***** Texags Movie of the Week *****

5,510 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Voted
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Voted for movies that I have not seen either at all or never finished
#FJB
DallasTeleAg
Yeah... I really hope we actually get some movies people haven't seen. I would hate to have something like Star Wars come up. There are already Star Wars and Marvel discussion threads. I would love to participate in a thread about Chinatown or The Maltese Falcon. That would really be refreshing for the ET board.
bluefire579
AG
I did a watch through of them all like a decade ago, so I tried to go with ones that I either don't remember a lot or that I thought a lot of people wouldn't have watched.

I'm of the opinion that given the amount of Star Wars discussion that already happens on this board, we should consider omitting that one, but I obviously won't complain about having to watch it again.
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Voted for movies that I have not seen either at all or never finished

Same
MGS
bluefire579 said:

powerbelly said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

powerbelly said:

So far, half of the people have voted for Star Wars.

We're gonna end up discussing Star Wars, so basically nothing new for this board.
If we do, we should watch The Searchers, The Hidden Fortress, and Flash Gordon first so we can discuss how they inspired star wars.
If we're doing that, we should go ahead and read "A Princess of Mars" too
That'll be the day!
The Porkchop Express
Definitely Not A Cop said:

1. Texags watches the movie.
2. Texags ranks the movie
3. TCTTS puts the rankings up on his website.
4. Texags rankings overtake IMDB and rotten tomatoes
5. TCTTS is revealed as Barnes
6. Listeater is forced to take him out
7. Apple TV does a biopic about it.
8. Texags gets mad when they make listeater black.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
The Porkchop Express
Voting reminded me that my 11th grade English teacher let us watch Apocalypse Now in class after we read Heart of Darkness.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
redline248
AG
This is going to be a project
bluefire579
AG
Same. Love that movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Voting reminded me that my 11th grade English teacher let us watch Apocalypse Now in class after we read Heart of Darkness.

One of the classes a grade above me saw Lolita in high school. My friend still talks about it.

And this was a private, Catholic high school.
The Porkchop Express
School memories of watching movies in class in the 1980s and early 1990s that would never fly in 2022

Apocalypse Now: Girls in my class screaming when they thought a puppy was going to get killed, but perfectly OK with Marines killing Vietnamese peasants with machine guns.

The Outsiders: Me and every other guy in 8th grade yelling "OH YEAH!" when Ralph Macchhio pulls out the switchblade when the Socs are trying to drown Pony Boy.

Pretty Woman: My 11th grade World History teacher, who was probably 24 years old (no Rule 1 because it was 31 years ago) let us watch if on the last day before Christmas break because nobody needed to take the final as we all had made A's and B's. Had a friend from India who went home and told his parents "We watched a movie about a prostitute!" and they pulled him out of the class for the spring semester.

Amadeus: Watched that in music history in high school. Rampant nudity, both male and female. Many of my classmates heard the C word for the first time.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Wow, some of y'all got to watch some good movies in school. All I recall were mostly PBS stuff, with To Kill a Mockingbird in 9th grade English.
#FJB
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Watched Hoosiers 3-4 times in Comm one year. The coach would put it on whenever he didn't feel like teaching that day.
DallasTeleAg
We were going to watch The Patriot and Saving Private Ryan in my Junior year American History class, but someone's parents said something after we watched the Patriot, so we never saw Saving Private Ryan.
maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Wow, some of y'all got to watch some good movies in school. All I recall were mostly PBS stuff, with To Kill a Mockingbird in 9th grade English.

We had the classic Romeo and Juliet balcony scene.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I voted for about half movies I haven't seen and half that I have that I feel like like more people need to see
jkag89
Quote:

Amadeus: Watched that in music history in high school. Rampant nudity, both male and female. Many of my classmates heard the C word for the first time.
Must have shown the Directors Cut. I'm fairly certain the Theatrical release was no worse than PG-13. Lots of very low cut dresses and some bare backsides but no rampant nudity unless I just forgot something from the asylum scenes.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Um there are a couple of things that would be very hard to forget, especially for a high schooler.
jkag89
The original theatrical release was PG, are you sure you're not thinking of the Director's Cut?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I watched it I think on a streaming service once? Not sure which cut I saw.
bluefire579
AG
Only one of those I saw in school was Apocalypse Now.

I remember watching Last of the Mohicans in 8th grade (needed a permission slip for that one), the 1960s Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade (got talked up as having boobs, but it was like a super brief flash), a stage version of King Lear, and then getting extra credit for watching and reporting on a few movies at home for World History class. I'm sure there were more, but those were the most memorable ones to me.
The Porkchop Express
We also watched what I guess was a BBC version of Hamlet with Patrick Stewart as Claudius. I was one of three people who got detention because I couldn't shut up with the Picard references.
powerbelly
AG
We have 43 survey responses. Let me compile and get results in a bit.
powerbelly
AG

Our top 10:

• Pulp Fiction (1994)
  • Star Wars (1977)
  • Apocalypse Now (1979)
  • The Godfather (1972)
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
  • Schindler's List (1993)
  • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
  • Blade Runner (1982)
  • Casablanca (1942)
  • The Searchers (1956)

I propose we alternate old and newer to start:

For example:

Casablanca, Pulp Fiction, The Searchers, Shawshank, etc.

We also had write-in votes for the following:
  • Seven Samurai
  • The Hidden Fortress
  • The Thing
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
  • Outlaw Josey Wales
  • Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
  • A Bridge Too Far
  • Blues Brothers
  • Predator
  • The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
  • Children of Men
  • Easy Rider
  • Big Trouble in Little China
  • Rocky III
  • The Social Network
  • Moneyball
  • Oceans 11
  • National Treasure
  • Jaws
  • Amadeus
  • The Third Man

We can also mix in holiday classics as we go to fit the season.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Well gee, I've seen each of the top 10 choices and most of the write-ins as well.
#FJB
cr0wbar
AG

powerbelly
AG
cr0wbar said:

You snooze you lose.

powerbelly
AG
I propose we start with Casablanca. It is currently on HBO Max.
jkag89
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I second that. I've never seen it, am interested in watching it, and can easily stream it.
powerbelly
AG

Casablanca thread
redline248
AG
How long do we have to watch it?
powerbelly
AG
redline248 said:

How long do we have to watch it?
We are not going to have any spoiler discussions until 10/3.
cbr
AG
fwiw,

Love them all except
The following I didn't really care for that much - but do get why they would be here:

Apocalypse now
2001 a space odyssey
One flew over the ****oo's nest
These all just took themselves waaay too seriously.
Sound of music
mash
psycho
Philadelphia story
ET

I don't really get the following at all:

Unforgiven
Deer hunter
Taxi driver
Tootsie

Haven't seen
Signing in the rain, easy rider, city lights, do the right thing, yanky doodle dandy, duck soup, whos afraid of Va Wolfe, bringing up baby, sophies choice

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.