*** STREAMING INDUSTRY THREAD ***

37,861 Views | 403 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by YouBet
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
T Mobile users used to get Netflix free/greatly reduced price.

That price is going up and to the ad tier, but TMo users will now be able to get Hulu free/discounted.

I've already had Hulu discounted from Black Friday so it's not a huge deal right now since we got Disney+and Starz on that same Black Friday discount.

I do think Netflix will have a slight drop in subscribers soon.

The bundling really does reduce subscriber churn.

https://tmo.report/2024/01/t-mobile-and-netflix-ruin-a-good-thing-now-everybody-gets-ads/
Al Bula
AG
This is new info to me about Hulu.

As far as Netflix goes, im disappointed but I rarely watch anything on it anymore. Kids use it. I'm interested to see what sorts of ads while be targeted to them. Seinfeld is the only remotely relevant show on Netflix for me right now. I tried looking for something interesting to watch on Netflix the other night, and nothing jumped out at me. Probably hundreds of thousands of hours of content but a show about nothing is more appealing.
superunknown
AG
Bump for this....Amazon investing in Diamond Sports (Bally) and sort of confusing as to what's going to be offered either via Prime or as a separate add on.

https://awfulannouncing.com/amazon/diamond-sports-announces-amazon-investment-in-comeback-plan.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Iowaggie
AG
Ryan Clark's Inside the NFL is a new streaming show on Netflix

also

superunknown
AG
The magnitude of ESPN is not something most people can fully grasp, so when I see numbers like ESPN having a $24b valuation it just makes me laugh at how people still bring up the Longhorn Network and how much money ESPN "lost" on it and what a disaster it was etc, when the money they were paying for LHN per year was the equivalent of (using the rights contracts in place at the time) roughly a quarter of 1 MNF game.
superunknown
AG
Netflix picks up WWE's "Monday Night Raw" for 10 years/$5 billion. Can cancel after 5 years or extend for another 10 years.

https://awfulannouncing.com/netflix/raw-deal-transformative-all-of-sports.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Iowaggie
AG
Ongoing update on Paramount +

From what I've read:
Parmount Global goes private
Paramount is laying people off
Merger with Skydance Media
TCTTS
AG
If Paramount has to be sold (and it sounds like it does), this is the best option so far, IMO. Anything other than them merging with another major studio (like Warner Bros Discovery) is a win.
TCTTS
AG
superunknown
AG
Welp. This is a big effin' deal.

TCTTS
veryfuller
Staff
AG
This feels like the beginning of the end for Netflix. If they can't get sports going on there, then they are toast.
double aught
AG
I don't know. There are tons of people who don't care about sports.
superunknown
AG
Biggest hurdle for Netflix (or any other streamer not owner by comcast/paramount/disney) is the massive amount of equipment to cover things the way they are now. If I'm Netflix CEO I'm begging to be a partner on this just for the carriage rights and associated "network" inventory.

First thought when I saw this news was "wow, are they hiring?"
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I agree, but since streaming seems to be going the way of the broadcast model (ads), the most revenue is going to come from the live events that a lot of people watch. Netflix has already proven it doesn't know how to do live, and doesn't seem to be making any headway in that department. I'm not saying this is for sure going to kill them, but its not good new for them at all.
double aught
AG
So if you had this service, at a quick glance I think you'd still be missing the following:
  • Half the NFL schedule
  • A lot of Big 10 games (Notre Dame too)
  • Most local MLB, NBA, and NHL games.

What do y'all think this'll cost? My guess is $20/month to start, but like every other streamer, it'll increase pretty quickly.
TCTTS
AG
So right now I pay for YouTube TV, and through YouTube TV I obviously already get all of these sports/games.

My YouTube TV subscription then allows me "free" access to the same sports/games on the ESPN and Fox Sports apps as well.

In addition, I pay for Max (which provides me with additional access to TNT/Bleacher Report sports) and the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle.

