Best musical supergroup

5,859 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jim01
brotherbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Monsters of Folk.
Psychag
AG
Band Aid
I bleed maroon
AG
Haven't seen The Firm listed yet. Arguably the best rock vocalist of all time, along with arguably the best guitarist of all time.

They didn't have much staying power (only 2 albums), but they were pretty good for a brief period of time.
agdoc2001
AG
Psychag said:

Band Aid
USA for Africa
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
goadius6
AG
brotherbear said:

Monsters of Folk.
Came here to say this, beat me to it. Amazing album
superunknown
AG
Shrug. I've heard him say that with his own voice. Take it up with him.

Damn Yankees are trash but the hair/butt rock from the 80s and 90s are all trash to me.
tk for tu juan
Oysterhead - Les Claypool, Stewart Copeland, and Trey Anastasio

Hard to top the Traveling Wilburys for best supergroup, but imagine jamming with Oysterhead
Garrelli 5000
AG
Not as big commercially (as the super group or in their previous bands), but nonetheless fantastic results musically with solid sales and/or touring results:

Black Country Communion
The Winery Dogs
Staff - take out the trash.
ja86
AG
Supertramp?

blind faith

as mentioned earlier, CSNY
concac
AG
New Edition.
Txmoe
AG
Sponge said:

CSNY
ELP

CSN > CSNY
Txmoe
AG
I bleed maroon said:

Haven't seen The Firm listed yet. Arguably the best rock vocalist of all time, along with arguably the best guitarist of all time.

They didn't have much staying power (only 2 albums), but they were pretty good for a brief period of time.
I preferred the book over the movie
MAROON
AG
Travelling Wilburys
NoahAg
Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.
It didn't change drastically. They both were alternative metal, Audioslave just didn't have the rapping and there was less funk. All bands change their sound over time. If Van Halen changed their name and recorded the same exact songs, they would be on this thread.
I'm with Know Your Enemy on this one. Rage and Audioslave had vastly different sounds. Van Halen and Hagar were pretty much the same.
NoahAg
Know Your Enemy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quad Dog said:

Led Zeppelin

The correct answer.

They're my favorite band of all time but they're not a Supergroup. Page was well known but Jones was a studio musician and Plant & Bonham were unknown teenagers.
I'm NOT with Know Your Enemy on this one. They kind of were put together with Page + Jones as a supergroup. Then struck gold with Plant and Bonzo.
NoahAg
StinkyPinky said:

Mad Season for sure is up there.
Are they? River of Deceit is an all time great song. After that? Did they have more than one album?
Big Al 1992
AG
Traveling Wilburys were fantastic. But back in 1988 they seemed ancient - I thought Orbison was in his 80's at the time!

Big Al 1992
AG
Asia was pretty strong in the early 80's as well.

lead vocalist and bassist John Wetton (King Crimson and U.K.), guitarist Steve Howe (Yes), keyboardist Geoff Downes (Yes and the Buggles) and drummer Carl Palmer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer).
Whos Juan
AG
No love for Me First and the Gimme Gimme's?
maroon barchetta
superunknown said:

Shrug. I've heard him say that with his own voice. Take it up with him.

Damn Yankees are trash but the hair/butt rock from the 80s and 90s are all trash to me.

Of course he said that.
Whos Juan
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.
It didn't change drastically. They both were alternative metal, Audioslave just didn't have the rapping and there was less funk. All bands change their sound over time. If Van Halen changed their name and recorded the same exact songs, they would be on this thread.
For my money, it just doesn't get any better than Zack De La Rocha singing Like a Stone
StinkyPinky
AG
NoahAg said:

StinkyPinky said:

Are they? River of Deceit is an all time great song. After that? Did they have more than one album?

No, unfortunately Above was the only album they were able to put out before Layne went into his tail spin. But it's an amazing album top to bottom (easily three songs better than River of Deceit) from a group of very talented artists that were at the top of their game at the time (IMO). I do wish they were able to put out more music. I do get your argument that the (lack) of volume of work works against them.

bam02
AG
Roy Orbison always looked like he was 85 years old.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
NoahAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quad Dog said:

Led Zeppelin

The correct answer.

They're my favorite band of all time but they're not a Supergroup. Page was well known but Jones was a studio musician and Plant & Bonham were unknown teenagers.
I'm NOT with Know Your Enemy on this one. They kind of were put together with Page + Jones as a supergroup. Then struck gold with Plant and Bonzo.

