***** Casablanca *****

4,914 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Buck Compton
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CapCityAg89 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Can we give a prize to the first person that posts the time stamp when he says "play it again Sam"?

How this great post only has one star (mine) is beyond me.

Great stuff. That line is iconic.
It's almost as iconic as, "Luke, I am your father."
CapCityAg89
AG
AustinAg2K said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Can we give a prize to the first person that posts the time stamp when he says "play it again Sam"?

torrid
AG
mslags97 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Wow... that was clever!

Please catch up to what we are doing before being a smartass.

Who is the smartass?! It was a joke! I voted and commented on the initial thread and am excited about this….. good grief!

The usual suspects ruin everything.
NoahAg
Y'all really warning about spoilers for an 80 year old movie?
Let's go, Brandon!
powerbelly
AG
NoahAg said:

Absolutely. This is a thread for watching movies we haven't seen yet and then discussing them.

This isn't hard to understand.
Duncan Idaho
AustinAg2K said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

That's the joke.jpg
DallasTeleAg
AustinAg2K said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

AG
As a millennial, I'd never seen Casablanca and this thread inspired me to watch it for the first time.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Hilarious characters, great lines, good storyline. Renault was my favorite character, even if he was a bit unscrupulous.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
NoahAg said:

You really making the same joke from earlier in the thread?
jkag89
DallasTeleAg said:

AustinAg2K said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Of course it is, both are misquoted iconic lines from classic movies.
Chipotlemonger
AG
210 said:

As a millennial, I'd never seen Casablanca and this thread inspired me to watch it for the first time.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Hilarious characters, great lines, good storyline. Renault was my favorite character, even if he was a bit unscrupulous.
This is great! The whole purpose of Movie of the Week in my mind. Get people outside of their usual entertainment comfort zone and see a little more of what is out there!
cr0wbar
AG
36 yr old millennial here - like a previous poster mentioned, just never got around to watching this classic. This was a fantastic movie, really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the spoiler discussion *lift* next week

Small movie question tangent: Towards the beginning of the movie - the actors are HUSTLIN'. Getting in and out of cars/planes, saluting. Every time I watch an early era film, the actors are moving incredibly fast. Just an observation that's always interested me.
AgBQ-00
AG
Love this movie. Looking forward to the discussion of it.
hunter2012
AG
Here's a history lesson that should make everyone appreciate Casablanca even more. The movie was filmed and released in 1942. Shooting on it started only months after Pearl Harbor and we hadn't even set foot in the European theater yet. Nazi Germany looked unbeatable they had total control over western Europe. Think about it, they filmed that movie with no idea how the war was going to go.

A few scenes should stick out that shows this.

First, the famous one with the French National anthem, the entire room of extras were French exiles and France was wholly occupied and had been for 3 years. Those folks weren't acting the tears that you see on screen.

Another scene that shows the fog of war, is where they talk about Victor Laszlo escaping the concentration camps. They knew there were camps, but they assumed them to at least to be semi-humane prison camps as far as European standards go. They had absolutely no idea the horrors that occurred at the camps and it shows in the movie.

The moral of the story is that in a war of good vs evil, one HAS to pick a side. They had no idea who was going to win but one has to pick a side. The second lesson is that once you've picked a side you have to play your part and to the best of your ability. Victor Lazlo was an inspiring idealistic figure but he had no idea how maneuver the Casablanca underworld to setup his own or Elsa's escape. Rick is too cynical to inspire those around him, but he was a realist that knew how to smuggle a VIP out of Casablanca and how to maneuver law enforcement. When he picked a side Rick was extremely effective in his role and it saved Victor and Elsa. In turn it inspired Renault to join the cause and save Rick. It wasn't Victor that inspired Renault to action, but seeing cynical Rick pick a side and owning his own role did. With that I'll leave my favorite quip:

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Good points on this movie.

In my last year at A&M, I had a roommate who exposed me to movies that I'd either never seen or never even heard of. Movies like The Graduate for the former category, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner for the latter category. After I left A&M, it was watching older movies like those that led me to rent a bunch of movies from the local Blockbuster, one of which was Casablanca. I thought it was great at the time, but haven't seen it since. I plan to watch it with the wife on Friday. I expect to pick up on more subtle stuff in the movie this time around.
#FJB
Quad Dog
AG
Thanks for doing this so I had an excuse to watch this amazing movie again. More thoughts when the embargo is lifted.
C1NRB
AG
torrid said:

The usual suspects ruin everything.
Yeah, I see what you did there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The wife and I watched this last night.

I'll be interested in what others have to say next week.
#FJB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Starting this now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is Humphrey Bogart the coolest person ever born? He might just be.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Me every time a famous quote is uttered.
AgBQ-00
AG
Rewatchimg now. Makes me want a fedora and a 3 piece suit
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Claude! said:

I am shocked, shocked, to find out that this is the movie of the week in this board.

LOL. Well done.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
cr0wbar said:

36 yr old millennial here - like a previous poster mentioned, just never got around to watching this classic. This was a fantastic movie, really enjoyed it! Looking forward to the spoiler discussion *lift* next week

Small movie question tangent: Towards the beginning of the movie - the actors are HUSTLIN'. Getting in and out of cars/planes, saluting. Every time I watch an early era film, the actors are moving incredibly fast. Just an observation that's always interested me.

Not sure if Casablanca is affected by this phenomena specifically, but a lot of old films (three stooges, for example) look really sped up.

"Early in the 20th century the video cameras used for filming recorded at lower speeds, usually 16 frames per second (fps). This meant that 16 still frames were recorded for every second that passed. The films were then shown to audiences using a 16fps projector. Today when we see the videos play, they run not at 16fps, but at 24fps, so instead of having 16 frames taking up a full second of time, it's compressed to .67 seconds which gives the illusion of a sped up film. Another way to think of it is 1.5 seconds of footage being shown in 1 second."

https://alifespentwondering.com/p/54/why-do-old-films-play-fast/#:~:text=The%20films%20were%20then%20shown,of%20a%20sped%20up%20film.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but they started adding blank frames to films spaced out evenly to get to 24 FPS.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Now that's a tidbit of information that I'd not heard previously. That seems a good explanation for that "moving fast" thing.
#FJB
Quad Dog
AG
You're like that the whole movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There was three iconic quotes within a span of two minutes right at the end. All AFI's top 100 quotes. That was impressive.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Me every time a famous quote is uttered.

Called it

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3320979/replies/63039829
rednecked
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Rewatchimg now. Makes me want a fedora and a 3 piece suit

Wondering how out of place a nice fez would look..
DallasTeleAg
I'll be watching tonight, after the game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hope you've turned it off already.
powerbelly
AG
I honestly can't wait for the reactions next week
DallasTeleAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I hope you've turned it off already.
Yep... and now I have to chill for a few hours to bring down my blood pressure so I can actually enjoy the movie.
jkag89
Ms Bergman's smile should help in lowering your blood pressure.
DallasTeleAg
Finished it.

It took at least 20 minutes for my ears to get used to the audio mix. Even so, I had to pay very close attention to understand all the dialogue because of how fast they talk.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.