The Lincoln Lawyer Netflux

6,655 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Orlando Ayala Cant Read
MookieBlaylock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New series dropped and oh boy this is Oprah network bad

Mickey is now hispanic with a French accent and the actor is laughably bad
Cisco the biker is like 5 foot skinny wimp
Neve Campbell?

Def Binge worthy Wokeflix
ABATTBQ11
AG
Was curious but now I'll pass
suburban cowboy
AG
Should have been non-woke with MM and the movie done with this clown.
AgPediRPh
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Neve Campbell?

Guess you've never read the books. Haller has always been half Mexican
AustinAg2K
I've only watched the first episode, but I don't hate it. Nothing ground breaking, but not awful. For the most part, it seems to be following the novel pretty well, although they changed the defendant from a movie producer to a video game developer. I didn't catch the name of the detective investigating the case, but I don't think it's supposed to be Bosch.

I didn't see anything woke about the show so far. Yes, Haller is a Hispanic actor, but I never felt like race really mattered for the character. The actor certainly isn't as good as McConaughey, but I doubt McConaughey would do a Netflix television show. It's not like the character is going around throwing his ethnicity in people's faces. So far, it's the exact same character. The actor just happens to be Hispanic.
c-jags
AgPediRPh said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Neve Campbell?

Yeah. I think his mom was a Mexican actress Bosch's dad cheated with.
Dad
AG
I had a weird weekend where I had way too much time and watched several episodes and thought it was okay.

I have never read the books before but really like the movie.

I don't like it anywhere near as much as the movie but it was not a bad show to watch when bored.

It makes sense to have the character half Mexican if he is also half Mexican in the book.
LMCane
MookieBlaylock said:

Neve Campbell?

how is Neve Campbell looking these days?
SA68AG
AG
I've watched 2 episodes and it's following the book fairly well.

Not sold on the casting of Lorna and Cisco but I'll give it a fee more episodes. Haller is growing on me.

Overall, I think it's pretty good. Not at the level of early Bosch but worth watching.

TxKng82
AG
The guy who plays Cisco is 6'3"

It's more unbelievable he could pull Lorna
iceman08
AG
I just finished the season, honestly I liked it, at first I was questioning the accent but the simple explanation of his parents was enough for me and I moved on, felt like a big moving puzzle, it worked for me
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Lol, OP, you got a terrible ear for accents. French?!

I did find the accent distracting, but that was certainly not the main issue with the show. The lead completely lacked any charisma. It also felt like a cr*ppy CW show. Awful acting, terrible dialogue, overly dramatized.

I did finish it, so certainly not the worst show. It does have entertainment value, it's just not very good.

5.4/10
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SA68AG
AG
I just finished it and thought it was very good.

I hope they have a season 2. At first I had my doubts about Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Mickey Haller but I ended up liking him better than Matthew McConaughey in this role.

The show stayed reasonably close to The Brass Verdict and was entertaining.
I wish they could have had Harry Bosch in the series like the book but I understand that they couldn't do that because of contractual conflicts. I guess they could have used someone other than Titus Welliver but there's only one Bosch and that is Welliver.

I look forward to several more seasons.
bonfarr
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Neve Campbell?

Agreed,I loved the movie but never read the books. I was excited to see a new series but the lead character seemed completely different than the slick McConnaghey character. I stopped after ep1. Is the character in the books similar to the one in the movie or the series?
SA68AG
AG
bonfarr said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Neve Campbell?

Agreed,I loved the movie but never read the books. I was excited to see a new series but the lead character seemed completely different than the slick McConnaghey character. I stopped after ep1. Is the character in the books similar to the one in the movie or the series?
Haller's mother was from Mexico (ie he's ALWAYS been Hispanic) and it's revealed in the books that he speaks pretty good Spanish. French accent ? Somebody either has never taken French or didn't do well in it.