This. Here's the relevant wiki passage:

Quote:

The Yardbirds' 1968 tour prove to be exhausting for the band, and as a result the group began to wind down. Believing the Yardbirds were on the brink of disbanding, Page planned to form a supergroup with Beck and himself on guitars, and the Who's Keith Moon and John Entwistle on drums and bass, respectively. Vocalists Steve Winwood and Steve Marriott were also considered for the project. The group never formed, although Page, Beck, and Moon did record a song together in 1966, "Beck's Bolero", in a session that also included bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones.

The Yardbirds played their final gig on July 14, 1968 at Luton College of Technology in Bedfordshire. They were still committed to several concerts in Scandinavia, so drummer Jim McCarty and vocalist Keith Relf authorised Page and bassist Chris Dreja to use the Yardbirds' name to fulfill the band's obligations. Page and Dreja began putting a new line-up together. Page's first choice for the lead singer was Terry Reid, but Reid declined the offer and suggested Robert Plant, a singer for the Band of Joy and Hobbstweedle. Plant eventually accepted the position, recommending former Band of Joy drummer John Bonham. John Paul Jones enquired about the vacant position of bass guitarist, at the suggestion of his wife, after Dreja dropped out of the project to become a photographer. Page had known Jones since they were both session musicians, and agreed to let him join as the final member.

I see your argument, but the intent by Page was always to form a supergroup.
AR_Ag95
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Traveling Wilburys were fantastic. But back in 1988 they seemed ancient - I thought Orbison was in his 80's at the time!

52 in Rock Years is the equivalent to 80!
Jim01
AG
Them Crooked Vultures
boygenius
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

NoahAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quad Dog said:

Led Zeppelin

The correct answer.

This. Here's the relevant wiki passage:

Quote:

The Yardbirds' 1968 tour prove to be exhausting for the band, and as a result the group began to wind down. Believing the Yardbirds were on the brink of disbanding, Page planned to form a supergroup with Beck and himself on guitars, and the Who's Keith Moon and John Entwistle on drums and bass, respectively. Vocalists Steve Winwood and Steve Marriott were also considered for the project. The group never formed, although Page, Beck, and Moon did record a song together in 1966, "Beck's Bolero", in a session that also included bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones.

The Yardbirds played their final gig on July 14, 1968 at Luton College of Technology in Bedfordshire. They were still committed to several concerts in Scandinavia, so drummer Jim McCarty and vocalist Keith Relf authorised Page and bassist Chris Dreja to use the Yardbirds' name to fulfill the band's obligations. Page and Dreja began putting a new line-up together. Page's first choice for the lead singer was Terry Reid, but Reid declined the offer and suggested Robert Plant, a singer for the Band of Joy and Hobbstweedle. Plant eventually accepted the position, recommending former Band of Joy drummer John Bonham. John Paul Jones enquired about the vacant position of bass guitarist, at the suggestion of his wife, after Dreja dropped out of the project to become a photographer. Page had known Jones since they were both session musicians, and agreed to let him join as the final member.

I see your argument, but the intent by Page was always to form a supergroup.

The group of Beck, Page, Entwistle, and Moon would have been a supergroup. Zeppelin was a standard band. If Band of Joy had been a big popular group, then you could make the case.
beanbean
NoahAg said:

StinkyPinky said:

That whole album is great front to back. One of the best albums to come out of the grunge period. It's more than the song that got radio play.
Aggie87
AG
Buzzin' Cousins were pretty incredible, but were a one-off supergroup. Sort of an alt-country Wilburys.

John Mellencamp, Joe Ely, James McMurtry, John Prine, and Dwight Yoakam.

superunknown
AG
Whos Juan said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

For my money, it just doesn't get any better than Zack De La Rocha singing Like a Stone

Remember when Zack De La Rocha would talk about wanting to write a Johnny Cash type song and came up with "I am the Highway"?
Aggie87
AG
Also, Miles Davis' first classic quintet and second classic quintet were both pretty incredible.

Miles Davis - trumpet
John Coltrane - tenor sax
Red Garland/Bill Evans - piano
Paul Chambers - bass
Philly Joe Jones/Jimmy Cobb - drums
(plus briefly Cannonball Adderley on alto sax)

Miiles Davis - trumpet
Wayne Shorter - tenor sax
Herbie Hancock - piano
Ron Carter - bass
Tony Williams - drums

MookieBlaylock
AG
Temple of the Dog is just Pearl Jam with Cornell as the lead singer
dmart90
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

CajunAg97 said:

This is easily the greatest collection of talent but did the albums live up to the pedigree. Been a long time since I listened to Vol. 1 and not sure I ever heard Vol. 3.
Volume 1 is an EXCELLENT album.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Asia
Allan Parsons Project
Genesis

Asia is the most super..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_(band)
Bruce Almighty
AG
Whos Juan said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

David Lee Roth singing When it's Love.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.