For people like me, am I now going to have pay for an additional sports service/app? Or will my various subscriptions already grant me "free" access to this new service/app, which will essentially take the place of my ESPN and Fox Sports apps? And then the only people who have to pay for this new service/app are the people who don't already subscribe to a cable provider or Max/Hulu?

(I'm asking rhetorically, unless anyone has actually seen the answers posted somewhere.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
veryfuller said:

This feels like the beginning of the end for Netflix. If they can't get sports going on there, then they are toast.

Lol. Come on now.
bizag07
Quote:

Well, they bought the WWE rights already.
superunknown
AG
CNBC article I'm reading on desktop says it's basically a "skinny" bundle of the linear sports properties from each provider and could be bundled with other streamers but also avail as a standalone.

For me it probably means I cancel regular cable altogether and go with whatever this sports thing is.
bizag07
Quote:

So right now I pay for YouTube TV, and through YouTube TV I obviously already get all of these sports/games.

My YouTube TV subscription then allows me "free" access to the same sports/games on the ESPN and Fox Sports apps as well.

In addition, I pay for Max (which provides me with additional access to TNT/Bleacher Report sports) and the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle.

For people like me, am I now going to have pay for an additional sports service/app? Or will my various subscriptions already grant me "free" access to this new service/app, which will essentially take the place of my ESPN and Fox Sports apps? And then the only people who have to pay for this new service/app are the people who don't already subscribe to a cable provider or Max/Hulu?

(I'm asking rhetorically, unless anyone has actually seen the answers posted somewhere.)
The answer here, and it's not made clear today, it that this is a concerted effort to push the YouTubeTVs, etc, out of the way.

They won't have it ready for fall, so you'll be fine this year.

Fall of 2025, however? FOX, ESPN, WBD don't want to be giving money to YouTube. Because they know you are largely paying for their offerings. So you'll just end up moving your money to whatever this is (and it's doubtful you were paying YouTube for much extra than…CBS?) and dropping YouTubeTV.

This is Hulu all over again. (Which hasn't been a bad product).
Ferg
double aught said:

So if you had this service, at a quick glance I think you'd still be missing the following:
  • Half the NFL schedule

What do y'all think this'll cost? My guess is $20/month to start, but like every other streamer, it'll increase pretty quickly.
The first two could be covered by an Antenna or Paramount Plus and Peacock.
superunknown
AG
The 3rd (local mlb/nba/nhl) could mostly be done via Amazon pending what they do with their thing with Bally.
TCTTS
AG
I'll be clinging to YouTubeTV as long as I can.

As mentioned earlier, if cancelled and going with this new service/app, you'd lose the entire CBS NFL slate, the entire CBS Big 10 slate, Sunday Night Football on NBC, and whatever local sports markets (if cable and not YouTubeTV), which I'm not at all prepared to do.

Does Paramont+ and Peacock currently offer sports programming without a cable/YouTube TV subscription? In other words, can I get the entire CBS NFL slate, the entire CBS Big 10 slate, and Sunday Night Football on NBC if I just subscribe to their services void of cable/YouTubeTV?

Either way, YouTube TV is finally perfecting their excellent multi-view feature, where you can choose any four games to watch simultaneously from ALL of the sports networks. Something no other streaming service/bundle currently offers, which is an especially big deal come Saturdays in the fall.

Not to mention, I still love channel surfing in general.
bizag07
Quote:

Either way, YouTube TV is finally perfecting their excellent multi-view feature, where you can choose any four games to watch simultaneously from ALL of the sports networks. Something no other streaming service/bundle currently offers, which is an especially big deal come Saturdays in the fall.
All today was was a shot across the bow at the YouTubeTVs. Good product or not, they're about to be stripped.

We KNEW ESPN was about to strip away in some way. The fact that they are doing it with some help, not alone, is the only thing interesting here.

