taxi driver) and although I was interested in where the story was going was never pulling for Fassbenders character. Was I supposed to feel bad for him that his girlfriend got attacked after he is going around killing for money? I just found it to be an interesting story with no real emotional involvement. Probably spent a bit too much time watching Fassbender sit in a car as well.
definitely the movie focused on the actual drudgery of day to day life as an assassin

so it's not all glitz and glamour like in a Bond movie
Cliff.Booth
Funnily enough, I kind of see it as a less comedic take on the same concept as Grosse Pointe Blank. It's just business, nothing romantic or dashing, have to depersonalize it and just do the task etc etc. I think Martin and Fassbender's character would see eye to eye.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man, I am an hour in and this is just not doing it for me. What a snooze fest.

I'm gonna keep going just for completion. But I expected way more from Fincher.
EllisCoAg
AG
I liked it and love the various alias names he used
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No need to complete it. Total snooze fest.
TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That really was.

What was the point of this movie? Paper thin plot, no discernible character arc, just stuff happening.

At least half of this movie is just watching Fassbender walking, driving, or standing around silently.
InternetFan02
AG
Enjoyed the movie with my teenage sons but halfway through we realized that all of the ridiculous internal dialog reminded us of Joe from the You series (somewhere around the WWJWBD line). So we spent the last half laughing about how Joe turned into John Wick. Also kept waiting for something other than the Smiths…should have known better - found one review that said least sociopathic smiths fan ever
idAg09
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

No need to complete it. Total snooze fest.

I was hoping it would get better but it didn't. Now my wife won't let me pick a movie for a while haha

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.