*** CONFESS, FLETCH *** (Jon Hamm)

9,602 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Wes97
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First, a confession of my own... I've never seen the Chevy Chase Fletch movies, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I have zero reference point for this version.

That being said... it's not bad!

And with an 85% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, critics, at least, seem to agree. Yes, it definitely thinks it's funnier/more clever than it actually is, but that doesn't stop it from being a competent little murder mystery that at least got a few chuckles out of me, held my attention, and looked good doing it. Greg Mattola - the director of Superbad and the writer/director of Adventureland - both wrote and directed this as well, so it's got some pedigree behind it too.

Again, it's nothing special, but if you're looking for an hour-and-a-half+ to kill, and want some light-hearted entertainment, it's not a bad way to go...

Confess, Fletch
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12718300/
September 16, 2022
Theatrical + Digital

powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

First, a confession of my own... I've never seen the Chevy Chase Fletch movies, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I have zero reference point for this version.

How is that even possible
Know Your Enemy
AG
powerbelly said:

TCTTS said:

How is that even possible
I just lost all respect for TCTTS.
Decay
AG
So you have a homework assignment. Get to it!
Eso si, Que es
gigemags-99
AG
wcb
AG
Trailer looks decent. Original was laugh out loud funny. Even my teen son liked it.
ElephantRider
AG
Just watched the trailer last night. I think it looks pretty good. Hamm should play a good Fletch.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Seriously TC, do yourself a favor. If you like Chevy Chase even a little bit, you will love Fletch.

The only movie he's been in I've ever liked more is The Three Amigos.
Big Cat `93
AG
Seriously. Watch the original.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Fletch is probably in my top 3 comedies. I love Fletch 2. I've read a few of the books. I forgot this was happening until I heard Hamm in Dana Carveys podcast recently.

He said he wasn't trying to just rip of Chevy because only Chevy can really do Chevy and Fletch is perfect. But this looks fantastic. Hamm is so great.
Max Power
AG

Flatlander
Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.
superunknown
AG
Flatlander said:

Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Looks like someone (the OP) needs a refresher
AGBU94
AG
Never seen it? How?

I am afraid that I would need to know if you have seen FX, Big Trouble, Escape from New York, and a few other 80's classics before I have confidence in your recommendations again.

Can I borrow your towel, I just ran into a water buffalo....gets me every time.
Old School Brother
Max Power said:

Fletch: How's the lobster thermador?
Waiter: I recommend it, but it is $80 a portion.
Fletch: Well, we'd better just have two portions of that then.
oragator
Yeah, I'm dumbfounded that you haven't seen it. Not a criticism even, just shocked,
It's such a quoted and even copied comedy, I would have thought it's almost a must watch for a screen writer.

The second one is even decent, though not as good as the first. The first one is a comedy classic.

Rocagnante
AG
I'm still trying to determine if I'm upset or not they made a Fletch movie without Chevy Chase. Was he just not available or not interested?
Andyzipp
AG
Rocagnante said:

I'm still trying to determine if I'm upset or not they made a Fletch movie without Chevy Chase. Was he just not available or not interested?
Or he's nearly 80, and supposedly a giant PITA who no one wanted to deal with.
Aggie87
AG
Rocagnante said:

He might be a little old for the role at this point.

Rocagnante
AG
They could have worked him in somehow even if not the lead. Doesn't seem like a Fletch movie without him involved. Kind of like that Independence Day sequel without Will Smith. Seemed hollow.
Prosperdick
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Both Fletch movies were awesome. The books are great too they had a lot of material never understood why they did not make more. Not big budget stuff easy to make - except working with Chevy perhaps.

I'll watch this. But yeah they could have easily made him fletch's son. Fletch Too. Which was ironically the title of one of the Fletch books.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Fred "The Dorf" Dorfman
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
put it on the Underhill's tab.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
His fake names alone killed me.

Know Your Enemy
AG
What kind of a name is Poon?
ElephantRider
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

What kind of a name is Poon?
Comanche Indian
Citizen Reign
Big fan of Hamm and know he is comedic, but I'm having a hard time seeing him as the idiot that was Fletch.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Citizen Reign said:

Big fan of Hamm and know he is comedic, but I'm having a hard time seeing him as the idiot that was Fletch.

Fletch wasn't an idiot per se imho. Clumsy for sure. Somewhat lazy and definitely cavalier. But he was pretty intuitive he was just a wild card and flew by the seat of his pants. He was a dogged reporter and took a lot of risks and did not follow rules. Occasionally he ended up in trouble but he was good at talking his way out of a jam.

malenurse
AG
Quote:

You know, what tipped it for me was something your wife said while we were in bed together.
TCTTS
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Citizen Reign said:

Fletch wasn't an idiot per se imho. Clumsy for sure. Somewhat lazy and definitely cavalier. But he was pretty intuitive he was just a wild card and flew by the seat of his pants. He was a dogged reporter and took a lot of risks and did not follow rules. Occasionally he ended up in trouble but he was good at talking his way out of a jam.

I would say this is a spot-on description of Hamm's version as well. While multiple people *call* him an "idiot," he never really acts like one. More than anything, he might subtly play up the buffoon angle to his advantage at times, but that's about it. "Cavalier" is a great way to describe him. It's mainly that he just doesn't give a sh*t what anyone else thinks of him, is always nonchalantly weaseling out of jam, etc. But yeah, he certainly shows that he has the skills/smarts to get the job done, is never not on the hunt, etc.
TCTTS
AG
AGBU94 said:

Never seen it? How?

I am afraid that I would need to know if you have seen FX, Big Trouble, Escape from New York, and a few other 80's classics before I have confidence in your recommendations again.

Can I borrow your towel, I just ran into a water buffalo....gets me every time.

Ha, I've seen all of those. I've seen every other Chevy Chase classic multiple times as well. But somehow, someway, the Fletch movies just went under my radar. It might have something to do with the fact that I was only four when the first one came out. Who knows, maybe I caught it on a cable years later and just forgot, except that I remember seeing literally every other Chevy Chase comedy from the '80s except that one.
The Porkchop Express
Are we allowed to discuss the other Fletch movies or do we have to wait until you read the books?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Iowaggie
AG
Rocagnante said:

This first instagram post goes through the Fletch characters.

The second goes through his more famous roles, but in that 2nd post...I don't know, he just doesn't look good, maybe it's the old shaky thumb that reminds me of my grandparents when they were pretty old.

https://instagr.am/p/CZaPe8QojF6

It is a little funny that so many of the Instagram crowd knows him primarily as Pierce Hawthorne.

So many of his roles were big viewing in my childhood and 3 of his movies were quoted constantly by me for many years (and still are): Caddyshack, Vacation and Fletch,
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.