Money one place or the other- that's been the argument for over a decade since "I want cable to go away, I want a la carte because I don't want to pay for Bravo and HGTV if all I watch is football."

Then the aggregators entered into the game.

Now we are about to see the aggregators pushed out.

Quote:

Does Paramont+ and Peacock currently offer sports programming without a cable/YouTube TV subscription? In other words, can I get the entire CBS NFL slate, the entire CBS Big 10 slate, and Sunday Night Football on NBC if I just subscribe to their services void of cable/YouTubeTV?
Yes.

Both currently give you full scale as a streaming member. Which I what you're going to essentially be demanded to be by Fall 2025.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you, but there's absolutely no way Disney, Fox, and WBD are going to kill the revenue they're getting from cable/YouTubeTV/etc by 2025. If anything, they're not contractually allowed to in many instances.
TCTTS
AG
For instance, the NFL's contract with CBS runs through, I think, 2033. Which I'm almost positive demands a linear TV commitment through 2033 as well. And I'm sure, say, ESPN's new contract with the SEC has similar stipulations. In other words, these companies can't just rip these sports from YouTubeTV and the like, if that's what you're saying.
bizag07
Quote:

I hear you, but there's absolutely no way Disney, Fox, and WBD are going to kill the revenue they're getting from cable/YouTubeTV/etc by 2025.
This is where I think you are missing.

It's not "cable/YouTube/etc". Cable is one thing. Those packages still exist.

This is ESPN/FOX/WBD looking at YouTube, Sling, those, and saying "all you pay us for is sports, we are taking this elsewhere." And I don't think the deal with those providers is nearly long term. So sure, linear broadcasting will still exist, but outside of cable, there is no need for the big guys to run streaming through the intermediary aggregators.

Because really, nobody is subscribing to YouTubeTV for General Hospital, or Dancing with the Stars, or the local news. (All those people are still on cable).
YouBet
AG
Wow. I doubt many saw Fox and ESPN joining forces. I'm not sure what this looks like yet but the only live sports we ever watch are A&M Football, Longhorn Football (damn my heretic wife), and the Cowboys. And I pretty much only have live tv via Hulu (utter trash product) or YTTV for those 3 properties.

So whoever has those 3 properties is going to get our money.
bizag07
Quote:

Wow. I doubt many saw Fox and ESPN joining forces.
Can I introduce you to…how Hulu was created?
superunknown
AG
The press release from Disney said specifically that it would be non exclusive, so as far as WBD/Fox/Disney are concerned I don't think they care if you watch via their OTT apps or this new thing or through coaxial cable, just as long as you watch.

It's not a clearance/rights thing, it's just an aggregator/distributor of content thing. YTTV etc are just distributors.
double aught
AG
Ferg said:

double aught said:

• Half the NFL schedule

I put an antenna on my roof a few months back, and it's been great. Way more channels than I would've guessed (some of them are even decent!).

Funny that all this tech has pushed me back to broadcast TV signals, as basic as it comes. Somehow we are surviving.
TCTTS
AG
Thank you. Good to know.
Ferg
double aught said:

Ferg said:

double aught said:

• Half the NFL schedule

I put an antenna on my roof a few months back, and it's been great. Way more channels than I would've guessed (some of them are even decent!).

Funny that all this tech has pushed me back to broadcast TV signals, as basic as it comes. Somehow we are surviving.
I have a legacy tablo dvr that my antenna feeds into so i can record. They have a new one 4th gen, but seems like a lot of bugs at least on Roku.
superunknown
AG
That's how I read it anyway. This is from wbd but word for word it's what the one on Disney corporate page said.

https://wbd.com/espn-fox-and-warner-bros-discovery-forming-joint-venture-to-launch-streaming-sports-service-in-the-u-s/

I'd guess the lawyers are racking up billable hours now hashing out the details. Can't imagine its gonna be a to the penny revenue split. Probably based on current value of the contracts. Who tf knows at this point?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.