Anyone seen Sound of Freedom?

125,614 Views | 1511 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by General Jack D. Ripper
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Cliff.Booth said:

Macarthur said:

Seems like a really weird thing for people to get bent out of shape about.

You could see it that way, or you could consider that it's a pretty weird move to make in the first place. Why not just make a faitful adaptation that heavily relies upon the nostalgia factor to make money? What is wrong with that? Disney's marketing tactic for the last few years has been "this ain't your grandma's _______." It's the lamest form of pandering. They could be making bank if they'd just respond to what most of their potential audience wants. The woke crowd wouldn't hype it, but they had disdain for Top Gun Maverick and Mario Bros and those still did really well. Like was said before, just stop listening to them, their praise and shaming are equally empty.

I feel like you read 2 or 3 random tweets by psychos in their basement and then just paint with the broadest of brushes. You went from "the entire woke left" criticized Top Gun Maverick, to "go look at reddit and twitter" and I can't think of one person in real life I know (many progressive, liberal, etc.) who had anything but good things to say about that movie. Hell Spielberg stopped Tom Cruise at the Oscars and told him he saved cinema with that movie.

The only person *****ing about Mario Bros was Leguizamo and nobody gives a **** about him at all. So it was him + a few trolls online. Maybe a random axios article that nobody gave a **** about, but that's a far cry from some wave of criticism.
I'm going to head in to my weekend, a wedding, and family vacation, taking your post at face value. I hope this is really the case. I would like to believe we all are in fact too influenced by the bubbles we live in. And we all live in bubbles whether we can admit it or not.
StandUpforAmerica
An interesting take on why the left is pushing back (unsuccessfully) on this movie.

Quote:

Another reason for the acrimonious treatment "Sound of Freedom" has received may have to do with its grave subject matter. Not that Hollywood is averse to making movies showing far worse portrays of slavery (sexual or otherwise) as in films like "Schindler's List" or "Twelve Years a Slave." These were all historical films where viewers and critics could watch or analyze the film from the comfort and safety of living in a (arguably) more civilized world.

But to watch a film about an egregious problem that's happening right now may be a bit too much for some. Not just because it is emotionally draining, but because it may tug at the consciences of the viewer in a manner similar to how most modern people think about modern consumer goods. They want the comfort and status that technology brings but don't want to see or think about the near-slave (and often child) labor or animal cruelty that goes into producing all of the goods that make our modern lifestyles possible.

It is much easier to look at the world, and a film like "Sound of Freedom," through various ideological "-isms" and "-phobias," which offer a plausible degree of separation from the evils we are complicit in. This way no moral demands are made on us to actually do something about those evils.
StandUpforAmerica
It is pretty impressive that Sound of Freedom came in at #3 this last weekend... ahead of Mission Impossible.
https://www.imdb.com/chart/boxoffice/
BCG Disciple
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

It is pretty impressive that Sound of Freedom came in at #3 this last weekend... ahead of Mission Impossible.
https://www.imdb.com/chart/boxoffice/

Looking at the daily on boxofficemojo, it looks like SoF was #1 on Thursday. Mission Impossible edged it out Monday through Wednesday, but SoF overtook it on Thursday through the weekend.
Squadron7
AG
I'm wondering if Sound of Freedem might actually overtake Indiana Jones in domestic box office at some point.
Pizza
Squadron7 said:

I'm wondering if Sound of Freedem might actually overtake Indiana Jones in domestic box office at some point.

Kevin McCarthy is holding a screening for it, and inviting lawmakers from all sides to attend.
caleblyn
Saw it tonight with two of my kids. Great movie. Well done and portrays something very real. I support several orphanages in India that rescue children from traffickers. Another movie that portrays it is Slumdog Millionaire.
caleblyn
Also, my theater was sold out.
La Bamba
AG
In-laws watched it and recommended it. Will need to get to it at some point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChickenAndWafflesAg
AG
My husband and I saw it yesterday and we were happy to see that the theater was full. Great movie but dang it really pulls on the heart. Glad they are putting a spot light on child trafficking. Not sure why all the backlash b/c other than a couple of references to God (which I am glad was in the movie) there wasn't anything divisive or political in my opinion.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Another Doug said:

tk for tu juan said:

There was a thread in one forum that had hundreds of pages and thousands of replies until it was deleted in 2020 or 2021, yet no one from that forum has any knowledge of what was inside it.
There are two types of forum16 posters on Texags, those who posted on Q-anon, and those who's account were conveniently created after the thread was deleted.
Nah. You're either just uniformed, disingenious, a liar, or a dog faced pony soldier.

My guess is all of the above since your statement is 100% false and that's a fact, Jack.

