Best musical supergroup

5,842 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jim01
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

NoahAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quad Dog said:

Led Zeppelin

The correct answer.

They're my favorite band of all time but they're not a Supergroup. Page was well known but Jones was a studio musician and Plant & Bonham were unknown teenagers.
I'm NOT with Know Your Enemy on this one. They kind of were put together with Page + Jones as a supergroup. Then struck gold with Plant and Bonzo.

This. Here's the relevant wiki passage:

Quote:

The Yardbirds' 1968 tour prove to be exhausting for the band, and as a result the group began to wind down. Believing the Yardbirds were on the brink of disbanding, Page planned to form a supergroup with Beck and himself on guitars, and the Who's Keith Moon and John Entwistle on drums and bass, respectively. Vocalists Steve Winwood and Steve Marriott were also considered for the project. The group never formed, although Page, Beck, and Moon did record a song together in 1966, "Beck's Bolero", in a session that also included bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones.

The Yardbirds played their final gig on July 14, 1968 at Luton College of Technology in Bedfordshire. They were still committed to several concerts in Scandinavia, so drummer Jim McCarty and vocalist Keith Relf authorised Page and bassist Chris Dreja to use the Yardbirds' name to fulfill the band's obligations. Page and Dreja began putting a new line-up together. Page's first choice for the lead singer was Terry Reid, but Reid declined the offer and suggested Robert Plant, a singer for the Band of Joy and Hobbstweedle. Plant eventually accepted the position, recommending former Band of Joy drummer John Bonham. John Paul Jones enquired about the vacant position of bass guitarist, at the suggestion of his wife, after Dreja dropped out of the project to become a photographer. Page had known Jones since they were both session musicians, and agreed to let him join as the final member.

I see your argument, but the intent by Page was always to form a supergroup.

The group of Beck, Page, Entwistle, and Moon would have been a supergroup. Zeppelin was a standard band. If Band of Joy had been a big popular group, then you could make the case.

Exactly.

Best supergroup that never was could be XYZ around 1981. Page, and Chris Squire and Alan White from Yes. (Get it, ex Yes, Zep). The band never got off the ground because Page held out for Plant to be the singer, which he wasn't interested in. Too soon….

There's about 4 songs out there, demos. Not the greatest mix, kind of sounds in Mono. Squire is the singer. Worth checking out. I would have rather have this band and it's possibilities vs The Firm.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Imagine if Hendrix didn't die and recorded with Miles Davis like planned.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

The group of Beck, Page, Entwistle, and Moon would have been a supergroup. Zeppelin was a standard band. If Band of Joy had been a big popular group, then you could make the case.
Alright, fair point. But, the final product ended up being better than the original supergroup would've been.
superunknown
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Whos Juan said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.
It didn't change drastically. They both were alternative metal, Audioslave just didn't have the rapping and there was less funk. All bands change their sound over time. If Van Halen changed their name and recorded the same exact songs, they would be on this thread.
For my money, it just doesn't get any better than Zack De La Rocha singing Like a Stone

David Lee Roth singing When it's Love.

Look if he starts with the Diamond Dave scat-tilly bop-tiddy-doop stuff during When It's Love...yeah. I wanna hear that.
maroon barchetta
Did anyone mention The Highwaymen?
IJones23
Alice Mud Garden
TXAG 05
AG
Any love for Coverdale-Page?
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

The definition of supergroup is assuming famous person/people from one band combine with famous person/people of another band and create a new third band. It is not famous people from one band hiring another famous person for their existing band.

Had VH hired Hagar and changed their name, it would have been a supergroup. But they didn't, they were still Van Halen. So it's just... van halen, not a supergroup.

Look at STP; they did both.
3 guys from STP combine with singer of Filter; they gave it a new name Army of Anyone, so it's a supergroup. But those same 3 guys combined with Chester Bennington, but still called STP.. not a supergroup.

Funky Winkerbean
AG
Bad Company
Txmoe
AG
62strat said:

Bruce Almighty said:

The definition is; it's another band.

Had VH hired Hagar and changed their name, it would have been a supergroup. But they didn't, they were still Van Halen.

