Lines or jokes you didn't get in a movie

12,501 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
Robert L. Peters
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The title is pretty self explanatory. But rather than just listing jokes you didn't get, I'd like to see some answers given to posters' failure to understand a joke.

Mine: I've seen National Lampoon Vacation at least 70 times. I get all the jokes except for:

"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?"

I've wrassled with this since my first viewing. What is Clark trying to say? Is it a knock on Eddie for not being able to afford ketchup or what? Or is he disgusted by the idea of Eddie making ketchup?

Exchange ketchup for catsup or whatever your yankee upbringing left you with.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Most awesome line that doesn't actually make sense.
AgBQ-00
AG
I've heard a couple of different explanations for that one. The saying at the time meant he was the right one for the job, or was the one he was looking for.

The alternate that I don't think is correct is he was saying I'm your hucklebearer meaning he is a pall bearer.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
The Green Dragon said:

The title is pretty self explanatory. But rather than just listing jokes you didn't get, I'd like to see some answers given to posters' failure to understand a joke.

Mine: I've seen National Lampoon Vacation at least 70 times. I get all the jokes except for:

I've wrassled with this since my first viewing. What is Clark trying to say? Is it a knock on Eddie for not being able to afford ketchup or what? Or is he disgusted by the idea of Eddie making ketchup?

I took it to mean Eddie made his own ketchup from tomatoes he grew.
GoAgs92
AG
The Green Dragon said:

It's a very sarcastic knock on Eddie being poor/cheap because the burgers were made out of hamburger helper that had no actual hamburger.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I don't know why they call that stuff Hamburger Helper. Does just fine on its own.
Robert L. Peters
Know Your Enemy said:

I don't know why they call that stuff Hamburger Helper. Does just fine on its own.

I prefer tuna helper myself. But I still don't get the ketchup bit
flipper94
AG
He didn't make ketchup. He smushed a tomato and put in a bowl. Hence the "REAL tomato ketchup" comment.
Robert L. Peters
Ahh. Ok. Got it. Thanks.

Let's keep it going!
Trajan88
AG
This is a more of 100% "mis-hearing" ... not getting the lines of dialog in the movie.

In Dumb and Dumber... when they were driving and arguing with each other... thought they were saying "No Quincies" ... what the heck did that mean?

Then someone on Texags years ago clarified... they were saying "No quitsies."

It then made perfect sense. :-)

ABATTBQ11
AG
Took me 30+ years, but tonight I realized in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, the flying lion is King Moon Raiser, not King Moon Razor.

Personally, I like the Moon Razor alter ego and the idea that he's a vengeful misfit toy that wants Rudolph to lure Santa to the island of misfit toys so he can imprison him and take over the north pole and Christmas with his army of misfit toys
BQ_00
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

I've read up on this previously bc I was curious as well. Apparently it's an old southern idiom meant to state something along the lines of "I'm the right man for the job".
maroon barchetta
When Wayne's World opened in theaters, I had not yet seen Terminator 2.

When the cop pulls over Wayne in the Mirthmobile, me and a friend who also had not seen T2 had no idea why everybody busted out in laughter when the cop said "Have you seen this boy?"
jokershady
AG
He's referring to burping here…..never got this at all

AgBQ-00
AG
It is also a call back to Austin Powers movie in the hot tub scene with Alotta ***ina (sp?)
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I've spent some time reading on it as well and the takeaway I got was that it could be a few different things, some of which were disputed in different articles. I think generally nobody knows what it really meant when they watched the movie and everybody still loves the line.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Sixty years after it came out in theaters I realized that Cruella Deville actually wanted to HARM the puppies, not merely adopt them all and be friends.
Rudyjax
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Sixty years after it came out in theaters I realized that Cruella Deville actually wanted to HARM the puppies, not merely adopt them all and be friends.
Wait. what?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Funny this started with NLV. As I opened the thread I thought of this line before reading the OP. We watched this over the weekend and I told my wife that I was too young the first few times I watched it and I was always confused, but instinctively knew not to ask what it meant.