ETA: Thanks for ruining Another thread, Doug. You're seriously the worst.
aTmAg
AG
Weird, I joined TexAgs in 2001 and didn't post in Q-Anon threads (other than to mock them).
Another Doug
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Another Doug said:

tk for tu juan said:

There was a thread in one forum that had hundreds of pages and thousands of replies until it was deleted in 2020 or 2021, yet no one from that forum has any knowledge of what was inside it.
There are two types of forum16 posters on Texags, those who posted on Q-anon, and those who's account were conveniently created after the thread was deleted.
Nah. You're either just uniformed, disingenious, a liar, or a dog faced pony soldier.

My guess is all of the above since your statement is 100% false and that's a fact, Jack.

ETA: Thanks for ruining Another thread, Doug. You're seriously the worst.
Every prolific forum16 poster on this "I don't even know what Q is" thread, posted on the Qanon thread, yourself included. I checked.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
So what? You think this proves something about these people and that it's all encompassing?
Another Doug
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

So what? You think this proves something about these people and that it's all encompassing?
No. There was a sentiment express earlier in this thread that Qanon was some fringe movement that nobody really knew anything about. I was pointing out it was front and center of forum16 for years.
Sapper Redux
aTmAg said:

Weird, I joined TexAgs in 2001 and didn't post in Q-Anon threads (other than to mock them).

Quote:

Libs are being duped by things that are far more naive than Q. The wall came down, most North Koreans don't have electricity, and Venezuela is starving, and yet libs still think "it will work THIS time!!"

If anybody should be laughed at, it's them.

(And I wasn't a Q guy, btw)

Quote:

One thing that could be said about the Q-anon people, is that at least they recognized they were wrong and naive once they were proven so.

Quote:

Charpie said:
Are you really equating QANON to BLM?
There is no comparison. BLM is much more damaging to the nation than conspiracy theorists posting anonymously from their basements.

Yep, much mocking. No posting.

Good grief.
aTmAg
AG
You didn't even provide a link. So I found those quotes via google. And they are from the ENTERTAINMENT BOARD THREAD about Q: INTO THE STORM *** (HBO Docuseries).

If you are going to say people posting there are Q-anon morons, then most of F13 are Q-anon morons.

(F13 is full of morons, but not many Q-anon variety)

Totally dishonest on your part. (Nothing is new)
Sapper Redux
The only dishonesty is from you. But that's par for the course.
aTmAg
AG
Sapper Redux said:

The only dishonesty is from you. But that's par for the course.
LOL.. you just exposed yourself (again) as the liar. Not me.
Sapper Redux
Posting this because I'm curious if you're physiologically capable of allowing someone else the final word on anything.
Rocag
AG
Conservatives are expending more effort trying to stop people from seeing the Barbie movie than liberals ever did trying to stop people from seeing this movie. Weird how that happens.
Sapper Redux
Rocag said:

Conservatives are expending more effort trying to stop people from seeing the Barbie movie than liberals ever did trying to stop people from seeing this movie. Weird how that happens.

Something something, woke mind virus, something something gay sex something something end of humanity
Squadron7
AG
Rocag said:

Now do actual critics and news networks.
Rocag
AG
I'm sure I'm just imagining things...

Squadron7
AG
Rocag said:

What say we wait three weeks and compare airtime and column inches between this and SOF being Q-Anon?
Another Doug
AG
Rocag said:

Cruz's mouth looks like a microUSB port in that picture.
Macarthur
What am I missing...

a quick look at Rotten Tomatoes says the critic score is 70%
Another Doug
AG
Squadron7 said:

Rocag said:

What say we wait three weeks and compare airtime and column inches between this and SOF being Q-Anon?
To be fair I didn't say anything about SOF being QAnon.

I said at this point the mainstream republican party was QAnon.
Rocag
AG
You'd probably win that one if we included the numerous "Why does this controversy exist?" articles that have been written about Sound of Freedom. Bit of different situation with Barbie since I doubt you'll find many people who didn't know what Barbie was before the movie came out.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Rocag said:

I'm going to need you to show your work on this one.
aTmAg
AG
Barbie is feminist woke BS.

Sound of Freedom is anti-child trafficking.

Why is it supposedly bad for conservatives to oppose the former, but okay for libs to oppose the latter?
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Posting this because I'm curious if you're physiologically capable of allowing someone else the final word on anything.

Troll level Kafka Trap.

Edit: you watch the movie yet? Volunteering or donating to anti-trafficking orgs yet? Or we still at square one there?
boy09
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Never engage with aTmAg
Rocag
AG
You're back to the "Everyone who criticizes this movie supports child trafficking!" nonsense. I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you on that idiocy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.