***** Casablanca *****

4,913 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Buck Compton
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, why I think this is the greatest movie ever made.
It was the first movie to intelligently deal with the deep emotions of a failed romance. Every romance movie, even Romcoms, trace their roots back to this film.
Every one off quip to lighten the mood in a drama or action movie traces its roots to Captain Renault.
Movies that try to span multiple genres (romance, action, geopolitical in this case), have some lines back to this. It was the first and best to do it.
The completely radical idea of having the two main characters not end up together and have it still work was amazing.
As I mentioned above, the fact that it was filmed during the war and many of the actors emotions were real makes it unique in cinema history,
And I do think the La Marseillaise scene is the best in the history of cinema. The course of the movie and of the three main actors was set in that scene with almost no dialogue. A symbolic "victory" over the Germans achieved. The tears of the actors were real, given they were European refugees largely, and all against that rousing music. And then to close it out with the irony and comedy of Renault was perfect.

Plus Bogart and Bergman were magic. And all the iconic lines, to this day still used, that came out of it.

So yeah, fight me,
powerbelly
AG
Spoilers are now allowed. You all have been warned.
DallasTeleAg
Overall, I thought it was a good movie. However, it did not blow me away. I came into it really hoping it was going to wow me, and I ended up just thinking it was good. My list of black and white films is pretty small, but a movie like 12 Angry Men is one I immediately thought was amazing when I first saw it.

I can understand and appreciate its importance in cinema history, but that is not really how I judge my enjoyment of a movie.

I do really like the use of shadows in older movies like this. It's one of the reasons Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite Indy film. I love those highly contrasted shadows of objects, and use of shadows when framing a scene or character.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

the La Marseillaise scene is the best in the history of cinema.

Completely agree. The fact that it was shot in 1942 and the war was very much in doubt adds so much weight to the acting. So many actors, both German and European that were displaced by the Nazis, in the movie.

Every scene in this movie hits for me. Renault stands out more every time I re-watch.

One of my favorite Renault quotes:

Quote:

Major Strasser: You give him credit for too much cleverness. My impression was that he's just another blundering American.

Captain Renault: We musn't underestimate "American blundering". I was with them when they "blundered" into Berlin in 1918.

If this were a modern movie we would get a ridiculous buddy movie with Rick and Capt Renault and I would be in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll admit it didn't blow me away either, but that said I did really enjoy it.

It took me about 10 minutes to get used to that exaggerated voice they used to put on in the 40's, which sounds a bit like a caricature. But it was more an issue on the streets of Casablanca rather than once we get to Rick's.

Anyone else feel like it felt very Raiders in those opening 20 minutes or so? Like it could've been the same sets they used 40 years later.

It was cool finally hearing all those famous lines in context. Have to say though, I don't really love that "beautiful friendship" line at the end. That cop is still a corrupt POS.

I'll also say that for the whole move hinging on this torrid love affair in Paris, they didn't really spend a ton of time developing it for us. We see the aftermath of it in Casablanca, and we see them once they're already in love, but not even a meet-cute or anything.

Overall I give it a solid 7.5/10. I think I prefer Gone With the Wind overall, slightly over this one.
Quad Dog
AG
I love old school stuff like the opening city shots used Matte painting backgrounds

For an older movie this thing moves. Immediately started with suspects being rounded up and a guy getting shot with expired France and free France propaganda. Then right into Ricks to set up the MacGuffin of the transit papers and the character.

The camera work inside Ricks at the beginning is insane with tracking shots and tons of extras. The use of mirrors and shadows.

Too many great quotes and lines to list.

Every standoff between Lazlo and the German Major is so well done. Can just feel the tension and hatred.

Ilsa's face while she is hearing As Time Goes By is well acted. Can read the emotion on her face.

No subtitles while in France really helps set the mood. You don't need to know what is being said to know the point.

Love the pickpocket (the vultures, vultures guy) showing up multiple times. And then the maitre d checking his pockets after bumping into him. It's small side character like that that will elevate a movie and reward rewatches.

Not sure what else I can say about the La Marseillaise scene that people much better than me haven't already said, but man.... so good.

I love how it doesn't spell out Rick's plan to get Ilsa and Lazlo on the plane. It's left to the audience to figure out what he's up to.

Fun fact: The plane at the end was made out of cardboard and they used little person actors around it in the background to make it look bigger.

A sign of the times that they can only hint at Rick and Ilsa's sexual past, and Renault giving visas away for sex instead of stating it directly.

There have been two attempts at TV series based on this movie. In 1955 set in the Cold War. Then again in 1983. So TV and movies have been obsessed with rebooting media forever.

Renault is such a great mix of charming and slimy that you don't realize he's constantly providing exposition, character backstory, and character traits.

What exactly does "Here's looking at you kid" mean and why would you say it as a toast or a romantic phrase?
AgBQ-00
AG
So much about this movie just hits with me. The emotions of love entwined with the stakes of a global war and the portrayal of everyone looking out for themselves rings true in so many ways. You have those who are trying to enrich themselves off of the plight of those in true need. The people in need willing to do anything to get out of a bad situation, and you get the understanding that behind the jaded exterior you have a compassionate person in Rick. It just mixes so utterly well that it is moving.

In the end Rick putting his desires aside to aid the side of good is amazing and is inspiring to me.
CapCityAg89
AG
You played it for her, you can play it for me…
Play it Sam!

