***** Casablanca *****

4,877 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Buck Compton
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The first (of hopefully many) Texags movies of the week thread is here. Currently, Casablanca is on HBO Max.

From now (9/26) until 10/2 this thread will be spoilers-free. Please do not ruin any of these movies. On 10/3 we will open up for spoilers.

Avoid this trailer if you want to go in completely blind:

IMBD Link

Movie of the week thread (for reference)

Chipotlemonger
AG

Quote:

From now (8/26) until 9/2 this thread will be spoilers-free. Please do not ruin any of these movies. On 9/3 we will open up for spoilers.
Checks date...
Claude!
I am shocked, shocked, to find out that this is the movie of the week in this board.
powerbelly
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Quote:

From now (8/26) until 9/2 this thread will be spoilers-free. Please do not ruin any of these movies. On 9/3 we will open up for spoilers.
Checks date...

BowSowy
AG
Soooo spoilers are allowed since it's after 9/3?
powerbelly
AG
BowSowy said:

Soooo spoilers are allowed since it's after 9/3?
I am a dumbass
torrid
AG
I was afraid to click on this, thinking it might be a re-make.

When I first watch this movie completely years ago, I was very impressed with the director's use of lighting to help tell the story. I think it was an art necessary in the days of black-and-white.
Duncan Idaho
Claude! said:

I am shocked, shocked, to find out that this is the movie of the week in this board.

Your posts sir.

Duncan Idaho
Can we give a prize to the first person that posts the time stamp when he says "play it again Sam"?
oragator
For my money, best movie ever made. Will give my full diatribe after the blackout is lifted. But it's not spoiling anything to say that because it was filmed during the war and many of the actors were directly impacted in various ways off screen, much of the emotion is real. Which makes it pretty unique in the history of cinema.
Burrus86
AG
I'm an old Ag. I had a young Aggie friend of mine (24) recently tell me that Maverick Top Gun was the best movie ever made. I used Casablanca and several other "old" movies to illustrate that my young friend was wrong. One of his responses was "I don't watch black and white" movies.
Claude!
Duncan Idaho said:

Claude! said:

Your posts sir.

Oh, thank you very much.
bluefire579
AG
Great choice for our first film club movie. All time classic, looking forward to revisiting.
Duncan Idaho
He had a point. Imagine how great Casablanca would have been if the bad guys were never identified and just referred to as "the enemy"
cr0wbar
AG
Might start it after I finish up the new Rick & Morty episode from last night
Quad Dog
AG
Been a while since I've seen this. Hopefully it is as good as I remember.

This movie is currently streaming on HBO Max, but can be rented at all the usual locations.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Burrus86 said:

I'm an old Ag. I had a young Aggie friend of mine (24) recently tell me that Maverick Top Gun was the best movie ever made. I used Casablanca and several other "old" movies to illustrate that my young friend was wrong. One of his responses was "I don't watch black and white" movies.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your young friend is missing out if he seriously does not watch black and white movies. There are some truly excellent movies from the years before most of our lifetimes. Having said that, I likely would never consider any movie that came before I was born to be the greatest ever made. For the reason that I was not there to experience it on the theater screen when it came out. TV simply does not translate the emotional experience that one gets when fully immersed with sight and sound in a darkened theater.

For instance, I just saw the latest movie from the Atlanta church about a boy that was adopted, titled Lifemark. It was one of most emotional movies I've ever seen, but had I waited for it to show on TV, it would have been just another Made-For-TV movie. Just yesterday, I saw the "old" movie Poltergeist at a theater for the first time since 1982. I was much more emotionally invested in the movie yesterday, a movie that I've seen a number of times since it first came out, than any time when watching it on TV, whether that be via broadcast TV, laser disc (yes, I have one of those), or blu ray/digital.
#FJB
Hey Nav
AG
I saw Casablanca at the Grove in (probably) 1977. Cost $1 ($2 with date). Popcorn was very cheap.

Good times.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Looking forward to watching this.
Chipotlemonger
AG
This was hinted at in the other thread, but for these older movies especially, no phones! Stay off the devices or distractions to truly immerse yourselves.
Duncan Idaho
I assume we are planning on watching the good version not the boring one

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-02-17-ca-3062-story.html
powerbelly
AG
You mean Out Cold?
DallasTeleAg
I'm actually very happy this was the movie we are starting with. One I have never sat down to watch. I will be watching it on Friday or Saturday.

I got scared when I saw the winner of the poll was Pulp Fiction, followed by Star Wars. Really, TexAgs? I would be perfectly happy saying all movies made after 1990 are off limits on this, as I bet most ET board posters have a more likely chance to have seen them.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm down with just skipping Star Wars. This weekly movie deal should be for stuff that <<99.9% of the board has already seen.
mslags97
AG
powerbelly said:

The first (of hopefully many) Texags movies of the week thread is here. Currently, Casablanca is on HBO Max.

From now (9/26) until 10/2 this thread will be spoilers-free. Please do not ruin any of these movies. On 10/3 we will open up for spoilers.

Avoid this trailer if you want to go in completely blind:

IMBD Link

Movie of the week thread (for reference)

Are we talking 10/3 of 1950 on that spoiler date?
DallasTeleAg
Wow... that was clever!

Please catch up to what we are doing before being a smartass.
cbr
AG
should be the start of a beautiful friendship...
citizenkane06
AG
My favorite screenplay in all of movies. It's wonderful dialogue that keeps the rhythm flowing seamlessly from one scene to the next.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I probably know almost all of the infamous one liners from this movie, but I dont think I've seen it all the way from beginning to end. I'll try and take a gander here in a few days.

Thanks for starting this, powerbelly.
CapCityAg89
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Can we give a prize to the first person that posts the time stamp when he says "play it again Sam"?

How this great post only has one star (mine) is beyond me.

Great stuff. That line is iconic.
Hey Nav
AG
I figured this crowd was more refined and polite than to point out this statement.
CapCityAg89
AG
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, why'd she have to walk into mine.
schmendeler
AG
Bummer, I was hoping this was about a reboot to freshen up this stale flick.
Quad Dog
AG
Go see the Pam Anderson classic Barb Wire. Same plot.
mslags97
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Wow... that was clever!

Please catch up to what we are doing before being a smartass.

Who is the smartass?! It was a joke! I voted and commented on the initial thread and am excited about this….. good grief!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.