Outer Range

18,815 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Gigem314
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hadn't seen anything about this on here yet. Amazon series with Josh Brolin. Looks...eerie. Comes out April 15th.

TCTTS
AG
This looks incredible. Basically sci-fi Yellowstone.
javajaws
AG
Saw some interview where they weren't sure if they could talk about "the hole" or not...then I found this image on another site:

And this one:

GreasenUSA
AG
I'll definitely check this one out.

In the Western's just-released trailer, Josh Brolin stars as Royal Abbott, a Wyoming rancher who discovers an "unfathomable mystery" at the edge of the wilderness. Royal has several immediate problems. The Abbott family is reeling from the disappearance of daughter-in-law Rebecca, and they also have to deal with their gaudy neighbors the Tillersons, who are making a play for their land. Then there's that mysterious black void that arrives in the Abbotts' pasture.

Outer Range also stars Imogen Poots (I Know This Much Is True), Lili Taylor (Perry Mason), Tamara Podemski (Four Sheets to the Wind), Lewis Pullman (Top Gun: Maverick), Tom Pelphrey (Ozark), Noah Reid (*****t's Creek), Shaun Sipos (Krypton), Isabel Arraiza (The Little Things), Olive Abercrombie (The Haunting of Hill House), and Will Patton (Yellowstone).

The show's first two episodes hit Prime Video on April 15, with two more episodes coming each week. The first season consists of eight episodes. Watch the trailer below.
YouBet
AG
Spoiler alert:

TCTTS
AG
Awesome new trailer...

Buck Turgidson
I just watched the first two episodes. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I'm in!
GreasenUSA
AG
That was pretty crazy. Definitely in for the rest of the season.
oragator
Watched episode 1 tonight. Kinda slow but still enjoyable. I had guessed how it would end so that wasn't surprising , but lots of possibilities.

Side note, Lily Taylor as a grandma makes me feel hella old.
javajaws
AG
Watched the first two tonight - thought they were great and can't wait to watch the rest. The second one definitely kicked it up a notch at the end! Josh Brolin is great as usual.
TCTTS
AG
Damn, what a pilot. This is extremely my sh*t.
TCTTS
AG
Paint. It. Black.

Wow.
zgood10
AG
First 2 eps were great. Yellowstone meets Dark
End of ep 2 was wild
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Watched the first episode last night.

This is awesome. A bit on the creepy side. Some utterly gorgeous cinematography.
tylercsbn9
AG
Really really good so far
Houston Lee
AG
These are times when I wish that all episodes were out.
Max Power
AG
I watched both episodes this weekend, I don't know if I like it yet. I will watch more though to find out.
Duncan Idaho
I keep hearing "Lost meets Yellowstone" is that accurate? Or is there a better/more compelling comparison?
Max Power
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I keep hearing "Lost meets Yellowstone" is that accurate? Or is there a better/more compelling comparison?
I don't think I'd use Lost as part of what it reminds me of. Maybe Outer Limits or The Twilight Zone. I do think the drama is more intense and suspenseful than anything on Yellowstone either, IMO. The cast is great so far Josh Brolin, Lili Taylor, Imogen Poots, Tom Pelphrey, and Will Patton. It's not silly, at least so far, like Yellowstone has gotten. I am curious about what role the hole is going to have in potentially dealing with Brolin's lost faith, they've made no secret that religion/God doesn't interest him at the beginning, but then they pray at dinner at his request in the second episode.

I also don't want anything to reference or be inspired by Lost because I just think they really didn't know where that show was going. I enjoyed the first season, but that's about it.
Duncan Idaho
Ok thanks. Outter limits/twilight zone has my interest.

Strange/mysterious I have no problem with and enjoy. I have no interest is a collection of needless puzzles, clues and side quests that are never resolved.
GreasenUSA
AG
Max Power said:

they've made no secret that religion/God doesn't interest him at the beginning, but then they pray at dinner at his request in the second episode.

Did you happen to listen to the second half of that "prayer"?

Max Power
AG
I definitely listened to the whole thing. It illustrates how confused he is about everything. He's talking to god and looking for answers, he's showing vulnerability in front of his whole family. He's basically asking to be proven wrong about his lack of beliefs. The events he's experienced in his life have turned him away from any faith he had, but at this moment in time when he can't make sense of anything, he still tries to speak with god. What's going on isn't strengthening his disbelief, it's on the verge of breaking it. That's how I took it anyway, I'm sure there are other ways of interpreting it.
RogueAg
AG
Watched the first episode last night with the intention of catching 2nd episode later in the week. When ep1 ended.... changed that plan immediately. No way I was gonna wait after how the first one ended.

Interesting show so far... has me hooked.
AgGrad99
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

This is exactly how I described it to a buddy recently.

It's on a ranch, beautiful cinematography, land disputes, family ranch, etc...But mysterious things going on, some sort of magic portal hole, etc.

I think his faith 'crisis' has everything to do with his missing daughter (in-law?). Seems like that situation shook him, and his faith...but he still acknowledges God and that there is something beyond himself...he's just mad at Him for the current circumstance.

Really really liking this show. They casting was perfect.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Gonna watch this tonight.
black_ice
BadMoonRisin said:

Gonna watch this tonight.

Sounds good. I will too.
bam02
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Ok thanks. Outter limits/twilight zone has my interest.

Strange/mysterious I have no problem with and enjoy. I have no interest is a collection of needless puzzles, clues and side quests that are never resolved.

Excellent summary of why I am skeptical of this one.
Flatlander
The cinematography and scenery is indeed great. But I kept looking at the scenery and thinking it looks a lot more like New Mexico than Wyoming. I told my wife, "I'd swear this was filmed near Santa Fe if it weren't for the obvious Teton mountains in the background."

So I checked, and the outdoor scenes are being filmed in New Mexico; areas around Bernadillo and Santa Fe. Now I am wondering if they just photo-shopped the Tetons into the background.
jeffk
AG
These days, anything in the mountains or desert is filmed in NM and anything in a forest is filmed in GA.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, so true.
AgGrad99
AG
I looked it up and saw that it was filmed in Alberta Canada. Is that not right?

I initially thought it looked a lot like Southern Colorado

Edit: appears it was supposed to film in Calgary, but changed to NM after COVId.
Sex Panther
AG
Definitely intrigued so far, this is right up my alley.

As somebody else said... I'd liken it way more to Dark than Lost.

Also, just a reminder that Amazon has the worst UI of all the streaming services by a mile. They don't even tell you when the next episode is coming out.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
*n/m, misread your comment.

Anyway, on episode 2 right now. Intrigued. Looks like decent quality production.
TCTTS
AG
If a streaming platform could have existed in 2005, Amazon is exactly what it would have felt like. It's so damn sh*tty and archaic looking. They can't even manage to use high-quality images for the poster art/icons, which seems like the easiest thing ever.

That said, at least they have 4K video, something even HBO Max doesn't have for its series, and I do like the actor info in any given scene when you pause it.
black_ice
I watched both episodes last night.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.