As to the beautiful friendship quote - they're both crooked. That's the whole point. Be crooked in a crooked world. Make money. But remember what's actually important and do the right thing when it counts. They know they can trust each other in the end.

Aside from its influence factor, this is simply fantastic cinema and storytelling we rarely see. Top 4 for me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, apparently letters of transit were made up for this movie. Solid macguffin though.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, apparently letters of transit were made up for this movie. Solid macguffin though.

Didn't know that.
powerbelly
AG
Small things I like:
  • The chess game that Rick is playing in the movie is a real correspondence game Bogart was playing with a friend during the filming
  • That we don't know why Rick can't go back to America
  • They had to shoot the airport scene inside due to nighttime light restrictions at airports
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Was anyone else surprised how short it was? I always thought of it as a huge, sprawling, 3 hour epic like GWTW or Lawrence of Arabia.
powerbelly
AG
For the Disney World fans:

Quote:

The rear half of the movie prop plane that Ilsa and Victor flew out of Casablanca can be seen as plane wreckage on the Jungle Cruise ride at Walt Disney World.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice. Solid piece of trivia.

The back is in Jungle Cruise, and the front was used in The Great Movie Ride.
Quad Dog
AG
hmmm. Snopes says it's not the plane on the rides.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-plane-truth-2/
DallasTeleAg
I also wish they had built up the relationship better between the two.

One of my biggest issues when watching older movies has always been the dialogue along with that transatlantic accent they used to use. It just seems so... fake? It's fine, and I can still enjoy the movie, but it takes a while to get used to understanding it. It also makes everything I watch feel like a play and not especially immersive.

I would give it a 7/10 (Good)

My personal rankings are:
10 - Perfect or near perfect
9 - Fantastic
8 - Great
7 - Good
6 - Fine
5 - Watchable
4 - Not very good
3-1 - Varying degrees of bad to absolutely awful.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I consider Casablanca to be a solid movie from its era. I love the characters - movies from this era tended to be much more character driven than we see these days. I didn't need a lot of exposition on who they were, what their motivations were, etc, because it was conveyed very well in the France sequence and with a few lines of dialogue.

I also love the cinematography, especially as already referenced, the shadows that perhaps was an influence on Stevie Spielberg roughly 40 years later.

The only thing I found amusingly bad was the airplane taking off. Clearly a model on a line- no airplane takes off like it does in this movie. But, well, there was a war going on, and war movies of the period are equally bad in their depiction of period-specific aircraft and their flight characteristics. And I said amusingly, as in watching an old Godzilla flick with the dude in the rubber suit stomping out obvious model tanks and buildings and swatting down model airplanes on wires.

I'd give Casablanca a solid 9/10.
#FJB
Apache
AG
Quote:

What exactly does "Here's looking at you kid" mean and why would you say it as a toast or a romantic phrase?

I never really thought about it, but it's seems to be a total non sequitur.
Then I did 5 minutes of google searching & found this:
Quote:

The toast goes back more than half a century before the scriptwriters of Casablanca used it in 1942.
From Anonymous, A Holiday Skip to the Far West (1884), we have this scene set in the Southern Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri:
Quote:

"Any friend of Mr. O'Sullivan welcome. Will you nominate your poisons, gentlemen?" Since poisoning was apparently a necessity, I nominated whisky and water, in preference to a native mixture. It would be more satisfactory to know the cause of death, thought I, should this uncalled-for fatality occur. "Wall, here's looking at you," says my newly-acquired friend of the white apron, winking over the bottle-nose, and emptying his glass. "Here's how," responds the porter, and the curious bacchanalian ceremony came to a close. I am not proud, and enjoyed the hospitality, as the porter paid the drinks, be it said to his credit.

The post linked goes on to add several more examples, then provides us this:
Quote:

Evidently, the expression was widely viewed as being quintessentially American, which would make sense in Casablanca as another marker of Rick's Americanness.
Here's Looking at You, Kid

VarkAg77
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Overall, I thought it was a good movie. However, it did not blow me away. I came into it really hoping it was going to wow me, and I ended up just thinking it was good. My list of black and white films is pretty small, but a movie like 12 Angry Men is one I immediately thought was amazing when I first saw it.

I can understand and appreciate its importance in cinema history, but that is not really how I judge my enjoyment of a movie.

I do really like the use of shadows in older movies like this. It's one of the reasons Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite Indy film. I love those highly contrasted shadows of objects, and use of shadows when framing a scene or character.
The first time I watched Casablanca, I thought the same as you; okay, but not that great. The next time I watched it, I enjoyed it much better - I appreciated the dialogue more, the use of light and shadow, Bergman's subdued beauty, the context and especially the heartrending ending. Every time I've watched it since, (Five? Ten times?) I've loved it more and more.

I always appreciate something in it that I didn't notice before, but it took me watching it more than once to "see" it all.
Buck Compton
AG
I agree. A lot of the acting and impact is in nuance. The whole movie is about that nuance. It took me multiple viewings to start to appreciate all of those seemingly little things.

It's the little looks, the small comments and word choices. It's a nod here or there that signal huge changes in the characters. When Rick nods to the band in the Marseillaise scene, he actually decides to commit to the cause for the first time. Things like that I didn't even notice the first time I watched it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.