Best musical supergroup

5,855 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jim01
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A Net Full of Jello said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.

I'd argue there is a clear difference in Van Helen's sound with Hagar than with DLR. I'm not a big VH fan, but my husband is. Had him play some different songs for me and before anyone sang, I was able to tell every time which era it was. Of course all still have Eddie's amazing guitar solos, but the rest of the sound is different. Still vote Traveling Wilburys, though.

I've been a VH fanatic for most of my life. They had the music for at least 2-3 songs for 5150 before Dave was officially gone and replaced by Sammy. That's a clear example that it was the same band with a new singer. Ask Morello if he had any songs that he wrote that could work for either band. I bet the answer is no.
maroon barchetta

AR_Ag95 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Traveling Wilburys were fantastic. But back in 1988 they seemed ancient - I thought Orbison was in his 80's at the time!

52 in Rock Years is the equivalent to 80!

The ironic part is Roy Orbison didn't live the typical rock n roll lifestyle. Avoided all alcohol and doesn't do drugs. Sometimes, genetics just gets ya.

And yes, Traveling Wilburys is the clear answer here. I'd be interested to see where they went had Orbison not died. He was crucialto their sound.

New band name!!!

Called it!

SuhrThang
Blind Faith.
superunknown
AG
62strat said:

AgRyan04 said:

Totally different direction than y'all are going but I love all The Panhandlers albums.

(Temple of the Dog is the right answer though)
temple of the dog is kind of reverse though, like the yardbirds.

Eddie Vedder was a complete unknown and soundgarden was marginally known.

I'd go so far as to call Temple of the Dog just a tribute to Andrew Wood and that's it. Sure Cornell brought Eddie into the mix and what we now know asPearl Jam is essentially Temple - Chris but in the moment...no.

No issues considering them a supergroup now but at the time, it wasn't anything to keep track of unless you were very much into that scene.
superunknown
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.

I'd argue there is a clear difference in Van Helen's sound with Hagar than with DLR. I'm not a big VH fan, but my husband is. Had him play some different songs for me and before anyone sang, I was able to tell every time which era it was. Of course all still have Eddie's amazing guitar solos, but the rest of the sound is different. Still vote Traveling Wilburys, though.

I've been a VH fanatic for most of my life. They had the music for at least 2-3 songs for 5150 before Dave was officially gone and replaced by Sammy. That's a clear example that it was the same band with a new singer. Ask Morello if he had any songs that he wrote that could work for either band. I bet the answer is no.

His whole "night watchman" guise came about because Audioslave was just gonna rock arena style and he still wanted to scratch his political itches.

Edited to put a space in night watchman to get around that hilarious filter
62strat
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Maybe a bit....I feel like they were all getting huge radio play about the same time
remember, temple of the dog album was released (April 91) before badmotorfinger was released (October 91) and before Pearl jam had even gone in the studio for Ten.
It simply got a lot attention a year or so later when those bands started getting big radio play.

So again I've always called it a kind of reverse supergroup. A band made up of musicians who went to become much more famous in other bands.
AgRyan04
That's fair

I'm sure my memory has more to do with when they were getting airplay.....and the fuzziness of a 30 year old memory

So here's a question to add to the complexity. When TotD toured in 2016 or 2017, after they had separately reached their levels of fame, would you have been able to advertise it as a "supergroup"?
62strat
AG
AgRyan04 said:

That's fair

I'm sure my memory has more to do with when they were getting airplay.....and the fuzziness of a 30 year old memory

So here's a question to add to the complexity. When TotD toured in 2016 or 2017, after they had separately reached their levels of fame, would you have been able to advertise it as a "supergroup"?
I think no. It didn't change the fact that the band had still formed before they got famous.

And besides Vedder didn't even do it, and at that point Cameron was a long term member of Pearl Jam.

Really, the yardbirds is a great comparison. If those guys got back together for shows in modern times, can't really call it a supergroup. It needs a different name.
Bruce Almighty
AG
These guys need a name so we can call them a supergroup.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Would the Eagles be considered a super group after Joe Walsh joined?
maroon barchetta
Gonna need to get Dhani Harrison out of there.
62strat
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Would the Eagles be considered a super group after Joe Walsh joined?
I think we went over this with Van Halen.

They are still just the eagles.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Best supergroup for only an evening right here. Wish they would have made an album together and did a whole tour:

Chipotlemonger
AG
Speaking of Temple of the Dog I love this song. Such a sick groove and I love how the (I believe) 7/4 time signature works in this. The interplay of the vocal and bass movement is great.

superunknown
AG
This is their best song
Jim01
AG
Would Dead & Company qualify? New band name, 3 new members?

Also I didn't see Them Crooked Vultures mentioned. (Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, Jon Paul Jones)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.