And ceased to be "super" ever again. (Not all Hagar's fault, too much EVH on the synthesizer during that period.)
Apache
AG
Quote:

VH hired Hagar and changed their name, it would have been a supergroup. But they didn't, they were still Van Halen. So it's just... van halen, not a supergroup.

Really getting into the semantic weeds on this whole topic. I would say a band getting a new singer doesn't make it a supergroup. (Van Halen example) Nor does a backing band getting a new singer & changing names (Audioslave) make a supergroup.

Damn Yankees has freaking Ted Nugent, Tommy Shaw from Styx & Jack Blades from Night Ranger.
3 dudes from 3 bands forming a totally new group. That's a supergroup, and the song "Runaway" is still bad-ass.

SamHou
Puscifer
maroon barchetta
Ted's solo on "Come Again" is some of his best playing.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
UGK
superunknown
AG
IJones23 said:

Alice Mud Garden

Nice pull. A super group for...1 song on an EP?
62strat
AG
superunknown said:

IJones23 said:

Alice Mud Garden

Nice pull. A super group for...1 song on an EP?
it's hard to believe, sooomebody tricked you!
StinkyPinky
AG
SamHou said:

Puscifer

I love Puscifer, but many would argue not a supergroup because most of the members are not deeply known by the broader public. I would agree with you though because they are all great artists and have contributed to lots of bands/music people are not aware of. Most people would only know MJK.

bluefire579
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

UGK
Were either prominent before forming UGK? Thought both their solo careers were more after the fact
HtownAg92
AG
Someone brilliant mentioned Electronic above. Combined three of the biggest alternative acts of the 80's -- The Smiths, New Order and Pet Shop Boys.

And I think anything that Vince Clarke touched was a supergroup while he was a part of it -- Depeche Mode, Yaz, Erasure.

MSFC Aggie
AG

Some big names from 1985...

....have no clue who the drummer was though...

EDIT: oops.....sorry......missed that they had already been mentioned
maroon barchetta
I saw Power Station in concert.

OMD opened.
JCA1
AG
Here's a list of 68 forgotten supergroups. Some interesting collaborations that I was unaware of.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/forgotten-supergroups/
Mathguy64
AG
How has Derek and the Dominoes not been mentioned?
Scruffy
AG
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Million Dollar Quartet

Elvis Pressley
Johnny Cash
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
https://i.postimg.cc/rpHKr9JQ/IMG-0770.jpg
Proc92
The Head Cat.

Because Lemmy.
Txmoe
AG
Noticed that Bad English hasn't been mentioned. Not saying they belong in the conversation, just making an observation.
mandevilleag
Chickenfoot is fun. And I think fall into the "supergroup" definition.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Oh they are definitely a supergroup.
TwoTimeAg
AG
Arcangels
AgRyan04
Totally different direction than y'all are going but I love all The Panhandlers albums.

(Temple of the Dog is the right answer though)
62strat
AG
AgRyan04 said:

Totally different direction than y'all are going but I love all The Panhandlers albums.

(Temple of the Dog is the right answer though)
temple of the dog is kind of reverse though, like the yardbirds.

Eddie Vedder was a complete unknown and soundgarden was marginally known.
AgRyan04
Maybe a bit....I feel like they were all getting huge radio play about the same time
A Net Full of Jello
AG
AR_Ag95 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Traveling Wilburys were fantastic. But back in 1988 they seemed ancient - I thought Orbison was in his 80's at the time!

52 in Rock Years is the equivalent to 80!

The ironic part is Roy Orbison didn't live the typical rock n roll lifestyle. Avoided all alcohol and doesn't do drugs. Sometimes, genetics just gets ya.

And yes, Traveling Wilburys is the clear answer here. I'd be interested to see where they went had Orbison not died. He was crucialto their sound.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.

I'd argue there is a clear difference in Van Helen's sound with Hagar than with DLR. I'm not a big VH fan, but my husband is. Had him play some different songs for me and before anyone sang, I was able to tell every time which era it was. Of course all still have Eddie's amazing guitar solos, but the rest of the sound is different. Still vote Traveling Wilburys, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.