*** STREAMING INDUSTRY THREAD ***

26,923 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by double aught
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're right. I read right past that in his response. We're definitely talking about two different things.
wangus12
AG
I don't get the hate for Hulu. I have zero issues with navigating through their stuff
YouBet
AG
wangus12 said:

I don't get the hate for Hulu. I have zero issues with navigating through their stuff
I've laid out the idiocy of it somewhere in this thread or another one. It's a stupid app.
fig96
AG
wangus12 said:

Try Hulu Live. I lasted a week before going back to YTTV.

Bigger issue than that, however, is these different services migrating into "super apps" that have content from multiple services. Max is getting borderline unusable with all the Discovery/FoodNetwork/HGTV content, and on the flip side it's also much harder to find that content when you want to.
superunknown
AG
This just feels like it should be in this thread...

Walmart is buying Vizio to upgrade their ad revenue possibilities.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-posts-q4-earnings-beat-to-buy-vizio-in-23-billion-deal-130513913.html

Just as an aside I saw a job posting a while back for someone to head up their ad operations for instore Walmart radio.

Ads are everywhere and they're gonna be everywhere-er. Ow my balls, indeed.
YouBet
AG
superunknown said:

This just feels like it should be in this thread...

Walmart is buying Vizio to upgrade their ad revenue possibilities.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart-posts-q4-earnings-beat-to-buy-vizio-in-23-billion-deal-130513913.html

Just as an aside I saw a job posting a while back for someone to head up their ad operations for instore Walmart radio.

Ads are everywhere and they're gonna be everywhere-er. Ow my balls, indeed.

Yuck. As in you walk in and there is ad radio playing all the time? Not that I ever go to Wal-Mart, but no thanks.
superunknown
AG
My local WM remodeled a few months ago and the instore music was some sort of weird Walmart radio. I saw some demographic data and time spent in Walmart etc and there's a lot of times where you may spend more time in a Walmart than your drive to and from back. Advertisers do love a captive audience.

https://www.walmartworld.com/content/walmart-world/en_us/radio.html
12Power
Are the Astros games available through YTTV in Htown? If so, what channel? Thx
cajunaggie08
AG
No, they are not on YouTubeTV. FuboTV and DirectTV Stream are the only streaming services that have the Astros in Houston.

https://www.spacecityhn.com/channel-listings/
aTm_bomb
AG
Anyone aware of any Peacock promos or have a referral code? Cutting off YTTV for the summer until football season and the wife can watch her Bravo stuff on Peacock
agdoc2001
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Anyone aware of any Peacock promos or have a referral code? Cutting off YTTV for the summer until football season and the wife can watch her Bravo stuff on Peacock
Supposedly $30/yr with the coupon PEAIHWO4KTP
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fig96
AG
Amex had a Peacock credit recently, not sure if it's still active or not.
Sex Panther
AG
Hoping someone can provide me some info, I'm getting lost trying to keep track of everything these days

So if I have Hulu and Disney+... I can theoretically get rid of Hulu now, correct? Everything on Hulu is no housed in Disney+? There's nothing missing?

I have some years old grandfathered promo where I get Hulu through my Spotify subscription. It's always been too good a deal to get rid of, even when I wanted to upgrade to Hulu without ads. So assuming I have to get rid of that to actually get rid of Hulu?

Isn't there a bundle with ESPN+? Trying to figure out how to watch the Astros this season and seeing if that lame service would be worth it.

Appreciate any insight
TCTTS
AG
From what I've been able to gather, you can only watch Hulu on Disney+ if you're paying for the bundle. Apparently, you CAN'T stop subscribing to Hulu and only pay for Disney+ in order to watch Hulu content, which is kind of ridiculous. From yesterday's press release...

Quote:

The new experience is a seamless showcase of the value of the Disney Bundle that allows Bundle subscribers (or those who hold subscriptions to both standalone apps) to stream extensive Hulu content, including critically acclaimed fan favorites like Grey's Anatomy, Only Murders in the Building, Poor Things and The Bear, directly in the Disney+ app. Bundle plans are available starting at $9.99/month, while Disney+ and Hulu each remain available as standalone offerings.
Fenrir
Sex Panther said:

Hoping someone can provide me some info, I'm getting lost trying to keep track of everything these days

So if I have Hulu and Disney+... I can theoretically get rid of Hulu now, correct? Everything on Hulu is no housed in Disney+? There's nothing missing?

I have some years old grandfathered promo where I get Hulu through my Spotify subscription. It's always been too good a deal to get rid of, even when I wanted to upgrade to Hulu without ads. So assuming I have to get rid of that to actually get rid of Hulu?