The answer to your question "Who is more like the character in the books ?" is they both are. The Mickey Haller in the Lincoln Lawyer is a different man from the Mickey Haller in the Brass Verdict. Haller is the Lincoln Lawyer was a much cockier and more sure of himself. He gets shot in the Lincoln Lawyer book (surfing injury in the Netflix) and is exposed to his own mortality and subsequently has problems coping with life. He's a completely different character from one book to the next. Both shows do an accurate job of portraying their book's Mickey Haller.

Houston Lee
AG
The series was good. I enjoyed it.
rlb28
AG
Woke? Gimme a break.

We enjoyed it. Neve Campbell is still hot at 48. Acting wasn't great. Had not seen the movie or read the book.
c-jags
c-jags said:

AgPediRPh said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Neve Campbell?

Yeah. I think his mom was a Mexican actress Bosch's dad cheated with.
i just needed to correct myself here. Haller was the legitimate child of the mexican actress.. Bosch was the illegitimate child.
aquaboss98
AG
Haven't read the books and don't remember much about the movie. I liked this series a lot. Was easy to watch and the story line flowed with the main case and the smaller cases each episode. I don't remember anything "woke" about any of the episodes for sure.
Gig 'Em '98

Leggo My Elko
AG
Watched it when I had Covid. Overall it was not good when compared to actual quality TV.
If you turn off your brain accept it for what it is, it's decent entertainment.
Didn't get any Woke vibes.
VitruvianAg
AG
Didn't know anything about it when we started watching.

My mother was from D.F., we actually lived at the Viscaya on Ave Bucareli when dad was transfered from Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina to Tyler the first time during my first grade. It was my grandparents home. Typical urban lifestyle at a grand Beaux Arts building.

I caught a lot of the subtle "mija" and other Mexican syntax wondering what that was all about until the episode that explained it. I'm not convinced his accent is Mexican, I would have said Columbian or Northern South American, maybe Ecuadorian or Peruvian, not Venezuelan, they are more Caribean like Puerto Rican / Cuban.

My older brother is a lawyer in LA, his office on Wilshire Blvd, so it had a lot of layers of interest for me.

Liked it, probably not with Macona-gey in it though, damn Tea-sip!
captkirk
AG
I thought the show got better as the season went along. I would recommend it.
SA68AG
AG
Great news !

The Lincoln Lawyer will return for season 2 on Netflix. Season 2 will use The Fifth Witness (2011) as the main source material and will be 10 episodes long. The show will return in 2023--no specific release date has been announced .

Potcake
AG
Watched first two episodes tonight, wasn't aware of books or movie. Cool houses, recognized the detective from Treme and we will likely finish it. This is the template for the TA anti-woke contingent.
Sazerac
AG
His Americanized accent is so terrible to start the show.

Just have a natural Mexican American sound…

Hoping it gets better.

Cisco - that dude - is with ex wife 2? Bwahahahaha
Sazerac
AG
Started rough but ended up being ok. Some good twists. Guy playing Haller grew on me.

One thing though, when he gets a call from a cop to go pick up his driver stopped for DUI I could have sworn it was Bosch on the phone.
JoCoAg09
AG
Season 2 is out now just FYI.
beanbean
Nice. I had no idea season 2 was getting ready to come out.
BurnetAggie99
Too bad they can't work in one of these series have Harry Bosch make a guest appearance since Mickey Haller is his half brother and in the books they work together.
MsDoubleD81
AG
beanbean said:

Nice. I had no idea season 2 was getting ready to come out.

Nice since Jack Ryan will be over on Friday.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Feels like I watched season 1 years ago. Completely forgot to even look for S2
htxag09
AG
It's only the first part of season 2, fwiw. Second part is released in August, I believe.
MsDoubleD81
AG
First 5 episodes pretty good!!!
MsDoubleD81
AG
All 10 episodes out now for Season 2. Excellent!!!! And I like this Mickey much better than McConaughey.
sburg2007
On episode 9. Love this show and Mickey. However, Andrea freeman is absolutely atrocious as the prosecuting attorney. I cannot get over how much she sucks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.