Lines or jokes you didn't get in a movie

12,514 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was last-year-old when I realized that John Cleese was calling the knights: "Ka-nig-its" in Holy Grail.
UnderoosAg
AG
Apache said:

I didn't understand true meaning of the ZZ Top song "Pearl Necklace" until 7th or 8th grade when my older cousin told me what it meant. I felt like such a badass telling my Jr. High friends that fact afterwards lol.

The Eliminator album got me into ZZ Top at the ripe old age of about 9. Used a bunch of birthday money to get almost the whole collection on cassette. Pearl Necklace, Mexican Blackbird, and Tube Snake Boogie were completely lost on me at the time. Didn't stop me from singing along.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I always thought I was missing the joke in Breakfast Club when John Bender is crawling through the ceiling. Turns out it wasnt a real joke. Or was it????

The Debt
I never understood the line in True Lies where Bill Paxton tells Arnie his side chick has the ass of an 8yo boy. I thought that line would get explained other than him just being a sleazy creep. But considering Hollyweird and the grooming industry, it seemed to be just another nod at a writer sexualizing children. There are a million colorful metaphors to make the car salesman look like a creep, but they landed on that one and then kept it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Debt said:

I never understood the line in True Lies where Bill Paxton tells Arnie his side chick has the ass of an 8yo boy. I thought that line would get explained other than him just being a sleazy creep. But considering Hollyweird and the grooming industry, it seemed to be just another nod at a writer sexualizing children. There are a million colorful metaphors to make the car salesman look like a creep, but they landed on that one and then kept it.

Oh boy. Is this real or just an attempt to draw TCTTS offsides?
AustinAg2K
rednecked said:

Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I never understood why it was a bad thing to want to eat your cake.
that's because everyone says it backwards. the actual phrase is, you can't eat your cake and have it too. Said that way, it makes sense.

Yeah, but why would you want a cake if you're not going to eat it?
The Debt
Know Your Enemy said:

The Debt said:

Oh boy. Is this real or just an attempt to draw TCTTS offsides?

You know...not everything posted on this board is about him. Crazy notion.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

rednecked said:

that's because everyone says it backwards. the actual phrase is, you can't eat your cake and have it too. Said that way, it makes sense.

The Debt
BenTheGoodAg said:

AustinAg2K said:

rednecked said:

If it's of French etymology it makes sense because eating is not possessing. However looking into it, the phrase is English. And English is gutterspeak from french/german/latin/greek, so the comprehension if probably archaic and tied to the French.
Prime0882
AG
I remember 10 year old me didn't get the line "She's gone from suck to blow" from Spaceballs at the time. A lot of that movie flew over my head until I was older...
The Debt
Prime0882 said:

I remember 10 year old me didn't get the line "She's gone from suck to blow" from Spaceballs at the time. A lot of that movie flew over my head until I was older...

I bet she gives great helmet
The Porkchop Express
AG
I heard the word "*******s" for the first time in a movie in the early 1980s, can't remember which, and had no idea what it meant.

Imagine my surprise to my dad's reaction when we were playing a game on our Atari a few weeks later and 8-year-old Porkchop declared "I hate these *******s!" when I was killed.
maroon barchetta
We used that word a number of times in 6th and 7th grade age range before someone alerted us of the meaning.

Even then we didn't understand why it should be a derogatory term. We walked around talking like Jean Paul Jean Paul from "Seinfeld", or Spock in Star Trek IV when he learned to cuss to fit in.
Rudyjax
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I heard the word "*******s" for the first time in a movie in the early 1980s, can't remember which, and had no idea what it meant.

Imagine my surprise to my dad's reaction when we were playing a game on our Atari a few weeks later and 8-year-old Porkchop declared "I hate these *******s!" when I was killed.

Your parents did a poor job raising you. I knew all the curse words by the time I could talk!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Two moments from There's Something About Mary:

1. When Mary's dad opens the door and Ted looks up to make sure he's at the right house.

2. The entire infamous scene, ending with the "hair gel" on the ear.

I was 10 years old when this came out and that entire scene went over my head. I never got why her hair stood up that hard.
MW03
AG
If we're talking scenes you didn't get as a kid

#BustinMakesMeFeelGood
double aught
AG
maroon barchetta said:

We used that word a number of times in 6th and 7th grade age range before someone alerted us of the meaning.

Even then we didn't understand why it should be a derogatory term. We walked around talking like Jean Paul Jean Paul from "Seinfeld", or Spock in Star Trek IV when he learned to cuss to fit in.
Love these two examples.
redline248
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I don't think my 10 year old self got this reference.

One day my son came home and asked why everyone thought the number 69 was funny. I just looked at him with a, "Well, that's weird" kind of look

JPAg88
AG
NoahAg said:

"Nice beaver" made no sense as a kid.
Rudyjax
AG
Really? She handed him a stuffed beaver.
Thomas Little
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Most awesome line that doesn't actually make sense.

The movie is set in the 1880's. The book Tom Sawyer came out in the 1870's. I always took that line to be like a shortened version of him saying something like "You're Tom Sawyer and I'm your Huckleberry Finn". Like they're inseparable. And he just shortens it to "Im your Huckleberry."

Could be completely wrong but that's how I always took the line.
UnderoosAg
AG
redline248 said:

AustinAg2K said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I don't think my 10 year old self got this reference.

One day my son came home and asked why everyone thought the number 69 was funny. I just looked at him with a, "Well, that's weird" kind of look

Also gum. Dry and hard, wet and sticky.
The Kraken
AG
"Baby, please, I am not from Havana"
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
malenurse
AG
I was 17 when I saw Blazing Saddles. Didn't understand that line until a few years later.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
JPAg88
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

That's the joke…Naked Gun humor at its finest.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
JPAg88 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

That's the joke…Naked Gun humor at its finest.

The Naked Gun had a similar joke when Frank was looking around for evidence in that office. He opened a drawer and said "Bingo" only for him to pull a bingo card out. Always made me laugh.
BusterAg
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

It actually makes perfect sense:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-huc1.htm

Also pretty relevant to the time period.
NTAS
Tanya 93 said:

BQ_00 said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

I've read up on this previously bc I was curious as well. Apparently it's an old southern idiom meant to state something along the lines of "I'm the right man for the job".

Odd that it is an old Southern saying because thry do not grow in the South.
Because finding your huckleberry in the south would be a special occasion, not and everyday occurrence. It would be noteworthy when a southerner found a huckleberry.

It wouldn't be too noteworthy for a Floridian to find an alligator or a Canadian to find a maple leaf. "I'm your maple leaf, eh. And so is he, and her, and they, and them"
beanbean
I've always hated Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday about fighting and scratching for an inch. If you're fighting for an inch, you're going to go 3 and out and punting all the time. Plus, you can't rely on a ref to accurately spot the ball that was moved an inch.
Thomas Little
AG
I could never buy Al Pacino as a football coach in that movie. He just didn't seem at all like a coach. Or James Caan in the Program.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounds like this went completely over your head. It's all about fighting for that extra inch at the end of every play.
Pahdz
Absolutely love the original Naked Gun.
javajaws
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sounds like this went completely over your head. It's all about fighting for that extra inch at the end of every play.
Are we still talking about stuffing beavers?
fig96
AG
Oceans Eleven, Danny orders from the bartender "Whiskey, and a whiskey".
jeffk
AG
Iirc, he's showing with his fingers that he wants a triple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.