Edit: confirming as already mentioned, Clark was referring to Eddie just smashing a bunch of tomatoes and calling ketchup.
Staff - take out the trash.
AustinAg2K
Trajan88 said:

This is a more of 100% "mis-hearing" ... not getting the lines of dialog in the movie.

In Dumb and Dumber... when they were driving and arguing with each other... thought they were saying "No Quincies" ... what the heck did that mean?

Then someone on Texags years ago clarified... they were saying "No quitsies."

It then made perfect sense. :-)

There another line in the movie where Lloyd says he wants to go a place where, "the women flock like the Salmon of Capistrano!". I have no idea what that means, but I still quote it whenever we are leaving to go to Colorado.

Also, whenever I'm in and argument with my wife and she starts throwing out random non sensible stuff, I just start saying, "You can't triple stamp a double stamp! You can't triple stamp a double stamp!"
rgt99
BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

The line is actually, "I'm your huckle bearer". The handle of a coffin is called a huckle, a bearer is someone who carries the coffin. It sounds like huckleberry, but if you listen closely he does say huckle bearer.
maroon barchetta
Chuck Cunningham said:

Wait. what?

It's an old joke jabbing at a certain poster here.

And well-deserved.
Quad Dog
AG
He said salmon instead of swallows.
https://www.birdnote.org/listen/shows/swallows-capistrano
MAROON
AG
Quote:

There another line in the movie where Lloyd says he wants to go a place where, "the women flock like the Salmon of Capistrano!". I have no idea what that means, but I still quote it whenever we are leaving to go to Colorado.
Lloyd is dumb. He mixed up swallows with salmon.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
double aught
AG
rgt99 said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

The line is actually, "I'm your huckle bearer". The handle of a coffin is called a huckle, a bearer is someone who carries the coffin. It sounds like huckleberry, but if you listen closely he does say huckle bearer.
That sounds made up.
aggieactor01
AG
rgt99 said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

"I'm your Huckleberry"

Val Kilmer himself has said the line is huckleberry.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/val-kilmer-im-your-huckle-bearer/
Rudyjax
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Wait. what?

And well-deserved.

No, I mean she wanted to hurt them???
maroon barchetta
The Porkchop Express
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

maroon barchetta said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Wait. what?

And well-deserved.

No, I mean she wanted to hurt them???
Well if skinning them to make a coat is hurting them, then yes, kinda.
Rex Racer
AG
GoAgs92 said:

The Green Dragon said:

It's a very sarcastic knock on Eddie being poor/cheap because the burgers were made out of hamburger helper that had no actual hamburger.
This is the correct answer.
gigemags-99
AG
It was probably my 75th watching of Sixteen Candles before I got the joke of the exchange students name - Long Duck Dong. I thought it was just a funny name until I really listened to the younger brother when he says "how do you think I feel? I'm sleeping under a chinaman named after a duck's dork"
deadhead aggie
AG
the scene in Raising Arizona where Gale and Evelle are robbing the bank......just before they leave, Gale yells, "Anyone found bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat"..........no idea what that means........

Bruce Almighty
AG

I don't think my 10 year old self got this reference.
AustinAg2K
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't think my 10 year old self got this reference.

One day my son came home and asked why everyone thought the number 69 was funny. I just looked at him with a, "Well, that's weird" kind of look
wcb
AG
We recently totaled a car. Thus began the insurance run around. I think we were transferred to three different agents in a matter of 36 hours.

I explained to my teen daughter the scene from The Incredibles where Bob's in his cube trying to help a policy holder and his boss flips a lid. For the first time she understood the scene and agreed it was hysterical.

"BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SHAREHOLDERS, BOB!?!?!"

To this day it's one of my favorite scenes in a movie. Up there with the sloths working the DMV.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.