Isn't there a bundle with ESPN+? Trying to figure out how to watch the Astros this season and seeing if that lame service would be worth it.

Appreciate any insight
You have to pay for a bundle. The Disney+ only package does not include Hulu content.

https://www.disneyplus.com/welcome/disney-hulu-espn-bundle

Doesn't make sense for them to give you access to both services under one subscription unless they were going to eliminate one service, combine the libraries, and increase the cost of the surviving one.
YNWA_AG
AG
12Power said:

MLB tv with a vpn should work
Sex Panther
AG
YNWA_AG said:

12Power said:

MLB tv with a vpn should work

I have one and not sure what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't appear to be working
YNWA_AG
AG
I think it only works on a computer. They have it blocked on the apps
AustinAg2K
YNWA_AG said:

I think it only works on a computer. They have it blocked on the apps

It's working for me right now on my TV (Chromecast), but I had to try a bunch of VPN locations before I found one that worked (Atlanta).
AustinAg2K
Sex Panther said:

Appreciate any insight

Unless something has changed, you won't get the Astros with ESPN+. I believe the only ways to stream them are either FubuTV, or MLB.com streaming package (different then MLB Network). If you are in the state of Texas, you'll also need a VPN for MLB.tv to work. I don't think all VPNs will work, though. I was successful with NordVPN last year, and opening day this year.
Sex Panther
AG
Appreciate it... I just did my annual switch from Youtube TV to Direct TV Stream. I have MLB.tv (free subscription I get) but I think I always forget about the blackout bs. I do have a VPN but I cant figure out how to make it work on my roku and switching to DTV stream was just easier.

The hoops MLB makes you jump through to watch your team are absurd

Also I think the Astros were on ESPN+ today which is why I was asking. I don't even know what all ESPN+ has or carries. Always seemed like a bunch of crap when I skimmed it.
WoMD
Sex Panther said:

Appreciate it... I just did my annual switch from Youtube TV to Direct TV Stream. I have MLB.tv (free subscription I get) but I think I always forget about the blackout bs. I do have a VPN but I cant figure out how to make it work on my roku and switching to DTV stream was just easier.

Also I think the Astros were on ESPN+ today which is why I was asking. I don't even know what all ESPN+ has or carries. Always seemed like a bunch of crap when I skimmed it.

Roku doesn't allow vpns, or at least NordVPN. Use a (crappy) firestick and all your problems magically disappear. I watch all the giants games on local broadcast using directv stream after logging into the vpn on app on there. Funny enough, once I do that my roku tvs also provide the Bay Area channels on directv stream for some reason, which is a nice accidental perk. It doesn't work on the directv stream app on my Apple TV even though there's a NordVPN app on there, unfortunately, but I can use the Bay Area sports app to watch their broadcasts as a workaround. VPN is the answer to all life's problems.
double aught
AG
Sex Panther said:

Appreciate any insight
Good question. I'm in the same boat.

I really need to upgrade to a Spotify family plan, but I don't want to give up the free Hulu. So as it stands now, my two daughters are slowly ruining my Spotify algorithms by playing Taylor Swift over and over.
TCTTS
AG
i is smart
AG
Sex Panther said:

I haven't messed with the Raspberry Pi's in years, but I remember making a VPN server with one that was fairly simple to set-up. All kinds of step-by-step guides and YouTube videos out there. Firestick is much easier like somebody said, but there's some workarounds if you prefer streaming from your Roku.

If you find that you have no use for a VPN server later on, you can convert the Pi into a Cloud Server, Retro Gaming Console and a bunch of other things lol.
TXAG 05
AG
Sex Panther said:

Appreciate any insight

The Astros are only on ESPN+ for one more game so not really worth it in my opinion. They are going to be on Apple+ for a couple games too.
TCTTS
AG
A) This is hilarious.

B) But also more of this, please. Every steamer should have multiple live channels, and then Apple or Roku or whoever should consolidate all those channels into a single guide/interface.

C) I still love channel surfing too much, and having live TV on while I clean or whatever, to give up YouTubeTV or the like, but more streamers doing this (and all of these channels being in one place) would go a long way toward finally getting me to cut YouTubeTV.

superunknown
AG
It's almost like it was a system that worked pretty good.
Quad Dog
AG
It will probably be a stream of their biggest properties. But it would be cool too if it was a curated stream of deep Disney cuts by "experts" that could shine a light on some of their less viewed products.
TCTTS
AG
double aught
AG
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade just happened to come on Paramount Network tonight and I am enjoying the hell out of it right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.