Best musical supergroup

5,761 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jim01
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Velvet Revolver
Audioslave
Temple Of The Dog
Mad Season
Cream
CajunAg97
AG
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Claude!
The Highwaymen
Sponge
AG
CSNY
ELP
Quad Dog
AG
Led Zeppelin
Rocagnante
AG
CajunAg97 said:

I think this is the winner although my personal favorite is Audioslave.
superunknown
AG
No love for Damnocracy?
Know Your Enemy
AG
superunknown said:

No love for Damnocracy?

SAVAGE ANIMAL!
Know Your Enemy
AG
CajunAg97 said:

This is easily the greatest collection of talent but did the albums live up to the pedigree. Been a long time since I listened to Vol. 1 and not sure I ever heard Vol. 3.
FWAppraiser
AG
What would have been my favorite but never was: The Nauts.

Dave Matthews, Jakob Dylan, Bob Dylan, Charlie & Bill Sexton, and Brady Blade got together about 10 years ago and planned to record. Oh what might have been.
Apache
AG
Damn Yankees was pretty awesome.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Apache said:

Damn Yankees was pretty awesome.

Did they have more than one damn song?
Apache
AG
Damn straight they did.
gggmann
AG
I'd probably put Cream as my fav, at least I listen to them more than the others. A few more to add to the list:

Asia
The Power Station
Bad Company
Blind Faith
Bruce Almighty
AG
So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

So what's the definition of a supergroup? Audioslave is just RATM with a new lead singer. If they're a supergroup, then so is Van Halen.

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Forgot about Them Crooked Vultures.
C@LAg
Mad Season
The Tree Tenors
Electronic
Gorillaz (with a huge *****) since they have so many guest artists on each album, many of whom show up round robin when they tour
Bruce Almighty
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

But Audioslave was a completely different band. VH (or AC/DC) stayed the same just with a new singer.

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.
bam02
AG
Los Super 7 (kidding, but they are great!)
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
The Osmonds
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I disagree on Van Halen. Sound with Hagar and Roth was just as different as Audioslave and Rage. Also, AC/DC isn't the same argument because Brian Johnson was unknown.

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.
bluefire579
AG
I'll toss in A Perfect Circle and Run the Jewels
Bruce Almighty
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

That's ridiculous. Yeah, the sound changed a little with Hagar but it was the same ****ing band. Rage & Audioslave we're completely different from Zach to Cornell.

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

It's literally the same exact situation. The only difference is one changed their name.

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.
Flatlander
Flight of the Conchords

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quad Dog said:

Led Zeppelin

The correct answer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

The music in one band changed drastically. The other didn't. I don't understand how someone can struggle with this concept.
It didn't change drastically. They both were alternative metal, Audioslave just didn't have the rapping and there was less funk. All bands change their sound over time. If Van Halen changed their name and recorded the same exact songs, they would be on this thread.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quad Dog said:

Led Zeppelin

The correct answer.

They're my favorite band of all time but they're not a Supergroup. Page was well known but Jones was a studio musician and Plant & Bonham were unknown teenagers.
maroon barchetta
Asia had a #1 album and you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing one of several singles off that album for months.

Second album was not as big but did ok. Then they started swapping members at some point. Steve Howe seems to be tough to coexist with.
superunknown
AG
Apache said:

Damn straight they did.

Didn't have more than 2 though.

Also I'm on the side that says Rage and Audioslave are VERY different. Cornell was NOT about the politics as much as Zack was and Tom Morello has said multiple times in multiple forums he and the other Rage guys were very willing to just be a rock band and not trying to make everything a statement.

I think an easier sell to me would be saying that Prophets of Rage is the same as RATM. Sure there's Chuck D and DJ Lord too but functionally Prophets of Rage are MUCH closer musically and "artistically" to RATM than Audioslave is to RATM.
Madmarttigan
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Bruce Almighty said:

It didn't change drastically. They both were alternative metal, Audioslave just didn't have the rapping and there was less funk. All bands change their sound over time. If Van Halen changed their name and recorded the same exact songs, they would be on this thread.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
maroon barchetta
Tom Morello, who loves to sound off about political and social stuff, didn't want the band to make a statement?

And Damn Yankees had at least five songs that got serious air play.
rilloaggie
AG
The Dirty Mac
StinkyPinky
AG
Mad Season for sure is up there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.